Black Palm Restaurant
1700 Park St N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33710Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Palm Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackpalmrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7273605000x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Black Palm Restaurant
Enjoy innovative Latin cuisine in an elegant yet casual environment. Experience a fine-dining affair or mix and match our tapas and create a culinary masterpiece of your own. Join friends in our bar and sample our handcrafted cocktails!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Black Palm Restaurant - Best Restaurants in St. Petersburg ›
Black Palm Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (13)romantic (13)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great new findLindaPDined on 8/23/2014This location has housed many different restaurants over the last few years with distinctly different cuisines. The interior has always been dark and noisy. It is still noisy, but much brighter than in the past. I miss the valet parking, but otherwise, The Black Palm was a delightful surprise. The food was terrific and the waitress attentive and informative. I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting St. PetepinkslipmgDined on 8/16/2014Food and service were great! Decor was a little outdated, but overall a nice time.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beFlorida4nowVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were sorely disappointed when we returned to Black Palm. Several food items were not available (that was also true on our last visit), multiple servers functioning as a team simply meant that no one was really in charge, and the music was so loud that we could not hear each other (there were four of us). The food that was served was okay but the carpaccio had been cooked, the sliced rib eye tasted like pot roast, the calamari were so-so, and the sides served with the corvina were not what was on the menu. The music (which sounded like wedding music) was much too loud and not culturally related to the food, like it used to be. Frankly we're very sorry the restaurant moved. It has dropped from our top 10 to maybe not again.
- Memorable experience.DaveMaryDined on 8/15/2014Upon arrival, the person who seated us said we had a choice of being close to the live music or farther away for more privacy and a more quiet table. We chose the seating near the fabulous violin virtuoso who played beautiful Spanish style music and a few standards thrown in to make you feel at home. The performer was so good we tipped him $20 bucks. He deserved it. The food was well presented and very good. I already have the another item on the menu picked out for our next visit. Service was on top of their game and we thought the total experience was worth repeating. Didn't hurt that the gorgeous sunset that was draping the entire Suncoast, as we left the place, made our night even more magic.Special Features:
- A Sublime BirthdayTLS2411Dined on 8/2/2014Started with drinks at the bar, which is beautiful. Had dinner for 6, couldn't believe how tender the meat was. The whole evening ambience was enhanced by a classically trained violinist playing great bar music. Loving evening, will be back again soon.Special Features:
- DifferentLovetoeaout52Dined on 8/2/2014This restaurant really needs to address the noise level. When the server can't hear your order, it is too loud!! Baffles on the ceiling, lower music, something. It is the first thing you notice when you walk in. Enjoyed the food, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food and service in the area!!In2theBlueDined on 7/29/2014Beautiful restaurant inside and out! Food and service is outstanding!!! We can not wait to return! Thank you for a special evening. The music was a nice touch too! Will be back for the Tapas and the Cafe Con Carne! and save some Natilla for us too!!! Owners are great! Even came to the table to check on us! Will see you again soon!!!!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful, Tapas and Sangria!MundyDined on 7/21/2014We had an exceptional dinner of Tapas, which were tasty and beautifully prepared, whether it was the Seafood Ceviche or the marinated Beef on skewers. We had five Tapas and a marvelous dessert, which was like a Creme Brulee, but made with Grand Marnier. Their special Sangria, was one of the best I have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Awesome Latin American CuisinewinenutDined on 7/18/2014This is by far one of the Best Latin American restaurants I have been to in SW Florida. The food was delicious, service impeccable and the wine list fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Palm RelocatesTheGreatOneDined on 7/12/2014We loved Black Palm when it was on Pass-a-Grille Beach, but hadn't been in a number of years, so for our 17th anniversary, we decided to check out the new location in the historic Jungle Prada area. We were not disappointed. I ordered the HUGE deep sea scallops and my bride ordered the salmon. I was a little surprised to observe that the menu offered fewer sea food dishes than in the past. The musical entertainment (classical guitarist playing authentic Spanish music, for the most part) was just a tad loud, but I think our proximity to the set might have been partly responsible. The server was a bit brisk but courteous, efficient and very professional. Do yourselves a favor and check out this tastefully classy new location!Special Features:
- Worth the tripfloridatravellers2014Dined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed our anniversary dinner from the tapas menu. Each and every dish was excellent. These servers work on a team approach, which gives everyone excellent service. We will be back on our next trip to the greater St Petersburg area. Thanks for the great memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!CaptainMorganDined on 6/24/2014We met another couple for dinner. It was fantastic! The presentation of the food was terrific. We went on a Tuesday night which was advertised as $5 wine and $5 tapas. Our friends had the tapas which looked great. I had the filet which were delicious and my wife had the scallops which she really enjoyed. The servers were attentive and gave us the history of the restaurant. We had such a good time that we will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Palm dining reviewDivineDiningDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant reasonably accommodated 6 friends saying goodbye to one without feeling rushed though we were there for hours. The location was convenient and the atmosphere was perfect. The menu items were a little pricy and that would preclude me from dining here as often as I'd like. However, the specials offered were terrific and moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black palmThdiningDined on 5/27/2014Very nice meal. Attentive service. Good menu including tapas. Especially enjoyed coffee encrusted filetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2014Enjoyed our meal. Their address is wrong on Tripadvisor, so we almost went to the wrong location. They are now located on Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After theatre birthday celebrationJessDined on 5/17/2014Our group of 6 had a lovely birthday celebration at 10pm. Service was outstanding, as was the light meal and appetizers that we enjoyed. We were the only ones in the restaurant and never did we feel rushed or that we were intruding on the staff's personal time. We would highly recommend The Black Palm and every member of our group will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayFldawgDined on 5/11/2014First time to this restaurant. Food was outstanding. Service was first class. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealMicheleDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed another great meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a good gourmet meal. Excellent customer service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service Mediocre foodKattDined on 4/30/2014Walking in I was impressed wirh the building and decor. The wait staff was pleasant and very professional. However the food was mediocre at best. For the price I was expecting a higher level. What a disappointment as this could be a hidden jewel, but they must kick up their game in the kitchen if they are to succeed.
- The following 22 reviews are from the Black Palm Restaurant reviews archive.
- Did not meet expectationsHPS58VIPDined on 4/28/2014This restaurant was recommended by friends on several occasions. So we expected a good experience. The restaurant has recently relocated and the new venue is lovely. Our service was great! The wine list was lean and could certainly be revisited to improve selections to better suit the menu. I ordered steak medium rare, I received about the worst over cooked tenderloin I have ever had. It was coffee crusted but it seems the coffee grounds must have been rubbed on after it was cooked. I felt I was eating mouthfuls of sand. Just awful. I also ordered calamari which had a wonderful twist which included yellow chili peppers, great add, however also over cooked.
- A new St. Pete favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014The place is beautiful. Service was very good; food was excellent; the servers did not hover, but were attentive to how our our meal was progressing. It was a Sunday night and pretty empty. but that was just fine with me, as it was quieter and, since tis was a special occasion for my brand-new significant other, it was that much more romantic. The music was perfect for the place as well.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014For starters, Most restaurants in St Pete that would be in the same category as Black Palm (Salt Rock, Middle Grounds, Beach Dr. DT) that have limited parking offer complementary Valet. Here they take all the parking and require you to pay for Valet. The environment seemed old and not really impressive. So both of these things can be easily overcome with a good experience, however that didn't happen. We ordered the Chipotle Deviled Eggs and my Fiancé asked to make sure they were vegetarian since they also have a lobster deviled egg on the menu. They confirmed for us that they were. When we got them we each took a bit and they were NOT Vegetarian. The only response we got was that we were wrong they were and don't worry they took offSpecial Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary. The food was excellent as well as the service. Our waitress was very helpful in suggesting a great meal that we both enjoyed. The only complaint I have is the noise, it's very loud. And the seating. We like booths and there aren't any, the seating is close to other people/tales. But overall we really like it. We will most likely be back.
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Presentation was very good. Wait staff was also very good, and knowledgeable. The Tortoise Creek Pinot Noir suggested by staff was a hit with wife, who often isn't a fan of red wines, but when the staff listened to her likes and dislikes and suggested it, they nailed it. Definitely are looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, very noisy.JloalsoDined on 4/23/2014I was a frequent visitor to the restaurant when it was in Passe Grille Beach. The new restaurant ambiance is fabulous, but the noise level is too high for intimate dining. It would behoove them to put down carpeting in the main dining area, to absorb some of the sound. (I know, it is a shame to cover that great terrazzo...) They do need some kind of sound barrier.. Don't know if they will ever get this opinion...Just a suggestion. Regardless, I will definitely return to the restaurant. JudySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Visit was Much BetterKaseyVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our first meal at the Black Palm a few weeks ago was just so so. We had some friends who wanted to try it so we reluctantly made a reservation. It was like dining at a different restaurant! The food was much better and the service a lot less hovery. Even the drinks were stronger. We will return!Special Features:
- PriceyXripperXDined on 4/19/2014Good food but too pricey in my opinion. The tapas selection is good and if I returned I would stick to that and the dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlanddinetimeDined on 4/19/2014The location and atmosphere are nice, staff friendly. The problem is no one at the helm in the kitchen. The food was no less than horrible. Bland dishes with no seasoning whatsoever. The pork chop was like a warmed hockey puck served with rice that was most certainly Uncle Bens instant straight out of the box (not even salted). Try hiring a real chef and preparing food with fresh ingredients and some seasoning.Special Features:
- NOT HAPPYOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2014The minute you walk it, it is so so loud. The music was also loud. We had one good server Lee Ann (I think) and the rest were not great. We waited over 1 1/2 hours for our food and were just told 4 times when we ask where our food was that they had a wedding party there and so they seem to be putting their attention to the wedding party. When the food did arrive, my pork chop (25.00) was dried out. Our friends food lacked flavor. My husband had a steak (35.00) and it was very good. We will not go back. We did ask for a manager and it took quite a while but he finally came over. Also, they charge for valet and with the price of meals we were not happy about that either. Not a good experience.
- Took over 2 hours-Won't go backLaurieMarieDined on 4/19/2014We were seated at 7pm, the time of our reservation. Our food didn't arrive until about 9:15pm. Apparently the kitchen was overwhelmed by a wedding reception. It was so loud, we had a hard time carrying on a conversation at our table. We were given an appetizer and a round of drinks at no charge (this was only offered AFTER we had to ask how much longer it would be before our food was served as we were about to leave and go elsewhere) but that really wasn't enough to make up for the excruciatingly long wait time. At the very least, we should have been given a significant discount on our bill. While the food was good, it wasn't good enough to offset the long wait and lack of concern by the staff/management about the wait time.
- Excellent Service!HoneymoonersDined on 4/11/2014My new wife and our three kids went for dinner after our beach wedding. We need to move up our reservation by almost an hour, they found a way to accommodate us. Once we arrived the staff was friendly and very helpful, management surprised us with complimentary champagne. The food was wonderful, the chocolate lava cake is a must! If you are anywhere near the Black Palm do yourself a favour and join them for dinner!!Special Features:
- Up and DownKaseyVIPDined on 4/10/2014Drinks were very wak, calamari was excellent, entrees were goof, but not great. Service was a bit overbearing. We will try it again because they seem to be trying to improve.Special Features:
- Sangria & Tapas good, Service greatChr15VIPDined on 4/9/2014While we really enjoyed our food and Sangria, the real gem was the service we received from Lorelai. She is a fantastic server, extremely attentive and personable. Her service made the food better, the night a joy and place we will remember to return to as long as she is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okAlexDined on 4/5/2014We were a group. The restaurant was not full and the service slow for the amount of people in the restaurant the food was ok. The servers were all very attentive.Special Features:
- GREAT ResturantMicheleDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed dining at the Black Palm. Food and service was impeccable. It is a place that I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great treasure of Tampa BayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Still the great restaurant it was before with a fabulous new location and decor. Same wonderful food with the owner's eye for making each meal special. The owner made a point of walking the tables to personally check on his patrons. We were past patrons And can honestly say we LOVE IT even more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Black Palm is outstandingHumarockDined on 3/28/2014We have been going to Black Palm every spring for years and at first were disappointed to find out they moved. This year we were in St Pete for 2 weeks in March and went to the new Black Palm three times. My wife and I went on a week-night for dinner and our meals were outstanding, she ordered her favorite dish the Chilean Sea Bass and said it even better at the new location. I had the marinated tenderloin tips they were great. We went back another night for happy hour drinks and small plates. Our last night in St Pete we brought my wife’s sister and her husband with us. They live locally and will be returning soon. The staff was outstanding Lee and Eric were our waiters on our multiple visits and couldn’t have been move helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas and HistoryJacappaDined on 3/28/2014The Black Palm was celebrating its one month anniversary in this new and historic location. A former prohibition speak easy with visitors such as Marylin Monroe and Babe Ruth. Recently renovated to still hold the original charm, the menu is fantasist and delicious. We tried several choices from the tapas menu and enjoyed a few of the signature coctails. Everything was very good. My only suggestion is to re-think the team service approach. One wait person and one food runner would have been enough. We had a team of two wait staff who didn't seem to communicate well and it became a bit repetitive. Overall, a great find and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great South American CuisineCandaDined on 3/20/2014Excellent and Original Paella highlights a menu of South American dishes that the Black Palm excels at. It's in a neighborhood of high end and historic homes, so the ride there is fun, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeLiberaVIPDined on 3/4/2014Black Palm is in a lovely new building on Park St. The staff is very welcoming. We started with empanadas and rollito de carne, both excellent. For our entree we split a paella; loaded with fresh calamari, shrimp, scallops, salmon, mussels, peas; we added chorizo, which spiced it up nicely. Could have used a bit more saffron orzo due to the large amount of seafood (orzo used in lieu of rice per the chef's preference). The wines were also very good; an Allan Scott Sauvignon Blanc, and the house sangria, made with cinnamon and fresh fruit. We will definitely return, perhaps on a night with music. Kudos to all staff and the chef...it's a warm, inviting, tasty place, better than ANY of the Latin restaurants we've been to in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.