Black Sheep Restaurant
1534 Oak Street
Jacksonville, FL 32204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Sheep Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blacksheep5points.com/
- Phone: (904) 380-3091
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Daily 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 3:00pm, (limited menu 3pm-5pm), Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (limited menu 11pm-midnight), Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm (limited menu 3pm-5pm),
Roof top dining, bar and lounge Sunday - Thursday 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00pm (Limited menu 11-midnight)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Waylon Rivers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black Sheep Restaurant
Black Sheep is an independent restaurant located in Jacksonville"s historic 5-Points in Riverside. Our focus is on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. We offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. We offer fast-casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Black Sheep Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
Black Sheep Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)great for outdoor dining (79)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (60)hot spot (51)romantic (43)scenic view (43)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (38)great for brunch (33)notable wine list (29)late-night find (22)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Jax. Always a hit!Special Features:
- Suberb. Our server Amber was excellent!HollyVIPDined on 11/19/2014Best dining we've had in a long time. Service and atmosphere were terrific. We sampled 6 appetizers instead of a dinner meal. Great way to experience a restaurant. We'll go back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful rooftop experience & inside dining tooChipandNancyVIPDined on 11/16/2014We were there on a Sunday for an early dinner, so no crowds or high noise levels. Food was great and so different and fresh - thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food at high priceslucygirlVIPDined on 11/15/2014To start with I had made a reservation. The restaurant had many empty tables but they seated us right near the front door to the lobby so we could enjoy the cold air whenever someone came in or out. I had them move us and guess what: we got a table right next to the noisy bar! I was missing silverware but no one noticed. We ordered 2 side items for sharing with our entrees. They were dumped on the table without serving spoons, but it's ok because I was given a steak knife for my salmon! The salmon was underdone, the kale was overly salted, and the desserts were forgettable. We had 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrees, 2 sides, 2 coffees and 2 desserts for $120.00. No appetizers, no salads, no soups. Thought the price was high for the small portions. Will not return.
- Beet Salad!DowntowOtownDined on 11/14/2014Mmmm, the Beet Salad was so delicious, I could have eaten two! Fun cocktails and farm-to-table concept combine to make Black Sheep a great place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant.Eatout2muchDined on 11/11/2014I had to take one star away because they told me upon confirmation they would do something special for our anniversary (provide desert) but they did not. Otherwise. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchDuffyDined on 11/9/2014My wife and I took our 22 year old daughter to Black Sheep for her birthday. We found both the service and food to be outstanding. I had the shrimp and grits, my wife had a fried green tomato BLT, and my daughter had the Truffled Black Hog Farm Egg Toast. Of course, as when we try any new restaurant, we sampled each other's entrees. Every dish was outstanding.Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014What a nice evening for a special occasion! We celebrated our anniversary at Black Sheep with out of town friends and had one of the best meals ever there. I would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have been happier.et2swDined on 11/8/2014There isn't enough good things to say about this experience. Between the roof top lounge bar area with fire place to the indoor nicely lit dining are and the quiet outdoor patio right in the heart of five points, the environment has something for every occasion. The food was outstanding. There is something on the menu that could fit any type of palette. Guys, if you want to go all out for your lady this place will definitely impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Definitely a must for romantic dinners. Roof top scene was great along with great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday Brunch.PennyGDined on 11/2/2014The best part was food, followed closely by our waiter and the brunch cocktails. Foods we had - Short ribs, roasted mushroom & fontina omelet, pastrami hash, & something with pork belly & poached eggs, all the meals were excellent. Appetizers of fried olives with pimento cheese & fried green tomatoes. The olives were perfect, the tomatoes were okay. The cocktails were great with the Heaven's Gate receiving rave reviews from all. The coffee was excellent & locally sourced. Our waiter & all the wait staff were pleasant & attentive. Even as party of 7 on a Sunday I had an issue with being seated at the entrance with a reservation since one of our guests has anxiety attacks. I probably would have received the same seating as a walk-in.Special Features:
- Fantastic roof topOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Recommended by a coworker and I am so glad I went to Black Sheep. The roof top is awesome for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacejlnegronDined on 10/24/2014Food was great, I waitress was a bit tired, but her overall service was good.Special Features:
- Very poppingTheKentsDined on 10/24/2014Been in Jax 10 yrs wanted to go someplace new it was awesome a little pricey al a carte but all in all a great evening rooftop is a must 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak au poivreEnjoymentDined on 10/22/2014While the steak was grilled medium rare as requested, it had not been marinated to infuse the pepper flavor. Sauce served with peppercorns was not cuisine-worthy. Nine in part. All seemed to enjoySpecial Features:
- Great place with an inventive menu.beachdinersVIPDined on 10/19/2014Black sheep is a great place with an inventive menu, reasonable price inventive drinks and great service.Special Features:
- Best food in JaxOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I moved here from New Orleans and have a pretty high standard. This is by far my fav Jax restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CcburgDined on 10/17/2014Great ambience, food was good. I particularly enjoyed my French onion soup. The pork shank was a very substantial meal. I would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!AMSTDined on 10/16/2014We had a great time here! The food was delicious. It was hard to save room for dessert because everything was so good but I'm glad we made room. Go with friends so that you can try several things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dinner with ColleaguesJoeRDined on 10/7/2014Nice casual dinner with colleagues from out of town. Server was knowledgeable and attentive. Ordered apps, Pountine w/fries and Ravioli with Duck. Amazing. Ordered salmon which was very good but it was about a 3-4oz portion, and maybe 3 fingerling potatoes halved to fill the plate and some random peas. Presentation and taste was very good. Not worth the price considering the portion size. Rooftop open air atmosphere makes up for some of the portion size shortfall. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceJessicavDined on 10/1/2014We dined at Black Sheep for at least the 6th time, which is a lot considering we live in Orange Park. The food was wonderful, we ordered so many snacks & apps that we never even made it to the entrees but I am dying to try the Sunday night fried chicken for two special amongst other delicious offerings. We also had a couple different cocktails which were very good, the dusty boot is awesome if you like bourbon & black pepper & they actually make a Sazerac properly, which trust me most places don't! The best drink I have ever had here was The View From the Top, but sadly it was not on the menu this particular evening. We were too full for dessert but if you're not DO NOT miss the malted milkshakes that come with homemade "Oreos". So yummy!Special Features:
- Fabulous ExperienceJoanDined on 9/27/2014Made reservations at Black Sheep several weeks prior to the day. Was pleasantly surprised w/ a call the morning of to confirm the reservation. A group of 6 of us arrived early & headed to the roof top bar which is much more sophisticated than a "roof top bar". We were greeted immediately & taken to a table. The sky was overcast & the temperature pleasant so it was wonderful to be outside. Our waitress, Lyndsey (sp?) was very knowledgable about the food and drinks and very attentive. We enjoyed being roof top so much we decided to have our dinner there. The food was superb. We all ordered something different and none of us were disappointed. The creme brûlée is a must try!Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My husband started with the scallops (which were cooked perfectly) and pork belly which was very good (although he wished there was a little more pork belly). My fried olives stuffed with pimento cheese were yummy as always. My husband's pork chop with corn middlins and spicy hollandaise was DELICIOUS. My spare rib was delicious as well, but I'll get the pork chop next time! I got the cheese and bacon grits as a side which complemented the tender spare rib nicely. My birthday dessert was the salted caramel creme brulee which had a crunchy sugar crust over the silky custard...yum! The only disappointment was the removal of the stout my husband was looking forward to and a loud party a few tables over. The service was also great.Special Features:
- Bad SeatingKayYDined on 9/25/20143 Day in advance reservation and I was seated right next to the door, inches from where people entered the restaurantSpecial Features:
- A Neighborhood GemJaniefromJaxDined on 9/25/2014Great food, vibrant location and fun to eat inside or out! There are adults of every age and stage here . Energetically loud inside so since we were there with an elderly relative and her hearing is an issue we just ate outside and enjoyed the neighborhood folks going here and there past the patio as we dined. Menu is fairly small, but there is always something delicious on it so that doesn't really matter. Try the savory bread pudding if one is featured, it is a personal favorite and my family also loves the pimento cheese stuffed/fried olives. We aren't able to get here often, but we never pass up an opportunity to go when it arises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, greater LocaleDrFrozenDined on 9/23/2014Neither I, nor my date, was disappointed by our night at Black Sheep. We started our evening on the rooftop, which had an awesome view of nearby downtown at night, before making our way inside due to a chill in the air. The ambiance and decor was top notch with a modern, almost Manhattan, feel to the styling. My steak was cooked perfectly at a nice medium-rare and my girlfriend's dish was equally well prepared. The prices are quite high, certainly suitable to the type of place many would consider a "special occasion" dining experience for most. All in all, we walked completely satisfied with our night at the Sheep and would go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- awesome placeAwZ0919Dined on 9/22/2014My husband and I definitely enjoyed ourselves at your restaurant for our anniversary. I immediately feel in love with the place. And the food was exquisite. Thank you for a lasting first impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceAnthonyDined on 9/20/2014The short ribs were great and my wife had the shrimp and grits!! Our server was very knowledgeable and the service was great! It was a awesome birthday dinner! We will be back! Rooftop dining and bar is a must seeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTamoyaDined on 9/20/2014I went with my girlfriend on our 1 year anniversary, and it was amazing. I've never been before that occasion and I'm glad I picked the place out. Great food, Great service, Great ambiance, and was over all just amazing.Special Features:
- SUSIEDined on 9/14/2014FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING, ONE SUGGESTION MY FRIEND HAD GRILLED SNAPPER WITH CALMS IN A BOWL WITH BROTH AND NEEDED BREAD TO BE ABLE TO EAT EVERY BITE, HAD TO ASK FOR BREAD WHICH CAME AND WAS PERFECT.Special Features:
- I love this place. It's perfect.Breezysbaby1Dined on 9/14/2014I went for Brunch with my dear friend and since she doesn't get out much I advised her to dress up and wear a hat. We enjoyed the food and service we received. The rooftop is the best place to sit and enjoy your time here so we made reservations just to be on the safe side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Sheep reviewFoodisgoodDined on 9/13/2014Everything was perfect except for the hostess downstairs. She was very rude and gave me an attitude about my reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazing!TheBeanDined on 9/12/2014We will definitely be adding into our traditional no cook Friday rotation! Yum yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerDiningOutDined on 9/9/2014We arrived and were promptly seated. I ordered a BBQ Duck Sandwich and it was fantastic; the shoe string fries it came with were okay. We also got the Mac n Cheese on the side - it was delicious. We ordered two of their Vodka drinks off their menu and they were tasty - the cucumber one had a stronger carbonation to it than I expected. Food didn't take too long to come out. We ordered bread service as mentioned on the menu but it was terrible - I can't recommend that to anyone. It was too hard and difficult to chew. Otherwise it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Service - exceptionalBrainVIPDined on 9/6/2014The gentleman who served our meal up at the rooftop bar was a great addition to the experience. It started to rain and he was more Concerned about us and our Experience than he was about his tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!!romantic11111Dined on 9/6/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. For some could be considered a bit expensive, but it has great food and nice ambiance. Try the beet salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Menu!newbiefoodieDined on 9/3/2014We were out for anniversary celebration for my daughter & son-in-law and found the menu options & roof top atmosphere a great choice. Each of us ordered different entrees the crispy snapper, Black Hog chicken, steak au poivre & Lil Moo ravioli with duck confit & each one was excellent. Shared desserts of salted caramel crème brulee & rice pudding. The crème brulee was definitely the favorite. Black Sheep is now at top of our dining out list. Service was friendly and great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for drinks and appetizers2JWSVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for an early dinner on Sunday and the drinks and appetizers were so good, we'd probably go again just for that, then go elsewhere for entrees. This time we did have entrees here but we were disappointed. We both got the kale and smoked trout salad and it was 1) the smallest entree salad we've ever seen and 2) without taste. After I had finished mine, my wife added a lot of salt to hers and gave me a taste and that made a big difference, so probably being unsalted was the main taste problem. But it was a really small amount of kale for an entree salad. And that was the only entree that sounded particularly healthy for us or fit good with our diet so that's why I say we'd mainly go again for the drinks and appetizers, most likely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro PubFoodTravelerVIPDined on 8/26/2014One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville. Although the standard menu always delivers excellence, watch for the specials as they are typically superbSpecial Features:
- Sunday fried chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014A must go spot for Sunday fried chicken with rotating southern sides served family style (2 people per order)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.