4883 MacArthur Blvd.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023429101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 2:00; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30, Friday 5:30 - 11:00, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00, Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Mike Huff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BlackSalt offers semi-private areas of the restaurant that will accommodate up to 35 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sole, General Manager 2023429101x
A word from BlackSalt
BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
BlackSalt - Best Restaurants in Palisades Northwest ›
BlackSalt reviews from OpenTable diners
399 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (247)neighborhood gem (215)special occasion (182)great for lunch (92)notable wine list (84)romantic (64)great for brunch (56)good for groups (40)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Worth the driveExtremelypickyDined on 9/16/2014The food here is amazing with a delectable combination of spices, textures and vegetables. The wine list is one of the best with hard to find wines like Dumol Chardonnay. It is off the beaten path but an exceptional meal. Try as many of the appetizers as possible, and taste everyone else's entree at the table....it is so worth the drive (or flight across the country for me)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best shrimp and gritsYuuumDined on 9/14/2014Im in Washington DC once a month for classes at American University. It is a Sunday ritual to have shrimp and grits at black salt. Absolutely fabulous!Special Features:
- Outstanding seafoodJadams03VIPDined on 9/13/2014Simply outstanding innovative seafood restaurant. Great menu with nightly specials but a number of additional fish available that they can prepare as desired. Also has 5 & 7 course tasting menu available. Wonderful desert menu as well. Our first visit- won't be our last!Special Features:
- BlacksaltMatchboxVIPDined on 9/13/2014Everything about our dinner at Blacksalt was excellent. The scene in the restaurant was lively. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about all of the offerings on and off the menu. So nice to be able to choose additionally from all of the fish available in the fish market where you first enter the restaurant in a variety of preparations. From shared appetizers, entrees, to shared desserts, there was not a morsel of food left on any place. The food was that delicious. The special dessert on Saturday night was an individual serving in a nice sized ramekin of peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream - so yummy. If you are looking for fresh, well prepared fish and other dishes, I highly recommend Blacksalt.Special Features:
- Back room delightful, like the foodHenryVIPDined on 9/13/2014I suppose there are people who like lots of noise, having to shout to be heard. Most of Balck Salt is like that, but not the back room. One can actually talk in a conversational tone. Ah yes, the food. Running the gamut from well prepared old favorites to the new and innovative, there are plenty of choices on the menu--even steak! The starters are delicious and interesting, the mains heartier and just as innovative. The service is not obtrusive but helpful. Wine list on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Great seafood !duplicatedDined on 9/13/2014Cooked perfectly and was very tender, fresh and delicious. This place had more than just the basic seafood, but it was nice to have a different perspective on common dishes other than the usual. The Caesar was made with kale instead of the traditional romaine. The crab cakes were a very good portion and not all breading. The skin was left on the sea bass and crowned perfectly with a good compliment of seasoning. More than one choice was had for caviar instead of all the high end choices for the beginners at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerJimHDined on 9/13/2014We had a good overall experience. The food and service were tremendous. One issue I had was with the bathroom. The smell was overwhelming and put a damper on the experience. Desserts were not worth it so I would avoid in the future.
- Excellent in the quite wine roomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first time dinning at Blacksalt. The food was excellent and the service impeccable. We had reservations and were seated in the back room called the wine room. It is quiet and very pleasant. The front part of the restaurant is very busy and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for special occasions.alx830Dined on 9/10/2014The service was excellent and the ambiance is decent. I highly recommend the chili margarita, it is the best margarita I've ever had. The appetizers and desserts were very good. I brought my girlfriend there for her b-day and they actually had a menu just for us, and they honored my request for a corner booth (because that's what she likes) and the dessert was special too. The only drawback is that they were out of the King Salmon and we ended up ordering other plates that to be honest were not our cup of tea (and a little expensive for it too), just not what we expected there. Overall, I do recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFinethingsinlifeDined on 9/10/2014A little far from White House but amazing food and service worth the wait.Special Features:
- Vibrant local spot for great fishFoodieDined on 9/9/2014Great neighborhood feel with high end seafood. Terrific appetizer choices, great fresh fish selection, a little light on salads/pasta non-seafood offerings. Attentive but unobtrusive service. Food prepared promptly. Atmosphere is casual but upscale enough to feel like you "went out". Noisy, but you could hear your own conversations, just not a quiet romantic spot.Special Features:
- Never disappointedSEatsDined on 9/7/2014This is our third visit to BlackSalt. Great food and good wine. Good service and atmosphere. Entrees and desserts have been outstanding. For most recent visit, I ordered the brunch Eggs Benedict Chesapeake and my companion the Salmon. The Eggs Benedict Chesapeake was so incredible that we ordered a second and split it. The triple creme brulee and the homemade potato chips are to die for. We look forward to returning regularly and for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatMaggieDined on 9/7/2014Went with a small group for brunch to celebrate a birthday. As always, food, service, atmosphere were great! Folks who hadn't eaten there before loved it, thought the food was excellent value, and would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColleenVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food and service were excellent!! Amazing seafood.Special Features:
- Seafood ParadiseBlackhawkDined on 9/6/2014BlackSalt measured up to our high expectations in all areas food, service, wine selection and ambiance. The combination of seafood market with the bar/cafe was unique. The back contained the more formal part of the restaurant. My wife was pleased to find the Hawaiian fish OPA on the menu --a first since we left Hawaii. The bar and cafe in the front of the restaurant were very informal and everyone was having a good time. The waiters knew what they were doing and that was very pleasant. We will be back.Special Features:
- A birthday treat x 2DeliciousinDCDined on 9/5/2014Having invited a friend to celebrate her birthday at our favorite restaurant, I was especially delighted to see that Black Salt offers a Prix Fixe lunch menu with some of its most popular offerings--a double treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious oysters!eatsleepeatDined on 8/31/2014This place was great! The wine was wonderful, the drink with smashed berries and rum was delicious, and the oysters were to die for. Our waitress kindly selected oysters for us, with a second round tailored to our taste. She divided our clam chowder into two without extra cost, which was hands down the best clam chowder I've ever tasted. The entrees were amazing, but we filled up on appetizers and oysters and could not come close to finishing our tuna and rockfish. We had to skip dessert, so no info on that. Our waitress was kind, knowledgeable and did not bombard us, which was nice. She brought out our food only after we had finished the last dish and gave suggestions when we asked! I just wish Black Salt didn't cost so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The food was beautifully presented and very tasty.Special Features:
- Seafood with Style!AlanVIPDined on 8/29/2014The seafood at BlackSalt is VERY good and their many ways of preparing it to your taste is exemplary!!! I would recommend their kitchen without reservation... and their service was helpful and attentive. However I find fault with their reservation staff. I asked for a quiet table and was seated next to the bar area..! They have a back room called the wine room which is quiet and has tablecloths...but you must ASK for it explicitly or you'll not get it. For a good restaurant I find this lack of accommodation inexcusable/thoughtless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Must go!kaleaddictDined on 8/26/2014We brought 2 kids aged 7 and 10 to Blacksalt and loved it. There wasn't a kids menu per say but lots of choices. The place was fun and energetic. The staff was super friendly. Lots of different oysters and the whole brazzino was incredible. Highly recommend this place!!!Special Features:
- Happy to give as a gift.MickeyMouse11VIPDined on 8/25/2014We took friends out for a birthday celebration and it was a perfect dinner. Great waitress. All was fun.Fabulous food and wine. I was very glad to have chosen it as a gift!Special Features:
- Worth the trip.acrosstheriverDined on 8/25/2014The food here is consistently good and often brilliant. I have been here at least a half dozen times and like Black Salt. The service and ambiance struggles to be a good as the food. Good but not always fully up to expectations. If Black Salt was always at its best it would be among the best in Washington. As it is, it is well worth the trip but occasionally disappoints when it is merely good and not brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Lovers Ideal Spot66girlDined on 8/25/2014I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE FISH; THERE IS A STRONG FISH SMELL THE SECOND YOU ENTER BECAUSE OF THE FISH MARKET IN FRONT. FOR THOSE WHO LIKE OR LOVE FISH, IT'S A PERFECT SPOT. THE FOOD AND SERVICE ARE GREAT. THE AMBIANCE IS NICE - CASUAL, BUT SMART. THE LUNCH SPECIAL IS A GREAT BUY - THREE OR FOUR COURSES FOR $20 OR $25. THE TILAPIA TACO IS FABULOUS; THE HOUSE WINES ARE GOOD; THE ARUGULA SALAD IS EXCELLENT AND THE DESSERT WAS SMALL BUT JUST THE RIGHT SIZE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably special night!SeafoodieDined on 8/24/2014The entire staff went out of their way to treat my husband and I like VIPs on our anniversary. So many little ways to make the night perfect! The food and service was incredible, I would recommend this place to anyone with a special event or who just loves fresh high quality seafood. If we didn't live 10 hrs away, we would be there once a month! Thank you guys for helping to make our night truly unforgettable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barmikeVIPDined on 8/24/2014We really like this place but before ordering the price fixed menu we made it clear to the waitress that my wife and daughter who were in our group of five DO NOT LIKE anything that is peppery spicey! So what is the first course? a wonderful fish in a sauce that is tolerably spicey with a small ramekin of shrimp in a SPICEY sauce! Which of course the pepper intolerant sent back. If this were an isolated incident it would be one thing but this has happened on several previous visits. The customers requests should honored! If this were an allergy situation (which it was not) it could have been a catastrophe.Special Features:
- Still good but could be betterHappyEatersVIPDined on 8/22/2014Basically good food but a few tune ups needed: sauces too salty; service could be more friendly, personal and happy, less industrial; customers taken for granted rather than catered to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent foodgregDined on 8/22/2014The service was very good. The place was a bit loud and it was difficult to carry on a conversation. The food was overall good with the exception of the mussels which tasted a bit too fishy. But I will probably return since my three friends all liked it.
- Incredible ResturantEmmaDined on 8/21/2014You can never go wrong at BlackSalt.. For a special evening dinner or casual at the bar it's always first class food and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014We've been to Black Salt several times for lunch, and now dinner. The fish is simply wonderful. Fresh and well - prepared. We've always had good food here. The service is a bit more casual, but is attentive, especially from the floor managers. My only real semi gripe is that they're a bit conservative on the wine pours. Easily accessible from McLean and Arlington. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerLollaDined on 8/19/2014Food was excellent. We had Addie's mussels, whole branzino, crab cake and scalops. All of them were incredibly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialMorrVIPDined on 8/18/2014The wine room is quieter than the main restaurant space. Green tomato salad was fresh and summery. Halibut with veal ragout plus vegetables was very succulent. ...and..banana cocoanut creme pie! Good, strong coffeeSpecial Features:
- Seafood Blissarturox2Dined on 8/18/2014After reading reviews in the Washington Post, Washingtonian, and on Yelp, I selected BlackSalt for a send off of my friend to Dubai, UAE. Our small group had never heard of BlackSalt. From the moment we walked in, the bartenders pampered us. We then received superior service from Rob (chef) and Lisa (waitress). The whole staff was smiling and pleasant, although they were very busy. I've only a been in a few restaurants where it was evident that the staff enjoyed working there, wanted the customers to know it, and have a superior experience. Rob prepared a "chef's choice" five course meal, which was delightful! The dessert was also creatively prepared and delicious. We left there wondering how we had missed this culinary gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently scrumptiousRalstonDined on 8/17/2014Pro wait staff. Comfy ambiance. Overall, Great value for the money. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer serviceGinnyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to the restaurant numerous times for dinner, and twice during restaurant week for lunch. There seems to be a big difference in the attitude of the wait staff. I had that experience the first time, and complained to the owner, who luckily was in house at that time. The second time was no different. i think because they know the food is excellent, that clients will come anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFoodie4everDined on 8/17/2014If you love fish you and have a car in DC make the trip to Black Salt - their calamari is so light and crisp you won't want to stop at one serving. The chef is inventive and the fish always prepared to be the main event. I love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Scrumptious!!!DeniseDined on 8/17/2014My friends and I met up for lunch/brunch Sunday and enjoyed the restaurant week menu for lunch. Every item we at was absolutely scrumptious from the Calamari Appetizer to the Eggs benedict w/Crab and shrimp entrée to the Chocolate cake dessert w/Mimosa's for a beverage. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was lively. I enjoyed everything about my experience here!!!Special Features:
- Cool local seafood spotDktran31VIPDined on 8/17/2014Visited with a friend for restaurant week lunch. I had the calamari, egg pontchartrain and the chocolate chambord truffle cake. The calamari was very tasty but too oily. The egg pontchartrain was delicious. A nice combo of crawfish, crab and eggs. The cake was alright. It was a good deal for restaurant week. The place was pretty busy. Very cool that they are also a fish market. Parking may be a bit hard to find and the interior of the place is much larger than it looks from the outside. Cool place that I would like to visit again.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoph00nyDined on 8/16/2014I took my future wife last Saturday and she was all smiles. Food presentation was great and taste was as just as good they looked. I had a grilled rockfish and she had the halibut. Food had a unique combination of taste. Beginning and end were always in high contrast. I can't wait to bring her back here again. ps- Don't forget to try the great deserts. They're amazingSpecial Features:
- Desert issuesLandakimDined on 8/16/2014We had a really nice dinner even though the advertised desert wasn't on the menu and my server said he had never heard of the desert and the menu was as it had been since opening????? I found that odd...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always!anonymousDined on 8/16/2014Came for the tasting menu. A little less creative than in the past, all courses were on the menu - but we tasted them all! Excellent presentation, fabulous food, and a great suggestion on the wine from the sommelier.Special Features: