Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar
11318 N Community House Rd Suite 200
Charlotte, NC 28277Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackthornerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7048175554x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Blake Hartwick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Entertainment: Live music Wednesday - Saturday.
A word from Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar
Casual American Bistro style which offers a wonderful variety of menu selections to please every palate. The warm, inviting atmosphere is complemented by our knowledgeable and attentive service staff. Whether you are looking for a pleasant lunch, family or business dinner, a great date night, or lively bar atmosphere, Blackthorne will deliver. From mid March through October, weather permitting, Blackthorne opens its European style rooftop patio with full service bar, excellent menu, and live entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ballantyne ›
Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- NiceKathyDined on 8/29/2014The food was good, the service excellent, but what was awesome, you can stay late night and they will wait until you are ready to leave!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Very small dinner portions for the price. Have been there 3 other times with no issues don't know what happened there.
- Book club !YankeeFanVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were happily given a back table and the service was fantastic. Looked like indoor business was overall slow for a Thursday night but we didn't mind. The food was amazing, so much better than expected! I had the Ahi Tuna special over risotto and the chef was able to accommodate my dairy free needs. Delicioso! I will dream about the dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014I had the flat bread for an appetizer, which was good. I ended up ordering the mussles appetizer for my main meal and it was not good. It came out cold and the muscles were microscopic. What about the good old days where you tell your supplier these are no good, and you don't serve them that night.Special Features:
- Bridge friends night oute2fanVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everyone raved about their dinner. Presentation was lovely. Service was exceptional. We will do it again.Special Features:
- Great Queens Feast MenuEllaDuChienDined on 7/24/2014We went to Blackthorne for Queens Feast and I though their menu was fantastic! Plenty to choose from and all of it very good. Our table tried several of the different items and all were good and some were great. I especially liked the roast chicken. The only critique that I have is the restaurant can get noisy, the acoustics are not the greatest so it gets loud. Not a major issue, just a note. I would certainly return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food - great serviceEnjoyEveryBiteDined on 7/23/2014Our waiter Donnie was awesome. Food came out quickly and every bite was delicious. The lobster crab dip had a great taste. The steak was cooked to perfection. You know it is good when you are savoring each bite and don't want the meal to end. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:
- Good first time experienceDraley13Dined on 7/22/2014Friendly and attentitive staff. Beef brisket appetizer was over cooked and touch to cut but had good flavor with the sauce. Rest of meal was delicious and well prepared. Steak was cooked exactly how I asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedEieshaVIPDined on 7/14/2014The food was not very good. Service was great, but would never eat there again. Drinks are pretty good. The ambience was not impressive.
- Has potentialBdayguyDined on 7/11/2014This was our second visit. The first was great. Would like to see this place succeed but frankly, the food was just too ordinary. Nothing that would pull us back. Took a step back this last time. Kitchen failed in cooking our steaks as ordered, ended up very well done and close to shoe leather. Wait staff was excellent. Had fun at the roof-top patio bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodnania38VIPDined on 6/29/2014I like that they have locally grown vegetables and free range chicken on their ingredient list. The food was good, the service was great- really nice waitress. Outdoor upstairs rooftop dining is cute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Experience!ChefBillDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I had a 7pm reservation. We were seated in toward the back of the restaurant where there was a party of eight and a party of six already seated. It was extremely loud and I wanted to be moved toward the front where it was quieter. The server ignored us. We waited for fifteen minutes and still no one stopped at out table.....no water, no drink order, nothing. In the meantime, two others parties of two were seated in the front and had already gotten their drinks. It was obvious to me that the server was more interested in the larger parties than us. We walked out after telling the manager of our experience. Never again!!!
- good for client meetingsJoshVIPDined on 6/20/2014My sponsor always enjoys getting together for lunch at Blackthorne - hope to make it back for dinner sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Ballantyne RestaurantLuvThatSpecialTreatDined on 6/19/2014We were a group of eight first timers for mid-week dinner. The menu was varied, above the standard with a few surprises and decent prices. Our service was very efficient and they used the team servers so that everyone was served at the same time. The only drawback was the noise level, a little loud, but we managed to visit without resorted to shouting and eventually the room cleared and we stayed on. Everyone agreed they would return to try other dishes on the menu. Don't overlook the Brunswick stew soup course .. it was so tasty. We are so fortunate to have a good choice of quality restaurants down this way.Special Features:
- MemphisBelleDined on 6/15/2014We went there on Father's Day for Brunch. I was expecting a little more extensive menu. Mainly routine breakfast items, salads, and sandwiches. I had a Cobb Salad that was good, but didn't really want a salad or same old sandwich. Expected a few entrees and veggie selections with it being farm to table. I think it is great if you need a quick bite to eat, but I was expecting something a little more special.Special Features:
- The place was emptyFoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014We were one of 3 tables in the restaurant. The food was good, but it came out VERY slow, which shocked me considering there were only 2 other tables in there! The service was also a bit slow. Not sure why the place was so empty on a Saturday night... that seemed odd to me. Maybe just because of the slow service? I can't imagine this place will survive much longer. Regarding the menu, they had a good beer selection (I didn't pay attention to the wines/cocktails). I had the Salmon and my husband had the filet- both entrees were good. The Crab and lobster app was delicious as well.
- A Well Kept SecretluvgoodfoodDined on 6/8/2014I visited last Sunday for lunch with two others and found Blackthorne outstanding in virtually every regard. Food was superb, atmosphere was good and service could not have been better. Blackthorne has a great bar with several TVs and we'll be in there during football season for sure. There was a very small crowd which was surprising. It's a little off the beaten path but very conveniently located in Ballantyne. Great rooftop bar and dining too when the weather permits. This place is worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDined on 5/30/2014Limited choices especially for those on restrictive diets.
- The following 279 reviews are from the Blackthorne Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Fair FoodMommaMouseVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is our 2nd try at Blackthorne. The caesar salad had barely any dressing or flavor as did the main courses. We were disappointed in the food and I don't recommend Blackthorne. The waitstaff and hostesses were all very friendly. The restaurant is clean and nicely decorated, just sadly the food doesn't live up.Special Features:
- Good 2nd Choice restaurantJoeyDined on 5/17/2014Our experience was pleasant, with the service being very good, the food, ambiance and noise levels were better than most places. What I would have rather seen was a larger menu. I had a hard time choosing my entrée, as there are not a lot of choices. I will definitely visit again, but I won't rush right over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Average Serviceesselent1Dined on 5/11/2014I found the menu to be diverse and our entrees to be very good. My wife commented that it appeared our waiter would disappear for long stretches of time. Another waitress in the same section would often attend us. Although the service was just average, I would still recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- suckedyummyVIPDined on 5/5/2014Food was boring and barely average service seemed to be more about them then the customer
- Gourmet restaurantTonyDined on 5/3/2014Blackthorne was a good restaurant. The food was presented nicely, although the portions are somewhat small. Great wine list and the mussels appetizer is a must. Plenty of parking around and convenient location in Ballantyne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatAWDinerDined on 5/2/2014The food is fantastic but the service is so so... I had specifically requested an outside table but was not given one. I appreciate outside seating may not be reserved but the restaurant should have said so when the reservation came in. Inside is so dark and seems more fit for winter time.Special Features:
- Food was good, but not the servicecoachVIPDined on 4/26/2014Our meal was good, albeit the mahi mahi I ordered, was not big at all....in fact, I was still hungry after the entree. The biggest disappointment during the meal was our waiter. I don't know if he's new or if he was on something because he was a complete and utter flake. He asked us what we wanted to drink, we placed our order only to have him come back 10 mins later and ask if we know what we would like to drink...hugh? Then we asked what the specials were and he said he would be back and had to go check. Now normally, this would be okay, but it was 9 o'clock at this point and if he doesn't know the specials at this point, then that's a problem. All in all, the food was okay, but the service really fell flat.
- Surprisingly Excellent FoodLarryrfDined on 4/26/2014I took my wife for our first visit to Blackthorne. The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable. We began with their Portabello mushroom fries and they were hot, with a crunchy crust, and delicious. My wife had the flatiron steak cooked perfectly, tender, and tasty. I ordered the bison short ribs, so tender that a gentle fork separated them from the bone. Each dish came with amazing sauces and sides and were wonderfully presented. This place was a delight, a foodie must try, and the best part was the modest prices for such delightful fare.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoLuv2DineOutDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant was not very busy, but food was very good. The rooftop bar is great. Nice breeze, live music after 7pm and very at attentive wait staff and bartenders. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SelectionJennyLeeDined on 4/20/2014Made late reservations for Easter dinner and, while not a thematic offering, Blackthorne offered a perfect all around selection of seafood and meats to please our party of four, including two teens. Service was a bit slow at first, but very personable and then turned around quickly when food was delivered. Each entree was very unique in it's offering, with a variety of flavors to appeal to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!WaterManDined on 4/16/2014Blackthorne is kind of hidden, we drove around the block a couple of times before we could find it. When we did arrive, the front of it was a bit dark, and we didn't know what we were getting into. Boy were we surprised! The service was great, the food was delicious, and we decided we were going to come back soon.Special Features:
- My only complaint was theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014My only complaint was the waiter seemed to rush us. Otherwise,great place. Music on the rooftop wonderful!Special Features:
- reviewchrisDined on 3/31/2014Great atmosphere was there for lunch we sat at a high top upstairs there was a blonde hair waitress that was on top of her job. The food was ok. We had a couple of glasses of wine so the overall experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were recently introducedDaveDined on 3/29/2014We were recently introduced to Blackthorne by family members, and have already returned there with friends. The ambience is warm and welcoming, and the noise level is conversation friendly. The food and service were excellent both times. We will definitely return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choiceDAvidDined on 3/28/2014Blackthorne is one of those good-to-go-anytime restaurants. While not in my short list of memorable eateries (a very short list) my wife and I agree that it is on the short list of restaurants when the question is, "Where do we want to go out for dinner?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average but plenty of potentialJCStarnesVIPDined on 3/24/2014Everything from the decor and aesthetics to the service and food were "good", but nothing more. With just a little focus on each aspect, this could be a great South Charlotte spot!Special Features:
- The unique menu makes thisCharlieVIPDined on 3/15/2014The unique menu makes this a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Company outingSRoyDined on 3/11/2014The food was very good. Although I was quite disappointed that bread pudding was taken off the desert menu. Always a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food always very gooddavesDined on 3/10/2014food here is always great, but they almost always do have the draft beer that they advertise this time the service was not good waiter was not attentiveSpecial Features:
- Everything we perfect. OurMooseDined on 3/1/2014Everything we perfect. Our party of 6 really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Great Food, But....ArrieDined on 2/23/2014We had very good meals at this restaurant this past Sunday night. We wanted to eat a little early, so I asked for a 6:30 reservation. We were told we could have 6 or 7:30, so chose 6. When we arrived there were only three other occupied tables, and when we left at about 7:45, there were only two other occupied tables. The rest of the tables were empty the whole time. So why we could not be seated at 6:30 is a puzzle. Even with so few patrons, the waiter was quite inattentive, not bringing drinks for some time, forgetting steak knives, and not refilling water. The food was great, but service was not, and with so few diners, one would wonder about the future of the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good DinnerGoodScallopsDined on 2/19/2014I had the scallops entree and the deviled eggs. Both tasted delicious. I especially enjoyed the small carmelized bacon on top of my deviled eggs. The scallop entree came with three individual scallops, with crab cakes placed beneath them. They were both excellant. My roommie had the filet mignon, while it was good, it was not the best she has ever had.Special Features: