Black Sheep Restaurant
1534 Oak Street
Jacksonville, FL 32204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Sheep Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blacksheep5points.com/
- Phone: 9043803091
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Daily 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 3:00pm, (limited menu 3pm-5pm), Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (limited menu 11pm-midnight), Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm (limited menu 3pm-5pm),
Roof top dining, bar and lounge Sunday - Thursday 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00pm (Limited menu 11-midnight)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Waylon Rivers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black Sheep Restaurant
Black Sheep is an independent restaurant located in Jacksonville"s historic 5-Points in Riverside. Our focus is on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. We offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. We offer fast-casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Black Sheep Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Jacksonville ›
Black Sheep Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)great for outdoor dining (84)neighborhood gem (83)special occasion (66)hot spot (50)vibrant bar scene (49)scenic view (49)good for groups (43)great for brunch (40)romantic (40)great for lunch (37)notable wine list (28)late-night find (24)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- SUSIEDined on 9/14/2014FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING, ONE SUGGESTION MY FRIEND HAD GRILLED SNAPPER WITH CALMS IN A BOWL WITH BROTH AND NEEDED BREAD TO BE ABLE TO EAT EVERY BITE, HAD TO ASK FOR BREAD WHICH CAME AND WAS PERFECT.Special Features:
- I love this place. It's perfect.Breezysbaby1Dined on 9/14/2014I went for Brunch with my dear friend and since she doesn't get out much I advised her to dress up and wear a hat. We enjoyed the food and service we received. The rooftop is the best place to sit and enjoy your time here so we made reservations just to be on the safe side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Sheep reviewFoodisgoodDined on 9/13/2014Everything was perfect except for the hostess downstairs. She was very rude and gave me an attitude about my reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was amazing!TheBeanDined on 9/12/2014We will definitely be adding into our traditional no cook Friday rotation! Yum yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerDiningOutDined on 9/9/2014We arrived and were promptly seated. I ordered a BBQ Duck Sandwich and it was fantastic; the shoe string fries it came with were okay. We also got the Mac n Cheese on the side - it was delicious. We ordered two of their Vodka drinks off their menu and they were tasty - the cucumber one had a stronger carbonation to it than I expected. Food didn't take too long to come out. We ordered bread service as mentioned on the menu but it was terrible - I can't recommend that to anyone. It was too hard and difficult to chew. Otherwise it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Service - exceptionalBrainVIPDined on 9/6/2014The gentleman who served our meal up at the rooftop bar was a great addition to the experience. It started to rain and he was more Concerned about us and our Experience than he was about his tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!!romantic11111Dined on 9/6/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant. For some could be considered a bit expensive, but it has great food and nice ambiance. Try the beet salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Menu!newbiefoodieDined on 9/3/2014We were out for anniversary celebration for my daughter & son-in-law and found the menu options & roof top atmosphere a great choice. Each of us ordered different entrees the crispy snapper, Black Hog chicken, steak au poivre & Lil Moo ravioli with duck confit & each one was excellent. Shared desserts of salted caramel crème brulee & rice pudding. The crème brulee was definitely the favorite. Black Sheep is now at top of our dining out list. Service was friendly and great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for drinks and appetizers2JWSVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for an early dinner on Sunday and the drinks and appetizers were so good, we'd probably go again just for that, then go elsewhere for entrees. This time we did have entrees here but we were disappointed. We both got the kale and smoked trout salad and it was 1) the smallest entree salad we've ever seen and 2) without taste. After I had finished mine, my wife added a lot of salt to hers and gave me a taste and that made a big difference, so probably being unsalted was the main taste problem. But it was a really small amount of kale for an entree salad. And that was the only entree that sounded particularly healthy for us or fit good with our diet so that's why I say we'd mainly go again for the drinks and appetizers, most likely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro PubFoodTravelerVIPDined on 8/26/2014One of the best restaurants in Jacksonville. Although the standard menu always delivers excellence, watch for the specials as they are typically superbSpecial Features:
- Sunday fried chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014A must go spot for Sunday fried chicken with rotating southern sides served family style (2 people per order)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience.beachdinersVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was great, the service was great. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Great service and food, but seating is VERY tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divine dining experienceSBuchananDined on 8/15/2014Can't stop dreaming about the Berkshire pork chop I had the distinct pleasure of enjoying Friday night. There is nowhere in Riverside that comes close, and very few spots throughout the rest of the city that do. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my pork dream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Black sheep was an interesting find on our recent trip to Jacksonville. We found the service and food to be top notch, interesting neighborhood location.Special Features:
- The best service!StephenDined on 8/8/2014The food is great, the location is perfect. The vibe is amazing. The service is wonderful too. Our waitress Suzanne was the best!! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and elegantDesifoodieDined on 8/4/2014The food was excellent. My friend had the shrimp and grits and I did the red snapper. I was expecting a little more broth in my dish from what our server described...but the dish was good anyway. The fried olives are tasty and we did the chai creme brûlée for dessert. I had the rock and rye cocktail....and let me tell you...it packed a punch!! Kudos to the bar for not watering it down like most places do. We chose rooftop dining and it was very nice! I would definitely come back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRJThomasDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I made 6:45pm reservations for his father and his brothers' birthday dinner. Neither one having experienced Blacksheep before. We arrived at 6:45pm and were seated promptly with drinks in our hands by 6:50pm. Our service was amazing. Our glasses never empty. Our dinner came promptly as well. The food was delicious. We went upstairs, by elevator, which is very helpful for women in heals after a couple of drinks. Service outside was slower and our champagne warm, but the view and ambience makes up for any mistakes. Our only complaint was that is was too warm in the dining room. We were blotting sweat off of each others faces. And the tables are way too close together. You can hear every ones conversations. . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great trendy restaurantPrettygoodmostlyDined on 8/3/2014We were told that this is the place to go for Sunday brunch. We had heard great things about the rooftop terrace, but apparently it is not open for brunch. The service was very relaxed. Took awhile to even get water. However, THE FOOD! it was wonderful. I ordered a cocktail that had "heaven" in the name and it was heavenly! My husband enjoyed his Bloody Mary, but would have preferred that it be more traditional. Both of our entrees, Shrimp and grits, and fresh bacon and eggs were marvelous. The food is really what makes this restaurant. Other than that, I would not need to go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The food and service at Black Sheep was wonderful. The fried pimento cheese stuffed green olives were delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner DateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Black Sheep was an excellent choice for our dinner date. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable, and the food was absolutely amazing. Only downside was that the roof is not prepared for a rain storm. If you want to dine atop the restaurant and enjoy the view make sure you bring an umbrellaSpecial Features:
- Happy Hour and Dinner and DrinksjaxdominoDined on 7/30/2014This was my third time eating at Black Sheep. 1st time was a disappointment because of high expectations from when it was Downtown and called Chew. The 2nd time, I tried something different and the food was great! A bunch of us from work went for Happy Hour on the rooftop and then dinner downstairs and then back up for drinks after. The rooftop and was HOT at 5 PM and the concrete bar top DOES NOT help! It was still fun. Dinner LOOKED amazing. But everyone's dish was over salted. Which was sad. My Red Snapper was not cooked all the way through, which was a huge disappointment. The service was great. But food is why you go to this place.Special Features:
- Great brunch!HungryJoDined on 7/27/2014Menu looked so good that the 2 of us had a fried green tomato appetizer and 3 brunch entrees. Loved the Pork belly and eggs. Hands down my favorite. Only downfall was from the server. Though she was nice enough she was not very attentive and it wasn't very busy. Will return soon for dinner. And of course the roof bar when it cools down a bit. What a great feature!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatLive2sailDined on 7/27/2014I really enjoyed my first experience at Black Sheep. A variety of ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Best burger in town! We also loved the crème brulé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing SundayyayaVIPDined on 7/13/2014I met a friend on a Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed a refreshing cocktail and a wonderful southern fried chicken dinner. And of course it came with all the excellent sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!MichaelD53VIPDined on 7/12/2014Simply a great restaurant. Food was amazing and I highly recommend the shrimp and grits. My Lady is a Vegan and loved the herb marinated tempeh. It is a neighborhood gem in the Riverside area. We will return!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentluv2brunchDined on 7/12/2014I've been twice, both times for brunch. Good food, great service, innovative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but crowded and louddinneratblacksheepDined on 7/11/2014I took my wife there for our 16th anniversary dinner because it was listed as one of Jacksonville's top 10 romantic restaurants. To be fair, it was pouring rain outside so maybe that made them have to crowd people inside. During our dinner we were laughing about the fact we were getting old (we are both 40) because it was too noisy for us. The food was good, but the portions are a bit small and a tad too pricey for what you get in my opinion. We were not able to enjoy the upstairs outside area due to the rain. They were kind enough to give us dessert on the house because it was our anniversarySpecial Features:
- Brunch and lunch- yes Dinner-NohungryhippoDined on 7/11/2014I have eaten brunch and lunch at Black Sheep several times, and the food was excellent. My wife and I decided to try dinner at Black Sheep. Unfortunately, it was not very good. The mussels were terrible. My entrée, the snapper, was actually pretty good. My wife got the short rib, and it was very mushy. Perhaps we caught them on a bad night. However, I think we will be sticking with brunch and lunch at this particular restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowsersmjdarbyDined on 7/10/2014Mom has been pestering me for about 18 months to take her here. So I painlessly made a reservation and was treated to a very enjoyable evening. I had a party of 5 - one being 10 and another 14. They were delighted that there was a "normal" kids menu with items like burgers, chicken fingers and pasta on them. The rest of us were just as excited about the menu from the beet salad, to the fried green olives, to the red snapper and pork chop and pig ears. My mother had fried green tomatoes and she was a step closer to heaven. My 14 year old even ginned up the courage to ask for a bite and he enjoyed it. I fell out of my chair. My steak was cooked perfectly and my niece raved about the red snapper. Service was impeccable. Birthday cake was yum.Special Features:
- GreatTaylorJamisonDined on 7/6/2014The food was great, coming from Louisiana we had a hard time finding decent food in the area. This spot has great service and wonderful drinks. Must goSpecial Features:
- Great tasting foodMLSMDDined on 7/6/2014Went to Black Sheep after searching on Trip Advisor for a place in Riverside Jax. Place was neatly done, not fancy. Service were quick. Got the fried olives and a smoked trout appetizer. Olives were a bit salty but enjoyable. Trout was good. Ordered the mussels which had a great beer based broth. We tried a chicken dish, crispy red snapper and a fish of the day (forgot type). Everything was really tasty! Chef mixed flavored well. Overall, thought it was an outstanding flavorful meal. Good craft beer selection as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacemsgusaDined on 7/6/2014Nice ambiance. The beets salad is delicious. Grits are very tasty and creamy. But the pancakes were very dry. I like soft and fluffy pancakes. Brandon was our server and he's great.Special Features:
- Just what we were looking for!Ajs2929Dined on 7/5/2014Visiting from out of town.... The city was dead, but this place was not! The food was very yummy & the service was fast & friendly!!! We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot get enoughPineapplellaDined on 7/4/2014Whenever we have a friend visit from out of town, Black Sheep is our go to place to take them. The service is always amazing and food is even better. In fact, I am craving the savory blue cheese bread pudding, soup and shrimp n' grits right now. We have only had one not so great service experience that made us not want to go back for a while but could not stay away too long. We just told ourselves that the server must have had a rough night because she came back at one point smelling like cigarettes; we also told ourselves if we were ever placed at her table again, we would tell her to tighten up or just not sit at her table. Anyway, we went for the 4th and had the best time, best service and food/drinks. If you have not been, go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cocktails + Farm to ForkRootsEateryDined on 7/3/2014I had the Cane & Basil and it rocked as all their cocktails do. The Local Tile Fish special was crazy good. We always enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulWonderfulDined on 7/2/2014Great food and great service! Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticKappyDined on 6/30/2014Always a great meal and service, I would recommend and do recommend to anyone...Special Features:
- Delicious and funsoutherngalVIPDined on 6/28/2014I had dinner w/ 6 of my girlfriends and our food was outstanding. We started with mussels and fried olives. (you need to get extra bread to soak up the sauce of the mussels; devine!) Our entrees ranged from the lil moo ravioli to chicken to fish. Apparently the short ribs were the best but we all thought our invidual dishes were incredible. Camille was our server and she was top notch. We ordered a bottle of pinot grigio, only to discover it was really tart. She immediatley made another suggestion we all enjoyed enormously. (We asked her to taste the wine and she agreed, it was simply a bad bottle.) Dessert was a mixture of the cheesecake (totally worth the calories) to milkshakes (skip, nothing special.) Would absolutely recommend.Special Features: