Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge
595 Hespeler Road South
Cambridge, ON N1R 6J3Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackshop.ca/
- Phone: 5196214180
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am to 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental
- Executive Chef: Dan Potter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering events contact us 519 621 4180
- Private Party Facilities: The Blackshop Private Room can accommodate up to sixty guests, but smaller groups of fifteen, twenty or thirty, feel just as comfortable. All the food is prepared on the premises from fresh, quality ingredients. Be it a business function, anniversary, wedding, baptism or any other occasion that calls for quality in an elegant setting choose Blackshop, and experience a flawless dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 5196214180
A word from Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge
A Cambridge landmark, this lively restaurant offers both inventive and traditional cooking, delivered in a casual yet elegant atmosphere. The restaurant's ambiance is comfortable and appealing, providing quality food, at the right price in an unpretentious way. The restaurant features aged steaks and lamb, along with fresh seafood, pastas and daily features. The bar offers a wine spectator award winning wine list, along with an extensive choice of scotch, and draught beer. The staff is professional yet friendly. An excellent choice for a business dinner, romantic get away or a great dinner for one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (31)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (19)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (15)late-night find (8)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- A true gem!!BirdieVIPDined on 10/21/2014Travelling east from ?Stratford, we stopped here for dinner. What a welcome surprise. A truly elegant, beautiful dining room and bar area. Service was exceptional from our waitress, Tracy!! But the food was so perfectly prepared. I had the bet cooked halibut I have e er tasted. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ranchofanDined on 10/16/2014This was a special birthday and our server brought a a special dessert with candle for the birthday guest. We all loved our appetizers. My schnitzel was excellent but the vegetables were quite bland. Overall an excellent evening!Special Features:
- VarietyDixiecupDined on 10/9/2014The menu features a variety of choices. My personal favourite is the Seafood Combination plate for lunch. Our server was attentive and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free friendlyDooeeyDined on 9/7/2014Was super stoked to find a great restaurant that has a large selection of gluten free items... Even gluten free bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rediscovering a local gemwontonwomanDined on 9/7/2014Four of us had lunch here on Sunday. Good food, good friends, good times: does it get any better than that? With one of us recovering from recent knee replacement surgery, we were given a number of choices for where we'd be comfortably seated. Imagine: a charming private small dining room, quiet enough to hear our conversation, an interesting menu, attentive service, and easy access. Sunday's soup, roasted leak and garlic, with homemade croutons plus the beef sandwich brought a satisfied sigh from one diner. Jambalaya spicing varied to suit individual preference, replete with shrimp, chicken and sausage morsels, and fresh vegetables. Yum! Be sure to try mango and crispy crunch sorbets for dessert... We all want to return soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdavicloeDined on 9/4/2014very pleasant lunch dining experience....would definitely go there again when in the area...stayed for 3 hours to chat with friends...great outdoor area to have a coffee after mealSpecial Features:
- Don't let the location fool you.JenniferVIPDined on 9/1/2014It had been quite some time since I had been to Blackshop. I was reminded of what a nice restaurant it is. The "covered" patio is a great place to chill with friends. I enjoy being out in the main dining area as opposed to one of the more private "rooms". The service and food were good. You would never think that a nice place like this could pull it off being on Hwy#24 and it's busy location. They've done a great job of making you feel like your somewhere else. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 8/31/2014Great prime rib special on Sunday evening and lots of other options. Schnitzel was awesome ! Attentive staff and several smaller rooms for quieter dining if required. Very enjoyable! Outside patio looked interesting as well.Special Features:
- AmandaBozDined on 8/28/2014Hadn't been to the new location since it opened. Not as picturesque but more up to date and the patio is placed perfectly away from the road and surrounded by lovely greenery making it feel like a more removed location. Food and service were both wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodFurbyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very good service, a nice ambiance and a quiet spot. Mostly good food except crab cakes and schnitzel were both slightly overdone. Nothing else notableSpecial Features:
- Red1Dined on 8/19/2014We celebrated a birthday dinner in a private dining room. The room was great as we had a lot of fun and chatter and felt we were not disturbing other patrons. The waitress Andrina was great - very personable and fun. Teh only down side was no foie gras which the birthday girl had on a previous visit and was looking forward to again. Will definitely book here again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner!!AndiandWayneDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at Black Shop, and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience!! The food was spectacular; we highly recommend the appetizer platter to share (the baked goat cheese was my favourite)!! My husband had the Paella and I had the Beef Tenderloin...they were both fantastic!! The service was outstanding and the special dessert was a real treat..Steven took great care of us!! The beer and wine lists are fantastic, especially since they have my favourite brew, Steam Whistle, on tap!!! We had an amazing time, and we will definitely be back!! Thanks Black Shop!!Special Features:
- One of my favourite restaurantsGLM777Dined on 8/10/2014Blackshop is one of my favourite restaurants for lunch or brunch. The menu is very appealing with an interesting variety and good selection of dishes; likewise, there is a very good beer and wine selection. The food has always been excellent, consistently, on every visit. Service is always professional and pleasant. On our most recent visit, we dined outside on the patio for the first time as it was a beautiful day. The patio area is very attractive, and there was sufficient shade to be comfortable - perfect temperature. One of our group tried the mini-dessert; it was beautifully presented and not too big, a great idea. And lastly, I find the prices to be very reasonable, especially when you consider the quality of the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Patio for Outdoor DiningDianeJDined on 8/5/2014My son and I went to Blackshop for a birthday dinner ! All the food and drinks were excellent - from appetizers through to entree and finally dessert. Not our first visit and definitely not our last. We will be sure to return !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Enjoyed the food, very tasty and well balanced. The service was excellent, cannot say enough about that, the waitress was knowledgeable and very helpful with the beverages....she made iced tea without sugar from an actual pot of tea (not a can). She answered all my questions as I was not familiar with the menu, it was my first time at your establishment. I thought the evening as a whole was an excellent experience and was conducive to my reservation...it was our wedding anniversary. Thank you for making it memorable.Special Features:
- FantasticEmptyNestDiningDined on 7/26/2014We have dined at this restaurant on a number of occasions and it has always been FantasticSpecial Features:
- Excellent cuisineannqDined on 7/23/2014Delicious, unique cuisine and wonderful ambience. A favorite restaurant of mine - never disappoints!Special Features:
- Amazing DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Drove by this restaurant many times, and finally decided to have dinner for my boyfriend's birthday. It is just as good as all the reviews I have read up on for this restaurant. The ambiance is great, the food was delicious, staff very friendly and quick service. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Everything was GREATPARADISE1Dined on 7/17/2014From the moment we walked in we were greated with VERY friendly staff. We were shown to our table (outside)right away. Our waitress greated us in a VERY friendly manner and was VERY gracious thought the whole evening. The atmousphere in the outdoor patio was the best I have seen in any restruant in the Waterloo region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the Blackshop Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- BrunchSteeleFamilyDined on 6/21/2014The food was excellent, great variety. What really stood out though was the service. Our waitress truly went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed ourselves and the rest of the staff there seemed equally engaged with our visit. It honestly was a very memorable experience and I will be telling my friends and family about it and encourage they visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...slow servicenjdinerDined on 6/20/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. The food was great! Unfortunately it was a long drawn out meal due to the slow service. It was a very long time in between our apps and main course (45minutes). Rather than apologize and/or give an explanation our waitress simply avoided us during this time. Perhaps this was an off night, but not sure I would take a chance on returning as a result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Wonderful restaurant for a special occasion. They made us very welcome and accommodated all of our needs. Definitely going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good, As ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014We had a great meal celebrating Father's Day. Only drawback was that my daughter forgot that she didn't like the banana-like sauce that came with her salmon dish. Maybe change up the sauce once in a while?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fathers day!ScootervilleDined on 6/15/2014Very enjoyable meal. All three guests enjoyed their choices. The fried Brie and cranberry chutney was delicious. The chicken schnitzel was crispy and cheesy, really enoyed the spaghetti squash. Ate on the patio. Server very accommodating in regard to requests. Asked for a certain item to be eliminated from entree and had no problem in achieving this. Enjoyed the special touch in the writing (in chocolate) of "happy fathers day" on the dessert plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindShelleyDDined on 6/14/2014We celebrated Father's Day on Saturday, June 14th. The service was excellent, as was the food. Our only complaint was that the tables were very close together. We could overhear the conversation at the next table, and felt that they were listening to ours as well. It was a bit disconcerting.
- awwwwwonderfulfoodDined on 6/14/2014This is truly a gem. When we got there I mentioned that it was my husband's birthday and we wanted a more secluded table. When it came to the dessert my husband's dessert had a candle and Happy Birthday in chocolate sauce lettering on the plate. This was such a nice touch and they certainly went the extra mile doing this. We did mention that the appetizer was not hot enough temperature wise and received complimentary desserts. Other than this issue the food was excellent and the service was fantastic!! We would certainly travel from Toronto to visit this restaurant again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 19 Appreciative guests19FloridaFriendsDined on 6/14/2014Our friends from Florida group, met once again for lunch (brunch) at Blackshop. One couple surprised us by flying from Nova Scotia to join in our little celebration. The staff was so accommodating when another couple showed up (reservation was for 15). The food was excellent, as it has been any time we visit. Our first experience was a Mothers Day Brunch at least 4 years ago. We have never been disappointed.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerHappyFamDined on 6/12/2014We enjoyed a memorable evening at the Blackshop celebrating our daughter's graduation from university! Wonderful food, superb service - a place we have been to and will return for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014We we're meeting friends in Cambridge...neither of us we're familiar with restaurants in the area. I looked on Trip Advisor and chose Blackshop....we we're very pleased with the meal and the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!!!!MeanSpitfireDined on 6/5/2014Went for our 33rd anniversary. Our first, but certainly not last visit at that restaurant. My wife had the Peppercorn Steak and I had the Top Sirloin, the best I ever had anywhere on this planet, and I indeed have had that dish at quite a few restaurants on both sides of the Equator over the past several years. Our waiter, Steve, truly went out of his way to make our meal a superb experience. I find the wine list could be more extensive, but it does seem to cover a variety of tastes. My wife had a dessert that she truly enjoyed. I had a dozen white roses sent there, and phoned the Blackshop asking them precisely when I wanted them brought to our table. They obliged 'perfectly'. I cannot find a negative point to raise. Way above average!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantBardboundtravellerDined on 6/3/2014One of the better restaurants in Cambridge. It has a sheltered out door area as well as a more traditional patio. The inside is broken into several rooms and a bar area. The bar and the main area with its fireplace can be noisy. It was when were were there last. And the place was far from full. The food is good and reasonably priced. The pasta special was very tasty. The scallop appetizer was tasty. Ok for sharing if you ably want a taste: two each. The wines by the glass list is Ok but could be longer. Given the location, someone will be driving and only want one drink with dinner. I liked the Malbec on offer better than the Merlot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinglove2dineoutDined on 5/26/2014Expect 4 or 5 star service and food here. Did not get this time.
- Night and DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014This was our second experience with The Blackshop in a couple of weeks. This experience was like night and day compared to the previous occasion. The service was impeccable. We were even informed of daily specials. The appetizers and entrees were incredible which is what we have always enjoyed at The Blackshop. The flavours and presentation were perfect. It was a most enjoyable evening. I would recommend The Blackshop wholeheartedly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!Blondie451Dined on 5/18/2014Food and service was amazing. Portion sizes were perfect. Everyone's dish was perfect. Not one complaint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItsjoDined on 5/10/2014The room we were in looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's. The steak had very little taste to it, especially considering how much you pay for it! The service was pleasent, but I probably wouldn't attend againSpecial Features:
- Great Cambridge Find!Goldielocks11Dined on 5/7/2014Took a shot on this for my cousin's 21st birthday. What a treat. Even though we hadn't booked in a separate room, our hostess immediately suggested we may want more privacy (i thought this was a great value-add instead of being plunked down to someone else). The ambiance is fantastic and my husband (both a foodie AND wine-o) immediately dove into their offerings. We really had a great experience and most definitely will be back. I work in sales and can easily place this in my top 10 of local establishments I'll be treating clients to. Great GREAT place!Special Features:
- Great Experiencethe4ofusDined on 4/27/2014We visited your restaurant with Canadian/Swiss friends. They are very particular about all aspects of restaurants including food, service and ambience. They have no problem expressing their opinion if something is not up to par. In your restaurants they were most impressed and could not say enough about an excellent dining experience. Of course my wife and myself fully agreed with their assessment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outRosemaryDined on 4/26/2014Four of us decided to try Blackshop for dinner before going to the Dunfield Theatre. It was the perfect choice as we were able to take our time having dinner and chatting. It was quiet in the restaurant so we were able to enjoy our conversations without having to raise our voices. It was a very enjoyable evening and I would recommend Blackshop for a nice evening out. I am from Toronto and plan to return in July to celebrate a friend's retirement.Special Features:
- I love the BlackshopDrewBDined on 4/12/2014Excellent service from our server, Tamie. Great food as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night outKarelDined on 4/11/2014It was our first time at Blackshop and we enjoyed our dinner from start to finish. Staff is very pleasant and professional. If you have a special occasion to celebrate, this is the place to go to. Food was amazing. We will be back in the future. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.