BlackFinn American Grille - Houston
1910 Bagby St
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
BlackFinn American Grille - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackfinnhouston.com/
- Phone: 7136519550
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 11:00am - 2:00am Sat - Sun: 10:00a.m. - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Turner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music on the Patio every weekend night.
A word from BlackFinn American Grille - Houston
BlackFinn offers quality food and drink in a comfortable, social environment. The menu boasts a wide variety of American classics and regional favorites that are made fresh, served with a smile and won’t break the bank. The restaurant’s unique interior offers Guests four distinct settings to experience BlackFinn in multiple ways for lunch, dinner, happy hour, game day and late night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BlackFinn American Grille - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
- Service was excellent, foodYummyDined on 8/5/2013Service was excellent, food was good, price a little high - hard to find and no parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodLarissaVIPDined on 8/4/2013I say surprisingly because it is not a restaurant that has alot of buzz about it - it isn't a "hot spot" and doesn't have a celebrity chef, but was quite enjoyable. We went as part of restaurant weeks, and were pleased. The ying yang shrimp was quite good, as was the blackened brie. Shrimp and grits were better than most with a hint of (I think) ginger that wasn't over powering at all, but an interesting add. We will be back for the full menu.
- We went here for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2013We went here for the first time because of HRW. We liked the look of the brunch menu and 3 courses for $20 was one of the better brunch deals available. We were not alone in our choosing as 10 tables were quickly occupied within 15 minutes of opening. We split the two appetizers (queso and hummus) since they're shareable anyway. One of us had the crabcake benedict and the other the "hangover" flatbread. Desserts were nice (not gargantuan but more than just a few bites) and included key lime pie and pineapple upside down cake. When we got the bill, we were both pleasantly surprised AND disappointed. The mimosas [$7 per the menu we were given] were only ONE DOLLAR each. So why the disappointment? No one told us about the deal!!Special Features:
- BlackFinn was a fantasticsknoeVIPDined on 8/2/2013BlackFinn was a fantastic experience. Went there for Restaurants Weeks- the food was great and the service was excellent. We sat on the patio with our dog and they were very accomodating to him as well. We had appetizers (Ying Yang Shrimp and the Chicken Quesadillas), salads (BlackFinn x 2), entrees (Ahi Tuna Salad and Shrimp Tacos), and desserts (Key Lime Pie and Pineapple Upside Down Cake). All the food was really good- our favorite was the crisy shrimp appetizer. We also received an email from the restaurant giving us a free appetizer on our next visit. Very nice! Overall, it was outstanding and we may have found our new hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret FindEatNStyleDined on 7/16/2013Walking into Blackfin, I was immediately reminded of an old English pub. Cannot believe that they are able to support such an extensive menu. From crabcakes (made like Mom's) to porkloin and baconwrapped meatloaf---you can't go wrong. There is something for everyone. I have lived in the neighborhood since 2001 and pride myself on knowing the newest eateries to open. I had no idea this was right under the nose. Only disappointment was that the mini-desserts are no longer part of the menu (although still in print). Someone should seriously consider bringing them back. I'm sure they are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ick! Expensive and terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2013We thought we would check this place out because our dinner guests requested American cuisine. It was much worse than we anticipated. The food was some of the worst I have had in a very long time. Kitchen forgot items on salad, and we had to track waiter down to get him missing items. Poor quality and tasteless food. Nothing tasted fresh.We're happy to pay for good quality food, but this was expensive and tasted like frozen dinners! I had a tiny piece of stuffed (only breadcrumbs) salmon and a broiled tomato was the side for $21.99. The waiter basically told us that the food was bad right from the start. We should have left. Save your money and time! We eat out all of the time, and this was one of the worst meals I have had in a long time.
- Go for the barOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/24/2013We decided to try BlackFinn for restaurant week & it was not at all what we expected. We were seated in a huge room in the very back with maybe 2 other groups of diners. It felt very weird & secluded. The appetizers were alright. I would definitely not reccommend the blackened brie. It tasted burnt. The steak diana was actually pretty flavorful but the desserts were way too sweet & should be shared amongst several people. Overall, i think I would return here to sit at the bar and have drinks with friends. Definitely wouldn't go back for the dinner scene.Special Features:
- Try the bacon wrapped meatloaf!MattDined on 6/23/2013After all, everything is better with bacon! Burgers are also good, and they have a great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and outdoorLuv2dineDined on 6/22/2013Great location and outdoor patio. Food can be inconsist. When good it is very good ( mac n cheese!) and when not mediocre. Ask for Jordan who is a terrific waiter.Special Features:
- Nice but can be a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2013It has a nice atmosphere, but the menu items can be a bit pricey for what you get. The seafood salad didn't contain much seafood for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Bad ServiceDixxie11Dined on 6/14/2013I made a reservation for 6 people on a Friday evening. They rushed us to place our order we enjoyed the meal but as soon as we finished our food about an hour after arriving they cleared the table and brought our bills. They never asked if we would like additional drinks or dessert. Clearly they just wanted us out of the restaurant so they could seat another table. I would not expect a restaurant to push customers out the door especially with a reservation on a Friday night. I'll go back because the food was good and my past experience with BlackFinn have been good ones but not with a big group and not on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the HassleHolostoiVIPDined on 6/11/2013This place is not worth the hassle. You must pay for parking, food was bland, and when pointed out there was 1 piece of extra unknown something- appeared to be a cranberry or grape in my pasta dish, no care was taken to find out what it was or appoligize for it. There are too many better places within 1 mile radiance that have free parking, faster service, better tasting and better prices.
- Mothers Day 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Jeremy's service was outstanding and the food was awesome (crab cake eggs benedict and the shrimp and crab omlete). Thanks for making my wifes mothers day a great day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu items are unigue andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Menu items are unigue and easily changed if you are not interested in mustard greens. Great Food, cold beer and fine wine who could ask for more!Special Features:
- When we walked in we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013When we walked in we were told that they were short-handed and that there would be a wait. In less than a minute, we were seated. The service was excellent, I could not tell at all that they were short handed. The portions were huge and though my pork chops were not what I expected, the fried fish and baby back ribs that my friends had were great!Special Features:
- It was ok the price was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013It was ok the price was good but the food was sub-parSpecial Features:
- The service was the best partOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The service was the best part of our experience. Everyone was very friendly from the moment we walked through the door. Unfortunately, the food was subpar.Special Features:
- I was hoping this visit toAvidFoodieVIPDined on 2/4/2013I was hoping this visit to Blackfinn would raise my rating to 4 stars but no such luck. We had a great meal and great happy hour deals on wine. The service could have been better. I don't know if it were poor because we were in the bar area or for some other reason. We had a small party: there were 3 of us. Oh well....I may return in another year-ish.Special Features:
- Good beer selection. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Good beer selection. Food was tasteless and the presentation was poor. Also, paid $7.00 for parking after five on Friday and was just for one and one-half hours.
- It was very noisy and we hadn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2012It was very noisy and we hadn't realized it was mostly a sports bar.I am sure if you are into sports bars it would be great. We were looking for a quieter place.Special Features:
- My husband and I really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012My husband and I really enjoyed it. The mac-n-cheese was my fav! ;)Special Features:
- Everything was fantastic asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Everything was fantastic as usual! Miyanda was my server and she was amazing! The food was scrumptious and so were the cocktails.Special Features:
- Nice Ambiance, Pass on Steak NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2012This is the second time I've eaten at the BlackFinn, but was disappointed this time with the quality of the food. It was "Steak Night" so several of us had it. The meat was less than lean... Granted $12 for 16oz steak should not buy the best steak, but I'd rather the food be better and price higher, given the normal standard of the restaurant. The ambiance of BlackFinn is very nice, with attentive servers, and I returned because my previous experience was good.
- The food was excellent. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012The food was excellent. However, eait staff made us feel as if we were interrupting his day. He wasn't attentive or friendly at all. He made us all feel uncomfortable the one or two times he approached the table. We were there for approximately two hours.Special Features:
- Went for HRW on a Sunday.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2012Went for HRW on a Sunday. Although the HRW website said BlackFinn would be serving their Lunch menu they only had the Brunch menu available. Slightly disappointing. The server was a little slow (10-15 min after clearing away dessert) to bring around the check. Overall the food is good and portions are fair.
- Good food (but not as greatMsMVGVIPDined on 9/1/2012Good food (but not as great as a steakhouse). Good ambiance. There Houston Restaurant Weeks menu was 4 delicious courses!
- I normally don't endorse franchiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2012I normally don't endorse franchise or chain restaurants, but I really liked BlackFinn.Special Features:
- We ate brunch here for HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2012We ate brunch here for Houston Restaurant Weeks last year. The menu sounded delicious (and it was), but the atmosphere was lacking. We sat in a bar booth in the dark bar area. It still smelled of beer from the night before. The food was delicious and the $1 mimosas were fantastic, but the atmosphere was not ideal for brunch. There were several extremely loud groups that were seated next to us. All in all, I'd go back for dinner or drinks, but I think I'll skip having breakfast at a bar. Houston has far too many wonderful brunch spots with outdoor seating to sit in a dark bar on a nice Sunday morning.Special Features:
- 7 of us were there for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/20127 of us were there for brunch on a Sunday. While I think most others were pleased with their meals, mine (prime rib hash with two eggs) was tasteless. Presentation was unimaginative. However, their bloody marys were good.
- I went for Houston RestaurantamateurfoodieDined on 8/26/2012I went for Houston Restaurant Weeks with a group of 5. $1 mimosas on Sundays until 3 and a ton of TVs makes it a great place for football Sundays! The food was good, but not amazing. The wait staff was attentive, though a little pushy -- trying to get us to purchase a pitcher of mimosas. The mimosas were the highlight of the meal, for sure.Special Features:
- Great new place, loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2012Great new place, loved the decor. Food very good but desert was barely ok.Special Features:
- Not all it's cracked up to beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012The service was bad. The waiter friendly, but then disappeared, or was so busy taking orders from other tables he didn't fulfill the ones he had. Although we arrived early for lunch around 11:30, as they got crowded our waiter seemed unable to keep up. The kitchen also became backed up delaying our dessert by about 20 minutes after we had finished our entrees, and resulting in undercooked food. The strawberry shortcakes was all whip cream with a handful of very thin, tastless strawberries, and two wafer-thin slices of stale pound cake. The fruit cobbler was so underdone the apples were too hard to cut. The dessert experience was so bad they lost my recommendation, despite the good entree. I was quite disappointed.Special Features:
- Took 2 hours for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012Took 2 hours for dinner! Service was terrible, thought our waitress forgot about us. We sat in the bar area which was extremely loud.! Food was very good once it came.Special Features:
- Great TryLeggs4daysDined on 8/21/2012Went for Houston Restaurant week and boy was it awesome! Me and my bestfriends really enjoyed the food. It was soo yummy I'll be back.Special Features:
- We spent our anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2012We spent our anniversary dinner at BlackFinn which we really enjoyed. It took me some time to figure out what to eat unfortunately but I enjoyed the flatbread and my beau loved the pulled pork sandwich. Wish I had a chance to taste the tiramisu though -- they were out of mini desserts!
- A tale of two establishmentsREF531Dined on 8/19/2012Went for HRW. Will not go back...but it is not because of the service and food...it was just getting to the dining room. Restaurant is in Midtown and so street parking is tough to find and they have a parking garage...if you know about it. Once you find parking, if you walk by the attached sports bar you wonder if you are at a nice restaurant. Once inside you have to wait in that noisy sports bar because the Saloon a much nicer place for a before dinner drink was closed off. When you are called with a vibrating disk (classy)you are led to a very nicely decorated dining room with doors to block the noise from the sports bar. Once inside this was one of the nicest dining experiences we have had this year. Great food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Hit and MissOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2012Made reservations for Restaurant weeks menu, upon arrival they were not ready for us. We were 6 minutes early, but they seemed confused. The place was swarmiing with people and very noisy! We sat to wait and then were handed a wait button..really? A wait button for a reservation? Finally we were seated. Some of the food was very good while others parts were okay at best - way too much food! I had a herb-rubbed steak for main course-the steak was very fat and full of gristle. Not the best cut of beef! Two things worth mentioning - the BlackFinn Crab Tower starter and the Hong Kong Chilean Seabass. Both of these were really good! Overall, just okay for this one try - not sure they know what they want this place to be, likely won't go backSpecial Features:
- The food was good the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2012The food was good the restaurant was a bits loud. We had a good time and would return for another visit.Special Features:
- Went there for the secondAmandaDined on 8/12/2012Went there for the second time in a weekend! It was again just as amazing as before, and the service was just as wonderful. This has to be my new favorite restaurant in Houston!Special Features:
- We decided to try Black FinnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2012We decided to try Black Finn for a quiet Sunday Dinner. Food was decent, service was acceptable but we were the only table there for the first hour or so & sat with empty drinks, empty plates & searching for our server.Special Features: