BlackFly - St Augustine
108 Anastasia Blvd
Saint Augustine, FL 32080Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BlackFly - St Augustine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://blackflytherestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9042016300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Full Bar open daily at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Matthew Duley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BlackFly - St Augustine
If you're looking for a seafood restaurant in St. Augustine, this unique fly-fishing themed restaurant offers daily fresh fish specials using locally caught fish that you don't usually see on most restaurant menus. The kitchen at BlackFly is a "Scratch Kitchen"; everything is fresh, as local as possible, seasonal and made to order. The menu at BlackFly includes brick oven pizzas and Chop House selections as well as an extensive wine selection. Mike and Cindy, partners in BlackFly and owners of the Famous Collage Restaurant in downtown St. Augustine are the operational managers. The menu is the grand result of their combined expertise, their years of experience in bringing the best possible product to the table and the imaginative input of our talented chef Matt Duley. The restaurant is under the internationally known BlackFly Brand of Vaughn Cochran, a Florida artist who lives and paints in St. Augustine, Florida and who developed the famous BlackFly Logo.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
BlackFly - St Augustine - Best Restaurants in St. Augustine ›
BlackFly - St Augustine reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (43)special occasion (28)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (20)romantic (11)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Excellent Food and ServiceJazzyJeffJaxDined on 10/16/2014The menu is diverse and includes salads and wood-fired pizza to eclectic entrees of Lobster Mac & Cheese, Lake Snapper and Ribeye with a variety of toppings. Our meals (Snapper, Chicken and Salmon) were spot on in presentation and taste. Caesar salads were garlicky and garnished with long Parmesan crisp. Our server was very attentive and kept our water and cocktails filled. :) A definite must for dining. A perfect find before or after a concert at the Amphitheater.Special Features:
- A St Augustine must!BigTDined on 10/8/2014Attentive service, comfortable surroundings. We shared the calamari starter. They were a sensation. Tender, with a touch of blue cheese. Lightly crumbed with a tasty dressing. We both had a ribeye, which were excellent. The medium rare and medium were done to perfection, vegetables and mash, tasty. We will come again next time we stay at St Augustine. Unfortunately the pre-dinner cocktail was not up to par.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!Lovestodineout727VIPDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I dined here on a Sunday night while on a vacation to St Augustine. It was a very quiet evening with only 3 or 4 tables filled. The service was exemplary as was the food. I selected the snapper and my husband chose the fried shrimp. Both were fresh, tasty and light. We will definitely return here when coming back to St Augustine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, deliciouspvb1165Dined on 10/2/2014We have been here 4 or5 times, and it is still as good as ever. We were a party of six and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was very good. There was one small hiccup on my clams and linguine, about 5 were not open, they replaced with even more. Looking forward to our return.Special Features:
- Black Fly is delicious!kfp63Dined on 9/20/2014The food was to die for, fresh and very good flavor. Service was a little slow, but the waitress was nice and helpful. Just a little slow on refills. We were seated immediately, the ambiance romantic (dark with candle light), artwork on the wall was vibrant. Dessert was wonderful also, great ice cream!!! Not to pricey. Portions are right on! We will eat here again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Dining ExperienceJVLGatorDined on 9/20/2014Great place and excellent menu. We always take out of town gusts to Black Fly because always assured of good atmosphere and yummy food. The wait staff are always there to guide and help. It is a place that makes you feel right at home.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood, great wine listJohnJanetDined on 9/17/2014Many choices of seafood, all fresh and delicious. The scallops were awesome! Will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be deceived by the lookscaswanDined on 9/14/2014We are from Long Island where fresh seafood is in abundance. The fish here is excellently prepared in unique dishes. Very surprising from a spot that you wouldn't suspect would serve delicious food when you drive by. You MUST go when you are in the St. Augustine area!Special Features:
- superiorBedfordBoyDined on 9/7/2014One of the finest meals we have had in St.Augustine. We were pleasantly suprised as the resaurant does not look special on the outside. Everything served was great from appetizers to dessert. Service was good and decor was pleasing and unique. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSSandersDined on 8/31/2014Everything about this place is great. From the food, service, and decor, it's great. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let neighborhood fool youGumboBreauxDined on 8/31/2014This neighborhood spot on the not so glamorous street is good spot for tasty meal and great service - the salmon was cooked correctly and had a Soy Vay Veri teriyaki like sauce , crab pasta, clams and spinach appy were good as well- sautéed veggies good- pricing a little high but in tourist towns expected - wine choices limited but ok and priced on high side -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for eight.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Family night out. Holiday weekend with multiple large parties, so kitchen was a bit overwhelmed therefore food was slow coming out. Great when it got there though. Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantBeverlandVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food is always consistent at Black Fly. Only concern is that the sides are often not hot. Had the catch of the day and the crab pasta. Both were very tasty. Our service was great, as always. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Another Four BaggerATSSAROGVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went to the Black Fly on Friday before Labor Day and had another wonderful dinner. The cobia rates in my top 5 seafood dishes of all time! Thanks to Vaughn & Nick for creating such a friendly atmosphere. Will be back again..........and again...........Special Features:
- conch frittersNIJADined on 8/24/2014Food & service was great. Nothing more need be said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rbd2Dined on 8/23/2014The menu offer a wide range of choices. Our group of four ordered lamb, duck, lobster and the catch of the day. All excellent. One blip, the horseradish addition to the mashed potatoes was overpowering.Special Features:
- Lucky findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014This place has great fresh food and a very complete selection of options from the bar. Further, 1 of the owners/partners is an accomplished artist with a large and varied repertoire in the restaurant. He was there during our visit and we had an interesting and enjoyable conversation.Special Features:
- Go-to place in St. AugustineErasmoVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were pleasantly surprised with our first dining experience at BlackFly on our visit to St. Augustine. It is in an unpretentious building on a main road, but the food was excellent, as was the service. The menu choices were extensive and everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and served at the proper temperature. BlackFly has a huge bar/wine list with the largest selection on vodkas we have ever seen, plus a number of very interesting gin choices. St. Augustine is a tourist destination, but BlackFly is definitely not a typical tourist-trap. It is a go-to place and one that we will definitely revisit on our next trip to St. Augustine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food without all the PretenseshappenedalongDined on 8/16/2014It was a very nice menu without all the stuffy awkwardness of fine dining. There were diners of all ages, the menu is diverse, and the setting is comfortable. There are no white tablecloths or crumb scrapers, the food is good and a step up from your everyday fare. It was comfortable (although a little loud), they serve good food at reasonable prices, and I look forward to returning again!Special Features:
- First TimerG8rnut79Dined on 8/16/2014First time at Blackfly...interesting name but now know why it's called the Blackfly. Had a wonderful meal. Will definitely eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drivercjbaumDined on 8/16/2014On a Saturday night, getting through St. Augustine is not easy, but it was worth the drive over the bridge. Another couple and my husband and I tried the Black Fly for the first time and were not disappointed. The vegetarian bolognese was the best pasta dish I have ever had. Everyone else enjoyed their dinners, including the duck and the catch of the day. My husband also had the conch soup which he said was delicious. The only suggestion I have is to get rid of the piece of hard toast that came with the Caesar salad. Not very tasty. Our waitress, Carrie, gave us great service and always with a smile. You can make reservations on Open Table, which is another reason to give the Black Fly a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!HammockgalDined on 8/15/2014This was our second time here and we brought friends that had never dined here. We loved it! Service was very good and the food was varied and fabulous. I had the scallops with risotto. Tender and succulent and the sauce was a perfect complement to the risotto. The bar area is very loud and vibrant but the dining room is much quieter. It is spacious and tables placed with enough space between so one does not hear your neighbors talk. Not a really a romantic scene with it's fishing theme. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Fly continues to deliver!LoriDined on 8/10/2014As always, Black Fly is just a great place to eat. We love going here prior to concerts at the St. Augustine Amphitheater - they are great at getting your food out fresh and wonderful but also mindful of timing. Normally I have the scallops over risotto when I'm here, but this time I indulged my urge for a pizza and did the Meditterranean pizza. YUM! Awesome. My husband did his normal "fish and spinach" with a wonderful blackened salmon filet and wonderful sauteed spinach. Our friends had the Cajun pizza and the appetizer special which was a slider and fries and it was wonderful and plenty of food. If I lived closer, I'd probably eat here every night because the food is so awesome, the prices are great, and the bar always delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration classymarylovesalexDined on 8/6/2014We booked a table for my daughter's birthday. Last year, having booked through Open Table, the event was not acknowledged even though i mentioned it to the host and noted on the reservation. This year, reserving and mentioning again, we got special attention at our table and my daughter was treated to a free dessert. Service was timed just right, food was dellicious, our server couldn't have been more professional. A relaxing and fun experience. We will recommend to all our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The one that got awayProfoodie1Dined on 8/2/2014The food was mediocre at best. Fried buffalo calamari was not fried enough, pale yellow in color instead of golden brown, the sauce was so so. The tomato based chowder was good. The entrees were disappointing. The fresh catch was not fresh, it had the texture and look of frozen fish, dry pale top sitting in a small puddle of water. It was supposed to be seared but the sear was only 0n one side. The chef finished it off in the oven resulting in a dry tasteless piece of fish. I had a lump crab pasta dish with white wine and red pepper flakes. There was no pepper flake in the dish so the spicy kick was missing.The portion was small for the price. no value for price paid. This is one restaurant which lacks the passion in the food.Special Features:
- Fantastic!JerseyJune14Dined on 7/30/2014We had 3 dinners and all were cooked to perfection and served hot. Quality of food was first rate. I had the best scallops there I have ever tasted. Will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiVIPDined on 7/25/2014We enjoy pizza here, appetizers are great, salmon is special, lively bar with locals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your ordinary seafood spotDrfrogDined on 7/15/2014Offers interesting and delightful renderings of fine seafood dining. While seafood is the speciality don't confuse the Black Fly with most shore-side "fish houses. " the food is thoughtfully conceived and prepared, true to fine seafood traditions but innovative enough to be an interesting alternative. My wife had crab cakes, best she's ever had, with an impressive crab to filler ration. Service was friendly and everyone seemed to care about our dining experience. St Augustine has many good to excellent seafood restaurants and the Black Fly is certainly in the top tier.Special Features:
- Great find !JoanieDined on 7/13/2014Great food and service! Recommend for an enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with WifestptDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I had dinner here on our last night of a weeklong beach vacation. The food was great, I started with the Bahamian Conch Chowder, which was very good, slightly spicy with a bold taste. My wife began with the Cider House Salad and was pleased. For an entree I had the Capellini with Lump Blue Crab and it was outstanding. My wife had the Seared Fresh Catch, which was Mahi Mahi, and they substituted easily on the sides to meet her dietary needs. We enjoyed a nice King Estate, ’11 Pinot Gris with the meal and finished with the Chocolate Ganache Tart, both were excellent. Service was very good but not superb as the dining room was very busy and loud, we found the volume a constant distraction from the meal and our own conversation.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood apptStarfishMommaDined on 7/9/2014Good food, good service, and nice wine list..nice bar areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 4thRogersDined on 7/4/2014Everything was wonderful. The most attentive and friendly staff around. Food is terrific! Wine list is great! Very affordable and the overall atmosphere is very lively. The owner, Vaughn, is alaays around making everyone feel welcome. One of St. Augustine's BEST!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014Had 7 people in our party on July 4th and everyone enjoyed their dinner before the fireworks.Special Features:
- July 4th dinnerJamesDined on 7/4/2014We had a fine meal before fireworks in St Augustine. Food was excellent, service great. It was a bit busy and slower than usual, but it was packed for a busy night in town, so to be expected. The noise level was the only thing that could have been improved. A bit noisy. We love this restaurant and will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another 4 BaggerATSSAROGVIPDined on 7/4/2014Well we are getting accustomed to great food and service at the Black Fly having been a half dozen or more times now. Always good food and service, even thought it was packed on the 4th of July!! They made a great decision to keep the pizza on the menu so the kids have a choice of what to eat if they don't want a full dinner. Of course, we will be back again:)Special Features:
- once again, deliciouspvb1165Dined on 7/2/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and it was as good or better than our first trip. My wife and I shared the siracha shrimp and they were not to spicy but with just enough kick. I had the linguini and clams again and my God they are soooo good!! There are no chopped clams but a dozen clams in their shell, the white wine sauce has just a hint of sweetness and wine, butter and garlic taste. We were six people and everyone loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My reflectionEatemupDined on 6/27/2014Everything was fine. Better than average food and overall experience... The only negative about the place was that it had a strong fishy odor that was unpleasant...like an old fishy smell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayJDined on 6/27/2014Was passing through the area and decided to try. Had a wonderful meal and the staff were excellent. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gmnanagmDined on 6/27/2014The food was very good and our server was great. It is a little pricey but it would not keep me away. The only down side for me was it was very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!CalFamilyDined on 6/27/2014Mike, You've done it again! Collage and Black Fly are awesome. Although different, they both have - Great food, great service and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 99 reviews are from the BlackFly - St Augustine reviews archive.