Black Pearl Restaurant
1529 South Pearl Street
Denver, CO 80210Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Black Pearl Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackpearldenver.com/
- Phone: 3037770500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily beginning at 5:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch: Weekends 10:00am - 3:00pm (featuring bottomless mimosas) Happy Hour: Daily 3:00pm - 6:00pm (featuring half-priced drinks and oysters)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitch Mayers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant may be rented for functions, or, our unique layout allows us to sell out portions of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Whited 3037770500
- Special Events: Don't miss our Summer Wine Series from May - October 5-7pm! Go On Tour with Black Pearl...Wine Dinners from around the World the 1st Wednesday of Every Month...Call for Details!
A word from Black Pearl Restaurant
Described as contemporary American cuisine, Black Pearl's menu is focused on using fresh, locally produced ingredients that deliver a fullness of flavor which can only come from foods produced and prepared in a conscientious way. For the diner, that means our changing menu will feature seasonal foods, grown locally, and picked fresh to ensure their fullest flavor. From fruits and vegetables to meat and poultry, Black Pearl is committed to serving foods that are grown and raised in a way that shows respect for nature, and, of course, a similar respect for those who produce them and you who consume them. In addition to our regular menu selections, Black Pearl features a fresh raw oyster bar. With a carefully chosen selection of delectable oysters at all times, the raw bar has become a dining destination of its own.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Pearl Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (28)notable wine list (21)romantic (20)special occasion (20)great for brunch (10)hot spot (9)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Really nice...AFguyinCOSDined on 9/14/2014Great location, excellent food, elegant setting...recommend for special occasions!Special Features:
- Fire-pitAdamTKODined on 9/10/2014This place is expensive, but it's worth it. And it's SUPER worth it if you sit outside on the patio next to the fire. So, next time, skip out on the crowded and expensive Sushi Den and take a few extra steps down the street to the Black Pearl. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Went for a quick brunch food was great and the bottomless mimosas were FAB! Outdoor dining and service was excellent as well would definitely come back and recommend to a friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply average w/ execution issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014I choose the Black Pearl out of all the restaurants for Denver Restaurant week because of their creative menu and the fact that they had Paella on the menu (one of my all time favorite dishes that is often hard to find). Sadly, I was disappointed with my food. Paella was more of a soup - potatoes seemed stale and the 1 clam was fishy and tasted old. Salad was extremely small and desserts disappointing (coconut cake no trace of espresso and was dry and inedible). For a $80 check, I expected more out of the meal and will not return. Honestly, I wish I had spent my restaurant week dollars at a different establishment. I do wish this local restaurant success and I hope the chef/manager reads reviews as tool to improve.
- NOT American fare!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014My teenager chose this restaurant for Restaurant Week because it advertised American fare. Our French-speaking dinner companion had to translate the menu, a combination of French and Italian. We won't be back.
- MehElleDined on 8/26/2014I was really excited to take my girlfriend for dinner. The menu sounded amazing. The place is nice, the service is good, but the food was really not great. The ingredients are quality, but the taste is not there. Bland, or odd. I thought maybe I just didn't like what Ive had, but I heard an unsolcited review from a co-worker that she had a similar experience with a different menu.Special Features:
- This Pearl shinesDenverDevilDined on 8/25/2014We visited the Black Pearl during restaurant week and had an amazing evening. Making the reservation to visit with our friends who have a daughter studying the culinary arts in Napa, we were hoping to impress and the Black Pearl dishes with a Louisiana flare (I enjoyed their take on jambalaya), fine wines, and tempting deserts did just that. The unexpected surprise was that because it was raining the seating inside the dining room allowed us to peek into the kitchen so we could see the chef and cooks showing off their impeccable skills. We plan to sit outside next visit as the patio is warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Great VisitTim31Dined on 8/23/2014I always like trying new restaurants and Denver Restaurant Week allowed me to try some place I might not have tried otherwise. I thought the options they had to choose from where great as I think having 4 main course options allows a good variety to choose from.Special Features:
- Bravo for the Moody Blue SouffleVeggies4meDined on 8/23/2014After looking at several local restaurant menus online, I chose the Black Pearl for my belated birthday celebration with three other people. At the time, I didn't know about Restaurant Week so that wasn't a factor. My Moody Blue souffle (one of the reasons I chose the restaurant) was to die for, and my scallops with hoisin sauce (thankfully with no MSG) and my husband's duck breast were also excellent. I'm not sure why, but our friends decided to order from the Restaurant Week menu, which apparently was an unfortunate choice. They should have stuck with the regular menu like my husband and I did. The Black Pearl is a perennial favorite of mine, and I'll be back soon for another Moody Blue Souffle!Special Features:
- ljcarpljcarpDined on 8/23/2014Nice quaint location, beautifully redone old home. Very odd pairings of ingredients; only some worked. Served warm water with no ice? Who does that? With only one bite of the dessert the waitstaff never asked if it was ok or if it could be replaced. Seemingly disinterested once the meal was nearly complete.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Keep returning to the Black Pearl, it's close to home. The food is so good. I enjoyed the scallops. I took a friend for her birthday and they gave her a complimentary, delicious desert with candle. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I truly enjoy the experience. I would not recommend you bring children here. It's a nice adult outing. Thanks Black Pearl.Special Features:
- great nite!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014sat outside--drinks were yummy. Food was very good. Service was also very good. Enjoyed our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even better serviceKSGirlDined on 7/26/2014This was my first visit to the Black Pearl, which had been recommended by a coworker. I brought my parents with me, and they happened to be very indecisive that evening. Our server was incredibly helpful patient, especially when explaining the extensive wine list. We started with pork belly, and for entrees we each ended up getting a seafood dish: mussels, scallops, and the fish special (striped bass, I believe it was). The food was excellent. We were seated near the open kitchen, which I suppose might be a negative to some people, but we enjoyed gawking at the chefs while they worked. Overall a great experience, and I really can't say enough about the service.Special Features:
- Find dining that was down to earthNfliDined on 7/23/2014The food was amazing, expensive. It you get what you pay for. The staff was great, very down to earth, attentive, knowledgable and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience as usualaknittedbrowVIPDined on 7/21/2014Many thanks to the wait staff who recommended a fabulous - and affordable - wine to accompany our dinner. All four of us ordered the same dinner - the 3 course tasting menu - which was superbly prepared. We had a wonderful dinner and a very enjoyable time.Special Features:
- Great findMOSanzoDined on 7/15/2014Great little restaurant on South Pearl. Wonderful food, especially the calamari and the halibut. Great wine list but pricey. About $100 per person with appetizer, bottle of wine, salad, entree and dessert.Special Features:
- Makes it specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We booked at Black Pearl for our first anniversary and the staff made it a very special night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very disappointingvalerie44Dined on 7/13/2014Brunch is just not their thing. Some restaurants try to do too much to make the most money, and apparently the Black Pearl is one of these places. First, the monkey bread was not very tasty. It didnt really remind me of monkey bread. And when you tell me their is cream, there better be more than a tiny spoonful. Next, I got the square breakfast. Hard to go wrong right? Wrong. The potatoes were dry and flavorless. The eggs were slimy (not real eggs). My bacon was burnt. My boyfriend got the duck hash. There was a half inch of grease at the bottom of his dish. Do I need to say more? Very very disappointed.Special Features:
- what happened??GESWWPDined on 7/13/2014This used to be a great place for dinner and brunch. Our last visit was terrible! the food was mediocre at best. The service was horrible- wrong food, not filling coffee even though asked, inattentive to the point of not being able to find the waiter....... Although it has been a" go to" for many years I will not be returning.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/2/2014Had an 8pm reservation for a Tues night. Service was slow, took a while to get our drinks. We ordered and then the waiter came back and told my husband they were out of the pasta here had ordered. They have a pretty small menu so that was unfortunate. I got the burrata which was good, they brought my husband the wrong salad. After starters it took over 45 mins to get our entrees. I got the sweet corn risotto...never in my life have I sent something back for being just plain bad. It lacked any sort of flavor or seasoning, and tasted like water and rice (worse possibly). My husbands scallops were great. They gave us cake to make up for it- pistachio ice cream on it was fantastic but cake was dry and flavorless. Maybe went on a bad night? Sad.
- slow service marked the eveningeccewbdDined on 6/28/2014Started off with service that was attentive and quick but as the meal progressed we felt abandoned by out server. Food was below average but she would not have known as she did not return until she brought desert menus. Then room another, 15 min to bring the check.Special Features:
- Black Pearl is a PearlJJeatsVIPDined on 6/21/2014We thought there were many tempting offerings, not true at every notable restaurant. The starter of gorgonzola souffle was rich and yummy. The entree of four large scallops with hominey, fava beans etc. was mouth watering and generously proportioned. The BP is very attractive with its large window opened to the gorgeous summer evening. We enjoyed the neighborhood atmosphere with families, dogs, people oni bikes, and lots of strollers. Altogether a most special dining experience.Special Features:
- Servicefoodie222Dined on 6/15/2014Treated my husband to the Father's Day Brunch which was mediocre at least. Bottomless Mimosa's were dampened by the poor service and actual delivery of drinks. It was disappointing that the advertising of Bottomless Mimosa's was anything but bottomless. Great outdoor dining but frustrating to have to chase down your waiter. Get it together Black Pearl!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsureburlyVIPDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant is definitely a neighborhood gem. The service and the ambiance is always fantastic. We have enjoyed this restaurant through the years, yet the past few visits have been disappointing. We heard that the chef recently changed and we were excited to try. Our artichoke was not cooked and the Panza salad was horrible!! My husband enjoyed his salmon and said it was the best he has experienced in a while. My scallops were just ok, but the veggies under them were good. We are mixed still on this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant on PearlNosferav8rDined on 6/9/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and had a great time. The waitress (Kim) was awesome, friendly and outgoing... the ambience was wonderful and the food was absolutely incredible. I had the swordfish, which is a fish I usually don't like and was completely blown away by the quality. Wine selection was also excellent and we easily could've stayed here all night... but we also wanted to walk up to the Village Cork up the street for more of that :) Prices a bit higher than the local competition, but definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Delicious!TatitotDined on 5/24/2014Duck confit skillet was delicious. My bottomless mimosa was constantly being filled - never had to sit with an empty glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cost versus value/TGIFDined on 5/23/2014We all liked this restaurant but found the prices for beer and per glass wine to be exorbitant. The food was good and the chef used imagination, but even here, we would like to see a little better value.Special Features:
- JanetCVIPDined on 5/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Black Pearl. I had heard it was a great place and was not disappointed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 784 reviews are from the Black Pearl Restaurant reviews archive.
- Cool neighborhood spot!CajunfoodieDined on 5/18/2014Food was good, ate at the bar where the service was very good! The scene was vibrant but not too loud. The farmer's market was in full swing on Pearl Street, which created a challenge. We were forced to park more than 6 blocks from the restaurant, street was blocked off, we were late for our reservation. But, they seated us in the bar, the doors were open to the front patio, all worked out. Be aware of the farmer's market congestion, as it was unexpected.Special Features:
- Always a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014The Black Pearl is one of our favorites for several years now and it never disappoints!! Great place to take a date or spouse, meet friends or colleagues. Great place for the after work happy hour gathering or a special event dinner with your significant other.Special Features:
- Black Missing PearlCeciDined on 5/11/2014ordered mussels not available, so I ordered oyster po boy, there was about 7 tiny oysters on my bread, no taste & dry, I did love the monkey breadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day BrunchJennaDined on 5/10/2014We always enjoy eating at the Black Pearl. We walk from our house and enjoy great food and drinks!Special Features:
- Black Pearl BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014This place is pretty bad. The service was horrible. Especially for a Sunday brunch with bottomless mimosas. Had to ask repeatedly for a refill along with refills of water. Food was average, at best. Won't return
- Wonderful menuWahineatheartDined on 4/28/2014There is something for everyone on this menu and I can not over state how lovely the wait staff was to us!Special Features:
- Fresh local fareF000dLuvrVIPDined on 4/27/2014Black Pearl is back on the map as a result of a great decision to bring Chef Samir on board. His food creations are nothing short of mouth watering and the presentation is beautiful. Jeremy as master of ceremonies is always a wonderful pleasure to see and takes great care of everyone coming through the doors. All of the BP team are very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. The wonderful food with a menu that changes each quarter seasonally and the wonderful staff make this Platte Park spot a must go. Bottomless mimosas and awesome bloody mary's for brunch are also spectacular.Special Features:
- Great SpotFirsttimerDined on 4/25/2014I have always passed by and never went in till this past Friday...... Way over do!!!! The place was great!Special Features:
- Always a TreatMikeDined on 4/17/2014Never had a bad meal here. Great street, great atmosphere. Delicious food with a great wine list.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experienceadnewms3Dined on 4/11/2014I loved the setup of the place and it was such a nice night, they opened the front wall window and had people dining outside. We had a table right at the top of the couple stairs that lead down into the kitchen and it was really cool and unique to see how great the kitchen ran and the smells that came from it. All of the food we ordered was excellent and I will be going back to try more. I will say that you will pay more on the high end for a night out at this restaurant but it was completely worth the expense for a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians will Love BrunchFamousamos915Dined on 3/30/2014The birthday girl is a vegetarian and she loved brunch at Black Pearl. There were many...and I mean many...choices for her to choose from. She was delighted with all the options for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAngelaDined on 3/28/2014Great neighborhood restaurant! Very good food, excellent service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.