Black Sheep Cafe
19 N University Ave
Provo, UT 84601Neighborhood:
Native AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Sheep Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://blacksheepmenu.com/
- Phone: 8016072485
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Native American
- Executive Chef: Mark Daniel Mason
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black Sheep Cafe
Family owned and operated, Black Sheep Cafe brings you the best in Contemporary Southwestern Native American Cuisine. Chef Mark Daniel Mason blends modern technique with traditional Navajo, Pueblo and Hopi influence in his award winning dishes. Using local ingredients like Utah honey and Idaho-raised, hormone-free meats, as well as traditionally grown and prepared blue cornmeal and flour, all of the dishes are made to order and made from scratch, including the fresh family-recipe frybread using Blue Bird flour. From the modern touches on traditional dishes like Navajo Tacos and Green Chile Stew, to the new and unique flavors of the Cactus Pear Lemonade and Orange-Habanero Creme Brulee, Black Sheep Cafe will impress you with bold flavors and intriguing presentation. Located in the heart of Historic Downtown Provo, this bustling cafe is open Monday through Saturday. The cafe’s lunch menu is served from 11:30am - 4pm and dinner from 5pm to close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black Sheep Cafe - Best Restaurants in Provo ›
Black Sheep Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Best in Provo!CaptainFoodieDined on 3/25/2014Service can be slow at times but the food is always worth the wait. Make sure that you are not in a hurry and you will be in for a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!k21hybDined on 3/21/2014My husband and I had been trying to get a reservation at this new Provo restaurant for a few weeks, and when we finally went, it was very worth the wait. I got the red chili beef navajo tacos, and they were amazing. The food was incredible, and the service was great. I definitely recommend this place if you're in Provo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueDar4AvonDined on 3/14/2014I like this restaurant because it is unique! It fun to take a friend there because it's going to be a memorable experience. I did make reservations and I'm so glad I did, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get in! It would be nice if they could have tables open for reservations and some available to those who reserve and if they don't show within ten minutes then they loose the opportunity to dine there . This way the restaurant may give it to those who just come in to try it and not loose patrons because of no shows!Special Features:
- Incredible food; a bit pricy.CollegeStudent2015Dined on 3/12/2014I have rarely had food that was so well-made or carefully prepared. You have to be willing to fork out a little dough to get it, but the Southwest flavors are perfect, the Mexican feel is just enough to get your taste buds tingling, and the overall feel of the restaurant is quite nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey, but worth itPhoebeDined on 3/8/2014Staff were all very friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the menu. It's a little pricey, but you do get a lot of food and it is delicious. We both took home plenty of leftovers to enjoy for a second night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014Having dined here twice - once for lunch and once for dinner - my conclusion about Black Sheep Café is that the food is decent but expect to wait a long time for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to high expectationsWishesUTDined on 3/1/2014My brother raved about The Black Sheep and so my husband and I made a reservation knowing we were going in with high expectations.We were seated promptly, having arrived a few minutes early for our 7:30 reservation time. We ordered a rock shrimp polenta appetizer that was the perfect combination of savory, sweet and spicy. We tried the sweet potatoe fries and enjoyed them, but next time we'll probably try something else. For our entrees, we ordered the Hog Jowl Tacos which were excellent. We'd order these again in a heartbeat. We also tried the fillet mignon served with a cherry reduction. It was a great choice, but what really stood out on the plate were the amazing mashed potatoes that blew us away. We'll be back!Special Features:
- does kokapelli really eat like thissheepherderDined on 2/28/2014we were expecting the Kachinas of potato, corn, and, iced tea to appear and offer up the best authentic sheep or lamb dish ever imagined. Instead we ended up with a Skinwalker who shape-shifted into a strange pencil neck waiter with odd glasses and a ridiculously stupid mustache. I was hoping for some jazzed up traditional dishes instead the dinner menu contains overpriced burgers and pork tacos. Why are all of the reviews of this restaurant so glowing? The flooring is made of the same 4x8 sheets of osb that one would expect to see on the floor of a chicken coop. The prices are high enough to support serving meats out of 1000 year old native american clay artifacts. Instead they have the same old white plates as any restaurant. Yawn.
- Good food, good funEmilyDined on 2/28/2014The wait staff was excellent. The menu was based on what was local and fresh, and also on what the chef wanted to do that day, which I thought was very fun. We loved everything we ate, so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was first vist to the bkackMarzDined on 2/26/2014It was first vist to the bkack sheep. The arrangement felt very intimate, it was nice but a tad too noisy for me. I would have enjoyed more air in the room, perhaps an overhead fan. It felt kinda stuffy. Otherwise, our waiter was great and fast. The food was excellent and very tasty. Overall, i had a great experience. I would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantJsprague56VIPDined on 2/24/2014I enjoyed the eclectic native american theme to the food, and everything was prepared to perfection. The wine list is small but carefully selected and matched to the food choices.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodanonymousDined on 2/24/2014What a great experience! Recommended by the Hampton Inn as we were 3 business travelers from CA, OR and TN. We were all so impressed with the food, ambiance, presentation, etc. We'd travel to Provo again just to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food in Provo? YES!katecooksfoodDined on 2/18/2014Provo isn't exactly known for its dining scene, but if this place has anything to say about it, Provo could be a new foodie hotspot. The menu is small, but mouth watering and innovative. Hog Jowl tacos are a must have. We even got a good prickly pear margarita, though the server wasn't quite up to date on tequila facts... I hear it's a great place for lunch too, so in short: EAT HERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hog jowl tacosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014One of the best things I have ever eaten. They definitely perfected this dish, and it's a real treat for anybody that orders it.Special Features:
- Lunch DelightCaptainFoodieDined on 2/8/2014Took some family members to lunch for their first Black Sheep experience and they loved the flavorful and unique burgers especially the Blue and Goat Cheese burgers. They also loved the true sweet potatoe fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrendous serviceLeah0066Dined on 2/6/2014I've eaten at Black Sheep three times now, and I like the food, but the service was so poor on Thursday night, I doubt I could ever convince my husband to go back. We waited an hour and twenty minutes just to get our salads, then they came out ten minutes apart and we had to remind the server three times to bring the last salad. Our entrees were also extremely slow, and again the pasta special arrived way after the other meals. The server was totally non-apologetic and could care less - to add insult to injury she added a mandatory 20% tip. That's what I would give for superior service, it is ridiculous to add it on automatically especially when it was completely undeserved.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/6/2014I love this unique and tasty food. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black SheepOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2014I've eaten at Black Sheep twice and it was excellent both times. Had one of the most tender filets ever in a cherry reduction. The previous visit I had the Hog Jowl Tacos. Don't let the name fool you. They are exceptional. Beer and wine list is limited. Definitely give it a shot if you're in the Provo area.Special Features:
- Amazing food, reasonable pricesorroDined on 2/1/2014I've been to Black Sheep Cafe a handful of times now, and each time I go I'm reminded why it's at the forefront of the Provo dining scene. Our party tried a variety of dishes - Navajo tacos, enchiladas, green chile stew, bruschetta, and more. Each member of our group commented multiple times about how incredible the food was. What surprised me even more was when I went to get the bill. Ours was extremely reasonable considering the quality of the food and the generous portions we received. I will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!WldfowrDined on 1/31/2014When we got there we did have a reservation and before we were seated we asked for a table away from the door. The had no problem accommodating us. Our server was great and could explain in detail each dish and drink. This is a fun place with a lot of talking, so don't go there if you are looking for a quiet romantic place. However, if you are there to have a good time and laugh with friends, this is the place. The food was outstanding and the flavor was great. Definitely will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.CaptainFoodieDined on 1/28/2014Amazing food that is fresh, flavorful, colorful and unique. Black Sheep delivers every time. The hamburgers, especially, the Blue Burger are unmatched. Their food takes time to prepare so build in some extra time but it is worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best enchiladas I've ever had!MBBEDined on 1/25/2014Loved, loved The Black Sheep! I went with some friends the other night after hearing some good reviews and was not disappointed. The beef enchiladas were outstanding. Service was fantastic. Ambience was great. A great restaurant for 2-6 people max. I gave it only 4 stars on ambience because our table was the closest to the entrance and every time somebody opened the door a shot of January night air came in. Besides that, we had a fantastic experience. I will go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!DOSODined on 1/24/2014We had some of the best meals at the Black Sheep Cafe since moving to Provo. Highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting, Waiting, WaitingedennoelDined on 1/24/2014This was my second experience at the restaurant. The server was personable, the food was good & the ambience was nice but we waited forever for our food. Our first visit we had gone for lunch at 1:30pm and the restaurant was crowded. We waited about 30 minutes for our food. This time we were part of the dinner crowd but we had a 5:15p reservation. There was only one other table occupied in the restaurant when we arrived. This time we waited almost an hour for our food. The wait seemed interminable. The fact that we were there so early and our wait was so long made me wonder if there was a major hiccup in the kitchen. I liked the food, and the service was excellent but the length of the wait make me hesitate to put this on my favorite list.Special Features:
- Did not disappointKatzenjammerDined on 1/18/2014We were saying happy birthday and bon voyage to our grand nephew and his wife and this place was perfect in every way. The relaxed pace of the service, the absolutely delicious food, and the casual but charming room were exactly what we wanted for this special occasion.Special Features:
- Yummy lunchedennoelDined on 1/18/2014I had the goat burger and the sweet potato fries. My sister had the enchilada bowl. Both were delicious. We were there on a Saturday for lunch and had been preceded by two large groups so our server warned us that the wait was going to be a while and it was. Fortunately, we had a lot to chat about so it was fine for us to have a long, luxurious lunch. The food was very good. The goat burger was incredible--very tender, very juicy. I am also gluten free so I had it lettuce wrapped and it was great. The sweet potato fries were gluten free as well which is unusual. So, they were accommodating for food sensitivities and that was very appreciated.Special Features:
- Unique and fabulous!RobinjDined on 1/18/2014The menu selection was unique - all our questions were answered and we had a hard time choosing since everything sounded wonderful. Everything was well prepared with wonderful flavors and combinations. Great for foodies like me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave away reservation !DinerVIPDined on 1/11/2014My daughter was going on a date for a dance to Black Sheep and showed up 8 minutes late for her reservation. They had given their reservation to someone else! No calling, no waiting... Nothing. I had tried to call the restaurant to let them know they would be a few minutes late and all I got each time was a recording. Then they told them they could try some different "lesser" restaurant. My daughter stuck to her guns and said they would wait and please try to get them in quickly. They did try to get them in Nd food was good. NOT happy with reservation debacle!.
- good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/10/2014side items remain the best (fry bread, etc)....stick to this place for lunch the menu is betterSpecial Features:
- SLOWNewbieDined on 1/9/2014We had reservations so when we arrived we were able to be seated immediately. However, it took over 10 minutes for the waitress to acknowledge us. Once she took our drink order we waited another 8-10 minutes just for our sodas and water to arrive. Then there was the appetizers which arrived nearly 30 minutes after that. Delicious but beware... very small portions (fancy but small). Nearly 45 minutes after the appetizers, our food arrived. Wonderful food and flavor but plan on a 2 1/2 dinner (even if the restaurant isn't full).Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2013I've been to this place several times and it is always fantastic. I always get fantastic service as well as amazing foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in ProvoChicagoVisitorsDined on 11/26/2013Rare find in an area with few real restaurants. Open kitchen, all fresh ingredients, great cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairUnimpressedDined on 11/12/2013The wait for our meal was. Embarrassingly long. The food when it finally arrived was very mediocre.
- Date NightGrasshopperDined on 11/9/2013Service was outstanding. Reservations are a must. Did not feel rushed. Small and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot in downtown ProvoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013This restaurant has always been a gem, but they have changed things to be a bit more upscale now. The atmosphere was great and the food was excellent!Special Features:
- Specialized flavors, limited menu.CommonerDined on 11/8/2013Black Sheep café won me over with its unique style and flavors. I remember digging into some Hog Jowl Tacos during the summer; pig neck could never be so tasty. My most recent excursion was a bit disappointing for one reason only: they no longer serve the Goat Burger during dinner hours. I can't remember ever having a beef patty in such a divine way as my first Goat Burger (the goat in the name is not the meat source). When I visited this restaurant most recently for the sole purpose of getting Goat Burgers. Our waiter broke the bad news to me about the service change, and my soul grieved; I would have no Goat Burger that night. Perhaps this tale of woe will persuade this fine establishment to share this goodness at all hours, once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual and FamiliarKikiDined on 11/8/2013Black Sheep offers an interesting mix of options: from the familiar Navajo "fry bread," improved, to the squash soup or roast salmon. The flavors really shine, though, in the sauces and the tacos. I would welcome more vegetarian and fish options, though, because those were very limited. We had reservations on a Saturday night and the food was exceptionally slow in arriving; in addition, it was served out of order, with a side dish brought out before appetizers or main dishes. Still, the staff was helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the Food?NY4MEDined on 11/7/2013Had heard good things about this place, so made reservation for a Friday evening. Seated immediately. Probably 2/3 full. A bit noisy, but could still hear each other. Waiter was knowledgeable about menu, but warned that a couple of things were no longer available. Ordered, but then waited and waited, about 50 minutes for food to come. No explanation, just a "sorry it's taken so long, will be ready in a couple of minutes." After which it took another 10- 15 minutes. The place was not crowded; no idea why the service was so slow. Food was decent, not remarkable. Will not likely return.
- Culinary Gem in ProvosorroDined on 10/26/2013Black Sheep Cafe is one of the new wave of local restaurants that has repopulated downtown Provo, and it is one of the best. They've got a combination Native American/Mexican cuisine, and it is just fabulous. We had the chimichanga, the green chili stew, and the prickly pear lemonade and were extremely satisfied. We had a side of asparagus as well, and it was as good as anything I've ever had in New York or any other foodie hotspots. They do their food right, and it is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As great as advertised!!RickDined on 10/25/2013It was cool!! The food was exactly as the menu said it would be. I was kind of disappointed in the respect of the menu. It was very understated!! The food was very well explained on the menu and when it arrived at the table it was better looking, not really as important to me as taste, than it was described. No bad things here!! The food was amazing, the portions were perfect and Daniel was kind of put on the spot when my GF asked him to surprise us with dessert and he didn't even blink!! :) Daniel was on the spot with everything. He made a great choice and we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.