Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3016525525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)special occasion (80)great for outdoor dining (80)neighborhood gem (77)good for groups (50)vibrant bar scene (45)notable wine list (41)romantic (35)great for brunch (35)great for lunch (30)hot spot (27)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Sauce for Addie's MusselsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008Sauce for Addie's Mussels overpowered the mussels. Main dish -- whole fish -- more interesting than delicious. Bread mediocre except for biscuits, which were great. Service, wine, dessert wonderful.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008The food and service were outstanding. Great selection of oysters on the half-shell and very knowledgeable staff. We very much enjoyed our evening and I received kudos for the choice of restaurants. I highly recommend Black's Bar & Kitchen.Special Features:
- great seafood, although itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2008great seafood, although it was very loud when the restaurant was full and it was difficult to hear.Special Features:
- The food was excellent asOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2008The food was excellent as was the high quality of the service. The price is extremely reasonable for the quality you get. No complaints at any level. I'd go back in a minute.Special Features:
- I don't want to spend $100+OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008I don't want to spend $100+ for a meal for two and then sit in a restaurant that's so noisy I have to shout to be heard by my dinner companion. Last time I'll ever go there. Too bad, the food was great. Service was slow though, and seldom saw waiter. Might have been just a busy night, I would have tried again if it weren't so NOISY!!!!!!! I've had more peaceful meals in shopping center food courts. Very unpleasant.
- When our department goes forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/1/2008When our department goes for lunch, Black's is always our first choice. Everything about Black's is great.Special Features:
- My wife and I had a very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/30/2008My wife and I had a very enjoyable dining experience. When we made the reservation on Open Table, we asked that the chef be advised that my wife is vegan. And he/she did an outstanding job accommodating her culinary tastes for all courses. My meal was exceptional, too. The wait staff was very attentive. Looking forward to return visits to Black's Bar & Kitchen.Special Features:
- Great experience. Will goOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/30/2008Great experience. Will go back. Nice brunch menu! Good and pleasant service.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurants.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008One of my favorite restaurants. I eat there regularly and have never been disappointed in the meal or service. Outstanding.Special Features:
- We would appreciate a slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2008We would appreciate a slightly expanded children's menu. Our adult options were fabulous!Special Features:
- Server (John K) was not good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2008Server (John K) was not good. He basically ignored us and we had to flag down bus boys to get him to come over. But the food is good.
- Our waiter was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2008Our waiter was excellent, and the ambiance added to the magic of the night. The food was creatively presented and each bite was a celebration. BRAVO!Special Features:
- It was one of the best restaurantReppohanhteDined on 3/27/2008It was one of the best restaurant experiences we have had in a long time. The chef so imaginative and the presentation of the dishes -- including the table settings, china, glassware, linens -- is memorable. We ordered a dessert just out of curiosity as the description on the menu was unimaginable. The reality was elegant, decorative and delicious.Special Features:
- We were seated for some timerrobbiVIPDined on 3/26/2008We were seated for some time before even seeing a waiter. After we ordered, it took forever for the first courses to be served. The waiter dropped off one salad, told us the small plates "will come out when they are done" and left. The small plates did not arrive for quite a long time, and the waiter entirely forgot one person's order, which never arrived. The small plates were attractive, but did not taste as good as they looked. Very good grilled fish and scallops. The desserts are very good, and very nicely presented.Special Features:
- It took the waiter over 10OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2008It took the waiter over 10 minutes to come to our table...we had to ask for a waiter to order our drinks and appetizers. Service was poor, but the food was good!Special Features:
- We went for the Easter buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008We went for the Easter buffet and it was outstanding. A couple of the items were pedestrian, but several were unusual and the variety was good. We had been to Black's before, for both lunch and dinner, and we have never been disappointed. The atmosphere was festive but tasteful and the live jazz music, which we had not expected, added to the atmosphere. A classy place.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2008We had a wonderful brunch buffet at Blacks. The food was absolutely fabulous. My husband and I were talking about their french toast for days afterwards. We will definitely be back. Hopefully they will do another brunch on Mother's Day!Special Features:
- Food was delicious, thoughMrsPhudDined on 3/22/2008Food was delicious, though uneven. Starters came our right away, but soup was only warm. Food for another table was served, when pointed out wisked away with no comment or appology. While starters and main courses were served promptly, it took considerable time to get dessert and the check.Special Features:
- In my opinion, best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/21/2008In my opinion, best restaurant in Bethesda. Certainly the prettiest. Great menu - quality dishes with a nice variety. Super bar scene as well. Lovely in summer - excellent patio.Special Features:
- Furious! I made a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2008Furious! I made a reservation earlier in the week and had 1 more guest than anticipated. Rather than working with us to find a solution, the staff (one older woman in particular) was extremely rude and firmly suggested that we wait for a spot at the bar to open up or wait an additional 3 hours for a table in the main dining area, when there were empty tables on either side of us! In all my dining experience, I've never experienced such an unprofessional and horrendous service staff. Finally, we decided that rather than give this restaurant our patronage we'd rather go somewhere else and ended up enjoying our evening elsewhere. An experienced restaurant should know how to politely deal with situations like these as it is extremely common!
- I love two of the other Black'sOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/19/2008I love two of the other Black's restaurants. Black Salt and Black market, but this was not a favorite at all. Very boring menu, hard to find things I wanted to order, service was mediocre at best.
- Our server was professionalOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/18/2008Our server was professional and as attentive as she could be in a very busy environment. The service from the kitchen was a little off, though; I had to wait 5-10 minutes for my side and sauce to arrive after my entree. This doesn't sound like a long time, but I waited to begin eating so that I didn't finish my entree before the rest of my meal arrived and my salmon had begun to cool off. However, all of the food was delicious!Special Features:
- We were seated near the kitchen,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2008We were seated near the kitchen, so the loud noises from the kitchen interfered w/ our conversation. The servers practically threww our food on the table and not once got it right as to which plate was to go where. In fact, on two occasions the server tried to place two dishes in front of one person when one of them was for a different diner! Wait staff spent a lot of time talking w/ each other and not paying attention to their tables. We do not need to go back to this restaurant.
- The food is excellent at Black's.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008The food is excellent at Black's. It is a shame the service was below standards. Why not simply hire more people on busy night's like Saturday. It is no brainer. My husband and I have been there on around 5 in the summer and the service was superior and we got to sit outside. Dinner even at 9:00 can be a calamity and we weren't served until close to 10:30.
- My wife and I really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/15/2008My wife and I really enjoyed Black's Bar & Kitchen and find it perhaps a better bargain than Mr. Black's other restaurant, BlackSalt (which still remains one of our favorites). I am certain that we will be going to Black's Bar & Kitchen again. I had the pan roasted Spanish Mackerel and it was truly outstanding. Great wine list as well. The only drawback, and not one that is the restaurant's fault, is that Bethesda has become very crowded, so I recommend making reservations ahead of time. SYSpecial Features:
- My wife thought the old menudcfoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2008My wife thought the old menu was more appealing but overall a good dining experience
- All in all a great expereince.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2008All in all a great expereince. Menus are creative and imaginative. Local fresh ingredients. Good service - though when it gets busy servers seem a little overwhelmed. Dessert menu is fabulous. Brunch is great. A great find, though it can get a little loud, some background music/conversation separater would be nice.Special Features:
- I confess to being relatedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/14/2008I confess to being related to one of the staff. But, if it weren't for that, we wouldn't have every made it into Black's. But now that we have, I will keep coming back even without personal motivation. The food is excellent, and the the service impeccable. I love the scallops, oysters, and wine list. Haven't had a wrong bite since we started going there 6 months ago. Have had lunch, dinner, dinner for a large group, and late-night drinks and raw bar. And, for what it's worth, Black's is a great place to work. The Blacks (esp. Jeff) are demanding and precise, but the staff are treated well and seem to be a cohesive friendly bunch. And the result is good food and relaxed service.
- Very good food, but inconsistentThomVIPDined on 1/5/2008Very good food, but inconsistent service. Too bad they stopped serving the area's best fried chicken.Special Features:
- this place has improved andlivinginvienna2VIPDined on 1/3/2008this place has improved and been renovated as it has had to compete with the growth of top restaurants in Bethesda. Food is good (but not memorable), prices are ok for Bethesda standards....Special Features: