BlackFinn American Saloon
16 West Jefferson Avenue
Naperville, IL 60540Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
BlackFinn American Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackfinnchicago.com/naperville/
- Phone: 6307170400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Duffield
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Casey Dulny 630-717-0400
- Entertainment: BlackFinn is renowned not only for its delicious food, but also for its inviting and lively social atmosphere. With sizeable private rooms equipped with Internet access and audio/visual presentation equipment, BlackFinn is the ideal venue for any type of event, from an intimate dining experience or celebration to business meetings and holiday parties. BlackFinn Naperville also has dozens of flat-screen televisions positioned throughout the restaurant, including booths with private screens, to create a sports-lovers paradise.
A word from BlackFinn American Saloon
As the latest evolution of the New York-style saloon, BlackFinn offers great contemporary American and traditional pub classics, such as hand-battered fish and chips, colossal burgers and tender prime rib. The menu features a vast selection of delectable starters, soups, salads and entrees for both lunch and dinner, with prices ranging from $8.99 to $25.99. BlackFinn features a daily lunch special Monday through Friday from 11:00am until 4:00pm for only $5.99. Some of the daily lunch specials are Old Fashioned Meatloaf, BBQ Ribs, and Chicken tacos. Our Executive Chef Chad Duffield features a catch-of-the-day every night for dinner as well as featuring specials and a late night menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BlackFinn American Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
- Lots of Dining ChoicesStepsiteVIPDined on 5/21/2013This place has 3 levels, including a deck which provides numerous dining choices. I found everything to be standard or below standard bar food, although the serving sizes are reasonable. I had the humus plate which was two dollops of what looked to be a pepper and traditional base humus. Neither were very tasty, I followed with the vegetarian flat bread which was a large serving but again not very flavorful. My side order of asparagus was very fairly priced and the vegetable very nicely grilled. All of the beers looked very fresh when poured and both Guinness I had were absolutely fresh and flavorful. With 2 beers, a starter, a flatbread and a side, my bill game to $30 before tip.
- Food was very good. ServiceA1foodieDined on 5/14/2013Food was very good. Service not so speedy. There were two couples with toddlers letting there children run the full length of the restaurant for the 1 1/2 hours we were there. Not kidding! They were climbing on booths and very noisy. It didn't fair well to enjoying a nice meal with friends on our part. Restaurant staff never said anything.
- Go elswhere for Mothers day brunch!NapervillecustomerDined on 5/12/2013Ads for the brunch were seductive. Price was right, but... by the time we arrived at 11am (a normal time for brunch) the breakfast buffet looked like a herd of elephants had been through it. There was spilled food on the tables, the food looked picked over and the poached salmon was a disappointment - it was a complete fish that each guest had to dig through with a shrimp fork to get any of the fish off the bone. The omelet station was a hit, but they were low on the fixings and so there was a long line waiting. They ran out of plates numerous times which also caused a crowd and some awkward moments - when 5 clean plates arrived and there were 10 people standing there waiting it was almost every man for himself!Special Features:
- Lunchjpilz402VIPDined on 5/7/2013The flatbread was very good, my crab cake sandwich was just OK. It was very quiet mid week for lunch but I am sure it's busy on the weekends or on game night. Not a bad choice for either occasion.Special Features:
- Good venue, good food. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2013Good venue, good food. They have signature dishes on thier menu and others that are not your typical bar fare. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Good Food but Extraordinarily NoisyPhilDined on 3/16/2013Being St.Patrick's day weekend all 3 floors were packed with revelers and the noise level was just slighly less than a jet plane on takeoff. After rejecting one table the hostess finally seated us in a semi-private room that was much less noisy however it was so cold they were using space heaters to keep it sort of warm. Our server went above and beyond to make us comfortable and the food, when it finally arrived was quite good. Perhaps it was just not the right time to try this place out but having a bar in each dining area makes this the noisiest dining experience I have ever had. Be forewarned.Special Features:
- Great place for food and drink.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Great place for food and drink. I think we just had a bad waitress. Will definitely try again!!
- It was very nice, my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013It was very nice, my wife and I enjoyed the Valentine's evening very much. The food was prepared very well with first class service from our server. The only thing somewhat negative was I could have used a bigger portion of the Sea Bass, everything else was great. Thank you for giving us a wonderful Valentine's evening and meal.Special Features:
- Good bar food....SymbaVIPDined on 2/14/2013Overall good food for a Bar/saloon type of establishement.Special Features:
- Go for Sandwiches/Burgers,OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/2/2013BlackFinn American Saloon is a good place, but probably better suited for burgers, sandwiches, salads vs thier entrees. The crab cakes were well below average, but the people in our party who had the fish and chips said they were good as was the shrimp and grits cakes. After about 9 pm it very much switches from a restaurant to a bar, so be aware of that if you have a later reservation.Special Features:
- First Visit Okay not GreatlittlebirdVIPDined on 12/31/2012We were there on New Years Eve and it was our first visit. The ribeye my husband had was grisly and didn't impress. My salmon was good but could have been a bit warmer. The restaurant could have turned up the heat a bit, I was in long sleeves and was chilled. One issue was regarding the drink menu, a drink listed for a specific price was incorrect on the check. It wasn't listed as the specific drink and then had a $2.00 upcharge. It was corrected but a strange occurence nonetheless since the drink menu lists it with the call brand liquor so you would think it would be programmed in their system. We might be willing to try it again, if we are in Naperville at dinnertime and looking for a place and nothing else is available.
- We've dined here at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2012We've dined here at least 6 times this past year. We enjoy the food and we usually sit in the bar area. Service is usually very good, but have had the occasional understaffed evening. We enjoy taking advantage of their happy hour specials or their midweek special pricing. We especially enjoy their roof top terrace in the warm months. Beautiful westerly sunset skies to enjoy.Special Features:
- 2nd visit was a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/11/2012Went on a Sunday for the NFL games and the place was almost empty. They had a cool bloody mary bar and lots of specials. We ordered the beef sliders and "finn" fries. The fries were excellent but the sliders were over-cooked and missing the grilled onions. This was our second time here and both times they were very short handed. We may stop in for a drink some time since the roof top bar looks like a cool place to hang out, but I won't count on the food.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceEBethJDDined on 11/9/2012I don't normally think of this restaurant as kid-friendly, but our excellent waitress made it a great experience for my son, as well as for my mother and myself. We all had a great time. Noise level is a little high on a Friday, but we expected that.
- Took some colleagues thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/15/2012Took some colleagues there for lunch and everyone enjoyed their meal. definately a step above the average bar & grill. And i like the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Ordered the special, and itOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/13/2012Ordered the special, and it was not as described. I like a mild fish so I asked to be sure, and what I got was very like salmon which I do not like at all. No offer to make it right, nothing, and I'm not the type to make a stink. Thank goodness it was on a bed of delicious mashed potatoes!
- Great cheeseburgers (classicOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2012Great cheeseburgers (classic beef sliders)! They had a bloody mary bar which was very cool but they didn't tell us which vodka (3 Olives) was for the special price. We paid almost double for equal quality vodka because we didn't know. They were short handed but our server managed very well. She was bartender/server/busser - very impressive. We tipped well and enjoyed ourselves but will take time to read the specials more carefully next time.Special Features:
- They apparently did not haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012They apparently did not have enough people working this past sat night. With 3 homecomings and 2 private party's you think they would have planned better. The service was more then slow, it was painful. The food when it FINALLY came was excellent!Special Features:
- Always enjoy dining at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2012Always enjoy dining at this place. Always great food and service, and will continue to visit.
- After we ordered our food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2012After we ordered our food, a group was seated next to us and was immediately brought a basket of bread. We asked our waiter if we could have some bread also. It didn't arrive until the meal did. The place was quite empty, so a reservation wasn't really necessary.Special Features:
- Food was good! Great varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2012Food was good! Great variety and menu selection. Something avaialable for everyone's taste. Server was on her game and very sociable. With the exception of the extremely loud and screaming children at the large group next to us, the experience was very nice.Special Features:
- The server was overwhelmed.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012The server was overwhelmed. He had to run up and down the stairs to get our meal. The meal was not as hot as it should be.Special Features:
- Be prepared to be ignoredlhartlVIPDined on 5/4/2012Had a 7 o'clock reservation. Was seated immediately, waited several minutes for a server to acknowledge we were there. In the mean time, the manager made his way around the room asking various tables how everything was; didn't ask us. Waited several MORE minutes for a server, then got up, left and went to a different restaurant, Tango...where the service and food was exceptional. Should have read the other reviews about poor service before making the reservation. Won't make that mistake...or attempt to eat at Blackfinn...again.
- I love the roof top deck atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2012I love the roof top deck at Black Finn, but the food was fair at best. I had a hamburger with bacon, cheese and mushrooms, and I kept thinking how flavorless it was (although I'm not sure how that could even be possible.) Fries were crunchy but barely warm. Husband's fish and chips were "fine".Special Features:
- Wonderful -Great Staff/Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. Our waiter was Tom, a great guy. THe manager stopped and chatted with us. When we first arrived, we were'nt happy with where we were seated. We requested a change and it was done immediately. It was a very good experience and we will definitely come back...and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Great service and very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2012Great service and very good food. Enjoy coming to this restaurant for casual meals in the bar area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Nice Late Night Dinner OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2012It was nice to find a place with a late dinner menu. Due to the late hour that we were eating I went lighter - the ahi tuna appetizer and a wedge salad which was the perfect amount of food. Everything was delicious. The only caveat - the ahi tuna appetizer really would not feed more than one person. Very tiny slices and portion. My husband opted for a Philly Cheesesteak item and it looked great and the beef appeared tender.Special Features:
- Only slightly negative commentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2012Only slightly negative comment is that we ordered the calamari and it was difficult to share as the pieces were very small and it was also a bit tough and over done. The beheading was too crunchy.Special Features:
- I ordered the Chilean SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/17/2012I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass. Not only was the portion small, it was not what I would call tasty. My wife ordered the ribeye which was undercooked and bland. My two kids both had burgers which went uneaten. Poor food.
- We were there on St. Patrick'sDebbiVIPDined on 3/17/2012We were there on St. Patrick's Day so it was very noisy. The food was pretty good although the greens in my salad were just iceberg lettuce which I don't usually eat because it has little if any nutritional value.Special Features:
- March Madness and LentDinner42Dined on 3/16/2012He wanted to watch the NCAA tournament. She wanted a fish fry. The fish and chips were delicious! All the games were on the four TVs in the dining room.Special Features:
- Great place to get a steakOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2012Great place to get a steak or just a burger. The service is what really impressed us the most. All staff members: the hostess, managers, bus persons, and especially the servers do an incredible job.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2012We had a wonderful dinner and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- my wife's Filet Mignon arrivedBobbyWDined on 2/25/2012my wife's Filet Mignon arrived well-done when ordered medium, credit to the wait, kitchen and management for prompt attention and overall concern. Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- an upscale sports bar/resturantDiamondDaveVIPDined on 2/17/2012an upscale sports bar/resturant that has a good menu. Nice casual diningSpecial Features:
- Dining certificate worthlessckrashDined on 2/16/2012I have dined at Black Finn before and thought the food was good. But I will never go again. I was given a BlackFinn dining certificate from work and I invited another couple to dinner. The certificate did not expire until March 1, so I assumed Black Finn would honor it. The manger came to the table and said they were under new management and they would not honor the certificate. What poor management and service. Meanwhile, my coworkers were dining upstairs later that night, and they honored the same certificate. What is that? Don't give out promotion materials then say we can't honor it. It is nothing but bait and switch. They could of handled this situation so much better if they had any management skills.
- Nice Option in NapervilleHighExpectationsVIPDined on 2/10/2012Made a reservation for Friday night. We were running behind, called, and they held table for us for 45 minutes! We were seated upstairs in a great oversized booth that comfortably fit our party of 6. Waiter was super patient with us and our kids. Kids menu was typical but the adult dinner menu had lots of great choices both pub food and nicer entrees. Appetizers were great, dinner was very good, didn't try the dessert this time. Prices were typical for downtown Naperville. Can't wait to visit again without the distraction of the little ones.Special Features:
- Great food and a fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2012Great food and a fun atmosphere make for a good time with someone else or a small group. It does get louder later in the evening but is manageable. Definitely a great bar scene.Special Features:
- Burgers are very good. Oncejrh2601VIPDined on 1/6/2012Burgers are very good. Once you step out of typical bar food, they do not come through
- Everything about our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2011Everything about our visit was wonderful. Great food, great atmosphere, excellent service and very reasonable prices. They have a variety of great tasting foods at a fair price. The Balboa is one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten and the fries were great also. We are definitely adding this to our list of top places to frequent.Special Features: