4883 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023429101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 2:00; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30, Friday 5:30 - 11:00, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00, Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Mike Huff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlackSalt offers semi-private areas of the restaurant that will accommodate up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sole, General Manager 2023429101x
A word from BlackSalt
BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
BlackSalt - Best Restaurants in Palisades Northwest ›
BlackSalt reviews from OpenTable diners
400 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (253)neighborhood gem (223)special occasion (176)great for lunch (94)notable wine list (88)romantic (66)great for brunch (55)good for groups (43)hot spot (43)vibrant bar scene (34)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (12)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Fish!JGokcVIPDined on 10/17/2014It was out first trip to Balck Salt and it won't be our last. Great fresh fish with interesting presentations if you don't want it straight up. This is also a fish market and you can order ony of the fish in the market served simiply or with any of the menu presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be returning anytime soonMsDebbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014My guest and I both chose the 3 course lunch. The squash soup, which looked delicious, had a metallic, chemical aftertaste that was very unpleasant and disconcerting. Needless to say, after a couple spoonfuls, we feared for our health and moved on. The salad was very good. The tilapia tacos were good but I think I would have preferred the fish naked instead of batter-coated and fried.
- DisappointedTerryDined on 10/16/2014I have been to Black Salt many times before and have always enjoyed the food, service, and ambiance. My last visit was a marked departure. The service was abysmal and my husband's entree was dreadful. It took a manager more than 30 minutes to apologize to us for the delay in getting us our entrees. Fortunately, my heirloom tomato salad and swordfish were excellent. Unfortunately, my husband's much-anticipated crab cakes were mostly filler, with very little crab. To Black Salt's credit, they ended up comping the mail (after first offering a discount). I hope this was just an off night with the bad experience limited to us.
- Lunch at BlackSaltOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed having lunch at the BlackSalt Restaurant from the very beginning - they respected our preference for a special table, the service was very good and the seafood/ fish excellent. We will come back!Special Features:
- Lunch at Black Salt. Good Idea!DJC555VIPDined on 10/13/2014We opted for a good meal before driving 5 hours to NYC enroute to Boston, where we live. Cozy & friendly, fresh fish & ingredients. Selected the lunch special 3 plates for $20 @. Good salads one arugula & feta (have to admit Parmesan is a better match), the other a mixed greens & thinly sliced vegetables, nice. Our main meal Addie's mussels, very delicious & a signature dish for a reason! Dessert, our 3rd course , two small delicious balls of vanilla & chocolate ice cream, just enough & a great way to end my meal! My husband was equally satisfied with his raspberry strewn chocolate flourless slice of heaven. We drove back please with our decision to dine well before leaving DC! Would like to try dinner here next time in town .Special Features:
- Great lunchDBC4Dined on 10/13/2014Food was excellent. Service personal, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Big WOW!MdineDined on 10/12/2014One of the best, most creative seafood restaurants we've tried and we've tried many. From start to finish, the ambiance, service, food and wine was outstanding. They seemed to be creating dishes as we sat there. Besides the at least 12 choices of types of fresh oysters, there were amazing plated options. Choosing was the challenge. We had them pick a dozen of their favorite oysters and each was a flavor bomb. We then picked four selections and they suggested we were ordering too much. Our server suggested some items that weren't on the menu. Every one was outstanding and we were full without being stuffed. We wanted a specific type of wine and their suggestion was spot on. Superb dinner in all respects. They should be proud!Special Features:
- truly a neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2014First visit to BlackSalt. Wonderful food, atmosphere, menu selections and service. I only wish it was in the neighborhood when we lived in there. But we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black saltDateVIPDined on 10/11/2014Black salt is a nice neighborhood restaurant. Good food. Good service. Good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always good. Never lets me down. Palisades institution.Special Features:
- Seafood bistro!CleoDined on 10/8/2014A bistro atmosphere built around an excellent neighborhood seafood market, Blacksalt provides an excellent place to spend an afternoon or evening with friends, sampling good wine and fine seafood done in a variety of styles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and great foodcemsDined on 10/7/2014Superb food.. from entrees up to the key lime pie.. each plate very very good We really enjoyed it canbonly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLACK SALTKYSHADined on 10/7/2014I WAS HERE FOR MY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.......I PLAN ON REVISITING AGAIN VERY SOON.....EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PLACE WAS AWESOME.Special Features:
- Wow!DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014After a long long wait through meals at tried and true favorites and trying somewhere new just to be disappointed, we were absolutely blown away by the food. The appetizer fish was one of the best fish dishes I have had EVER and since I don't eat red meat, I eat a lot of fish. The desserts we're also amazing but should definitelu be shared! I can see why this restaurant books up well in advance - a true wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite seafood restaurantskylonsevenVIPDined on 10/7/2014This time I went for business, and it was terrific. We had a great table to talk quietly and to enjoy our delicious food. The wait staff is attentive, the fish terrific as usual, and the ambiance superb. Great for business. Great for romance. Always high standards. And the food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch specialsShiokDined on 10/6/2014The lunch specials were a great steal. Food was fresh and well presented. I will be returing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchGluttonDined on 10/5/2014It was nice to see such a mix of people all apparently having a good time - it was a friendly and invigorating experience. For anyone who loves seafood, this is a great place to go. The menu was creative and included food from a number of different cuisines. The food was tasty and the portions reasonable without being too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check the Market; Order AccordinglyAspiringFoodieDined on 10/2/2014A recent visit reminded after a long hiatus us how terrific Black Salt can be. A quick review of the market counter on the way in had the swordfish high on our lists, and the kitchen certainly didn't disappoint. A visiting friend from England called it the best meal she's ever had in the U.S, starting with the salmon tartare which was declared "better than Scotland." Wine service was notable; I sent a bottle back that was corked and the sommelier tasted it, agreed and profusely apologized. We had forgotten how nicely accompanied the simple preparations are; eggplant and polenta cake to accompany a wood-smoked swordfish dish worked incredibly well. We won'tlet it go as long again before a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Great dinnerccmomDined on 10/1/2014We were seated in the back room which was quiet and elegant. Our food was delicious. Only dish I didn't love was the heirloom tomato salad. The flavors were great but the tomatoes were just OK. October is probably too late int he season to order this dish. Service excellent. I love a restaurant where the staff anticipates needs (such as filling wine and water) without interrupting the meal to ask "how is everything?" In addition to our main courses, we shared an appetizer and and a glass of wine and the server/kitchen split the salad into 2 plates and brought the wine in 2 "1/2 glass" servings. We didn't request this and it was appreciated.Special Features:
- Perfection from the sea.EatforLifeVIPDined on 9/29/2014When you walk in the door and are faced with their spectacular presentation of fresh fish (yes fish store in front) you know exactly what you are in for...the best of thins from the sea cooled and served with perfection. The menu is always changing with what it in and the preparation always retrained letting the protein come first. The oysters best in east coast, oven smoked baby octopus a great start and their whole fish entre alway my favorite. Sit so you can watch the kitchen and enjoy their informed and great servers. Only downside is this local gem is alway hard to get into on weekends so make a plan and reservation. One of our top ten placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice seafoodSheikhDined on 9/29/2014Our second night in Washington and this was very enjoyable. Super fresh seafood and great wine selection. House made ices a perfect end to the meal.Special Features:
- SilverwareTwalabantuVIPDined on 9/29/2014I onlyh gave them 3 stars because after 3 trips to this restaurant this year, they still cannot put silverware on the table. Dishes arrive, grow cold or warm (whichever is least desireable) while waiting for silverware. Do yourselves a favor and wrap at least a fork and knife in a napkin and putit down before I get there or when I get there. This is a running joke between my friend and I who like the place and the food but cannot get the staff to do something that is food service 101. Neither Bobby Flay nor the hairnet clad battle-ax behind the food service line in high school would permit this to happen; why do you?Special Features:
- Great food, great service!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/27/2014Just visited for the second time and both times have been wonderful. I had noted on open table that we would be celebrating my mother's birthday, and she was excited to find special happy birthday menus (which we were provided upon departure) as well as a birthday dessert. The food on the menu was excellent, but the restaurant also offers the opportunity to select other items for sale in the fish market, and request any preparation. Soft shell crabs, not specifically offered on the menu, were excellent. The food was wonderful all around but the staff really made this a special, memorable evening.Special Features:
- Just okfood2allDined on 9/27/2014My guy and I chose this restaurant as our Saturday night dinner date, but we were not particularly impressed. The ambience is not overly romantic. We had the tasting menu and none of the five courses wowed us. Our server was quite attentive but not over bearingly so. I felt as if the entire restaurant is in training to offer a higher end dining experience, but they still have a ways to go.Special Features:
- SuperbAwesomeDined on 9/26/2014Menu is fantastic- wines are excellent- service incredible. Great happy hour- recommend happy hour and having your apps there and then have dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodilocksDined on 9/26/2014Black Salt lives up to its expectations. The fish soup was outstanding, absolutely perfect. Will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious if noisyDCTCADined on 9/24/2014The food was so wonderful that we stopped noticing the noise, which was up there.Special Features:
- Wow... great restaurantNicknameDined on 9/24/2014We come from Germany and really like to visit good restaurants whenever we do city-tours. The Black Salt was one of the best restaurants we've come around yet. Perfectly cooked and composed seafood... surprising selection of fish and wines. Definately a recommendation and worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big let down, not worth the moneytpmooreDined on 9/24/2014Calamari was good,kale salad was very good. My wife had the scallop app. and they were delicious. Bouillabaise,was good but very small serving, one shrimp, one scallop, good bit of fish. It didnt appear to be prepared with all ingredients at any one time, thus the broth was lacking flavor.Fish, one whole and one filet, both were dry and over cooked. I had the Atlan. Big Eye Tuna,this was a wild dish, tons of flavors and most all seemed to tie together nicely,tuna was cooked as requested and recommended.The pork was not crispy as advertized and dry. The dish needed a drizzle of sauce and I mentioned this to the server who delivered a chili oil of sorts, not what I had in mind. For these prices its gonna have to be much better to reccommend.
- JudyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Always good , have been eating here for years. The fish market is also excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious SeafoodSocretsDined on 9/23/2014I enjoyed the restaurant's cozy atmosphere when I went there for lunch. The area was divided into three parts: store, bar, and restaurant. The restaurant area was very designed and I had no problem navigating through what appeared to be a small space. The service was excellent and we did not have to wait long for our food to arrive. The appetizers arrived first with the entrees arriving almost immediately afterwards. The waitress was very polite and gave us some information regarding what some of the menu items were. The food itself was also very good. The chips were crisp enough but not so crisp that it made a lot of noise. The coleslaw was good since it was spicy and different than what I have had before. I enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:
- Very mediocre foodDaisyDined on 9/21/2014Heard about this restaurant from friends so went out of my way to try it when a friend was in town. But was disappointed in the exceedingly mediocre food and rather non-descript ambience. Service wasn't terrible but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- GolferDined on 9/21/2014Excellent choices for brunch and all delicious. However, that meal is popular. If you come at 1200, as we did, it is hard to hear your table partners over the din until some tables clear.Special Features:
- Malka1Dined on 9/20/2014Hands down...the food was just excellent. Good wine available by the bottle at a reasonable price. The Butterfish appetizer--highly recommended...and the BREAD and olive oil dip...superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerDCVADined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went to BlackSalt for the first time for our anniversary. Everything was perfect!! They gave us a quiet table in the back room (definitely recommend the back room for a quieter environment), we were provided complimentary champagne, the service was exceptional from start to finish, and everything we ordered was delicious. We will absolutely be returning for future special occasions!!Special Features:
- as good as everyone saidanonymousDined on 9/20/2014This was our first time here and we thought the food and service were outstanding, with corresponding prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary Dinnerfred999Dined on 9/20/2014Great staff, food, and ambiance. They really helped make it a special occasion.Special Features:
- Improve the service StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014The wait staff doesn't match the food quality, servers changed thruout the meal. Not polished rushed difficult to understand their deliverySpecial Features:
- Consistently ExcellentSJP3003VIPDined on 9/19/2014Blacksalt is consistently the best seafood restaurant in DC. Food and service are consistently excellent. Ambiance is lacking (almost to be expected from what was actually a seafood market) but you can't eat the ambiance. The main dining room is noisy when full...and it usually is. The rear dining room can accomodate larger groups and is quieter. Chairs in the rear dining room are long in tooth...we had one wobbly one and the others were scratched up. But we were there for the food. Great oyster selection. The crabcakes are some of DC's best. The branzino and mahi mahi were top notch. And deserts were great too (the butterscotch pot de creme, the key lime pie). And the waitstaff was pleasant, efficient and always attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Wine Service at BlacksaltWinkVIPDined on 9/19/2014It is a cardinal rule in wine service that you never serve a different vintage than that given on the wine list - at least not without an apology and asking permission. After ordering a 2010 California Pinot Noir, the wine steward brought out 2009. When I pointed this out, he argued with me - saying huffily "I assure you this is the correct vintage". It is never a good idea to treat your customers like idiots, even when they are. But especially when they are right and you are wrong! Fortunately, the 2009 was just fine. But the perfunctory, insincere apology I received at Blacksalt was not.Special Features: