Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3016525525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (82)great for outdoor dining (80)neighborhood gem (78)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (44)notable wine list (39)romantic (36)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (31)hot spot (27)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- A Brunch That Should Not Be MissedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Excellent food and very good service made for a very enjoyable afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sussVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food equality is consistent. Too consistent. Chef should add one or tow things as add ons every week. Example: Caesar salad. This can be made Differently every week one weekend, use whole grilled romaine, another with chopped romaine, the next one mixed up romaine...Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Went there with friends that recently moved to the CONUS. All of us had various seafood dishes and they were quite tasty and cooked to perfection. The mussels were consistently good and the key lime dessert was a great way to finish the meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014I have always found the food at all of Black's restaurants to be excellent, but tonight all four entrees for our party were superb.Special Features:
- Oooops...slipping in qualitysussVIPDined on 9/21/2014Slight change of quality can be seen immediately. Smoked salmon is not as high quality. Seafood offerings are scaled back - no crab offereing this season, smaller selection of tartare and cerviche. Salads lack variety and quality not like before. Breakfast Sausage shrunk. Less crawfish used in the Eggs Benedict. One meat selection - Prime Beef - instead of two which had ham and Prime Beef. Hopefully the quality comes back...Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.ChltbnyDined on 9/20/2014The Restuarant ambiance was sexy romantic and inviting. Wine display gorgeousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplendidMollyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Exciting eating experience. Many wines and Doug will help you choose one, he's excellent with finding a special wine for you,aSpecial Features:
- Pretty tastyFoodiegirl83Dined on 9/20/2014We were greeted and seated very promptly upon arrival even though the restaurant was very busy. The lighting is nice, but it was quite noisy in there- more of a "bar" feeling to me even though its table seating. We started with "Addie" style muscles which were DELICIOUS. I could have drank that sauce all by itself. They were cooked perfectly. Excellent. Main course I had trout. It was okay. Not amazing, not bad. Just okay. Dessert was fried apple pie. Yummy! Very tasty and not too sweet. Overall would recommend but mostly for muscles and oysters and not so much the main courses.Special Features:
- Standard for Black's - Very goodLLV2VIPDined on 9/19/2014Black's is an interesting place. For lunch, you can usually count on "pretty good" experiences. The weather was great so we ate outside and as long as you don't mind bus traffic, it's nice. The salads are always exceptional at Black's and both of us had different options with different proteins. Service started out with 5 stars and drifted down to 2 stars because we couldn't get our server's attention for over 10 minutes to get our check. Black's is also outstanding for happy hour; however, I've had unsatisfactory experiences at dinner. They are celebrating their 15 year anniversary right now, so go for happy hour or lunch!
- Hidden GemandyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great lunch!!!! Ate outside with great service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Food can't be beatBusinesDinerDined on 9/17/2014Fantastic oysters. Great fish. Very relaxed - we ate and talked for 3 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The value is lackingRWoodBVIPDined on 9/17/2014I do not mind spending $70 for lunch for one person IF the ingredients are better than those I can purchase myself at a fish market and the preparation is better than my own. In this case, the mussels in the appetizer were less plump and moist than those I purchase, but the sauce was better than mine. The farm-raised salmon was inferior to the wild caught salmon I purchase myself at a local grocery store and the preparation was cloying. The two glasses of wine were grossly overpriced. I can purchase the Kono sauvignon blanc for less than $10 a bottle when I purchase a case, but I paid $11 for just over six ounces at Black's. Finally, $7 for a small double espresso is excessive. If I am going to spend $70, I want $70 worth of value.
- A great evening at Black'sJM81623Dined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent and service outstanding. So refreshing having a waitperson who is attentive and responds with simply a glance across the room in her direction. Ask for Mandy and you will be well cared for. I had the tuna rare, which exceeded expectations and the side dish which was a blend of peppers, onions, pineapple and a few other delights was a wonderful complement.Special Features:
- Good ServiceLindaDined on 9/13/2014Our reservation was for 6:15 PM and as soon as we got there we were seated. The waiter came soon after and explained what were the special dishes for the evening. Dinner was prompt and delicious. We order half bottle of prosecco which they did not have (they have run out of it the night before), still the waiter had suggestions of several kinds of sparkling wine by the glass., which we had. When my husband got his expresso, we had complementary sweet white chocolate candy, very nice! In general it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not meet my expectationserininDined on 9/13/2014I had made the reservations via OpenTable and instructed them to bring a piece of cake with a candle at the end. Obviously, we were going to pay for it. They did not do it and yet as we were leaving the host yelled behind us saying "happy birthday". No other explanation was offered as to why they didn't follow my instructions. I found it to be pretty snobbish and unfriendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday LunchdausyandtheoDined on 9/13/2014I invited several dear friends to lunch at Black's to celebrate my 65th birthday. The lunch was delightful in every way. The choice of Black's was brilliant: perfect setting, perfect service and great food that was beautifully presented. Everyone raved about the menu selections and vowed to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Pedestrian food at a high price. Clear they are not making an effort in the kitchen.
- Very goodoldersingleDined on 9/9/2014Been twice recently big group & as couple. Food was very-good to excellent both times. Appetizers were very good both times, soft shell crabs & soup the first time, mussels & lentil-based soup 2nd time. Mussels were in a coconut sauce so was pleasantly surprised not too sweet--my friend really loved them. I had duck both times, despite it being mostly a fish place. The grilled duck, medium rare, is amazing! Sides were fine, nothing real special. With just the two of us, for a romantic dinner, the outdoor dining was lovely, with a small pool at our feet no traffic to speak of, quiet--indoors was a bit noisey but fine for groups. Desserts were good to very good. Relaxed pace, pretty good service, good food, convenient. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; Entrees slowBinrahVIPDined on 9/8/2014I heard that this is an excellent restaurant in Bethesda and Black's did not disappoint in that regard. The tilefish salad was outstanding as well as the entrees that my colleague and I ordered. The appetizers came in reasonable time and the cocktails were excellent (not too watered down). However, the entrees took a very long time to be delivered to the table with no apparent explanation. Hopefully this was an aberration in otherwise excellent service. I plan to eat at this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall just fine, but...AgentSmithVIPDined on 9/6/2014I love the ambience in Black's dining area - comfortable, casually elegant, and relatively quiet. The bar is fun and lively. Service was very good and the food was fresh. What's not to like? Black's is expensive, especially at dinner. Most entrees hit $30, most of wines are $50 or higher. Four of us each had an entrée; we split a bottle of wine and one appetizer and it cost us $240 with tip. Seriously!? Black's and other area restaurants serving contemporary American cuisine strike me as trying too hard. My trout (with a sprinkle of lump crab) was served on a bed of vegetables - delicious, but loused up by a cloying tomato cream sauce that just didn't work. I want to love Blacks, but the price is too dear.Special Features:
- dinnerCindyDined on 9/4/2014Had a fantastic evening..server was attentive without rushing or crowding us, Informative on menu items he helped guide us on our selections. Meal was delicious, outdoor dining was perfect. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood-equisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Great spot, very refined cooking- an enjoyable meal for sure. But you should be up for a fancy meal, and fancy bill-yet worth it for special nights out during fall, spring and moderate summer weatherSpecial Features:
- Food was Fabulous!Smile53Dined on 9/3/2014Had lunch with a friend and the service and food was wonderful!Special Features:
- Superb food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Excellent seafood and steaks. Consistently courteous service. A family favorite, even with the kids. Sunday brunch keeps us coming back and bringing friends and family to enjoy a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrPieDined on 9/1/2014They went above on and beyond when they were told it was our wedding anniversary. They greeted us with sparkling wine and menus printed just for us. They end our delicious menu with a decorated plate of the dessert we ordered. The food, wine, and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodReliablyexcellentDined on 8/31/2014The oysters and shrimps were fabulous. But if you want the traditional eggs-bacon-and such, you can have it ,too. And the service was first class. ~ bingSpecial Features:
- Perfect EveningellencVIPDined on 8/30/2014I had my out of town family in for Labor Day weekend. We had a marvelous dinner for 7 of us on Sat. night. Our server was excellent, friendly and helpful in explaining the options. We had several appetizers which were outstanding and shared a dessert. The food is so delicious and prepared well. My family was thrilled with the evening.Special Features:
- Beautiful spot for dinnerNawlinsDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dinner - enjoyed a variety of fresh raw oysters. Great service, fun evening. Menu was a bit limited - would have liked more fish options, but crabcakes were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnHVIPDined on 8/29/2014Hadn't been here in some time. Greatly enjoyed our return. Service was delightful and all the food was delicious. Make sure and try the oysters.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014Bob provided excellent service. Food delicious and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT experience had!!BeckardDined on 8/23/2014My Wife and I looked for a great eating experience and we found it. The Raw Oysters were top notch and the Steak was perfect. We ordered Key Lime for desert (our favorite) and Black's is now on our "favorite list". We will defiantly be heading backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening at Black'sIluvfoodDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful meal at Black's. Great food and service. Will go back again! Thank you.Special Features:
- Another Great EveningGinger4LuckDined on 8/22/2014Black's, once again did not disappoint us in any way. The food was absolutely superb as always. The Oysters were excellent and the crab cakes and soft shell crab were cooked perfectly. We always reserve Black's for all of our special occasions i.e. birthdays, anniversary etc. I would recommend Blacks to anyone without any reservations what so ever. We will be back again and again and again. Complements to the Chef......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealKAL90Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I enjoyed our meals- gazpacho and soft shell crab & clams and seared tuna. But the gal of the couple we were with had some food allergies and the waiter seemed exasperated with her requests. That was kind of unfortunate and affected the tone of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthdayBirthday101Dined on 8/18/2014I took a friend there for her birthday and we had a wonderful time. The service and the food were both equally outstanding. I would consider this to be among the top restaurants in Bethesda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunchPinkeyDined on 8/18/2014Met with a group of girlfriends for lunch. Really enjoyed their Express Lunch menu that included a glass of wine, starter and main course for $18.00. Ate on the patio. Service was relaxed but attentive. I've been here many times for dinner and drinks and have always enjoyed myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchsussVIPDined on 8/17/2014Glorious cold seafood spread, great salads, several sumptuous entrees and desserts that make you feel so guilty! Keep it up! Don't raise prices! We want the pig roast again!Special Features:
- Nice EveninghungryDined on 8/16/2014Overall seafood was very good, but crab cakes were disappointing. Wine list is impressie, but somewhat pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lee41VIPDined on 8/16/2014Nice to know the Black group does entrees beyond wish well -- we enjoyed our veal sutlets and duck breast very much.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014the swordfish was disappointing and the seafood stew much to spicy