4883 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023429101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 2:00; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30, Friday 5:30 - 11:00, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00, Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Mike Huff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlackSalt offers semi-private areas of the restaurant that will accommodate up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sole, General Manager 2023429101x
A word from BlackSalt
BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
BlackSalt - Best Restaurants in Palisades Northwest ›
BlackSalt reviews from OpenTable diners
408 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (269)neighborhood gem (233)special occasion (175)great for lunch (98)notable wine list (91)romantic (67)great for brunch (54)good for groups (49)hot spot (49)vibrant bar scene (37)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (13)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2014It was very noisy at lunch time - even for a table of two. The server was not very attentive nor particularly interested in talking to us about the menu or specials.
- Top Notch SeafoodBSmithDined on 10/28/2014BlackSalt has a fabulous menu selection and is the best that I've found that has a seafood focus in the DC area. The service was on point and really topped the evening off by being out of the way but always available. They were very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and we will definitely be back many more times in the future. My new favorite high-end seafood restaurant! Check out the other restaurants that the restaurant group has, we've been to many of them and they are all different but share the same focus on delivering great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the cuisine was pretty goodLayneDined on 10/26/2014The ambience has a casual and modern feel. The food is on par with a decent seafood to stab Wischman but the prices could come down 10 to 15% for – especially on the drinksSpecial Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014We took our son, a seafood fanatic, to BlackSalt for his 18th birthday. The food was superb in every way, cocktails were excellent, and the service was knowledgeable and attentive but not intrusive. A lovely experience. (The butter fish appetizer, raw oysters and banana coconut bream pies were especially noteworthy.) The only suggestion I would make is to add some nice music to the upper level. Would definitely return, and have already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- 5 Stars!!!WandaPDined on 10/26/2014Once again, our experience at BlackSalt exceeded expectations. We ordered the 5 course tasting with wine pairing and every course was exceptional. Service is always beyond outstanding. We will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Salt - A DelightSnookieDined on 10/26/2014The swordfish and crab cakes were delectable. Service was very efficient. We were promptly seated. The menu options were explained. The restaurant is quiet enough that one can conduct a conversation, and the tables are not packed in. The desserts were exceptional and unique. I had never seen several of these items on a menu before. The neighborhood is very charming, and this restaurant is a very welcome addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014I always think of BlackSalt when I have friends from around the world visiting me and we go out to dine. They are used to the best restaurants and BlackSalt is a great competitor. This time I hosted a dinner for close friends, some of who had never dined at BlackSalt. Everyone was blown away by the event (that it turned out to be). As one of my friends said in a thank you note to me, Judy, you knocked it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality, quality, qualityfoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014What makes this restaurant a perennial favorite is the quality of its seafood. Everything is fresh and comes with seasonal accents. At a recent dinner for four we had succulent oysters, a kale caesar, grilled sardines and a crab cake to start, and bouillabaisse to follow. The food is for the most part light, so you are not stuffed at the end, and have room for a little dessert - in our case, the trio of sorbets and a key lime pie which we shared. I like the fact the restaurant sticks to a focused repertoire, and does not try to incorporate every food fad in its menu (the kale caesar notwithstanding). The only quibble: the restaurant's acoustics, which make a quiet conversation quite difficult.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014never disappoints. our meal was wonderful, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Healthy from the SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Black Salt offers a range in Seafood, from very subtle, very fresh flavors to a culinary complexity that is only rivaled by their wine list. It was a pleasure to write afterwards that the quality of the food was exceeded only by the quality of the company with whom I was dining.Special Features:
- scubadiverVIPDined on 10/19/2014Stick to just appetizers. The smoked anchovy was a hit for me.Special Features:
- Great Seafood Place in DCDRJBGDined on 10/18/2014If you are looking for a seafood place in the city, Blacksalt is hard to beat. Fresh and well prepared seafood with a comfortable (not stuffy) ambiance. The Bouilliabaise was superb! Will certainly return to this restaurant on my next DC trip.Special Features:
- Give it a try.TooSaxyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was great if but a little pricey. Modern stoic decor. Clientele that day more on the older near retirement crowd and many had suite jackets, sort of the Georgetown establishment and diplomats.Special Features:
- Wow dining experience!AloysiousDined on 10/17/2014For an anniversary celebration, we picked the perfect place. The food was exceptional, every dish had the perfect blend of flavor and originality, but still let the fish or seafood shine. The big eye tuna entre was over the top, as was the salmon tartar appetizer. The back room ambience allowed for easy conversation, and the complimentary dessert was the icing in the cake. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Fish!JGokcVIPDined on 10/17/2014It was out first trip to Balck Salt and it won't be our last. Great fresh fish with interesting presentations if you don't want it straight up. This is also a fish market and you can order ony of the fish in the market served simiply or with any of the menu presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be returning anytime soonMsDebbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014My guest and I both chose the 3 course lunch. The squash soup, which looked delicious, had a metallic, chemical aftertaste that was very unpleasant and disconcerting. Needless to say, after a couple spoonfuls, we feared for our health and moved on. The salad was very good. The tilapia tacos were good but I think I would have preferred the fish naked instead of batter-coated and fried.
- DisappointedTerryDined on 10/16/2014I have been to Black Salt many times before and have always enjoyed the food, service, and ambiance. My last visit was a marked departure. The service was abysmal and my husband's entree was dreadful. It took a manager more than 30 minutes to apologize to us for the delay in getting us our entrees. Fortunately, my heirloom tomato salad and swordfish were excellent. Unfortunately, my husband's much-anticipated crab cakes were mostly filler, with very little crab. To Black Salt's credit, they ended up comping the mail (after first offering a discount). I hope this was just an off night with the bad experience limited to us.
- Kaz is a WinnerRoWillia1952Dined on 10/16/2014Found Kaz through a google search for great sushi in Washington DC. The dining experience was one of my best. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We elected to eat at the Sushi bar. There, you can select your sushi or allow the chef to choose. We let the chef choose and was glad we did. his selections were spot on. Each were different and all were great. I have had sushi on the west coast from the high end houses to the conveyor sushi restaurants. Kaz makes high end sushi that would rival any I have has prior. It is spendy, but if you're looking to top quality sushi from people who know what they're doing, Kaz is the place to go.Special Features:
- Lunch at BlackSaltBoliviaDined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed having lunch at the BlackSalt Restaurant from the very beginning - they respected our preference for a special table, the service was very good and the seafood/ fish excellent. We will come back!Special Features:
- Lunch at Black Salt. Good Idea!DJC555VIPDined on 10/13/2014We opted for a good meal before driving 5 hours to NYC enroute to Boston, where we live. Cozy & friendly, fresh fish & ingredients. Selected the lunch special 3 plates for $20 @. Good salads one arugula & feta (have to admit Parmesan is a better match), the other a mixed greens & thinly sliced vegetables, nice. Our main meal Addie's mussels, very delicious & a signature dish for a reason! Dessert, our 3rd course , two small delicious balls of vanilla & chocolate ice cream, just enough & a great way to end my meal! My husband was equally satisfied with his raspberry strewn chocolate flourless slice of heaven. We drove back please with our decision to dine well before leaving DC! Would like to try dinner here next time in town .Special Features:
- Great lunchDBC4Dined on 10/13/2014Food was excellent. Service personal, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Big WOW!MdineDined on 10/12/2014One of the best, most creative seafood restaurants we've tried and we've tried many. From start to finish, the ambiance, service, food and wine was outstanding. They seemed to be creating dishes as we sat there. Besides the at least 12 choices of types of fresh oysters, there were amazing plated options. Choosing was the challenge. We had them pick a dozen of their favorite oysters and each was a flavor bomb. We then picked four selections and they suggested we were ordering too much. Our server suggested some items that weren't on the menu. Every one was outstanding and we were full without being stuffed. We wanted a specific type of wine and their suggestion was spot on. Superb dinner in all respects. They should be proud!Special Features:
- truly a neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2014First visit to BlackSalt. Wonderful food, atmosphere, menu selections and service. I only wish it was in the neighborhood when we lived in there. But we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black saltDateVIPDined on 10/11/2014Black salt is a nice neighborhood restaurant. Good food. Good service. Good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always good. Never lets me down. Palisades institution.Special Features:
- Seafood bistro!CleoDined on 10/8/2014A bistro atmosphere built around an excellent neighborhood seafood market, Blacksalt provides an excellent place to spend an afternoon or evening with friends, sampling good wine and fine seafood done in a variety of styles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and great foodcemsDined on 10/7/2014Superb food.. from entrees up to the key lime pie.. each plate very very good We really enjoyed it canbonly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLACK SALTKYSHADined on 10/7/2014I WAS HERE FOR MY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.......I PLAN ON REVISITING AGAIN VERY SOON.....EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PLACE WAS AWESOME.Special Features:
- Wow!DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014After a long long wait through meals at tried and true favorites and trying somewhere new just to be disappointed, we were absolutely blown away by the food. The appetizer fish was one of the best fish dishes I have had EVER and since I don't eat red meat, I eat a lot of fish. The desserts we're also amazing but should definitelu be shared! I can see why this restaurant books up well in advance - a true wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite seafood restaurantskylonsevenVIPDined on 10/7/2014This time I went for business, and it was terrific. We had a great table to talk quietly and to enjoy our delicious food. The wait staff is attentive, the fish terrific as usual, and the ambiance superb. Great for business. Great for romance. Always high standards. And the food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch specialsShiokDined on 10/6/2014The lunch specials were a great steal. Food was fresh and well presented. I will be returing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchGluttonDined on 10/5/2014It was nice to see such a mix of people all apparently having a good time - it was a friendly and invigorating experience. For anyone who loves seafood, this is a great place to go. The menu was creative and included food from a number of different cuisines. The food was tasty and the portions reasonable without being too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check the Market; Order AccordinglyAspiringFoodieDined on 10/2/2014A recent visit reminded after a long hiatus us how terrific Black Salt can be. A quick review of the market counter on the way in had the swordfish high on our lists, and the kitchen certainly didn't disappoint. A visiting friend from England called it the best meal she's ever had in the U.S, starting with the salmon tartare which was declared "better than Scotland." Wine service was notable; I sent a bottle back that was corked and the sommelier tasted it, agreed and profusely apologized. We had forgotten how nicely accompanied the simple preparations are; eggplant and polenta cake to accompany a wood-smoked swordfish dish worked incredibly well. We won'tlet it go as long again before a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Great dinnerccmomDined on 10/1/2014We were seated in the back room which was quiet and elegant. Our food was delicious. Only dish I didn't love was the heirloom tomato salad. The flavors were great but the tomatoes were just OK. October is probably too late int he season to order this dish. Service excellent. I love a restaurant where the staff anticipates needs (such as filling wine and water) without interrupting the meal to ask "how is everything?" In addition to our main courses, we shared an appetizer and and a glass of wine and the server/kitchen split the salad into 2 plates and brought the wine in 2 "1/2 glass" servings. We didn't request this and it was appreciated.Special Features:
- Perfection from the sea.EatforLifeVIPDined on 9/29/2014When you walk in the door and are faced with their spectacular presentation of fresh fish (yes fish store in front) you know exactly what you are in for...the best of thins from the sea cooled and served with perfection. The menu is always changing with what it in and the preparation always retrained letting the protein come first. The oysters best in east coast, oven smoked baby octopus a great start and their whole fish entre alway my favorite. Sit so you can watch the kitchen and enjoy their informed and great servers. Only downside is this local gem is alway hard to get into on weekends so make a plan and reservation. One of our top ten placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice seafoodSheikhDined on 9/29/2014Our second night in Washington and this was very enjoyable. Super fresh seafood and great wine selection. House made ices a perfect end to the meal.Special Features:
- SilverwareTwalabantuVIPDined on 9/29/2014I onlyh gave them 3 stars because after 3 trips to this restaurant this year, they still cannot put silverware on the table. Dishes arrive, grow cold or warm (whichever is least desireable) while waiting for silverware. Do yourselves a favor and wrap at least a fork and knife in a napkin and putit down before I get there or when I get there. This is a running joke between my friend and I who like the place and the food but cannot get the staff to do something that is food service 101. Neither Bobby Flay nor the hairnet clad battle-ax behind the food service line in high school would permit this to happen; why do you?Special Features:
- Great food, great service!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/27/2014Just visited for the second time and both times have been wonderful. I had noted on open table that we would be celebrating my mother's birthday, and she was excited to find special happy birthday menus (which we were provided upon departure) as well as a birthday dessert. The food on the menu was excellent, but the restaurant also offers the opportunity to select other items for sale in the fish market, and request any preparation. Soft shell crabs, not specifically offered on the menu, were excellent. The food was wonderful all around but the staff really made this a special, memorable evening.Special Features:
- Just okfood2allDined on 9/27/2014My guy and I chose this restaurant as our Saturday night dinner date, but we were not particularly impressed. The ambience is not overly romantic. We had the tasting menu and none of the five courses wowed us. Our server was quite attentive but not over bearingly so. I felt as if the entire restaurant is in training to offer a higher end dining experience, but they still have a ways to go.Special Features:
- SuperbAwesomeDined on 9/26/2014Menu is fantastic- wines are excellent- service incredible. Great happy hour- recommend happy hour and having your apps there and then have dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.