4883 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023429101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 2:00; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30, Friday 5:30 - 11:00, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00, Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Mike Huff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlackSalt offers semi-private areas of the restaurant that will accommodate up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sole, General Manager 2023429101x
A word from BlackSalt
BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
BlackSalt - Best Restaurants in Palisades Northwest ›
BlackSalt reviews from OpenTable diners
423 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (258)neighborhood gem (229)special occasion (194)great for lunch (107)notable wine list (86)romantic (72)great for brunch (63)good for groups (47)hot spot (31)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Customer serviceGinnyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to the restaurant numerous times for dinner, and twice during restaurant week for lunch. There seems to be a big difference in the attitude of the wait staff. I had that experience the first time, and complained to the owner, who luckily was in house at that time. The second time was no different. i think because they know the food is excellent, that clients will come anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Scrumptious!!!DeniseDined on 8/17/2014My friends and I met up for lunch/brunch Sunday and enjoyed the restaurant week menu for lunch. Every item we at was absolutely scrumptious from the Calamari Appetizer to the Eggs benedict w/Crab and shrimp entrée to the Chocolate cake dessert w/Mimosa's for a beverage. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was lively. I enjoyed everything about my experience here!!!Special Features:
- Cool local seafood spotDktran31VIPDined on 8/17/2014Visited with a friend for restaurant week lunch. I had the calamari, egg pontchartrain and the chocolate chambord truffle cake. The calamari was very tasty but too oily. The egg pontchartrain was delicious. A nice combo of crawfish, crab and eggs. The cake was alright. It was a good deal for restaurant week. The place was pretty busy. Very cool that they are also a fish market. Parking may be a bit hard to find and the interior of the place is much larger than it looks from the outside. Cool place that I would like to visit again.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I took my future wife last Saturday and she was all smiles. Food presentation was great and taste was as just as good they looked. I had a grilled rockfish and she had the halibut. Food had a unique combination of taste. Beginning and end were always in high contrast. I can't wait to bring her back here again. ps- Don't forget to try the great deserts. They're amazingSpecial Features:
- Desert issuesLandakimDined on 8/16/2014We had a really nice dinner even though the advertised desert wasn't on the menu and my server said he had never heard of the desert and the menu was as it had been since opening????? I found that odd...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Came for the tasting menu. A little less creative than in the past, all courses were on the menu - but we tasted them all! Excellent presentation, fabulous food, and a great suggestion on the wine from the sommelier.Special Features:
- Fantastique!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014For Restaurant Week, the offerings were substantial. Not only were there great options for the three-course meal, but there were special cocktail and wine offerings as well. Although my friend was late, we never felt rushed. The service was excellent. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014can always be counted... great fresh food ...................................Special Features:
- great Restaurant Week choiceSteveDined on 8/16/2014mussels followed by seafood soup was a real winner, as was the chocolate dessert. all fresh and well prepared—nice and spicy to bootSpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmedAMG22Dined on 8/16/2014I have been dying to go to BlackSalt for years, but after Saturday's lunch, I have no plans of returning. First, the waitress was by far the rudest that I've ever had in my life. She was unpleasant and rude. When putting my credit card in the booklet to return it to her, she grabbed the card out of my hand (this was the straw that broke the camels back)! We asked to speak to the manager and only then was she concerned about our experience. Realizing that it was restaurant week, I wasn't sure how much of a 'production' line the food would be, but after sending my swordfish back twice for it being undercooked, I now realize that this place was NOT worth the wait! There are better seafood restaurants - DON'T waste your time or $ here.
- Great Food is Consistent...xNYer123VIPDined on 8/15/2014service needs work. All four of us loved what we ordered across the board - from soup & salads to appetizers & entrees. And definitely leave room for the beautiful and delicious desserts. But when you reserve specify where you'd like to sit, if you know. I didn't this time and got stuck at a back corner table in the overflow area, which was especially unfortunate since we were celebrating a friends' birthday. My fault - I should have spoken up. But not my fault that our waiter was not very concerned about our food preferences. And quite disappointing that although he was informed at the beginning of the meal we were celebrating a birthday he couldn't think to even put a candle in one the many desserts we ordered, or check to refill coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cake heavenWANDERLUSTDined on 8/15/2014Great food - tacky up charge on restaurant week offering. The only turn off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Good menu. Dishes well constructed and presented. Seafood very fresh.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I've been going for lunch during Restaurant Week for the past four years. This time the food was not good although I gave it a generous fair rating. Food was overcooked or greasy. I've read reviews that restaurants put little effort into these promotions, but Black Salt was usually different. I'll skip that tradition from now on.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014We really enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at Blacksalt. The table, the food, the ambience, the service -- all were pitch perfect. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- D OEUROFOODDined on 8/13/2014EXCELLENT FISHES! THEY SPECIALIZE IN FISH, BUT EVERYTHING TASTES GREAT. THE TABLES ARE BIT TOO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER, WHICH DOWNGRADES THE OVERALL EXPERIENCE. ALL IN ALL - WILL ALWAYS GO BACK.Special Features:
- Outstanding sea food and service,DeliciousinDCDined on 8/13/2014The fried calamari is superb, and the desserts delicious. The service was stellar, and conversation was enjoyable because the noise level was moderate.Special Features:
- 7-course tasting. ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/201412 Aug 2014. 7-course tasting menu. The 7 courses consist of smaller versions of menu items. Felt like tappas. The PEI oysters topped with caviar was a nice way to cleanse our palate. First, we had a fish ceviche we both found a little bland. Then we were served a sardine preparation which was nice. Next, we were served a wild prawn with a green pork mole (a little salty). Then, tasty scallops, followed by a fried soft-shell crab (best dish). Last hot dish was a pan-seared salmon- very salty. Before dessert, we were brought a palate cleansing sorbet. Dessert was good albeit dairy heavy. Dessert consisted of key-lime pie, chocolate cheesecake and something I can't remember. Overall, I was underwhelmed. On the plus side, we loved the drinks!Special Features:
- Black Salt is a winner!JasmineVIPDined on 8/12/2014I ate at Black Salt for the first time with two friends during Restaurant Week. The lunch menu had great choices and the portion sizes were generous. The food was delicious and high quality. We had the calamari, mussels, and heirloom tomatoes as appetizers and the swordfish and fish stew entrees. Thankfully, the dessert portions were smaller, but still generous. The Restaurant Week menu items were also on their regular menu. The service was attentive, but not hovering. We look forward to going back soon!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Everything great but parking horrible. It was raining and I couldn't even read the parking meter. No one inside the restaurant knew how much money you needed to put in. They said parking on roof then one person said only 4 places.Special Features:
- bait and switchlouisDined on 8/11/2014We went for dinner during restaurant week. The ad said it was open for both lunch and dinner. Made reservations through Open Table. We clicked on the dinner link to reserve our table. When we were seated, we were informed that the restaurant week menu was only available for lunch. After speaking with the management we were still denied the dinner discount. We are very disappointed, as the restaurant had good reviews and we were looking forward to trying the menu. He seemed to be very "snooty" to us and was not very accommodating nor sympathetic to our plight. This is poor treatment of potentially new clientele. We won't patronize this establishment again.
- Lunch DC restaurant week 2014JohnVIPDined on 8/11/2014We we a little perplexed when we were a little perplexed when were seated broadside directly in front of a business group of four, but when we requested, were moved to an acceptable table. The rest of our experience was as expected--outstanding food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared fishRauzerDined on 8/10/2014We had mussels, oysters, halibut, rockfish and snapper. All we very well prepared and tasty. Service was very attentive. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sommelierBeksDined on 8/10/2014Because I was entertaining a knowledgeable San Francisco foodie, I picked Black Salt. When we ordered, I suggested a riesling, but I wanted to make sure it was not sweet, so we consulted. The young woman who helped us was knowledgeable and directed us to a wonderful Alsatian wine I might not have picked. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and it was the wine selection that featured in his profuse thank you note. This is a wonderful restaurant that is worth the price -- something you cannot say about many restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014All of the staff were very knowledgeable about the food, how it was prepared, what better known fish we could compare it too and made suggestions based on our comments - would highly recommend Black Salt. If you are looking for a quieter, more romantic dinner, request the back section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Dinner at Black SaltJohnDined on 8/10/2014All of the entries we had for dinner at Black Salt were delicious. The technique of crisping the fish skin provided a pleasing, crunch taste which was a pleasant surprise. Our only complaint was that some of the mussels were not opened, yet served to us which was puzzling. We had some years ago tried Black's Bar and Grill in Bethesda or Rockville; and were curious to try this restaurant even though we live in Columbia, MD. We are originally from the DC area. One other minor complaint was the wait for the check - the waiter seemed to forget about us after our meals were completed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch French ToastKayKayDined on 8/10/2014We went because we were told that Black Salt had the best french toast. The presentation was beautiful, lots of fruit compote on top with a lovely flavored whipped cream on top. The french toast itself however was not special. So I give it a good. We are planning to return to try again with another selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchWamboDined on 8/10/2014We've eaten many times at Black Salt and have enjoyed all of the meals. This was our first Brunch, however,and enjoyed it entirely. Although oysters on the half-shell was not part of the Brunch, we started with a dozen Pacific oysters. They're the best in town.Special Features:
- brauhausdcDined on 8/9/2014Very good food, very good service. Almost too many good things to chose from - thankfully, they have a Chef's tasting option, with wine pairings. The back dining room is a bit cave-like, and a number of the other nearby tables were providing us with some very "WFT" moments with their conversations - the table next to us, for example, kept ordering cocktail sauce as if they were at a red [crustacean] or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!MaferDined on 8/8/2014The food was extraordinary. we had the Chilean sea bass special, it was delicious one of the best fish dishes we ever had in DC . The selection of fresh fish is amazing. The freshness of the fish is extraordinary and makes a big difference. The service was impeccable as well. great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no internetRegmrgVIPDined on 8/8/2014in the modern age , every member of the human race communicates via text or email. it is very disturbing that black salt is not in the modern age. my dinner companion was running way late and of course was not able to communicate that. unacceptible.
- Very, expensive but good serviceSarge46Dined on 8/7/2014The meaty part of my lobster was tough and "spongy" but the claws etc. very tender and delicious!! The New England clam chowder was the best I have ever had. Very attentive service!Special Features:
- interior design needs face-liftdisappointedDined on 8/7/2014Strong fishy smell with fresh fish displayed right as you walk in is a complete turn-off!! Considering the price, there should at least be table cloths on table. Ambiance is very poor --- absolutely not a romantic place to take a date unless you both just walked in hot and sweaty from running a marathon.
- What a Special Place!KtcakesDined on 8/7/2014The food and experience was great...same for all of the companies locations. They are doing a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch / August 4th, 2014SadDinerDined on 8/4/2014I was never given a knife for bread, I had to borrow a knife from someone at my table, because no one ever came back to the table to check on us. I ordered soup special- very thick, acidic and spicy... no hint of any seafood in the flavor or visually in the soup. Only took one spoonful. I ordered the fish tacos...more breading than fish, no indication of any sauce on the taco. Very little flavor.. very disappointing. The dessert was good.
- ExcellantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Fish market in front is off-putting. Then you get to a very casual bar - shorts and tee shirts the norm - and the fish market smell is apparent. Dining room is nicer, but casual without the "elegant." Really interesting wine list with a variety of price points. We were celebrating, so we had a French champagne to start and a burgundy (pinot noir) with entrees. Still got out for a bit over $100 pp. Our special salads (grilled peach, and heirloom tomato) were beautiful and good, not great. Butterfish, a menu standard, was outstanding. The star was big eye tuna entree, served over/with pulled pork that would rival any BBQ joint's offering, plus a guacamole with black beans, a mole sauce, and fried yucca. One of the great dishes ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014The sevice was cordial, but a little slow, especially with drinks. I had the tuna tartare, the bronzino, and the chocholate rasberry torte. All were truly outstanding. The presentation was very nice as well. We were in the back in a booth, and this was very pleasant. Because it is a working fish market, there is a fairly powerful odor of fish upon entering the door, and this might have bothered me if I wer eating at the more informal tables in that area, but the restaurant in the back had no issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish - hold the butter plsCharlotteDined on 8/1/2014We love Black Salt and are frequent buyers in the fish market. Dinner on Friday night wasn't up to the usual standards. The rockfish, branzino and yellow snapper were fresh and delicious. However, we all felt the chef used too much butter in every dish. It left a greasy mouthfeel. As usual the subtle accompaniments were well thought out and delicious. Service was enthusiastic and attentive. The wine pairing was great. Deserts were super.Special Features:
- Best seafoodFredDined on 7/27/2014We were caught off guard by the fish and seafood on ice as you enter the restaurant as you think you are in a fish monger store. Past the oyster bar and more casual dining are a few additional dining rooms. Best soft shell crab ever. Superb menu. Every thing was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Wife and Adult DaughterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Great meal. Seafood as good as you can get. Wonderful service. A longer drive from downtown DC ... 30 minutes in rush hour by cab. BUT ... they offer a service to take you back to the hotel. Price is same as car. No cabs near this restaurant. Would go back in a second.Special Features: