814 S. Bond Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackolive.com/
- Phone: 4102767141x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:00PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm ?9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Pauline Spiliadis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Black Olive has four private rooms on premises. Additionally, our exclusive wine cellar and outdoor seating area are available for private gatherings. Our restaurant is eager to accomodate special needs and menu requests. We look forward to helping you create a successful event.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Fulco 8886520415
- Special Events: The Black Olive restaurant opened its doors in 1997 after renovating a Fell’s Point row house that had been vacant for years. Over the years the restaurant grew and became a Baltimore institution. In the early days of the restaurant, on the back patio, where the view of the Inner Harbor and Harbor East reminded one of the histories of a city, a dream was hatched.
In the summer of 2010 that dream becomes a reality. The new Inn at the Black Olive, located on Caroline Street behind the original Black Olive restaurant will open its doors for business.
The Inn will have a market selling organic and sustainable fresh fruits and vegetables, wine, fresh seafood, foods prepared in the Black Olive kitchen, backed goods from a new bakery, suites for guests to spend the night with us, a rooftop café and wine bar that can be used for private events.
A word from Black Olive
The Black Olive is a Psarotaverna which is a Greek fish tavern set in the historic Baltimore neighborhood of Fells Point. We specialize in Mediterranean seafood such a whole fish; grilled and fileting at tableside. We also offer traditonal Greek dishes, housemade breads and desserts. Enjoy signature items such as our Village Pie, Grilled Octupus salad, Rack of Lamb ,grilled Filet Mignon or our fresh Dover Sole prepared to your liking. Pair your entree with international wines carefully selected by our sommelier ranging from California, New Zealand, and showcasing beautiful small vineyards from Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (67)neighborhood gem (62)romantic (56)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Amazing FishnlbjorkDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed fresh, wild caught fish grilled simply and fileted table side. How wonderful and delicious. We also love the organic options!Special Features:
- Quaint, quiet and classdnc5678Dined on 8/23/2014Was referred by a friend on a recent business trip to Baltimore. Booked a 7pm reservation and was excited it was walking distance from my hotel so I could see more of the city. The staff was excellent from the "fish tour" to making menu recommendations. Superb wine list and quaint ambiance with a mix of tradition and hip. Had the crab cakes ( gluten free btw) octopus and Sheep cheese wrapped in grape leaves. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.... So So servicefoodnutDined on 8/15/2014I have been several times to this restaurant but this time the service was not to par. Waiter not focused and not attentive enough for this kind of establishment. Food was great as usual and the atmosphere is great. We sat in the outside patio which I recommend weather permitting. Can't say enough for the food, including the vegetarian choice which was excellent. If you want a real good meal, great fresh fish this is the place to come in Fells Point. I hope the service issue will be fixed soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but the server.....OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/14/2014Lunch was great, every visit has been. But our server was slow and not very attentive, even though there were only four tables seated for lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014Best fish restaurant in Baltimore! Dover sole- perfect Fish soup - good but a little bland The atmosphere is calm and beautiful and because of the freshness of the fish and the wide selection this is the perfect place to take someone who isn't crazy about dish. They'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing21224Dined on 8/9/2014The food here is very good, but the table service was poor. The Mediterranean sea bass was cooked excellent, but there were very limited options for side dishes with the meal. The choice was corn or a remoulade that was loaded with onions. We had been here before and expected better service and more options with the meal.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was great, especially the stuff calamari pieces. A nice wine list and to top it off, the service was friendly and timely. Great find!Special Features:
- Could not be betterFoodEnthusiastDined on 8/8/2014Six of us chose this restaurant to have a get together. We were not prepared for the experience. The waiter took us on a "fish tour" to view our choices for seafood. Then we ordered. Everything for everyone was more than we expected. It was fantastic. Seating is comfortable. Service was impeccable. Each dish was delicious. The owners stopped by to make sure we were happy....we were. All of us have made note of this place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fells Point gemJimVDined on 8/7/2014We had a great meal at Black Olive under the grape arbor...the fresh fish was fantastic as were the bread and appetizers. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Outstanding PickSkipVIPDined on 7/28/2014Although a bit out of the way from the Convention Center, it was well worth the trip. Located in a remarkably restored mill or factory, the architecture was beautiful. The service was wonderful. The food was exquisite and abundant. The menu options were varied for both vegetarians and carnivores alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014The food was ok but a disappointment based on our expectations. We had crab cakes which were high quality but cold. The server said a back up in kitchen.Service decent but inconsistent. Big problem was we nearly froze to death. They tried to warm the room up to little avail. We would not go back to this restaurant.
- Horrible ServiceCaramanDined on 7/28/2014We were there on a Monday night-it was not busy at all, yet the service was horrible! We had to wait to be greeted by the waiter, we had to ask the bus boy for bread plates and water. It took forever to get our food. To make matters worse, the owner came outside to one of the three tables to make sure they were okay, but did not check in on our table or the other table. How rude! We were ignored for quite a while-so long that I had to ask the bus boy for the check. It never came. So I had to actually go inside and ask the hostess to get our waiter to bring our check. No one came to apologize (hint:owner); they didn't offer to take anything off the bill. Horrible service-miserable people. Will never recommend this place to anyone. Ever.
- Great food, good service, but loud!foodie4everVIPDined on 7/26/2014The octopus salad and grilled shrimp appetizers were outstanding as were the Dover sole and scallop kebab. The baklava was just the right sweetness and the carrot cake was good. Service improved since last week when over 30 minutes elapsed between appetizer and entree. There were two larger tables with very loud gentlemen who were oblivious to their ability to obliterate the quieter conversations attempted around them. The restaurant is a bit chilly in the front and we were offered the chance to move in the midst of our entrees but declined in hopes that the noise level would fade-to our chagrin it did not and we had to recall our attempts to communicate in the ride home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HappyEaterDined on 7/26/2014If you are looking for a romantic night out and some amazing seafood, this is it. The service is strong as well as the ambiance. Just beware is you get what you pay for, meaning the food is pricey but worth every penny. Also, I highly suggest the trademarked Baklava Ice Cream!Special Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Compared to the other many restaurants in Baltimore in the same price range, the Black Olive was not good. The service was great. The restaurant was pretty. The food was completely unnoteworthy. I have personally not made at home on a Wednesday night after a long day at work a meal as bland as the meals ( I tasted my wife's) we ate at the Black Olive. Which is sad. I have never given a negative review before. And hope to never again. This review is a warning: to the diner- you will be wasting your money; to the restaurant- do better.
- Always wonderfulkaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was not our first time and, again, we were not disappointed. The food and the service were A1. The next time we're in Baltimore, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Resturant Grand Food BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Server was polite, but hardly knowledgeable. Usually when we go to a nice place, regardless of the food, the servers tend to be very knowledgeable about the dishes and wine. This kid could not pronounce the wine or some of the dishes. Food was ok. Not bad but not wow... hardly good. Fish was tasty but the skin was soggy and not crisp. Wife had the lamb/couscous. It was bland and the couscous was unseasoned. The "chefs side" (your only choice) was lightly seasoned potatoes and totally boring. Not even an onion or pepper or something else in it. Loukomades were hard and NOT Greek Loukomades. Over all it was not a terrible experience, and staff was very nice. But it just wasn't a meal worth $100 and really under wow'ed. It was just ok.
- DeliciousloveitDined on 7/23/2014Everything was superb and the staff provided exceptional service. Would recommend for any special occasion. The tableside fillet was great. The wine was fabulous and we could not have asked for better service! The staff's knowledge of the food was top notch.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceLuv2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014After reviewing the restaurant's website which stressed the wine knowledge of the staff, they were unable to recommend a red wine in our price range for our meal. The first bottle offered was well above the price point we had set, and the second was not a good match to our entrees. When asked about it we were told by the server that the wine person and head chef were both not at the restaurant (on a Saturday night???) and no one in the kitchen knew anything about pairing wine with food. We settled for a decant bottle of white wine. The food itself was good, but could have shown a little more creativity. I'm not sure we will return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We were disappointed with the service. We had reservations, but they could not seat us for 20 minutes. We sat at the bar for 15 minutes before we were asked what drinks we would like. Once at the table, the service was not stellar either. We felt as if our patronage was not appreciated. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerKatieDined on 7/19/2014Our second time at the Black Olive and it once again did not disappoint. The fish - Mediterranean sea bass - was fabulous - and the surprise of the day was the vegetable of the day the most delicious beets (and I am not a beets fan) I have ever eaten. A great dinner and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First bad experience at Black OliveRogarDined on 7/17/2014I have been going to the Black Olive for 15 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. I have been there at least 30 times. The waitress was really terrible. She was pushy, rude and unhelpful. Her goal seemed to be to make us leave. She complained that we were discussing business at lunch. I ordede two very simple dishes--the Greek salad and the sardines . The portion of the salad was very smal, the vegetables were old and soft and the feta cheese was flavorless--not the pungent, crumbly kind they used to serve. I love fresh sardines. These were dries out and odd tasting, difficult to eat. Maybe they were from a can. Hoping this was an exception. Otherwise the Black Olive is going to disappear. Maybe thechef was on vacation?
- Still outstanding.LeeFVIPDined on 7/13/2014We used to visit Black Olive for special occassions when we lived in Baltimore. Returned there while driving back to Philly. The food remains outstanding. Unlike the reviews on yelp, the service was extremely attentive. Best fish we have had in a long time. Kudos to the Black Olive for maintaining their standards.Special Features:
- A must if you are in Baltimore areaShadowDined on 7/12/2014Black Olive is a phenomenal dining experience that is now a must for us when in Baltimore area. The inside ambience is lovely and back patio is also a special spot. We enjoyed fresh incredibly tasty dips and a giant sampler of grilled seafood delights for shared appetizers and chose our entries after viewing fresh fish of the day displayed on ice. The white wine from Greece that was recommended by our server complimented the meal perfectly. My family (ages 59 to 14) loved everything about it both times. Great spot for romantic date or group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor customer serviceRKMM2VIPDined on 7/12/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and this time will be our last. We had to wait well over an hour to receive out entree. We offered a complaint to this manner which was not appropriately addressed by the on site owner/manager. The food was great and our waitress was excellent. Customer service is non existent !
- Great, quiet spot in Fells PointTryingNewPlacesDined on 6/29/2014This was an amazing find! Definitely worth taking the "fish tour" to see for yourself what they have on ice. All of the seafood looked fresh in the case. Service was wonderful with a very friendly, helpful waitress named Trinya. The restaurant is on a quite part of Bond Street in Fells Point just off the very busy, noisy main square and streets. It's an old townhouse with stucco and exposed beams inside and tasteful decor. We sat inside but they do have a nice-looking outdoor seating area in the back. Food was great: started with grilled stuffed calamari and then both got our own grilled whole fish. Waitress expertly filleted them at the table. All food (including hot, homemade bread) was amazing. They keep it simple and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunchTheo529Dined on 6/27/2014We were in town on our wedding anniversary and wanted someplace to celebrate over lunch. We chose The Black Olive on the recommendation of a friend and it was a wonderful choice. The quiet, intimate setting was perfect for us. The food was excellent and service was warm, personable, prompt and efficient. Made for a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Superb FishrussellVIPDined on 6/24/2014Just Phenomenal fresh fish, prepared simply but perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dinnerJudyDined on 6/24/2014We were at a conference at a large Inner Harbor hotel and wanted a local, quiet seafood place in walking distance. This Fells Point gem hit all of the marks. Great bar, great service and wonderful fresh seafood. Quiet outdoor seating under a grape arbor. Fish soup was super fresh, and delicious. Service was prompt but not pushy. Highly recommend it and would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Fantastic all around.DannyDined on 6/24/2014Best of Baltimore in my opinion. We loved it and will visit every time we are in town. Yes it's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaceyDined on 6/22/2014Have eaten lunch here a number of times but this was our first dinner. The food was delicious and the service great. Wait staff was very helpful in making suggestions and explaining items. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkAcecee8Dined on 6/18/2014I felt uncomfortable with how the people acted when we entered the restaurant. My date was dressed nicely. I had a black polo tshirt and some nice jeans on. We were seated immediately but it took at least nine minutes before we got water and then we finally met the waitress. Like what are they doing in here. My mood had shifted negatively by then. The waitress was nice. We both ordered fish. My dates fish was excellent. Mine was ok. There was not a good food with the fish. Lemon and apples mostly. I had to hit up a royal farm for fries on the way home. If u get the 30 dollar fish, u may need to buy a side. If your not rich and the right color it's questionable if you will feel welcome or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 6/18/2014We enjoyed another delicious dinner at the Black Olive. Food was excellent; however, our greeter seemed to not have our reservation in his book and service was not up to par. Also, temperature in front room was unnecesarily warm and sticky.
- Outstanding EveningVictorDined on 6/14/2014Excellent, Fresh seafood choices. Fish is grilled whole and filleted at the table. The whole dining experience is relaxed and comfortable and the owner enjoys providing an overview of fresh fish choice in the area where the fish are on ice, starting with firm / oily to flaky / least oily - he enjoys his work! The Black Olive is great for those special occasions or just a relaxing, comprehensive dinner without being rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- June 2014ReviewsDined on 6/14/2014I love dining at The Black Olive, and have eaten here at least a dozen times. However, on this occasion, the waiter was not very skilled and my Dover Sole was served cold. Very disappointing considering it is one of the most expensive dining options in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!JayneDined on 6/12/2014Wonderful service and delicious food on a quiet Thursday evening. Had crab cake small plate and sauteed St. Peter's fish, both perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- Delicious!FrauCVIPDined on 6/9/2014We had the grilled octopus salad, stuffed kalamari, grilled sardines and the village salad as appetizers. Then we each had one of the fish as our entree: black fish, porgy, and the Dover sole (this one was expensive!!) They were all well prepared: moist, flavorful, with a delicious sauce. We ended with baklava, strawberry-ouzo sorbet, and carrot cake. Yummy! We had a nice chat with the owners who are very friendly. Great evening.Special Features:
- Tasty food; need filleting lessonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Apps were excellent. Our main courses were well prepared; but you might want to request easy on the butter/oil if you are watching your weight. We ordered blackfish which was delicious and perfectly prepared. Unfortunately the very charming and pleasant server was unable to filet it properly and we ended up with two piles of small fish flakes and chunks instead of two filets. Really ruined the $60 fish for us. Suggestion to owner: if a fish can not properly be filleted table-side, skip the pomp and filet it in the kitchen. I'd rather have a properly presented piece of fish than a show ending in a pile of mush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, amazingly prepared!foodnutDined on 6/8/2014This was one of those few meals when it is hard too decide which of what you ate was your favorite... was it the Octopus? the calamari? the fish? the olives? the bread? This is real fine dining at it's best, and every penny you pay is way worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fish!MichelleDined on 6/8/2014This is the place in Baltimore to go for fresh fish! Recommend getting the fish cooked the way the restaurant suggests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.