4883 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 342-9101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 2:00; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30, Friday 5:30 - 11:00, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00, Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Mike Huff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlackSalt offers semi-private areas of the restaurant that will accommodate up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sole, General Manager 2023429101x
A word from BlackSalt
BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
BlackSalt - Best Restaurants in Palisades Northwest ›
BlackSalt reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Food is very good. The service was a bit odd.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/23/2014The food is great, so fresh, honestly one of the best seafood places in DC. We had an odd experience with service, a server pick up our credit cards and check and then our server spent nearly 20 minutes trying to track it down while we became increasingly concerned that someone had taken off with our credit cards. It ruined the wonderful dinner for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 3603 reviews are from the BlackSalt reviews archive.
- Everytime I go to black salt it is amazingJamesDined on 11/22/2014There is no finer restaurant in the dc area for high end seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I recently had my anniversary dinner here on a Friday night and everything was excellent! When making the reservation I mentioned it was for an anniversary dinner and we were seated in a quiet back room, given complimentary champagne, and they even printed a custom menu for us that read "Happy Anniversary" in it. The staff was wonderful and very knowledgable. We loved it so much that we lingered for a while and eventually the staff had to ask us to switch tables in order to accommodate a large group coming in. We didn't mind at all as the staff was very professional about it and they even brought us complimentary wine to thank us. Oh, and I should mention that the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood heavenBacciVIPDined on 11/17/2014BlackSalt is an amazing find. It is a neighborhood establishment with an unassuming entrance. It is a fish market with a small quaint restaurant in the back. The chef will prepare anything they have in the market even if not on the menu. He prepared a lovely plate of grilled calamari for me..cooked to perfection. The prawn and pepper stew as my entree was delightful. For a Monday evening, the restaurant was packed. No need to wonder why! Portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and great service !BethesdaVIPDined on 11/16/2014We ate at Blacksalt on Sunday night. Although the menu had plenty to offer,we were also offered specials from their market (Dover Sole, Lobster, Skate). The seafood here is extremely fresh and tastes fantastic. The three of us ordered a dozen of the Battle Creek oysters and gobbled them up - they were delicious. We ordered 3 separate main courses from the menu (I had the skate, which was perfectly cooked and very tasty) and we all thoroughly enjoyed them. The restaurant was busy, but the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Quiet Table & Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014I had requested a quiet part of the restaurant as my friend, an aging navy diver, was very hard of hearing. Black Salt accommodated us and we had a great meal; great service and could communicate. We eat in the back diningroom and went early. As usual, the food was terrific; our service superb and it remains one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at BlackSaltSJN6Dined on 11/16/2014I have been to brunch at BlackSalt several times over the past few years and always enjoyed it. This past Sunday was no different. Delicious food, great service. We had a reservation and were seated right away. I had the oyster po'boy, which was good (I only wish it had been served with something other than field greens, which were lackluster). My husband really enjoyed the shrimp and grits. This is a great brunch spot - worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert is the highlightvhinpghVIPDined on 11/15/2014Don't miss the peanut butter chocolate crunch cake. It is the very best part of the meal. The bread was delicious, too -- warm with a crunchy crust. I thought the restaurant was good, but a bit overpriced. I don't think I have ever had a $17 glass of wine before.,,although it was good, that seems excessive to me. The fish was good, but I was surprised to see so many fish dishes prepared with pork as one of the ingredients. as one who does not eat meat, I found this very limiting. Overall, it was tasty and a nice experience. I would recommend it but with these caveats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was there with another couple for my birthdayahsearchVIPDined on 11/15/2014Drinks from the bar were ok....appetizers...kale salad and salmon tartare were excellent... 3 in our party had the Dover Sole which was great- my branzino was good, but not great in part because it was not well de-boned. The place has great fish and the chef is very good about preparing things the way you like even if it is not on the menu. One negative comment I would think that a restaurant would do something for someone's birthday...free appetizer or glass of wine or dessert...I was surprised that Black Salt did nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerIssaDined on 11/15/2014We had a very pleasant dinner at Black Salt last weekend. The server was friendly and knowledgeable and he kept the dinner at an excellent pace. We had three different types of oysters and we enjoyed all of them. Everyone was happy with their main course. All in all, a great dinner. It was on the pricey side but you pay for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experiencedinerDined on 11/14/2014They first sat us at a super noisy table even though I had called 3 days before requesting a quieter seat. They did end up putting us in a booth, which was better. But it was frustrating that they didn't pay attention to my phoned-in request. Some of us liked our dinners, others not so much. The service was very slow, which was disappointing for such a high-end restaurant. Our server just sort of disappeared and it took forever just to get basic drinks at the beginning of the evening. We'd been before and had been much happier. Not sure I'd rush back, which is too bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/12/2014Our first time here for our anniversary. First class meal start to finish. Comp glass of sparkling wine, VG Hemingway daiquiri's, fairly priced wine. Light apple salads followed by bigeye tuna perfectly prepared, and crab cakes too large to finish. Raspberry-choc torte for dessert. Expensive, but compared to others at this quality level still a fair price. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneGroovySisterVIPDined on 11/12/2014You can stop in and buy some fish to cook for dinner in the front, have a nice dinner near the bar in the middle or have an elegant dining experience with white table cloths in the back (what we did). Food is great-- selection like I have never seen elsewhere (4 kinds of caviar, many kinds of muscles and oysters) and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2014Many of the wait staff did not make eye contact; they were attentive, but oddly disconnected.Special Features:
- Ohhh the key lime pie!DLB13VIPDined on 11/9/2014Dined with a friend on Sunday night - she's Pescatarian and I'm Paleo, and Black Salt had plenty of options to please both of us. The margarita was a very nice cocktail to start. We shared the traditional mussels and they were amazing. For dinner my friend had the ravioli and RAVED about it. I had beet salad and appetizer-sized tuna - both were ok but not standouts. We had key lime pie for dessert (not Paleo, but worth EVERY bite... it was one of the best I've ever had!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with serviceMcleanMomVIPDined on 11/9/2014My husband and I were there to celebrate our anniversary with a casual Sunday dinner. We always have enjoyed the food and wine at BlackSalt. Although the food and wine were still great, the service was disappointing. We were seated for quite a while before we had to flag down someone to take our drink order. Then there was a discussion between the staff about the situation and someone did take our drink orders even though she said she was not our wait staff. When the wait staff finally did arrive, there was no apology for not showing up for about 20 minutes after we were seated nor was there any apology by anyone else at the restaurant. No one came by to make sure we had someone waiting on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceGregVIPDined on 11/8/2014We were seated on time, staff was friendly and very professional. We are foodies so the entire experience is important, and after dining at more than a few restaurants in DC this has to be one of the best, if not the best we have visited in the three years living here. Prices were moderate, but the daily specials were very reasonable; however, we end up ordering from the regular menu and it was not really more expensive than other places of the same character. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantHarmonyDined on 11/7/2014This is a very busy restaurant at both lunch and dinner - so reservations are recommended. Food is uniformly well presented and good. Noise level is relatively high so conversations are sometimes difficult.Special Features:
- PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I have nothing but praise for this restaurant. Everything was absolutely outstanding but at a price. We were prepared to pay plenty but in my opinion the prices were really just ridiculous! $10 for a green salad? $32 for a piece of (abeit quite good) fish? With tip, the bill was $100/person.Special Features:
- Does not live up to expectationsDisappointedfanDined on 11/4/2014What a dissappointment! I had my husband's birthday dinner here, and both he and I were ready to leave mid-dinner because we were so frustrated with the horrible service and follow-through from the staff. We will never return. * None of the fish preparations on the menu appealed to my husband. The waiter's explanations for a simple preparation was extremely vague and uninformative. * The kitchen botched a simple modification to my appetizer and prepared it 3 times before it was served correctly. * Our entree orders were cancelled and we waited almost a hour for our main dishes to arrive. * All the time during our wait, the server never checked to see if we were ok, give us the status of our food, give us more bread, etc.
- Delightful EveningDCVisitorVIPDined on 11/3/2014Food was exquisite! Service impeccable! Had not been to BlackSalt in a few years, but a visiting relative provided the reason to go again. All three of us were surprised at how GOOD the food was! We had high expectations, but they were surpassed. And the service was terrific as well. A truly delightful evening.Special Features:
- Changing tidesDCOmnivoreVIPDined on 11/2/2014Recommending BlackSalt used to be a reflex. After a year hiatus two recent visits confirm the stalwart has lost its lustre. It started at the door (the staff was less well appointed then usual) and continued through the meal (clear defects in the meal, e.g., brunt ends on salad) as well as rushed service (a bottle of wine, salads, mains and bill took 50 minutes). Although I do not mind a casual atmosphere paired with a higher end dining experience, the overly bright lighting and relaxed staff made this feel more like the now (sadly) shuttered Addie's than BlackSalt. Aside from the obvious defects in the food, the kitchen still put on a good show.Special Features:
- Good evening overallGluttonDined on 11/1/2014If you like a quieter space, ask for the back room. It was great - we could have a real conversation! Overall the food was excellent except, surprisingly, the crab cakes which were very disappointing - too much tasteless filler and not enough crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors SublimeHealthyFoodLOverVIPDined on 10/30/2014My friend and I sat at one of the tables alongside the bar for Happy Hour, where the noise level usually deafening in the dining room was comfortable. The lobster cauliflower bisque, as rich as ice cream, was the most delicious I've ever eaten. Our main dishes were generous and flavorful, and the drinks were reasonably priced. We also enjoyed the fabulous new art work we visited in the dining room. Great place.Special Features:
- DiningDivasVIPDined on 10/29/2014It was very noisy at lunch time - even for a table of two. The server was not very attentive nor particularly interested in talking to us about the menu or specials.
- Top Notch SeafoodBSmithDined on 10/28/2014BlackSalt has a fabulous menu selection and is the best that I've found that has a seafood focus in the DC area. The service was on point and really topped the evening off by being out of the way but always available. They were very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and we will definitely be back many more times in the future. My new favorite high-end seafood restaurant! Check out the other restaurants that the restaurant group has, we've been to many of them and they are all different but share the same focus on delivering great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the cuisine was pretty goodLayneDined on 10/26/2014The ambience has a casual and modern feel. The food is on par with a decent seafood to stab Wischman but the prices could come down 10 to 15% for – especially on the drinksSpecial Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014We took our son, a seafood fanatic, to BlackSalt for his 18th birthday. The food was superb in every way, cocktails were excellent, and the service was knowledgeable and attentive but not intrusive. A lovely experience. (The butter fish appetizer, raw oysters and banana coconut bream pies were especially noteworthy.) The only suggestion I would make is to add some nice music to the upper level. Would definitely return, and have already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- 5 Stars!!!WandaPDined on 10/26/2014Once again, our experience at BlackSalt exceeded expectations. We ordered the 5 course tasting with wine pairing and every course was exceptional. Service is always beyond outstanding. We will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Salt - A DelightSnookieDined on 10/26/2014The swordfish and crab cakes were delectable. Service was very efficient. We were promptly seated. The menu options were explained. The restaurant is quiet enough that one can conduct a conversation, and the tables are not packed in. The desserts were exceptional and unique. I had never seen several of these items on a menu before. The neighborhood is very charming, and this restaurant is a very welcome addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialthepresDined on 10/26/2014I always think of BlackSalt when I have friends from around the world visiting me and we go out to dine. They are used to the best restaurants and BlackSalt is a great competitor. This time I hosted a dinner for close friends, some of who had never dined at BlackSalt. Everyone was blown away by the event (that it turned out to be). As one of my friends said in a thank you note to me, Judy, you knocked it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality, quality, qualityfoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014What makes this restaurant a perennial favorite is the quality of its seafood. Everything is fresh and comes with seasonal accents. At a recent dinner for four we had succulent oysters, a kale caesar, grilled sardines and a crab cake to start, and bouillabaisse to follow. The food is for the most part light, so you are not stuffed at the end, and have room for a little dessert - in our case, the trio of sorbets and a key lime pie which we shared. I like the fact the restaurant sticks to a focused repertoire, and does not try to incorporate every food fad in its menu (the kale caesar notwithstanding). The only quibble: the restaurant's acoustics, which make a quiet conversation quite difficult.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014never disappoints. our meal was wonderful, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Healthy from the SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Black Salt offers a range in Seafood, from very subtle, very fresh flavors to a culinary complexity that is only rivaled by their wine list. It was a pleasure to write afterwards that the quality of the food was exceeded only by the quality of the company with whom I was dining.Special Features:
- scubadiverVIPDined on 10/19/2014Stick to just appetizers. The smoked anchovy was a hit for me.Special Features:
- Great Seafood Place in DCDRJBGDined on 10/18/2014If you are looking for a seafood place in the city, Blacksalt is hard to beat. Fresh and well prepared seafood with a comfortable (not stuffy) ambiance. The Bouilliabaise was superb! Will certainly return to this restaurant on my next DC trip.Special Features:
- Give it a try.TooSaxyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was great if but a little pricey. Modern stoic decor. Clientele that day more on the older near retirement crowd and many had suite jackets, sort of the Georgetown establishment and diplomats.Special Features:
- Wow dining experience!AloysiousDined on 10/17/2014For an anniversary celebration, we picked the perfect place. The food was exceptional, every dish had the perfect blend of flavor and originality, but still let the fish or seafood shine. The big eye tuna entre was over the top, as was the salmon tartar appetizer. The back room ambience allowed for easy conversation, and the complimentary dessert was the icing in the cake. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Fish!JGokcVIPDined on 10/17/2014It was out first trip to Balck Salt and it won't be our last. Great fresh fish with interesting presentations if you don't want it straight up. This is also a fish market and you can order ony of the fish in the market served simiply or with any of the menu presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be returning anytime soonMsDebbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014My guest and I both chose the 3 course lunch. The squash soup, which looked delicious, had a metallic, chemical aftertaste that was very unpleasant and disconcerting. Needless to say, after a couple spoonfuls, we feared for our health and moved on. The salad was very good. The tilapia tacos were good but I think I would have preferred the fish naked instead of batter-coated and fried.