Black Sheep Restaurant
1534 Oak Street
Jacksonville, FL 32204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Sheep Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blacksheep5points.com/
- Phone: 9043803091
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Daily 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 3:00pm, (limited menu 3pm-5pm), Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (limited menu 11pm-midnight), Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm (limited menu 3pm-5pm),
Roof top dining, bar and lounge Sunday - Thursday 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00pm (Limited menu 11-midnight)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Waylon Rivers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black Sheep Restaurant
Black Sheep is an independent restaurant located in Jacksonville"s historic 5-Points in Riverside. Our focus is on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. We offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. We offer fast-casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Black Sheep Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
Black Sheep Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)great for outdoor dining (78)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (63)hot spot (53)scenic view (48)vibrant bar scene (42)good for groups (40)romantic (40)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (28)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Great place with an inventive menu.beachdinersVIPDined on 10/19/2014Black sheep is a great place with an inventive menu, reasonable price inventive drinks and great service.Special Features:
- Best food in JaxOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I moved here from New Orleans and have a pretty high standard. This is by far my fav Jax restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CcburgDined on 10/17/2014Great ambience, food was good. I particularly enjoyed my French onion soup. The pork shank was a very substantial meal. I would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!AMSTDined on 10/16/2014We had a great time here! The food was delicious. It was hard to save room for dessert because everything was so good but I'm glad we made room. Go with friends so that you can try several things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dinner with ColleaguesJoeRDined on 10/7/2014Nice casual dinner with colleagues from out of town. Server was knowledgeable and attentive. Ordered apps, Pountine w/fries and Ravioli with Duck. Amazing. Ordered salmon which was very good but it was about a 3-4oz portion, and maybe 3 fingerling potatoes halved to fill the plate and some random peas. Presentation and taste was very good. Not worth the price considering the portion size. Rooftop open air atmosphere makes up for some of the portion size shortfall. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceJoanDined on 9/27/2014Made reservations at Black Sheep several weeks prior to the day. Was pleasantly surprised w/ a call the morning of to confirm the reservation. A group of 6 of us arrived early & headed to the roof top bar which is much more sophisticated than a "roof top bar". We were greeted immediately & taken to a table. The sky was overcast & the temperature pleasant so it was wonderful to be outside. Our waitress, Lyndsey (sp?) was very knowledgable about the food and drinks and very attentive. We enjoyed being roof top so much we decided to have our dinner there. The food was superb. We all ordered something different and none of us were disappointed. The creme brûlée is a must try!Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My husband started with the scallops (which were cooked perfectly) and pork belly which was very good (although he wished there was a little more pork belly). My fried olives stuffed with pimento cheese were yummy as always. My husband's pork chop with corn middlins and spicy hollandaise was DELICIOUS. My spare rib was delicious as well, but I'll get the pork chop next time! I got the cheese and bacon grits as a side which complemented the tender spare rib nicely. My birthday dessert was the salted caramel creme brulee which had a crunchy sugar crust over the silky custard...yum! The only disappointment was the removal of the stout my husband was looking forward to and a loud party a few tables over. The service was also great.Special Features:
- Bad SeatingKayYDined on 9/25/20143 Day in advance reservation and I was seated right next to the door, inches from where people entered the restaurantSpecial Features:
- A Neighborhood GemJaniefromJaxDined on 9/25/2014Great food, vibrant location and fun to eat inside or out! There are adults of every age and stage here . Energetically loud inside so since we were there with an elderly relative and her hearing is an issue we just ate outside and enjoyed the neighborhood folks going here and there past the patio as we dined. Menu is fairly small, but there is always something delicious on it so that doesn't really matter. Try the savory bread pudding if one is featured, it is a personal favorite and my family also loves the pimento cheese stuffed/fried olives. We aren't able to get here often, but we never pass up an opportunity to go when it arises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome placeAwZ0919Dined on 9/22/2014My husband and I definitely enjoyed ourselves at your restaurant for our anniversary. I immediately feel in love with the place. And the food was exquisite. Thank you for a lasting first impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceAnthonyDined on 9/20/2014The short ribs were great and my wife had the shrimp and grits!! Our server was very knowledgeable and the service was great! It was a awesome birthday dinner! We will be back! Rooftop dining and bar is a must seeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTamoyaDined on 9/20/2014I went with my girlfriend on our 1 year anniversary, and it was amazing. I've never been before that occasion and I'm glad I picked the place out. Great food, Great service, Great ambiance, and was over all just amazing.Special Features:
- SUSIEDined on 9/14/2014FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING, ONE SUGGESTION MY FRIEND HAD GRILLED SNAPPER WITH CALMS IN A BOWL WITH BROTH AND NEEDED BREAD TO BE ABLE TO EAT EVERY BITE, HAD TO ASK FOR BREAD WHICH CAME AND WAS PERFECT.Special Features:
- I love this place. It's perfect.Breezysbaby1Dined on 9/14/2014I went for Brunch with my dear friend and since she doesn't get out much I advised her to dress up and wear a hat. We enjoyed the food and service we received. The rooftop is the best place to sit and enjoy your time here so we made reservations just to be on the safe side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Sheep reviewFoodisgoodDined on 9/13/2014Everything was perfect except for the hostess downstairs. She was very rude and gave me an attitude about my reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazing!TheBeanDined on 9/12/2014We will definitely be adding into our traditional no cook Friday rotation! Yum yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerDiningOutDined on 9/9/2014We arrived and were promptly seated. I ordered a BBQ Duck Sandwich and it was fantastic; the shoe string fries it came with were okay. We also got the Mac n Cheese on the side - it was delicious. We ordered two of their Vodka drinks off their menu and they were tasty - the cucumber one had a stronger carbonation to it than I expected. Food didn't take too long to come out. We ordered bread service as mentioned on the menu but it was terrible - I can't recommend that to anyone. It was too hard and difficult to chew. Otherwise it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Service - exceptionalBrainVIPDined on 9/6/2014The gentleman who served our meal up at the rooftop bar was a great addition to the experience. It started to rain and he was more Concerned about us and our Experience than he was about his tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!!romantic11111Dined on 9/6/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. For some could be considered a bit expensive, but it has great food and nice ambiance. Try the beet salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Menu!newbiefoodieDined on 9/3/2014We were out for anniversary celebration for my daughter & son-in-law and found the menu options & roof top atmosphere a great choice. Each of us ordered different entrees the crispy snapper, Black Hog chicken, steak au poivre & Lil Moo ravioli with duck confit & each one was excellent. Shared desserts of salted caramel crème brulee & rice pudding. The crème brulee was definitely the favorite. Black Sheep is now at top of our dining out list. Service was friendly and great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for drinks and appetizers2JWSVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for an early dinner on Sunday and the drinks and appetizers were so good, we'd probably go again just for that, then go elsewhere for entrees. This time we did have entrees here but we were disappointed. We both got the kale and smoked trout salad and it was 1) the smallest entree salad we've ever seen and 2) without taste. After I had finished mine, my wife added a lot of salt to hers and gave me a taste and that made a big difference, so probably being unsalted was the main taste problem. But it was a really small amount of kale for an entree salad. And that was the only entree that sounded particularly healthy for us or fit good with our diet so that's why I say we'd mainly go again for the drinks and appetizers, most likely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro PubFoodTravelerVIPDined on 8/26/2014One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville. Although the standard menu always delivers excellence, watch for the specials as they are typically superbSpecial Features:
- Sunday fried chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014A must go spot for Sunday fried chicken with rotating southern sides served family style (2 people per order)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience.beachdinersVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was great, the service was great. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Great service and food, but seating is VERY tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divine dining experienceSBuchananDined on 8/15/2014Can't stop dreaming about the Berkshire pork chop I had the distinct pleasure of enjoying Friday night. There is nowhere in Riverside that comes close, and very few spots throughout the rest of the city that do. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my pork dream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Black sheep was an interesting find on our recent trip to Jacksonville. We found the service and food to be top notch, interesting neighborhood location.Special Features:
- The best service!StephenDined on 8/8/2014The food is great, the location is perfect. The vibe is amazing. The service is wonderful too. Our waitress Suzanne was the best!! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and elegantDesifoodieDined on 8/4/2014The food was excellent. My friend had the shrimp and grits and I did the red snapper. I was expecting a little more broth in my dish from what our server described...but the dish was good anyway. The fried olives are tasty and we did the chai creme brûlée for dessert. I had the rock and rye cocktail....and let me tell you...it packed a punch!! Kudos to the bar for not watering it down like most places do. We chose rooftop dining and it was very nice! I would definitely come back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRJThomasDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I made 6:45pm reservations for his father and his brothers' birthday dinner. Neither one having experienced Blacksheep before. We arrived at 6:45pm and were seated promptly with drinks in our hands by 6:50pm. Our service was amazing. Our glasses never empty. Our dinner came promptly as well. The food was delicious. We went upstairs, by elevator, which is very helpful for women in heals after a couple of drinks. Service outside was slower and our champagne warm, but the view and ambience makes up for any mistakes. Our only complaint was that is was too warm in the dining room. We were blotting sweat off of each others faces. And the tables are way too close together. You can hear every ones conversations. . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great trendy restaurantPrettygoodmostlyDined on 8/3/2014We were told that this is the place to go for Sunday brunch. We had heard great things about the rooftop terrace, but apparently it is not open for brunch. The service was very relaxed. Took awhile to even get water. However, THE FOOD! it was wonderful. I ordered a cocktail that had "heaven" in the name and it was heavenly! My husband enjoyed his Bloody Mary, but would have preferred that it be more traditional. Both of our entrees, Shrimp and grits, and fresh bacon and eggs were marvelous. The food is really what makes this restaurant. Other than that, I would not need to go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The food and service at Black Sheep was wonderful. The fried pimento cheese stuffed green olives were delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner DateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Black Sheep was an excellent choice for our dinner date. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable, and the food was absolutely amazing. Only downside was that the roof is not prepared for a rain storm. If you want to dine atop the restaurant and enjoy the view make sure you bring an umbrellaSpecial Features:
- Happy Hour and Dinner and DrinksjaxdominoDined on 7/30/2014This was my third time eating at Black Sheep. 1st time was a disappointment because of high expectations from when it was Downtown and called Chew. The 2nd time, I tried something different and the food was great! A bunch of us from work went for Happy Hour on the rooftop and then dinner downstairs and then back up for drinks after. The rooftop and was HOT at 5 PM and the concrete bar top DOES NOT help! It was still fun. Dinner LOOKED amazing. But everyone's dish was over salted. Which was sad. My Red Snapper was not cooked all the way through, which was a huge disappointment. The service was great. But food is why you go to this place.Special Features:
- Great brunch!HungryJoDined on 7/27/2014Menu looked so good that the 2 of us had a fried green tomato appetizer and 3 brunch entrees. Loved the Pork belly and eggs. Hands down my favorite. Only downfall was from the server. Though she was nice enough she was not very attentive and it wasn't very busy. Will return soon for dinner. And of course the roof bar when it cools down a bit. What a great feature!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatLive2sailDined on 7/27/2014I really enjoyed my first experience at Black Sheep. A variety of ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Best burger in town! We also loved the crème brulé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Local GemIcePrincessVIPDined on 7/20/2014I was visiting Jacksonville from Nashville. My son attends college in the area. Open table is always such a good resource for places to try when visiting new cities that you aren't familiar with. I discovered Black Sheep on Open Table. Sooooo glad that I did!!! It became my new favorite restaurant when visiting. Everything is so fresh, with such an eye toward local resources and sustainable eating. I loved it so much that I was only visiting for 4 days, but after my first encounter with Black Sheep I just had to go back. Out of Four days visiting, I ate here 3 times! Wish there was one near me is Nashville. A true gem! I will definitely be back on my next trip.Special Features:
- Love This PlaceIcePrincessVIPDined on 7/19/2014This place is so delicious! It is one of my favorite foodie spots. I treated a group of several friends of my sons to brunch here. We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing SundayyayaVIPDined on 7/13/2014I met a friend on a Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed a refreshing cocktail and a wonderful southern fried chicken dinner. And of course it came with all the excellent sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.