Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: (301) 652-5525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (87)special occasion (72)great for outdoor dining (64)notable wine list (59)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (45)hot spot (43)romantic (33)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (26)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great experienceJamesDined on 8/3/2014I had not been to Black's Bar & Kitchen since it was completely remodeled. The restaurant is now really nice where before it felt more like a bar. The food and service were both very good and I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC1234Dined on 8/3/2014Love Black's Kitchen & Bar. We live out of state and stay in Bethesda when visiting our daughter at AU. This visit Black's was the restaurant I picked for a special family dinner. It was fantastic. We all LOVED our food, from apps. to the dinner rolls. Selected one Sunday 1/2 price bottle of wine was an added bonus. The bits of chocolate made daily at end of the meal also incredible. Slight disappointment with dessert, Heathbar dessert not very chocolate. Highly recommend Black's Kitchen & Bar great experience.Special Features:
- Great brunch!Chatterboxx1969VIPDined on 7/27/2014I've been to Black's a number of times for dinner, but this was my first time for Sunday brunch. My family enjoyed a wonderful selection of brunch foods. The waiter was nice, but we really needed him to come check on us more often. I will definitely be back for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gimme raw bargreggiedDined on 7/21/2014do ya like trying oysters from all over north amercia (about 15 different choices) and a healthy selection of "not your average" seafood selections? do you like winelists that range from $35 malbecs to $3400 exotics? then this is your spot. highly recommended over some of the other, more standard bethesda dining options.Special Features:
- The following 1781 reviews are from the Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews archive.
- DeliciousellencVIPDined on 7/19/2014appetizers were terrific, food was delicious, service outstanding. We had out of town guests who do not have an adventurous palette, they loved it.Special Features:
- RDK058VIPDined on 7/16/2014Very good for small office birthday celebration. Service was attentive and the food was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Good place for a business lunchBusiness101VIPDined on 7/15/2014Have dined here numerous times, both for lunch and dinner. Food always is good and if you get a good table it's very conducive to business conversations at lunch time.Special Features:
- ServiceGatorDined on 7/14/2014Excellent service. From our waiter to the person who cleared our plates awesome. That's were it goes downhill. Upon entering restaurant vacuum the entry sometime. Food just okay. We had six people and everyone ordered different items. Seafood significantly better than steaks. Actually steaks don't bother. Honestly would not go back for the price much better places out there.
- Great place to catch-up!evonovichVIPDined on 7/14/2014One of my bridesmaids was in town this week from San Fran. Her parents live in Rockville, and I'm in Falls Church, so we met at Black's. I was sorry to hear about Addie's, but Black's is always a treat! We both had a summer salad - followed by the mussels! One Thai and one Addie's - highly recommend both. We had a terrific time - nearly closed the restaurant - and I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Fine Fush Dining - BethesdaBethesdaEaterVIPDined on 7/13/2014Always known for its fish and shellfish, Black's maintains it standards that compels one to return,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014We both had the filet of trout which was excellent. Tough to choose amongst several seafood options. Cornbrad oysters appetizer also very good. Expect great food at Black's but prices reflect the high end dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014The food was good ... Not outstanding for the money. The resturant service was excellent and we wee seated immediatelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft shell crabsSTASADined on 7/11/2014What a treat at the right time of year. Everyone at the table had them and loved them... The salad with the grilled shrimp was delicious.The grapefruit addition is unusual but delicious and refreshing.Special Features:
- Short of expectationsJoeADined on 7/1/2014Black's has a great seafood menu, and we have always been able to count on them. However our last visit was a disappointment. Not worthy of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but pricey seafoodReliablyexcellentDined on 6/29/2014My companions opted for the $43 seafood brunch. They happily over ate, and paid more than 3 times what I paid for the beer braised pork belly Benedict, which I enjoyed for breakfast. - BISpecial Features:
- Bad all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Service was brusk and unprofessional. Waiter had to read specials haltingly. No eye contact. Mechanical delivery. Did not watch table at all. Long wait for bill. Partner's steak was reportedly good. His potato side was not edible. My "local greens" salad was clamshell lettuces. My trout was really overcooked, hot enough to burn my tongue, sauce had no flavor, and greens were minuscule and over-cooked. (Waiter didn't seem to notice that plates like the potatoes were completely untouched.) It was a Fri night, but not overly busy.
- Almost excellentHappyMoslyVeggieChefDined on 6/28/2014As a chef i really appreciate Blacks attention to detail and vibrant menu. Always fresh, excellent preparations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeCinnamonVIPDined on 6/27/2014When I walk by, this restaurant always smells so good. Finally got a chance to try it. Menu is very creative as are the daily specials. Ordered the fish tacos, which were quite tasty. It's quite a large restaurant and the lighting is very dim. I give it a thumbs up,Special Features:
- Tasty treatsLindaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Pickled green tomatoes? Whoa yea! And that was just the side for the crunchy soft-shelled crab appetizer. Yum! I had the scallops, which were plenty tasty and perfectly prepared, but next to my friend's seafood stew? Sha, that stew was the bomb!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and the ambienceBethesdianDined on 6/25/2014The seafood stew is quite good. Clams were also enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceweb37Dined on 6/24/2014Couldn't get soft shelled crabs at Chef Tony's but found them here. Delectable. The food is always good and the service was excellent. A rarity for me not to have their mussels, which are about the best I've ever had, but couldn't resist the crabs.Special Features:
- Early dinner Sunday, June 22.SeafoodieDined on 6/22/2014Outside seating on a good weather night. It was great. But primo was the seafood - trout, seafood stew, crab cakes. The bread basket was outstanding. We hit half-price wine night and scored well. I asked the restaurant to adopt me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Seafood predominates. Interesting raw bar, tasty entrees. Server was quite attentive. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- exceptional serviceTracyPVIPDined on 6/21/2014We decided to try Blacks for Sunday brunch, and we were not disappointed. Service was superb and enthusiastic. Food was creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dinner at Black's/Bethesdadiningmaven1Dined on 6/20/2014We had a delightful dinner at Black's the other night. The restaurant was sublime and restful. My husband raved about the tuna (although I have never seen him eat sushi grade tuna before - and the waiter pointed out that this was very high grade tuna), and my hanger steak was absolutely perfect. The knowledgeable waiter suggested a perfect degree of "doneness" and a wonderful chimichurra sauce, which made every bite a treat. Nice that you can order entrees and select your sides. Coffee at the end was served in large cups, and the cappuccino was very tasty. Only improvement opportunity - I do wish they could offer a glass of chardonnay with an oak finish for less than $16, however. Overall, great experience... thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meets high expectationsNorthBethesdaDinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014We were regulars at a different Black's property: Addie's, which closed recently due to the large scale redevelopment of Rockville Pike. So, we knew to expect a great experience at this restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food was prepared and presented well, from the warm bread and on. Glass of wine is served nicely in a small carafe. We enjoyed several different fish as entrees, including Skate, which is a nice change of pace from the usual. Worth a visit, and a revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sea foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Awesome oysters and Seafood stew topped off this great meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Power outagePiperVIPDined on 6/17/2014When we arrived for our reservation, the entire block where Blacks Bar is located had a power outage. Hence, they would not seat us or feed us so we went elsewhere. My ratings for food, service and ambience are only there because they are required and do not reflect on those actual aspects.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodLarryVIPDined on 6/14/2014We very pleased with the quality of the seafood, very fresh. The vegetables that came with the main courses were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black's- Fabulous Food & WineEKJoeyDined on 6/14/2014Black's has reached a new level of culinary prowess. Everything we ordered was amazing- Kushi Oysters, Duck breast, Bronzino and a magnificent veal chop. The sizes are great too- fabulous cornbread and greens that would make a non believer turn into a convert. The wine list is terrific. A bottle of Hartford Court Land's Edge Pinot Noir was a stunning pairing for all courses. Our desserts included a sublime Baba ah Rhum and it disappeared in no time. Great service, great cocktails, great meal!Special Features:
- Another Solid MealAndrewjbVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is my fifth time dining here and as always the food was very good.Special Features:
- The communal tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The restaurant is elegant and clean but pretentious. As I entered, I was invited to sit at the "communal table" (a table at the front of the restaurant) to fill out my "application to bring in outside food" (i had a birthday cake for two birthdays in the party!). The form required me to list all ingredients in the cake and a lot of other information (very time-consuming), and it said there would be a $3 plating fee for each piece of cake we eat. We decided we would eat the cake later at home after dinner. So nice restaurant, but incredibly pretentious and somewhat strange.Special Features:
- Overpriced.carlynnecVIPDined on 6/8/2014The food was good but nothing to justify the exorbitant prices.
- Nice experienceru4dcDined on 6/7/2014Good ambiance. Good food and hospitable staff. The layout was nice and roomy and the look is modern. We chose to eat inside, but the outdoor space looks like a must try on the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bsandDined on 6/7/2014food is delicious! and service good too--we loved everything--and people were attentive without being fawningSpecial Features:
- Oysters and roast PigsussVIPDined on 6/7/2014Excellent! Any Brunch from Black's Bar and Kitchen is always a hit! I come here like clockwork 1-2 times a month because it is consistently excellentZ,
- ExcellentPatrickDined on 6/6/2014I had the special, which was a thai seasoned crab cake dish. It was fantastic, as were the drinks and the oysters. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunitymortymomDined on 5/30/2014Although our decision to go to Blacks for our anniversary dinner had been somewhat last minute, we did make a reservation requesting an outside table and informing them that it was our anniversary. We ended up being sat abruptly at a awkward, oversized table by the bar. Although they were busy, they weren't that busy, and if some effort had been made to acknowledge the reservation and requests, I think we would have spent more on our wine and dinner options. As it was the crab cakes, appetizers, and Pinot were good, but not great, and if we return, it would be out of convenience rather than excitement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NonicknameDined on 5/30/2014It was nice to have dinner here to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special evening.EatingOutShouldBeFunVIPDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed a lovely anniversary dinner. The oysters were a highlight.Special Features: