400 Sixth Street
Annapolis, MD 21403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theblackwallhitch.com/
- Phone: (410) 263-3454
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Tuesday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Wednesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Blackwall Hitch
From the moment you enter Blackwall Hitch in Annapolis’ Historic Eastport, you sense the attention to detail that has been harnessed to bring you and your companions a complete and satisfying dining experience. You sense the urban chic vibe with a connection to history, see and feel the attention to detail with comfortable, creative spaces for gatherings, smell the salty and savory aromas wafting from the oyster bar and dining area, and hear the bustle and music in the pub. After receiving easy-going, yet excellent service, sampling a signature Blackwall Hitch cocktail, and savoring a palate-and-hunger-satiating dinner, the voice in your ear says, “I have found my new favorite place in Naptown!”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Blackwall Hitch - Best Restaurants in Annapolis ›
Blackwall Hitch reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (27)special occasion (25)hot spot (23)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (20)romantic (17)scenic view (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Never on SundayFasteddieDined on 11/9/2014Four of us decided to try the Blackwall Hitch on a cold Sunday night. Perhaps we should have picked a different night. The evening started with drinks that were small but expensive. The food was barely passable and not as described in the menu. The dinning room was very loud and made worse by the terrible music chosen. There were no napkins on the tables and the server who did his best said that someone who sets up things on Sunday did not show up. I am afraid the chef did not show up either.
- OK but noisydinneroutDined on 11/9/2014The food and service were acceptable, but my party of four couldn't hear each other talk because the music was so loud. We were there for dinner on a Sunday evening. I may give the place another chance for lunch, but what I remember about the restaurant is the irritating noise level.
- BrunchJeanneDined on 11/9/2014We went for brunch and the place is great; and the food was pretty good. It was a standard brunch buffet - not worth $25 to me; but it was in an awesome location and the service was very good as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitTRACYBDined on 11/7/2014Food was great . Tables are close together and ambience was extremely loud. We had an excellent service named Katie.Special Features:
- New Hotspot!Naptowngirl22Dined on 10/29/2014After being to Blackwall Hitch numerous times it only seems to get better and better. They have great food, service, and ambiance. Great for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceAnonymousDined on 10/28/2014The food was excellent - I think Blackwall Hitch has one of the best menus in town, as there is something there for everyone. The quality of food couldn't be better. The service is also excellent. Andrew was our server and he was hands-down one of the best, if the THE best, server I have ever had. Attentive, helpful, knowledgeable of menu items, and exceedingly courteous. I couldn't have had a better dining experience. The ambiance is fabulous too, I love the way it is decorated.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I enjoyed a delicious lunch with two friends, who also raved about their meals and the restaurant as a whole. The décor was beautiful, the location was perfect, and the food was very fresh and tasty. As an added bonus, they have ample free parking which is hard to come by over the bridge at the city dock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent DinerLindaWDined on 10/16/2014Blackwall's not the spectacular place it was when first opened this year but still a cut above most. Overall food prep and execution not at 5 star levels. Fish tacos always superb and oysters good and fresh.Special Features:
- Had a great timeGoneGatorDined on 10/11/2014Service was prompt and courteous, food delightful, free on-site parking a plus. Great oyster selection. Before dining, had heard mixed reviews but wife and I were pleased. On the down side, it was loud and they had no Stoli for my martini.Special Features:
- group dinnerPrettyGoodDined on 10/11/2014we had 7 people in our party, this place did a great job of giving us good service in a timely manner on a very busy Saturday night!!Special Features:
- bad experience during boat showAgusjkzzDined on 10/10/2014We had dinner during one of the boat show days. The service was awful. I realize that boat show weekends are very busy for Annapolis restaurants, but the boat show is not a surprise. They should have had more waitstaff on hand and be better trained. It took too long for our waitress to ask for our drink orders. Two of our party ordered the tomahawk steak, which was quite comical for all the wrong reasons. It was served on a plane plate and was not sliced. One of our party had to stand up and use a glorified butter knife (with a sharp point) to butcher the meat. It was under-seasoned and definitely not a good selection. The restaurant had a nice decor. Hostess made no attempt to thank us as we left. Do not eat here, it will not last long.Special Features:
- commercials work!alwayshungryDined on 10/4/2014Saw a commercial and booked reservation for the following Saturday. Greeted by hostess and only had to wait 2 min to get seated. Had the scallops and risotto AMAZING and ROCKFISH REVISITED We will be back!Special Features:
- DisappointedDMWilDined on 9/27/2014We were promptly seated in the back dining room. Our table was directly behind a large farmhouse type of table. We quickly noticed a very strong breeze coming from the above vents. When we asked staff if they could adjust they did apologize and said the couple next to us had just moved for the same reason but they did not have extra tables now. Another staff member reported,"management knows we constantly get complaints from this table, it is a $500 dollar fix and they have done nothing". We ordered crab dip and shrimp appetizer. It was cold very fast due to the extreme a/c blowing. The menu was recently updated and they no longer have a chicken entree -unless you want a wrap or sandwich it is steak or seafood.
- Don't go on Fri. nightMasonDined on 9/26/2014Too noisy for me when full. First time I went, there were only a few tables busy. We did have cocktails on the roof which was nice, but I did cancel my reservations to go back today. Depends if you are there to enjoy the company you are with or only dine.Special Features:
- Time to Step It Up Blackwall HitchWayFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was my 3rd or 4th visit since they opened in May. Each time I've gone, something has not been right with our meal. This time, service was excruciatingly slow for a 1:00 lunch on a Friday, with 2 servers tending our table. My friend had to wait 15 minutes, after multiple requests, for sugar for her once hot tea. She ordered a well done burger/no bun; we received medium rare burger/no bun. Basically by the time her burger was prepared to her liking (really, how do you mess up well done??)...we were 2 friends having separate meals at the same table. I f you are avoiding any foods, be sure to ask your server if there are other ingredients not listed on the menu. I found this to be true.Special Features:
- Enjoyed itTommyBoyDined on 9/23/2014Had a great meal and ambiance was great, too. Review needs to be fifty characters
- Not fit for foodiesnaptownfoodiesDined on 9/22/2014We went to BH for the first time this weekend. Though our server was friendly, his lack of knowledge about the menu led us to lack confidence in what would come out of the kitchen. And we were, in fact, disappointed in the kitchen. The prawn appetizer was tasteless and tough; the mussels overcooked and salty; the crab cake had too much filler; and the salad was overdressed. Overall the restaurant felt like it's striving toward fine dining, but it certainly under-delivers, and the food quality seemed poor. Pricing on the wine was also off. We ordered two glasses of a $13/glass wine, and our server offered us a bottle instead at $65. Figuring 4-5 glasses/bottle, there is no incentive to get a full bottle.Special Features:
- Over priced, menu lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014My Santa Fe wrap was so bad all I ate was the French fries. Cafeteria style food at fine dining prices. Waste of time and money! Now I know why they don't offer their menu on line.
- Room for ImprovementEatingoutAnnapolisVIPDined on 9/12/2014We grabbed lunch at BH on a beautiful September afternoon. The outdoor seating on the deck is outstanding! We ordered the charcuterie and steamed shrimp as apps. Both were very disappointing. The charcuterie was comprised of meats that you would find at the Safeway deli counter. The shrimp were overcooked. We complained about the shrimp that they promptly apologized and removed them from our bill. The manager on duty came to our table to apologize about the shrimp. A very nice touch. Our server was very pleasant, if a bit slow at times (we had to find our own napkins and utensils...). Lunch itself was pretty solid. The fish tacos were excellent. This place has incredible potential, all they need is more attention to the details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014First time visit. Had a sample of your food a Arts Alive, excellent! Diverse enough menu even though personally I don't eat much seafood. Waiter was pleasant, helpful, and the right amount of attention. Negative, servings were too large! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new must go to spot in annapolisRaRaDined on 9/7/2014The food is great - the ambience rocks- the view is great - the music is perfect - the place is a find!Special Features:
- dineroutDined on 9/6/2014Overall okay. However, $12 for four clams casino and $11.95 for a martini was pretty steep considering the prices for main menu items. Seated by a corner table that forced me to move because of constant wait staff traffic through the door leading downstairs. Ordered two glasses of cabernet and both of them were served very warm. Told the manager about the warm wine who responded they must have been stored improperly.
- just not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014I liked everything about it besides the food. The jalapeno poppers didnt taste like anything. The ceasar salad had a good flavor, the ceviche and shrip avacado was fair. The mahi mahi tacos looked good but again not alot of flavor. just not impressed
- cauchycaucDined on 9/2/2014poor quality meat. the potatoes tasted like left overs. the dessert was described as a chocolate mousse hybut in fact was a stale chocolate cake with a filling. very disappointing and expensive for the food quality. May be Monday nights are not good for dinning! Hesitant to try a second time.
- HORRIBLEdizzilizziDined on 8/31/20145 of us dining. My drink order came out wrong, I never received the correct one until I was almost fnished my meal. All food came out luke warm and orders were all wrong, waiter dropped ice/water on my husband, we had to ask 3 times for water refills, They ran out of some desserts. They brought my son a 2nd drink at the end of his meal that he did not order. His girlfriend asked to sub french fries for salad, was told no problem, got the french fries, he came back with the salad half way through the meal and then charged us for a full salad. My daughter's Ribeye was fatty. My husband ordered a salad, it came out with his meal instead of before his meal. Never given rolls like other tables got. Just plain HORRIBLE!
- Wonderful brunch!Newtrack2000Dined on 8/31/2014I had the wonderful brunch buffet here on Sunday! The food was fresh and delicious and there were many options as well as unlimited mimosas. Wonderful service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - scatterbrained serviceCaroMADined on 8/31/2014Brunch food was good however over all experience was terrible as wait staff was scatterbrained, inept, forgetfull, and slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!brunchcrewDined on 8/31/2014Beautiful, vibrant decor! Many menu choices. Food was delicious! Just right for brunch with girlfriends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant, Food FineDKMCB39Dined on 8/30/2014Decorations were beautiful, atmosphere great, service good, food was fine/good/not bad. Enjoyed the experience but not sure I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but dirty wine glassesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014Nice place, beautiful view from the roof top dining area. Food is good, not great but good. Oddly though in the bar before dinner my wife's wine glass had a huge lipstick imprint on it from the previous drinker and mine was just plain dirty. Not that I needed a free drink but great customer service would have been to N/C the drinks. Went upstairs for dinner and the table right next to us was in the process of sending all 4 of their wine glasses back because they were dirty! Anyway - great view, good food and a really nice waiter - Jason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemreadytoeatDined on 8/30/2014Unique atmosphere, great place to hang out! Our service was great, loved the roof top bar, views and dinning. The burgers and pizza's were really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodFurioDined on 8/30/2014We arrived at 5pm due to friends' experience of a later dinner hour on a Friday (food was excellent but too many people and too much "energy"). The staff was very attentive, portions were more than plentiful and the decor was soothing. We eat crab cakes all over Maryland and agreed that these were the *crabbiest* crab cakes ever. The sauteed spinach was magical and the steamed shrimp were delicious. We're going back next week to start working our way through the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This was our fourth visit to Blackwall Hitch. The food has always been very good. My favorite is the Swobb Salad. This past visit ,however, was absolutely horrible in reference to service. Had to ask for water refills, drinks refills, more bread for the crab dip cause it came with such a small amount to start. We ate upstairs, which is beautiful. However, our table was against a wall which is alright but we had to use the flashlight app on our cell phones to read the menu and the bill because it was so dark. There were no candles, lights etc by our tables. We will take a break from Blackwall Hitch till we hear that the kinks are ironed out.Special Features:
- My new fav spot!cfmartoranaDined on 8/22/2014Great food and service... got a private room too! Soooo much fun!Special Features:
- Greatest Burgers and Crab CakesHelenDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful food. Service was good. When calling for the change from 8 to 9 in our party, I wasn't given the choice of inside or outside. After our meal we checked out the upstairs and found a beautiful outside deck with a great view over the area. We would have preferred eating outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the Blackwall Hitch reviews archive.
- Fun find in AnnapolisOnToIrelandDined on 7/9/2014We had a party of 8 for dinner and conversation. BH settled into a private room, away from the vibrant scene in the Bar area. Drinks and food were excellent, the wait staff attentive but not hovering and the ambiance was first rate. We had a wonderful time and will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Eastport FavoritesoccerdanVIPDined on 6/7/2014We went to Blackwall Hitch to celebrate our anniversary and really enjoyed it. We liked the contemporary black and white color scheme. All the food was great, if maybe on the rich side. All in all we will definitely be back, especially to sit on the roof top deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will try againBrunchfor3Dined on 5/26/2014our server was great and the food was good but lacking in portions for the price. We (5 of us) ordered the stuffed jalapeño appetizer and were all very deflated when it came to the table with only 2 peppers on the plate. For the $10 price tag, that was hugely disappointing. Even though he was great overall, our server should have let us know it only came with 2. It is a new place though so we will give it another try. My shrimp and grits was the best I've ever had and my husbands mahi tacos were also really good. But our guests said both the rockfish "revisited" and crab carbonara were lacking in flavor. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great new place to check outFullandfedDined on 5/24/2014Great ambiance, special drinks & food. I had the shrimp & lobster linguine, which was good but not for the price. The rest of the table really enjoyed their meals. I would definitely return. They did a great job renovating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice add to Annapolis dining sceneSatisfiedCustomerDined on 5/24/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at this new restaurant and I can only see it getting better once some of the newly opening kinks get worked out. We will be back.Special Features: