Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery
1015 9th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackbird-kitchen.com/
- Phone: 9164989224
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: T-Sa 4:00pm-6:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 6:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 6:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Carina Lampkin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Between J and K Streets
- Public Transit: Half a block from K street light rail stops.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Non metered street parking plentiful after 6PM Monday through Saturday. We offer valet service Thursday through Saturday. In walking distance from many parking garages.
A word from Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery
Modern, urban, elegant seafood restaurant in downtown Sacramento.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)late-night find (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Just a barGfood9Dined on 9/13/2014On its website, this looked like a promising restaurant. Got there. Big bar at door. Tables up uncomfortable stairs. But worst was loud, LOUD, music. Type of music is rarely a problem and was not a problem. Volume is the problem. Couldn't hear my friends and couldn't hear waiter. Best for night scene pick up place.Special Features:
- GREAT BEER SELECTION1KTravelerVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had three courses with beer pairing. The food was straightforward, yet good and satisfying. The stand out was a stone fruit salad with a mascarpone cream. The restaurant was extremely busy so service was a tad slow. The food and atmosphere were worth it though, and it was an overall nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks but service is poorVeggiefoodieDined on 9/10/2014I really enjoy Blackbird and love their extensive beer list. The food is always delicious too. Service could definitely stand to be improved as it took far too long for someone to take our order and serve us. In our party of five, one person waited over twenty minutes just to get the beer she ordered and had to ask for it twice. We weren't even sure who our server was as we had two that didn't seem to communicate with each other. I'll definitely try it again but I think I'll just sit at the bar next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ashleyp815Dined on 8/29/2014Really interesting food. Their beer list was great and very well depicted. Loved the decor and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT CUISINE WITH A CHIC VIBE1KTravelerVIPDined on 8/29/2014I asked for three courses "chef's choice" in the reservation and they were more than happy to accommodate my request. The heirloom tomato salad with creamy Burrata was delicious with shaved radish and a sherry vinaigrette. Second course was a rich and filling Penn Cove Mussels served with thin fries in a delicious broth. Finally, the crispy pork belly was done with a grilled peach and a Campari peach puree. Wine pairings were nice, although the focus at Blackbird is clearly the large variety of beers on tap. Dessert with the Smores Brownie was rich and gooey, creating a perfect ending to a very nice meal. This "2.0" version of Blackbird is still hip with some great cuisine. Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great revampOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014I hadn't been to Blackbird since their revamp earlier this year and I was very pleased with my experience! The service was great, and the food was exceptional. We ordered the burger, bbq oysters, fried chicken, and la cocina. All fantastic. Burger and oysters were my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy, Small PortionsStraightShooter7Dined on 8/20/2014- Restaurant space has character and is quite trendy - Seafood was delicious, although portions were smaller than anticipated with limited sides - Friendly service - Not too pricey (~$22 for entree)Special Features:
- menushavingsDined on 8/19/2014Limited menu aimed at small plates and oysters. Needs more items with oomphSpecial Features:
- take these broken wings...LMiller28Dined on 8/15/2014Having read the online menu I was expecting a lot more then was delivered (also, the menu online didn't have prices so i was expecting better quality, and this was a special occasion). Of the 3 entrees available, I don't eat farm-raised fish or pork belly, so that left the salmon, but it was served creamed corn & didn't sound appetizing. So we ordered the fish tacos. Ugh, a mass of fried fish (mostly batter) I couldn't eat, so they were kind enough to prepare some that wasn't fried. It was mediocre. The salad was good. The mussels though they sounded interesting as they're prepared with beer, had no flavor (perhaps they can add some fresh pressed garlic).
- Great Downtown Preconcert SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014If you are going to the the Crest Theatre for a concert or other event, the Blackbird is a wonderful place for preconcert dinner or just drinks. We started with a Pepino cocktail that was so refreshing with a perfect balance of gin to other ingredients. Was very disappointed that the Captain's chowder which was the initial draw to the restaurant was not available that night. But the servers bent over backwards to make it up... In the end we had a wonderful whole trout with baby squash (tender as butter) and a tastefully prepared eggplant puree (and I don't normally like eggplant...but I do now!). Overall, a perfect evening...service and food!Special Features:
- Really Liked It!CZuccoDined on 8/12/2014Took clients there for a casual lunch and we all enjoyed it very much. Cool art, really good food and left me wanting to go back for happy hour or dinner date. Oysters were A-mazing, had both raw and cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BizarreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014Give them a try, regardless of my one star. But, there is no way I can forgive them. The room was full with a temporary art exhibit, apparently for the Second Saturday Art walk the next evening. The paintings of twisted, contorted skeletal faces covering the walls were only slightly beyond amateur quality, so I assume the manager was trying to help out a friend. I will always regret my decision to turn around the photograph directly in front of me. The paintings were just in bad taste, but when I turned the photo around that a prior customer had hidden, as well as several others along the wall, my group of four all saw a freshly road-killed rabbit smeared on a roadway white center line. That ended our previously happy evening.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014we like craft beers....lots to choose from and knowledgeable staffI would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent servicebillDined on 8/2/2014i had booked through open table and asked for a secluded table. when we got there my wife and i had a candlelight dinner upstairs in a private room. best romantic dinner i have had in years.Special Features:
- Good choicesYummyDined on 8/1/2014Fish tacos were giant and filling, tomato salad fresh and colorsfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDLVGoodFoodDined on 7/30/2014I had dinner with a friend the other day at Blackbird but won’t be back again. The Old Blackbird restaurant had excellent food, bad service and was loud. The food was good enough to make up for the service and noise and so my friend and I had dinner there from time to time. The Re-Opened Blackbird had okay food, good service and was even louder, which was kind of amazing given that there weren't that many people in the restaurant. My impression was that it is for the under 35 crowd or those that don’t care to hear the person they are dining with.
- seafood chowdersacshrinkVIPDined on 7/19/2014Best seafood chowder I have ever had- definitely get it! Vegan burger was fabulous and appreciate which items on menu are marked as vegan. Chocolate mousse for desert also outstanding although rather pricey. Love the variety of beers and variety of sizes available. I'll definitely go back again
- DisappointedFoodluverDined on 7/19/2014Our server was disengaged-couldn't really explain menu. Service was slow altho hardly anyone there. Over salted food but good chowder and gazpacho. Wouldn't go back unless with a beer lover. That seems to be their passion.
- Atrocious ServiceA1974VIPDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I have been before and found the food and drink to be wonderful so when we had some out-of-town visitors we booked a reservation for all of us. Unfortunately, the service was atrocious and it took well over an hour just for order to be taken. Found ourselves apologizing repeatedly request.
- Great fish tacosMikeVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have been to Blackbird twice for dinner over last several months and food and service have been very very good, especially the salmon. But recently went for lunch and must say the fish tacos were the best I ever had in Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not greatsamplingDined on 7/5/2014Food is ok, really good beer selection. Server was kind of distracted, seemed to forget things. There are better restaurants in Sacramento for the $.
- Food is amazing!Mamakas66Dined on 6/5/2014I've been there two times and both times it was packed. The service started out very slow, both times, but improved after we received drinks. Bar service slow and backed up, but once initial drinks came out, everything went smoothly. Julio took good care of us:) we will be back! BTW.. Best clam chowder ever, and Salmon was to DIE for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014We were looking for a place to have dinner on open table and the Blackbird Cafe came up first. Never heard of it but we said let's give it a try. We are so glad we did. Great beer list, great food and couldn't ask for better service. The waiter was very attentive, not very busy but got the feeling he would have been that way regardless. Owner is very nice and very interested in our opinion. The Seafood chowder was to die for and the mussels as well, my husband loved the fish tacos. Would go back in a heart beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/29/2014We were off to a less than satisfactory start with the appetizers. The Hawaiian butterfish starter was tasty but served in a minuscule portion. Conversely, the Norcal tempura starter consisted of a large plate of fried carrots, squash and asparagus, with 4 calamari rings. We both had the Penn Cove mussels as entree, which turned out to be super-spicy, completely obscuring the delicate flavor of mussels. These were served with 2 large hunks of toasted bread, and a bowl of luke-warm fries. All dishes lacked balance in portions and tastes, and sophistication. In addition, the noise level was unpleasantly high.
- The following 226 reviews are from the Blackbird Kitchen + Beer Gallery reviews archive.
- yes and nogypsygalDined on 5/17/2014We had a great Groupon deal of beer tasting and appetizers. The food was super good casual bar stuff to go with the beer. Unfortunately our waitress was sleepy and they were inundated with young bar folks. The chef did his best to appease us after our food ticket was lost. We appreciated that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't WowedSactokarenVIPDined on 5/6/2014From the outside, you can never tell if the restaurant is open. From the inside, it's pretty much the same. Sure, some people sit at the bar, but there was only one (dinner) table occupied during our dinner there. The food was good; not great, but better than ok. Prices are ok. Parking is a challenge as there is nothing available on the street in front. There was nothing about our meal that would encourage us to return.Special Features:
- Clam chowder....wow!SfcorpDined on 5/3/2014Great experience - found this spot on Open Table & we were looking for a place with an interesting menu. Our server Julio was 100% invested in our 1st experience & he took us on tour of the menu. We had a few dishes already in mind, but his recommendation of the chowder was right on the mark. His beer pairings were perfect with the steak & I highly recommend the raw Hawaiian butterfish....fantastic starter dish.Special Features:
- Notable Beer List and FINE Plates!!shellydkVIPDined on 5/2/2014Chef outdoes herself on this reopening of Blackbird kitchen. Creative, thoughtful dishes, active kitchen (watch through the plate glass window on the street), fresh and local foods, and different ways to use old favorites. Lil Cochina is a pulled pork nachos with a raw tomatillo salsa, black beans, and three or four sauces, wagyu beef tartare may be the best I've ever eaten, mussels, fresh fish raw and cooked, stinging nettle pasta with fiddleneck ferns, a GREAT chowder, and you must save room for the Chef's Life dessert-- chocolate mousse with a shot of Fernet and a chocolate porter. We went because of the great beer list (more than 50) served delightfully in four sizes (why can't other pubs do this?), but we will return for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Great selections of beer on tap at the bar and a nice dining area on the second floor. Food was a nice mix between bar items and dinner itemsSpecial Features:
- Dinner for twoDinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014I had a burger that I asked to be medium rare. Although it was flavorful it was medium well. My wife's pesto linguini was flavorless and required asking the waiter for table salt. They did comp us on a desert to make up for it. The coffe we had with desert was among the strongest that I've ever had at a restaurant. That's a good thing. Ill give them another try.Special Features:
- Unique ExperienceKittyDined on 4/3/2014This place has a great vibe, tasty food, friendly staff, and provides an overall wonderful experience. The animated art is intriguing! Location is in a rough part of town, but hey that's all going to get redeveloped, right?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackbird ReDux taking flight!JamesVIPDined on 3/22/2014First time back since the closing in '13 and it turns out that the new managing partner, Ron is a friend from the way back. Not that this place needed many improvements in my opinion, but the upgrades are notable. Insane on-tap craft beer selection and the bar area, has more of a bar vibe. The Capt's Smoked Chowder has returned and is a must order. We enjoyed everything and Blackbird is back in the rotation. Go here...Drink, Eat, Enjoy, and Repeat...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackbird1Bob1Dined on 3/20/2014We are glad that you are back! The food was thoughtful and delicious. There needs to be some more work on the wine list, but the beer list is great. We found the service to be very good. The bar scene is sophisticated and lively. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great spot for craft beer!PortlandJayDined on 3/15/2014Excellent beer list with a variety of styles and lots of local choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but slow and loud.ShawnDined on 9/28/2013The food was well prepared, and the favors were interesting. The menu is a nice size with plenty of choices without being overwhelming. The service was friendly, if not a little slow. It is a little loud to hold a conversation at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice discovery!ChelleDined on 9/28/2013My girlfriends and I enjoyed the atmosphere. It is 2 stories so architecturally it was a nice first impression to walk in and see the openness of the second level. The artwork displayed was appreciated by all of us and created conversation. We were impressed by the professionalism of our server and staff. The food had a nice presentation (i.e. clear sugar "windows" rising from blue cheese adjacent fresh fig). The clam chowder that the restaurant highlighted on their website was indeed delicious. The portions were not overly generous, but we didn't leave hungry. Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood ChowderReviewerDined on 9/27/2013The seafood chowder was tasty but lacked much in the way of actual fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2013I took my wife to lunch for her birthday. Though said it in my OT res (noticed I was the only one on their screen for the day), there was no mention of her birthday by staff. I had the tomato, baby spinach and burrata salad. It was fresh and tasty. My wife had the seafood chowder, which was good but had an odd finishing note to it. She then had the lobster roll, which was rather small but good and came with a basic green salad. I had the squid ink pasta. The pasta was good and the small bits of squid were well cooked. But there was sliced garlic in the dish that was overcooked and gave the whole dish a very bitter taste. Due to these issues, we decided not to have dessert. The service was just OK, no energy. We're willing to try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yeah BoyAlisonjimmyDined on 9/25/2013First time there won't be our last. food was fantastic as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great chowderDjohnsonVIPDined on 9/13/2013The chowder is rub on your body delicious ! Small thoughtful menu with great Rae bar choices. Good wine list. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.