Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge
60 Sea Walk Drive
The Sea Ranch, CA 95497Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://searanchlodge.com/dine/black-point-grill
- Phone: (707) 785-4807
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 7:00am - 11:00am
All-Day Dining: Daily 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Whipple
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge
The acclaimed Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge features internationally-inspired California cuisine that emphasizes the freshest local ingredients. Seasonal menus and daily specials tempt with many satisfying options, from delectable entrees, small plates and appetizers to casual tavern fare, resulting in sophisticated yet uncontrived dining. To complement the food, our Oceanside restaurant offers an award-winning selection of about 110 unique regional wines. The evolving wine list showcases some of the best small estate wineries from Sonoma and Mendocino appellations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge - Best Restaurants in Sea Ranch ›
Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (40)romantic (20)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (12)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Another great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/20/2014The food here continues to be outstanding. I had Mahimahi and it was excellent. My wife had the same and really enjoyed. The view of the setting sun over the ocean was equally wonderful. We have been going here for forty years. The chefs change. The current one runs a fab kitchenSpecial Features:
- Great food...great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/20/2014The view is fantastic...look out over the rocky cliffs and watch the waves coming in. We got to see a great sunset. The food was very good and service was friendly and fast.Special Features:
- Comfortable and modernCoastalFamilyDined on 10/17/2014Try out the ambiance and food at Black Point Grill. The chef is creative; uses local and seasonal ingredients; connects compelling flavors.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!HotairballoonDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant had excellent foot and excellent service. We were celebrating our anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased with both. We had the salmon special and steak dinners, both we great! Thank you!Special Features:
- No ProblemsTeddyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Some earlier reviews complained of poor service and bad food. We were seated right away and our orders taken. Drinks and food came rapidly. The oysters, crab cakes and seafood chowder were all very good as were our two entres, fish and chips and the halibut. Desertswere also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceDrJohnsonVIPDined on 9/9/2014The menu is good, but there were flies everywhere.. swarming us and our food. (we were inside!) I wonder how many there are in the kitchen? The champaigne by the glass left a little to be desired...used to serve Roderer but no more. It was ok. The wait person was fantastic, very attentive and respectful. the bread was excellent. the ceasar salad was way over-dressed...to the point of extremeSpecial Features:
- Delicious - the perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great view great food great wine and great service. Don't over complicate it. It was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalfredfredfredVIPDined on 9/5/2014I had the Kobe Beef, wonderful. Fresh vegie were great, service personal. View of the Pacific Ocean exceptional.Special Features:
- Only Show In TownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food is decent and the staff provides amiable service. (We had to ask for bread; the wine took a long time to arrive.) Their seating policy needs to be transparent and explained in detail at the time the reservation is made. I made a reservation and verbally confirmed in person with a server the day before. He confirmed the reservation and showed us our table on the restaurant's reservation system. It was a window table and that is what we expected. When we arrived exactly on time, the table had been given to another party and the staff member on duty at that time kept repeating that they do not reserve particular tables. If that is the case, all the staff needs to be trained so the message to patrons is consistent.Special Features:
- Love Sea Ranchwork4no1Dined on 8/20/2014There is a new chef at Sea Ranch and he is incredible. I tried several of his creations and they were all exceptional. The staff is friendly and treats you like family. Great view of the ocean from almost every table. I would go back in a heartbeat..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/20/2014Best to eat during the week ( 2 times). Saturday night very crpwed with slower service, but very friendly folks.Special Features:
- Wow, the views!SantaRoseEsqDined on 8/17/2014A wonderful location for a meal with views. The buildings on Sea Ranch are a bit dated now, but fit the overall ambiance of the area. The food is alright; the service is alright too. However, this will not be one of the best meals you've ever eaten. Given the selection of restaurants in the area, it's worth a go. Just have reasonable expectations and enjoy the wonderful ocean views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual with a flairyummyDined on 8/15/2014It is set at sea ranch lodge which is an upscale "camp style" retreat. Itfaces the beautiful Pacific craggy coast. The chef uses local foods and puts a tasty gourmet spin on his cuisine. Dinners were ample and the wait staff was extremelr friendly and knowledgeable especially Sean. The food entrees were more reasonable than listed which was a pleasant surpriseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at SunsetBebeDined on 8/11/2014If you happen to be one of the lucky ones to be tucked away in a perfect corner by the windows or seated next to any window overlooking the Pacific Ocean when the sun is setting then you are in for a lovely experience. We had such a table; however, the large dining room was noisy and crowded. It is a place for families who are on vacation, so if you want a quiet romantic spot, either try another restaurant or ask for a special table in another part of the restaurant, which they closed off the evening we were there. My short ribs were delicious and succulent, but wanted the halibut, which they were out of. Wine list by the glass was sketchy! Service was good, but understaffed. Worth the visit however, and we would go back!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatfoodiesDined on 8/10/2014We went to the Sea Ranch Lodge for my Mother's Birthday last weekend. We mentioned when making the reservation that we would like a window seat if possible, as it was a Birthday. No mention of knowing it was a Birthday. Seated for 45 minutes before our drinks came. We were told the bread was in the oven and that it would be our shortly... the bread finally came after being seated for 50 minutes. Once they took our order the food came quickly which was great. We were a group of four, two people liked what they ordered and thought it was above average, the other two of thought it was OK, a little bland. We are locals to the Sea Ranch so we had high hopes for the new chef. We will go back to give it another try but were a little disappointed.Special Features:
- FantasticSeaRanchMDined on 8/9/2014Such a great setting. Food is terrific, carefully prepared, nicely presented. Nice atmosphere but also comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Point GrillSeaRanchCuisineDined on 7/29/2014We had one breakfast and one dinner here. Service a bit slow at start of dinner and then got progressively better. Food was very good at both meals.Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Black Point Grill at Sea Ranch Lodge reviews archive.
- Nothing specialTkells166Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant has ok food, the view is nice. I would not go back or recommend to others since just around the corner in Gualala they have better restaurants. I think most of the people eat there because Sea Ranch doesn't have much else to choose from. My wife hated this place so I am being fair and balanced.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!DubuDined on 7/14/2014We had dinner there one night, the next day took a 6 miles hike along the coast and ended up having late lunch & drinks after the hike. Beautiful place to watch the sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Our group of seven--adults and children--were treated veery well for both dinner and lunch. Something for everyone on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best yetGreatfindVIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our second dinner at BPG and it surpassed the first one - mostly because of more efficient service. We were seated on time, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, and we got our wine, appetizer, and bread in a reasonable time. The dinners were delicious and the sunset was spectacular. We'll be back once more before we have to depart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meals!RonPatontheroadDined on 7/6/2014We ate dinner and breakfast here. Both were excellent...well prepared and well presented. The view is gorgeous! Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceJoeDineVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had just a wonderful dining experience at the Black Point Grill. We had a table with a fantastic food. And the food was outstanding and so was the service. We will definitely return here on future visits to Sea Ranch.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencejefflDined on 6/27/2014The food served was extremely fresh and tasty. The service was excellent. The view is outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We stayed at the lodge 2 nights and ate every meal at the Black Point Grill. The food was great at all times. Service was great with one exception. Our server forgot us. When she realized it she admitted her mistake, the house picked up our wine tab and the food came shortly there after. Couldn't ask for a better recovery - we tipped her well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Point GrillTlubarskyVIPDined on 6/25/2014Hello, we enjoyed our dining experience the food was so, so. They said all the window seats were reserved yet during our two hours there no one sat at those seats. Therefore we were concerned as to why we were told that.Special Features:
- Spectacular view, away from crowdsPacificNDined on 6/17/2014Staying at the lodge is serene and scenic. Being able to eat such fresh, good food while remaining peaceful was fantastic. The servers were overwhelmed the night I had dinner, but the service did not falter. Nicely done, Sea Ranch.Special Features:
- A memorable eveningtcb292VIPDined on 6/11/2014This was our first experience at Sea Ranch and dinner at the Black Point Grill helped make it a wonderful stay. The environment is low key and casual but the views are magnificent and the food was great. We had a salmon dish that was fresh caught locally and really well prepared. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Incomparable views & great foodsomuchtoeatsolittletimeDined on 5/23/2014For my husband's birthday meal, this restaurant overlooking the Pacific Coast was the best possible choice. Casual tables along the wall of windows, a competent vivacious server, and incredible views made this unforgettable. My Petrale Sole was sublime and his chicken succulent. Locally crafted beers complemented our meal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone driving the Norther Sonoma and Mendocino coasts.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureMariVIPDined on 5/18/2014Every time we are at SeaRanch, we always make it a point to eat at the Black Point Grill. We love the food and atmosphere and the view of the Pacific Ocean.Special Features:
- Breakfast better than DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014The food was very good but our service was a bit of a challenge. The young girl couldn't pronouce the winery names when telling us wines by the glass. She had a huge 'love mark' on her neck which her manager should have addressed. The window by our table was open and the handle was broken so it was a bit chilly and it couldn't be closed. We had two wonderful breakfasts here and both the service and food was excellent. Views are outstanding and we even spotted some whales passing by.Special Features:
- The view is the best part...ItsAboutFoodVIPDined on 4/22/2014We've been returning to the BPG at the Sea Ranch Lodge for more than 30 years. It has had it's highs and lows. After a 2 year hiatus we tried it once again. We had a wonderful lunch one day - great sandwiches and delicious chowder, and excellent upbeat service. The next night we returned for dinner. The menu offers some variety, both "Tavern Fare" and entrees. We tried both the pan-roasted petrale and breaded chicken cutlet. Each were fine, but unremarkable, and both were served at room temperature on cold plates. They had been fired much too early to allow time for our enjoyment of a good Caesar salad and simply got cold. The wine list is still decent, and overpriced. We miss the arm chairs. It's not bad, but it could be so much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It keeps improvingBillVIPDined on 4/14/2014Before the recent visit I regarded this restaurant as little more than an upscale pub. Now its upscale in the best sense of the word. We had one dinner and two breakfasts. You could put this restaurant in any large city and it would do well. The view is hard to find anywhere else. For some, it might seem a little pricey but it easily passes my bang over buck test.Special Features:
- Crab Louie Main DishflavorscountVIPDined on 4/13/2014Unfortunately, the Crab Louie main dish did not work. It consisted of a large pile of chopped lettuce surrounded by tasteless vegetables, canned bay shrimp, canned crab, and sardines. The French-type dressing hidden deep in the lettuce did not add anything to the flavor of the dish. I have to be honest and say it was the most unpleasant meal I've ever experienced in a restaurant. It was pretty---but very disappointing.Special Features:
- Escape from everythingDavidVIPDined on 3/28/2014Good food in a casual yet defined setting. Sweeping views of the Pacific from from every table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit after a newgabatsrDined on 3/22/2014Our first visit after a new chef was on March 22, 2014. The beef medallions and swordfish special were fabulous. Best meal we have ever had at the Lodge in 30 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem Along the Sonoma CoastwggzreviewVIPDined on 3/18/2014Sea Ranch is a beautiful seaside community...isolated to say the least. It is rare to find both great food and great service in such off the beaten path locations. Seve and Trisha were outstanding wait persons...and Maria...the chef for the night... prepared incredible Petrole Sole and a pasta special that was a Home Run. Excellent! We always look forward to visiting this restaurant...a treat along Hwy 1 along the Sonoma County coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Good FoodSMCCLUNGVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was really good. Initially, you have to ask for water as California is in a drought. However, be mindful that the wine list available by glass is only on the paper menu. I was VERY disappointed after spending a good amount of time reviewing the wine list along with potential entrees. The wine list provided shows the wines as by the bottle or by the glass - but don't be fooled, you can't order wine by the glass from their booklet. At that our waiter mentioned he had been there for 7 years - so I was even more disappointed that a a nice place like this they failed to appropriately advertise their wine menu. The food was outstanding and the breakfast burritos were awesome as well, but the service was not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible serviceseagoerDined on 2/17/2014worst service I've ever had drinks didnt arrive until 30 minutes later with dinner bread without butter everybody else's table had butter balsamic vinegar and oil we were left with just the oil had to ask multiple times for a refill of water even though the food was delicious the experience was totally ruined due to a young waitress who expected a young couple that wasn't dressed up to be bad tippers. Also I received the request to fill out the survey at 1:30 a.m. In the morning perhaps next time you want a review you could not have some buddies email wake them up in the middle of the night
- Another wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/28/2014From the crab cake starter to the mahi mahi main course with wonderful risotto this was a great meal. Great ambience as well.Special Features: