Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: (301) 652-5525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (91)special occasion (79)great for outdoor dining (64)good for groups (60)notable wine list (60)vibrant bar scene (50)hot spot (47)romantic (38)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (28)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Outstanding food and service. The oysters were extremely fresh and delicious. Each course arrived promptly and was cleared away as soon as we were finished. Our server, Chloe, was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu as well as all of the specials. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Resturant is located near ample parking ramp which is free on Saturday evenings. Decour is very nice just the right amount of lighting to create a ambience for couples, friends or family diners. The menu offers a variety of selections to please the three of us in our party. We do not drink so no comment on wine or beer offerings. We arrived at 5:30 on a Saturday evening, and was seated right away in the main dining area which had only a few guests at the time. Our server warmly greeted us and checked to see if a bar offering of calamari could be served in the dining room, and the answer was yes. I ordered the malt mussel & frites, the mussels were very good, and prepared with applewood bacon that presented a very tasty addition to the dish. The frites arrived warm to cool, rather than hot, don't know if they were prepared by the batch or for each specific order, results were very ordinary frites. Two in our party both order Blacks Crab Cakes which were very good. My order was the 12 oz ribeye steak with the house steak sauce, which was cooked to perfection, tender and flavorful. The one disappointment was that our entries were very late coming out of the kitchen. We expressed our concern to our server who brought our concerns to the manager. The manager sent back a message to us that even though other guests who arrived after us and received their meals before us that was not a measure of service. As guests, we also noticed other diners that arrived about the same time as us had completed their meals and we're leaving before our entries were served. The manager never approached us to address our service concerns, but left the server hanging out there with a back of the house service issue. While we were perturbed about the unreasonable delay in getting our entries we used the extra time to catch up, since we had not seen each other in quite a while. We finished our meal with a banana trio which the three of us shared. When we left the Resturant was packedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food4mercustVIPDined on 11/19/2014The food at Blacks is amazing. My only request is that there be some vegetarian offering on the menu. The chef did prepare a delicious vegetable plate. It would be nice to find something on the regular menu as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seasonal menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014A good seasonal menu. Somewhat typical, not necessary original in selection or preparation, but solid. The fried chicken ordered by one of our party everyone thought had little flavor... like how do you mess up fried chicken?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black's is doing well!!!ZoethecatDined on 11/16/2014Wonderful birthday Sunday brunch at Black's. Food was delicious, service great, surroundings sophisticated, noise not too bad, what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodhaviDined on 11/13/2014Great food accompanied by excellent service make this restaurant a must. Their oysters were great and the seafood has amazing flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimFredDined on 11/12/2014Lovely business lunch! I would recommend for business and/or personal dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsstuckintheburbsDined on 11/11/2014Birthday dinner with family. First thing I saw on the menu was "Happy Birthday, Jennie!!!" at the top of the page. Nice touch! Great selection of oysters. The hanger steak was huge and the truffle mac and cheese was creamy, rich and delicious. I ordered a medium rare filet mignon and roasted cauliflower with preserved lemon and bread crumbs. The filet was fantastic, but was served blue - had to have it re-fired, but they were very nice about it and brought me soup while I waited. Had to pay extra for sauce for the steak; that seemed kind of chintzy to me. The cauliflower wasn't as good as it sounds, kind of plain, but the filet and cabernet demi glace were great. My husband's grilled rockfish on oyster stew was delicious. Expensive but YUM.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Awesome raw bar. Excellent omelet station - had them make me a smoked salmon and carmelized onion omelet - outstanding. The prime rib was too rare - almost raw in middle - only criticism. The baked goods were delicious.Special Features:
- ExceptionalSnickerdoodleDined on 11/8/2014Can not say enough great things about this restaurant. We visit the area several times a year and will make this one of our must do's! Exceptional night at an exceptional restaurant!Special Features:
- TheGuyDined on 11/8/2014I am new to the area and it is good to know this place exist, but that's all. I was not impressed. The service was not bad, but the hostess was not very welcoming. Personally, I don't like tables with seats fixed against the wall, it is not elegant at all, not to mention that it might be particularly uncomfortable for some people. Perhaps next time will try the bar.
- Found my crabcake!FoodsterVIPDined on 11/8/2014I was researching a good crabcake in Bethesda and was led to Blacks. It was very good indeed, served as 2 sliders with old bay fries. I ordered them without the buns and found them small but very tasty. 2 for 1 local oysters were excellent as was the local beer.Special Features:
- Oysters oysters oystersSaladLoverDined on 11/7/2014we loved all the oysters we tried, but the Chesapeake's were the best.Special Features:
- phenomenal specialsLindaVIPDined on 11/7/2014The linguini with truffles and truffle oil, topped with a quail egg, was outstanding. Really beyond belief tasty. The salad special was creative and especially tasty as well, even if I don't love my greens as I should. Sushi grade tuna for dinner was amazing also!Special Features:
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Generally we expect and get an excellent meal at the Black's restaurants, but this one was a bit disappointing. My husband and I split the arugula salad which had too much dressing for our taste. My husband ordered the salmon medium rare, and it was served medium to well cooked. I ordered the crab cake entree which had a salad with it that was also overdressed -- with the dressing the dominant taste for the whole meal. Surprisingly disappointing but usually very good.
- Off nightStnissankaVIPDined on 11/6/2014I know the Blacks group of restaurants well, and have been to Addie's and Blacksalt many times. This was only my second time at Black's, the first time being a Valentine's Day years ago. The main courses took a long time to come out... Ling enough that a comped dessert would have been appropriate (that didn't happen, and considering the table next to us sat down after we did and received entrees before we did, it should have). The fried chicken needed to be moister and better seasoned. Everything else was good, but I guess knowing the quality and high end service we normally get, this was a disappointing visit. Thankfully the Addie's mussels were just as amazing as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad chef dayMollyVIPDined on 11/6/2014Eating for years at Blacks. Today was a disaster from the kitchen. Kale salad week before was delicate and delicious. Today, not eatable. Kale heavy, thick dressing vinaigrette over whelmed. The Blacks veggie salad was presented with lettice, 5 blackeye peas. Previous same salad had variety of veggies including radishes , delicious. This salad too was acid dressing,vinaigrette . Soggy bread under white bean salad. The server never ask why we left most of the food on our plates. She never offered anything else. Bread or cookies would have been a gentle Offer of apology for this disaster of food.Special Features:
- The Go To PlaceGormandDined on 10/31/2014The bar during Happy Hour is always packed. The cocktails and bar food menu should not be missed. We always have dinner after a cocktail or two A foodie place with a great raw bar selection from local to east and west coast. The mussel dishes should not be missed and the hangar steak was a winner as well. Cooked to order with a nice presentation. Wine parings are also great with the wait staff very knowledgeable. This is our fouth visit and as always a very enjoyable experience. Don't forget to try the desserts.Special Features:
- Sparenone16Dined on 10/29/2014Extremely noisy table next to us so we got moved to another. The food this time was unremarkable for two of us and wonderful for the other two. They ordered the duck which, they say, is their reason for choosing this restaurant. My salmon was overcooked. Just a bit disappointed this time.Special Features:
- Good Seafood Off Staff NightYumYumDined on 10/28/2014This was not my first trip to Black's. You can count on then for high quality seafood and an excellent wine list. This night, the staff seemed out of sync and it took longer to order with less attentiveness than past times despite thw slower night. I have always felt that the dining room is too open with not enough privacy screening from other tables. However, this is countered by the fact that it is one of the few places with carpet on the dining room floor which really deadens the ambient sounds from other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat specialsLindaVIPDined on 10/25/2014I don't care for cod and the cod over a stew with cockles (?) was so good I forked my husband for stealing more than what I thought he should get for a taste. He had the salad special, with mustard greens, olives and crumbled blue cheese and that disappeared so fast I barely had a chance to see it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Recommend!kyfoodie77Dined on 10/23/2014Been at Bethesda for 6 years, but recently moved and came here with friends during a visit back to DC. We had a group and a reservation, everything ran very smoothly and the food was excellent (I had the rib-eye, mac-n-cheese, and mushrooms)! The service was also very good with a very nice atmosphere. My only recommendation is that if you go with a larger group, be sure to tell the serve you want separate checks up front. Overall, highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wine and great oysterstrioDined on 10/22/2014Excellent Oysters and a great boutique wine list. We throrog=ughly enjoyed our dining experience. A must stop while visiting Bethesda.Special Features:
- Great find. Great food.PAfoodieDined on 10/17/2014As always this is a neighborhood gem. Wonderful bustling energy. Eat in or outdoors. Easy garage parking next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeSkupper1Dined on 10/11/2014My spouse and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Blacks. Excellent food and service. Not too loud. Great oysters. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeeeDined on 10/10/2014You can't beat Black's for the food and service. Never disappointed. One of the few restaurants that serve whole fish and make it worth ordering. Oysters are the best. Fantastic mixed drinks and wine. Thank you for another great meal.Special Features:
- rafterman69Dined on 10/10/2014food is great love the out door dining. if you love oysters this is the placeSpecial Features:
- DisappointeddashVIPDined on 10/9/2014Very disappointed. My calamari, usually good at Blacks, was as tough as rubber. Service was inattentive.
- Not Bad great FishThomasKellerwannaBeDined on 10/8/2014Mostly my impressions were positive; wait staff very professional, the food predominantly Fish was amazing. Fabulous starters, salad, etc. Only bad thing was a soggy portion of Swiss Chard that looked and tasted as if it were steamed for 5 days and left on the counter for another 5 days, rather than sautéing hot for seconds.Special Features:
- BrunchFoodieDined on 10/5/2014Great restaurant and food but very unattentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kyle was an excellent server!ChristopherVIPDined on 10/5/2014Black's brunch was very good. It offered a nice array of selections- excellent omlettes and seafood. But although the food was not over the top, I must complement Kyle, our server, who was phenomenal. It my first time to Blacks for their brunch and Kyle was exceptional. He even convinced me to try Sweet Potato Pie! I had never had it before, and wow - it was excellent! He is definitely to be requested for excellent and personable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paint it Black'sLcblynnVIPDined on 10/3/2014Another great meal at this wonderful restaurant. Only criticism is that wine is too expensive. The selection is excellent but they could have a similar variety at a lower cost. Service was a tad slow in beginning because our server had no help with the wine. They need more support there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grat Dining PlaceSDMGTOWNDined on 10/3/2014The food was excellent and so was the service. I would totally recommend this place and will be returning again very soon.Special Features:
- A Brunch That Should Not Be MissedMarkulaDined on 9/28/2014Excellent food and very good service made for a very enjoyable afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sussVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food equality is consistent. Too consistent. Chef should add one or tow things as add ons every week. Example: Caesar salad. This can be made Differently every week one weekend, use whole grilled romaine, another with chopped romaine, the next one mixed up romaine...Special Features:
- BrunchpjamieDined on 9/28/2014Another great brunch at Black's. I mainly eat the raw bar, and all of the selections are wonderful. I will highly recommend it if you are eating the buffet, because the other items are expensive for what you get. The waiter gave great service and let us linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodSaintDined on 9/27/2014Went there with friends that recently moved to the CONUS. All of us had various seafood dishes and they were quite tasty and cooked to perfection. The mussels were consistently good and the key lime dessert was a great way to finish the meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014I have always found the food at all of Black's restaurants to be excellent, but tonight all four entrees for our party were superb.Special Features:
- Oooops...slipping in qualitysussVIPDined on 9/21/2014Slight change of quality can be seen immediately. Smoked salmon is not as high quality. Seafood offerings are scaled back - no crab offereing this season, smaller selection of tartare and cerviche. Salads lack variety and quality not like before. Breakfast Sausage shrunk. Less crawfish used in the Eggs Benedict. One meat selection - Prime Beef - instead of two which had ham and Prime Beef. Hopefully the quality comes back...Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.ChltbnyDined on 9/20/2014The Restuarant ambiance was sexy romantic and inviting. Wine display gorgeousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.