Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar
2126 S.W. Halsey St.
Troutdale, OR 97060Neighborhood:
Gresham / Troutdale
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mcmenamins.com/131-black-rabbit-restaur
- Phone: 5034923086x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast:Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:30am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kenny Giambalvo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Thinking about your next meeting or event? Well, definitely consider us!
There is no additional room fee once you reach the food and beverage minimum. We utilize our onsite catering, and the food and beverage minimum includes wait staff, indoor tables and chairs, china, glassware and linens.
- Private Party Contact: Chelsea Frankum 8779299071
- Entertainment: The Edgefield Winery Tasting Room offers free, live music by candlelight several nights a week and is located just a few steps away from the Black Rabbit. Check mcmenamins.com for the schedule.
- Cross Street: 244th Ave
- Public Transit: -From downtown Portland, take MAX light rail east to the 82nd Ave. Transit Station; transfer to Tri-Met Bus #77 (Halsey Street) east to Edgefield’s main entrance.
-From Gresham Central MAX Station; transfer to Tri-Met Bus #12 (Sandy Blvd.) to 223rd and Halsey; transfer to Tri-Met Bus #77 (Halsey Street) east to Edgefield’s main entrance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have several parking lots on our property and offer free parking to all patrons. Please be advised that we do have summer concerts that may limit parking. No camping, RVs or camping trailers.
A word from Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar
Located in Edgefield's main lodge, the Black Rabbit is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fantastic murals tracing the history of Edgefield and the Columbia River Gorge line the walls and intimate booths encourage you to linger over a fine meal. Guests can choose from an innovative menu of Northwest cuisine and traditional favorites, as well as an expansive list of regional and international wines.Continued
The kitchen uses seasonal ingredients from Edgefield's own gardens, grown using organic methods.
The kitchen uses seasonal ingredients from Edgefield's own gardens, grown using organic methods.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Gresham / Troutdale ›
Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (19)great for brunch (18)romantic (18)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Would recommend an early start to enjoy the grounds before going to dinner at Black Rabbit. Was a delightful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy and homeyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014A down home atmosphere with a classic touch. Perfect for all ages with a heavenly feast and gracious and attentive staff. A must for any time or occasion. Try the green bean salad for a unique blend of tastes and flavors.Special Features:
- Oct 17OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Delightful romantic ambiance combined with wonderful lunch menu items. My guest enjoyed the omelet while I enjoyed the curry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be wary of gift cardsJiffenDined on 10/14/2014We attempted to use a Mcmenamins gift card given to us by a friend. The restaurant refused the card, saying it was not activated. If someone pays for a gift card, how much more activated can it be? We then paid for the meal by credit card, but thought better of the idea before we left and asked to see the manager. The manager relented and agreed to reverse the charges on my credit card, and debit the gift card as they should have done in the first place. All in all the tension of this debacle spoiled and otherwise nice evening.Special Features:
- AwesomeGrovvyDined on 10/6/2014Spectacular Food and Service. You'll be back. Make it even better and book a package deal. SteveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious local fareTiffytotVIPDined on 10/5/2014Great seasonal, local ingredients and a fair price tag to match. Mushroom flan was great and the dessert sampler featuring the triple chocolate cheesecake, bread pudding and salted caramel pot de creme with candied bacon (outstanding btw) were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, cold foodpdxgirlDined on 10/1/2014We went to Black Rabbit to celebrate our 4th anniversary and were sadly disappointed. We met at a McMenamins & always celebrate our anniversary at a different location every year. We made reservations at Black Rabbit ahead of time and were seated promptly upon arrival, but it took the waiter 15 minutes to even acknowledge us & take our drink order. It was another 15 minutes before he returned with our wine & took our food order which then took another 35 minutes to arrive. We both ordered the braised chicken with garlic mashed potatoes; the chicken was cold & gummy & the mashed potatoes were hard as a rock & tasted like cafeteria boxed potatoes. This was mid week, so the place was not packed, just poorly staffed. Time to up your game.Special Features:
- I've been many times.dateforbrunchDined on 9/28/2014I love the setting and the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Pleases!KmartDined on 9/26/2014I met some friends from out of town for brunch and the food was excellent, as always from past experiences. I requested special seating due to hearing impairment and they put us in a nice quiet booth. All of us had a very good experience.Special Features:
- Great for brunching itFoodisGoodDined on 9/26/2014We have been to the Black Rabbit several times, this time it was just the girls. It was nice, not busy, we were seated right away and everything was delicious. It's a good idea to make reservations, because you never know when they will be super busy and the wait is never pleasant when you are hungry! Delicious breakfast options, delicious coffee. We were not rushed, but also not ignored.Special Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 9/22/2014We visited here again after 3 years from a prior trip to this area; the food and setting were as wonderful as ever. We seemed to have a waiter who was new to the job but he was affable and got assistance when needed. We would come back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- -Never going backPortlandAJDined on 9/20/2014The main reason we chose to eat there, was to get to the establishment early for an outdoor concert on their grounds. When we pulled up to park in the normal restaurant parking we were informed that it was full and to head out to the back lot. Once we got to the back lot, we were told that was full too, and to head out to concert parking (a dusty field). Once in the restaurant, it took over 30 minutes to get our over-priced and under-whelming food, and another 30 minutes to get a poorly mixed cocktail. The waitperson was non-existent for the most part- maybe overwhelmed/overloaded? Even if the service and food were fantastic, the prices are absurd, but they were so-so at best. This is in my top 3 "worst dining experiences" ever.Special Features:
- LindiDined on 9/17/2014The Black Rabbit was the perfect place to bring our guests visiting from Germany! It was a wonderful representation of Pacific Northwest food, drink and hospitality. We will return, I'm sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014We enjoyed the roasted beet salad, seared sea scallops, lemon ricotta ravioli and bread pudding in the Black Rabbit restaurant in Edgefield. The noise level was definitely energetic until the large group at a nearby table got their dinner and thankfully settled down, and service was good in this interesting and attractive restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert late lunchLuLuDined on 8/30/20143 stars/5 -- expensive for portion size Quality and Flavor 3+ Won't blow you away with menu or flavor but better than average pub come restaurant fare. Be prepared to pay for this step up though. Butter lettuce salad $9. Just 7 stacked leaves 4" wide. Well dressed, enjoyable but $$. Burger w a small portion fries $13.Throw a few extra fries on, they're cheap! Asked without mayo but came with. Pasta with peas $14 small, made fresh by outside vendor. satisfying flavor but you'll need that larger order if you're hungry! White wine $8.40 Smaller menu served concert days :( but understandable. Might return to try more of Chef Kenny G's full menu for special occasion. Not so affordable for casual drop by esp if you want to actually eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 for brunchclafiyumDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation online for four but had to change it to five the day of. Could not do online so had to call-was no problem. Staff very helpful-great room-lots going on! Food took awhile to arrive but we were visiting with friends. It was worth the wait-every one agreed! I would return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceSteveoDined on 8/28/2014Great food; good portions; great service; not too crowded. We had family visiting and they were blown away by the overall mcmenamins experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, friendly serviceKathDined on 8/25/2014Choose the Horseradish crusted salmon or the wild boar. Best ever!Special Features:
- Slow kitchen and unfriendly.NikeMamaDined on 8/24/2014Our meal was good, however, it was offset by the following: 1. We had golfed earlier and we finished earlier than expected so went to Black Rabbit about 20 min. before our res. time. We were told they would seat us in 20 min. Basically our original reservation time. When we were sat, we realized there were only 8 tables with patrons and the rest of the place was empty, yet lots of wait staff standing in the kitchen. Didn't understand why we had to wait. 2. Food took over 45 minutes to arrive after we ordered. had my 78 year old father with us and my sister visiting from Denver and took them to BR for a nice experience, but it we don't need to come back there or recommend it ever again.
- Fair, not greatSwamigoswamiDined on 8/10/2014Black Rabbit tends to be a bit expensive and the menu is just standard fare. A better choice would be one of the pub type restaurants at this same location. Better value and more fun
- PedalDancerDined on 8/10/2014Casual atmosphere and excellent service. The food was very well presented and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimeLuvtwoeatDined on 7/29/2014We made our reservation for lunch before we came that day. Good thing. Looked like they only took people who had reservations or only had enough waiters for reserved tables. We enjoyed drinks and beverages while ordering food. Nice variety of fare. Nice ambience. Good time with good friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charpin8Dined on 7/26/2014The Eggs Benedict w/Bloody Mary was the perfect brunch pairing. BM was spicy right for my taste w/a slice of pepper bacon. Eggs benedict had the muffin toasted w/c brought a delish crunch to every bite. Stellar service too by our waiter.Special Features:
- Black rabbit or black eye?BloodandRosesDined on 7/23/2014Surprisingly slow service for a off night. Food was flavorful, yet steaks were all cooked the same, instead of according to the three separate guest requests.Special Features:
- Yum, but ...DotSDined on 7/20/2014This is the second time I've eaten brunch at the Black Rabbit, and while both times I was pleased with what I ordered and found them very yummy, both times I also wished there was just a little more selection - the menu is very limited with only a handful of items to choose from. The first time I had the salmon and bagel with capers and pickled onion and cream cheese. Delicious. The second time I had the smoked salmon Benedict. It was excellent. I just wasn't exactly in the mood for anything on the menu, but had to pick something, and ended up happy with what I did select.Special Features:
- niteout4usDined on 7/5/2014We chose to sit outside which was very quiet and romantic. Our waitress gave us the right amount of time for each course starting with appetizer of scallops, which was outstanding, to wine and dessert. I recommend the dessert sampler to share. All were very good and would order those choices again. Thanks for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Venue, mixed dining experienceEnjoyLifeDined on 7/1/2014McMenamin's restaurants are quirky and fun, and on previous visits the Black Rabbit has prepared excellent food. This visit disappointed in several ways. The meal itself was pleasant but not memorable. I don't know what happened at this visit because prior ones were great. Hopefully just an off night.
- dinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant was very busy because they had a concert that evening. We were seated at a small table in the hallway though they had vacant tables in the dining room. It took ten minutes before we saw a server, though once we did, the service from that point was good. The food was mediocre at best.
- Concert Warning!RoadWarrior45VIPDined on 6/26/2014It would be nice when confirming a reservation if they would tell you that there is a major concert going on and you may have to park by the Moda Center and walk to the restaurant from there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Concert DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Enjoyed the Black Rabbit before heading to a concert on the lawn. The atmosphere is nice, and it's great to have a slightly finer dining option than the typical McMenamin's pub fare. My husband's crab sandwich was amazing! We were disappointed that the service was not on par with the menu or prices. The cheese plate was unceremoniously dropped on the table as a fly-by, my husband had to call the server back to tell us what cheeses we would be enjoying. Our soup and salad arrived accompanied by our entrees, so that by the time I had finished my salad my entree was cold. So close, yet....
- The following 70 reviews are from the Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Father's Day DinnerMrsCooperDined on 6/15/2014We had a very nice Father's Day experience at Edgefield! Started with wine tasting in the cellar, dinner at Black Rabbit, and a night cap at Lucky's Pool hall.Special Features:
- Too noisyCRB123Dined on 6/15/2014We were having brunch at 11 on Sunday. It took over 45 minutes for our breakfast food to arrive, the waiter kept forgetting things, we couldn't hear each other across the table, but the food was good. Not great, but good.Special Features:
- Always and A+foodieDined on 6/9/2014The Black Rabbit is always a treat. We were seated immediately when we arrived [Monday night], not at all crowded. Out waiter Nicholas was attentive without being overbearing. Gave a good description of menu items . His recommendations were right on and we enjoyed the soup and salads very much. My husband had a wild mushroom flan with 5 vegetable and I had a starter of bacon wrapped scallops with cauliflower puree. We had to take half of it home as we were stuffed but enjoyed a trio of desserts for his birthday. Again flavors abound with passion fruit creme brulee, triple [to die for] chocolate cheesecake and Hogshead whiskey bread pudding. Small portions and just enough for 2. Our favorite go to place for great dining, food.Special Features:
- Below averageStevenDined on 6/8/2014Food was average. Cinnamon rolls were barely warm. Breakfast entrees were also barely warm, certainly not hot. Service was slow despite not being crowded. Decor was old and lighting very dim. I liked the historical feel of the place but it wasnt polished and lighting too dim for morning.
- Higher end pub-ish style foodMaywoodDined on 6/1/2014Service was friendly and accomodating. I asked to make a couple of substitutions and they had no problem with it and the order was done right. Service was slow however, but it tends to be at McMenamins, so we planned for that. The food was good. Not amazing. Better than the typical McMenamins pub food. Best Bloody Marys ever though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent serviceVLMShayDined on 5/30/2014We found Black Rabbit through Open Table, we searched for available tables 'near me' and this popped up with great reviews and an enticing menu. We gave it a try and I'm so glad we did! Edgefield is beautiful spot and the food was great. Out waiter was fantastic. We had a great time and we will definitely go back. I'm amazed that there is such a nice restaurant so close to our neighborhood. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerJenntiggerDined on 5/11/2014This was the first time we came here. My 3 yr old even enjoyed it and the food was exceptionally good!! The service was verySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if can get a RoomGetawayforthe2ofusDined on 5/10/2014Always enjoy eating here- AS LONG AS I CAN BOOK A ROOM- which is very challenging OMG- this review should not be so strictSpecial Features:
- Awesome time at Black RabbitNikeMamaDined on 5/10/2014My sister and I had a girls weekend at Edgefield and dined at Black Rabbit for brunch and late night dinner at the Black Rabbit Bar. Food was excellent - service was terrific. Just an all around great experience - every time.Special Features:
- A very special placeLuv2dineDined on 5/3/2014Go to The Black Rabbit any time with anyone. Great for a special occasion or for a casual date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.