Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar
905 Dunsmuir St
Vancouver, BC V6C 2E8Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://donnellygroup.ca/
- Phone: (604) 899-4456
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am - 1am
Friday & Saturday 4pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Gastro Pub, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Alvin Pillay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer specialty catering menus for parties of all sizes.
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment from local artists featuring original & cover songs M-F (excluding holidays)
- Special Events: For special event information visit our website www.donnellygroup.ca
A word from Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar
The newest addition to the Donnelly Group brings a new look and feel to their growing list of Public House locations. Designed by Craig Stanghetta at Ste. Marie, Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar is Open at 11am daily in the Financial District. The two-floor Venue takes the city a step further in modern pub culture, featuring fresh daily oysters, creative pizzas and daily lunch & dinner offerings created by Chef Alvin Pillay. The beverage program, co-created by beverage Director Trevor Kallies and Executive Barman Jay Jones showcases twenty-four beer lines, interesting craft cocktails and a satellite scotch bar boasting 70+ labels. Located within the venue on the ground floor is Blackbird Barbers operated by Another Fine Cut.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Noisy for business lunchjayLaDined on 9/25/2014I especially ask for a quiet table in my online reservation and I did not feel that I got listened. The music was quiet load for lunch time. Food wise - The cook need to learn how to cook fries - they were over cooked and I they were quiet small like tiny bit of fries. not enjoyable. Also, what is so hard to serve fries and salad half/half in the plate - really !!! Blackened chicken breast was also over cook. And over all the food, fries included were coldish. You got the location, please line up the food for the price you charge.
- Very overpricedDutchieDined on 9/23/2014I ordered the omelette ($13) with mushrooms (additional $6); the omelette was tasty but very small and came without bread. I thought it was incredibly overpriced. Especially charging $6 for a couple of mushrooms seems very odd to me. The menu is quite boring. I chose the restaurant because on their website it had interesting things such as a duck confit salad but it appeared that the website was not up to date and the menu had changed weeks ago. Despite the great atmosphere I would not recommend this place to others.
- great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/16/2014great for lunch, lots of options, good value and good atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Not GoodBlahBlahDined on 8/31/2014The place was empty besides one other table even though the only reservation I could make was 5:30pm or 8pm. I chose 8pm, and shouldn't have even sat down. The food wasn't very good, my pork belly was kind of mushy, and my Mom's leg of lamb looked and tasted more like a tough loin. I'm pretty sure the cocktail I had wasn't correct, but I didn't say anything because I never had it before, but later on after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that it didn't taste like the ingredients stated on the menu. When we were finished our dinners the cook proceed to empty the ice machine and it was annoyingly loud, not very respectful. Won't be going back.
- Unexpectedly niceMrsODined on 8/23/2014We did not have any expectations whatsoever going to the Blackbird, so we were pleasantly surprised by the food, service and overall atmosphere. Our waitress was very nice and prompt with our orders. Although new, she was very helpful and, when she could not answer our questions about some wine pairing she went to ask the chef directly. The four of us shared the ploughman's platter, which was more than generous for a starter, including half a dozen fresh and tasty oysters and three types of cured meats and cheeses. I had the lingcod, which was good, but apparently not as tasty as my husband's sablefish with pork belly. He is still raving about it. The chocolate gateau was also yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- medicocrevortexDined on 8/8/2014The food here is really mediocre. Great location great ambiance. BUt the menu is really uninspiring. Maybe its meant as a plaace for drinks that has some food?Special Features:
- The following 24 reviews are from the Blackbird Public House & Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Good energy, tasty food.kbpmvVIPDined on 6/27/2014Consistently good food here. We were impressed with the ploughman's platter that came with a tray of very fresh and tasty oysters. Great energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Food was not good and it was overpriced for what you got.
- DylanDixonCDined on 6/20/2014Ok food. Over priced for what it is. Pretty standard Donnelly group place.
- First DateExploringDined on 6/20/2014Food was very good - the sirloin salad might have been a little warmer but that could also have been that I was chatting so much on the first date. Would definitely give it another visit.Special Features:
- World CupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014My boyfriend and i went to the Blackbird for the England Italy game on june 14 2014. The atmosphere, sound quality and TV's were amazing, we reserved a table for 3pm (kick-off) without specifying that we were coming for the game and they put us at a table right at the front, next to the bar next to the TV. We felt like VIP's! The service was prompt and the food came within 20 minutes dispite it being packed to overflowing! Food selection was ok, quality of the food was fantastic. They also put on a mini competition to win a shirt and some goodies - great atmospjere overall. Will definately be coming back.Special Features:
- OystersWonderingViewDined on 6/13/2014Oysters! Happy hour! The bar list! The ambiance! All good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The night of Stanley Cup 2013-2014.DebbieDined on 6/13/2014So it was noisy!? Foods are ok but drinks are good. Our server was very good! I want to try upstairs next time. Good neibour of my work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Friday nightMCDinerDined on 6/6/2014We booked a table for 630p. Only 6-7 other tables. The bar upstairs was quite rowdy. Our waitress was definitely very attentive. We had oysters, foie gras for appy and i got the duck breast. Food was good but not spectacular. For the price I was paying, I expected more food. Cocktail list was fab. I had the Wimbledon and Dunsmuir G&T. Both very good and worth the price tag. Next time I'll be checking out the bar that was built in the style of The Shining. Food I'll get somewhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocre andmenutasterDined on 4/7/2014The food was mediocre and service was slow. I had the chicken and brie sandwich and had I not ordered a salad the whole meal and plate would have been white in colour. We ordered tea at the end of our meal but was told they didn't have any black tea as it "wasn't in rotation". Then when we selected green tea she told us to steep it for a couple of minutes - it was so bitter we had to return it. As a server, they should be aware of what/how to serve the items. We ordered two desserts, one which fell apart in the kitchen and they still brough it to our table - they did bring another one after but even then the presentation was uninspiring. The only upside to the meal was the lemon tart - that was very good.
- Nice but after work not lunch bestChickadeeDined on 3/26/2014The food was very good and the menu is extensive. The waitress was very helpful and went out of her way to make suggestions and answer questions. Our table was a little tight; felt we could have been put at a table for four even though there were only two of us as we were a little too close to the next table (and the restaurant wasn't full at all). This likely is more of a "happening" place for the after work crowd and the drink menu reflects the fact that this is indeed what they want. I would love to come and hear some music here after work and get a different experience. In short - good food, good service and the feel of a Pub - which really is what a Public House is! I will go back for an after work visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherTahraDined on 3/6/2014Food wasn't good, service was mediocre, menu was overpriced
- Horrible service, I made aDisappointedDined on 2/28/2014Horrible service, I made a reservation and we got seated upstairs in the bar. When you take reservations you should ask where we prefer to sit. Our table was in the back corner and was so dark we could see each other or read the menu. When we asked about the light the server offered no help. We had to use our phone as flashlights to see each other. When we went to order the waitress the bar was out of half the cocktail menu and it was only 9:00pm. My husband ordered a drink and was told they were also out if that and then we saw it being served at the bar about an hour later. Very disappointed in the service and will definitely not return or recommend it to anyone.
- Poor ServiceBlackhawksForLifeDined on 2/27/2014Waitress ask for our drinks order before we even sit down and she didn't even give us a drink menu. Waitress didn't tell us the daily special.Special Features:
- Valintine's DaySchinDined on 2/14/2014Although the menue was limited the meal was excellent I would like to return on an evening with the regular menu and not set price special meal you set up for Valintine's day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be visiting againNotImpressedDined on 1/29/2014Terrible 1st impression. Dine Out menu of $38 NOT worth it. My 'spicy chicken pie' was beyond bland & totally overpriced. I could've picked up somethingat a grocery store deli that tasted better for 1/3 of $. Server said it came with a biscuit- no biscuit on the plate. Didn't bother to ask for it as it wouldn't have helped the meal. My friend ordered steak from the Dine Out menu. While most of it was good, 1 large slice was complete gristle on the bottom to the point she couldn't even cut through it. No steak knife provided - had to ask for it...& it didn't help. Eventually had to slice it sideways to get the meat off. Was almost comical. They were out of the Scotch we ordered. The bill came & it had an extra item on it we hadn't ordered.
- BlackbirdSteveDined on 1/28/2014Very nice place. We were treated well by our server, and the place wasn't overly busy which was nice.Special Features:
- It's good for whiskeyCasualLuncherDined on 1/23/2014It has a great whiskey selection ... and that's about it. As far as the food goes, you've been to one Donnalley Group, you've been to them all. If you are a vegetarian you have the choice of 1 vegetarian appy and 1 veggie sandwich. The sandwich was on really thin bread, conveniently coated with humus and avocado and both the top and the bottom slices were stacked on top of each other as to make a huge mess when you tried to cover your sandwich and eat it. I wasn't very impressed. My meat eater companion didn't have anything to say about the beef dip. It has very interesting retro/modern decor ...Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014The entrée for dine-out was great.... the salmon was very moist and the steak was perfectly cooked. However, the risotto was very wet (the neighbouring table said the same thing) and the pear dessert was inedible. The service was great though and they have a great selection of beer, cocktails and wine. I have a feeling this place would be better to visit when it's not dine-out as I think it does have great potential.
- Donnelly Group Does It Again!mmichielaDined on 12/7/2013Everything they touch turns to gold... Have the Spiced Chicken Pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't open when I got therego2cactusclubinsteadVIPDined on 12/1/2013I booked a table through OpenTable, and drove downtown to check out the new pub. I was turned away at the door because they had a private event on, that night. I had booked the table about 20 minutes prior to arriving, so it wasn't a lead time issue.
- Terrible food and serviceb3x16Dined on 11/19/2013We were a group of 5 and decided to dine upstairs. Before heading up we confirmed that the menu was the same as downstairs. However, we only got a list of a few things to order from. We had to request the menu. The timing of the food was way off. The first 2 dishes came 5 minutes before the next 2 dishes, and finally my bowl of soup came 15 minutes later! Unreal. It wasn't even good tasting soup in the end! No real apology from the waitress. She was also inattentive, rarely filling water glasses, and then never coming with the bill. Lastly, once the band was finished the volume for the hockey game was turned on really loud which was a real mood killer. Most disappointing restaurant experience in a very long time. Definitely NOT going back.Special Features:
- I went on a Friday- It was604nicoleVIPDined on 11/16/2013I went on a Friday- It was unbearably loud. Perhaps it was the band upstairs and the after work crowd I went a week later on a Saturday- It was a lot less loud, less crowded. Noise level was perfect. Great place to go on a date or a double date.Special Features:
- A little dissapointedVanDinerDined on 10/23/2013The bar upstairs has a cool vibe, and the service was good, but the music was way too loud (struggled to hear the person sitting next to me). We then had dinner downstairs, had to ask who our server was after sitting for 10 minutes. Server was good, fun polite, but the food disappointed. The wine list is very short and there was only one Canadian Red. The appetizers (prawns and ribs) tasted great, but did not look great on the plate. I had a 10oz NY steak, which was tough and over cooked, but the sides were very tasty. Overall, I would go back for a drink at the bar, but I don't think I'd have dinner there again until I hear better reviews coming forth.Special Features:
- Fantastic for downtown lunchHainesyVIPDined on 10/15/2013Great locations where the old Keg Caesars used to be. Well decorated, high end atmosphere and reasonably priced (in line with Cactus, Joeys, etc). Food was excellent. This will be a great after work venue too as there are pool tables and the bar is outstanding. Huge whisky list, well though out taps, etc. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.