814 S. Bond Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackolive.com/
- Phone: 4102767141x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:00PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm ?9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Pauline Spiliadis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Black Olive has four private rooms on premises. Additionally, our exclusive wine cellar and outdoor seating area are available for private gatherings. Our restaurant is eager to accomodate special needs and menu requests. We look forward to helping you create a successful event.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Fulco 4102767141
- Special Events: The Black Olive restaurant opened its doors in 1997 after renovating a Fell’s Point row house that had been vacant for years. Over the years the restaurant grew and became a Baltimore institution. In the early days of the restaurant, on the back patio, where the view of the Inner Harbor and Harbor East reminded one of the histories of a city, a dream was hatched.
In the summer of 2010 that dream becomes a reality. The new Inn at the Black Olive, located on Caroline Street behind the original Black Olive restaurant will open its doors for business.
The Inn will have a market selling organic and sustainable fresh fruits and vegetables, wine, fresh seafood, foods prepared in the Black Olive kitchen, backed goods from a new bakery, suites for guests to spend the night with us, a rooftop café and wine bar that can be used for private events.
A word from Black Olive
The Black Olive is a Psarotaverna which is a Greek fish tavern set in the historic Baltimore neighborhood of Fells Point. We specialize in Mediterranean seafood such a whole fish; grilled and fileting at tableside. We also offer traditonal Greek dishes, housemade breads and desserts. Enjoy signature items such as our Village Pie, Grilled Octupus salad, Rack of Lamb ,grilled Filet Mignon or our fresh Dover Sole prepared to your liking. Pair your entree with international wines carefully selected by our sommelier ranging from California, New Zealand, and showcasing beautiful small vineyards from Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (58)romantic (51)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fresh from the ChesapeakeMimosamamaDined on 9/14/2014We were looking for a seafood restaurant on a Sunday night in Baltimore prior to a baseball game. We chose Black Olive because it was in walking distance and had small plates. The scallops, crab cake and octopus salad were so fresh and delicious. We also had a savory bread pudding which was quite tasty. I think that our choice of 4 small plates was the perfect amount for 2 persons. We also enjoyed their freshly baked bread with herbed olive oil. The wine selections included Greek varieties as well as domestic and European, and I really enjoyed the Greek Sauvignon Blanc blend that I selected. My husband had a Greek Rose and a red which he liked. The service was a bit slow but we had time and it was not a problem. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fish around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014This is the third time at Black Olive. It has been excellent every time. The fish dishes are incredible! Grilled whole and fileted at your table. Greek seasoning brings the flavor out of everything. Nice wine selection, and they make a great martini using very good micro distillery vodka. Great meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but very pricey.HonHstreetDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service but at $50 for a seafood entrée this place is only for special occasions.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceCherVIPDined on 9/12/2014When server Elle offered to give us a tour of the fresh catch of the day, I was hooked. They had an amazing choice of whole fishes, shellfish and octopus. We chose the octopus salad, prepared grilled with capers, lemon and oil, grilled prawns and rockfish filet. The wines by the glass were limited but good. Great location in Fells Point. A real "find"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Black OliveJoeLes1973Dined on 9/6/2014We loved our dinner at The Black Olive. It was my birthday and I have always heard good things about the restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food, the service and the staff were outstanding. They made us feel special and were very accommodating. They gave us a nice table for 2 looking out at a pretty little street in Fells Point. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and we will definitely return to the Black Olive again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Black OliveBillDined on 9/5/2014For our anniversary, we decided to go to Black Olive since we were staying downtown in Harbor East. The restaurant had a great ambiance, wonderful and authentic Greek menu selection, and a great wait staff. The owner came over and explained the origin behind the Black Olive and was charming. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingjustforreviewDined on 9/5/2014This is the fifth time I've been to Black Olive. We usually go for special occasions because it is a bit out of our price range. It is always delicious!! This time I had the zucchini cheese appetizer and I haven't stopped thinking/talking about it since! Everything else was great, too, but that appetizer will bring me back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- variable dining experiencemergatroydDined on 9/5/2014The food at lunchtime has been great. It was only so-so for dinner.Special Features:
- Greek Gemfoodie4twoDined on 9/2/2014Cute little neighborhood, great food and service. Perfect for a date night or just catching up with friends. We ended up ordering a bunch of small plates and sampling a variety of foods. Food was great, dessert was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedVIPDined on 9/2/2014Just an awesome place. Fantastic food, great service. Good folks.Special Features:
- incredible dining.dinner4twoDined on 8/30/2014Dinner was amazing. food was exceptional! Customer service. ...impeccable. Will definitely be going back. Ambiance romantic. Perfect for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackVIPDined on 8/30/2014Somewhat slow on the service. Had to wait 10 min to get out water and drink orders in the beginning and waited or had to ask to get wine poured. Fish was very good, veggies on the side were bland, old and soft. Reine de Saba cake was outstanding but not enough to raise the overall rating. Also, does not have a full bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappearing WaiterSus3Dined on 8/30/2014The service was poor, on numerous occasions we had to ask someone to please get our waiter.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Waitress was extremely pleasant and the fish was delicious.
- Fresh fish dinnerBanashreeVIPDined on 8/29/2014Grilled sardine in grape leaves as appetizer and St.Peter fish were well prepared and very tasty. Although the amount of food is not large given the $$$. Service was friendly but kitchen took a long time to prepare our dishes although the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Amazing FishnlbjorkDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed fresh, wild caught fish grilled simply and fileted table side. How wonderful and delicious. We also love the organic options!Special Features:
- Quaint, quiet and classdnc5678Dined on 8/23/2014Was referred by a friend on a recent business trip to Baltimore. Booked a 7pm reservation and was excited it was walking distance from my hotel so I could see more of the city. The staff was excellent from the "fish tour" to making menu recommendations. Superb wine list and quaint ambiance with a mix of tradition and hip. Had the crab cakes ( gluten free btw) octopus and Sheep cheese wrapped in grape leaves. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.... So So servicefoodnutDined on 8/15/2014I have been several times to this restaurant but this time the service was not to par. Waiter not focused and not attentive enough for this kind of establishment. Food was great as usual and the atmosphere is great. We sat in the outside patio which I recommend weather permitting. Can't say enough for the food, including the vegetarian choice which was excellent. If you want a real good meal, great fresh fish this is the place to come in Fells Point. I hope the service issue will be fixed soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but the server.....OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/14/2014Lunch was great, every visit has been. But our server was slow and not very attentive, even though there were only four tables seated for lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014Best fish restaurant in Baltimore! Dover sole- perfect Fish soup - good but a little bland The atmosphere is calm and beautiful and because of the freshness of the fish and the wide selection this is the perfect place to take someone who isn't crazy about dish. They'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing21224Dined on 8/9/2014The food here is very good, but the table service was poor. The Mediterranean sea bass was cooked excellent, but there were very limited options for side dishes with the meal. The choice was corn or a remoulade that was loaded with onions. We had been here before and expected better service and more options with the meal.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was great, especially the stuff calamari pieces. A nice wine list and to top it off, the service was friendly and timely. Great find!Special Features:
- Could not be betterFoodEnthusiastDined on 8/8/2014Six of us chose this restaurant to have a get together. We were not prepared for the experience. The waiter took us on a "fish tour" to view our choices for seafood. Then we ordered. Everything for everyone was more than we expected. It was fantastic. Seating is comfortable. Service was impeccable. Each dish was delicious. The owners stopped by to make sure we were happy....we were. All of us have made note of this place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fells Point gemJimVDined on 8/7/2014We had a great meal at Black Olive under the grape arbor...the fresh fish was fantastic as were the bread and appetizers. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Outstanding PickSkipVIPDined on 7/28/2014Although a bit out of the way from the Convention Center, it was well worth the trip. Located in a remarkably restored mill or factory, the architecture was beautiful. The service was wonderful. The food was exquisite and abundant. The menu options were varied for both vegetarians and carnivores alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014The food was ok but a disappointment based on our expectations. We had crab cakes which were high quality but cold. The server said a back up in kitchen.Service decent but inconsistent. Big problem was we nearly froze to death. They tried to warm the room up to little avail. We would not go back to this restaurant.
- Horrible ServiceCaramanDined on 7/28/2014We were there on a Monday night-it was not busy at all, yet the service was horrible! We had to wait to be greeted by the waiter, we had to ask the bus boy for bread plates and water. It took forever to get our food. To make matters worse, the owner came outside to one of the three tables to make sure they were okay, but did not check in on our table or the other table. How rude! We were ignored for quite a while-so long that I had to ask the bus boy for the check. It never came. So I had to actually go inside and ask the hostess to get our waiter to bring our check. No one came to apologize (hint:owner); they didn't offer to take anything off the bill. Horrible service-miserable people. Will never recommend this place to anyone. Ever.
- Great food, good service, but loud!foodie4everVIPDined on 7/26/2014The octopus salad and grilled shrimp appetizers were outstanding as were the Dover sole and scallop kebab. The baklava was just the right sweetness and the carrot cake was good. Service improved since last week when over 30 minutes elapsed between appetizer and entree. There were two larger tables with very loud gentlemen who were oblivious to their ability to obliterate the quieter conversations attempted around them. The restaurant is a bit chilly in the front and we were offered the chance to move in the midst of our entrees but declined in hopes that the noise level would fade-to our chagrin it did not and we had to recall our attempts to communicate in the ride home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HappyEaterDined on 7/26/2014If you are looking for a romantic night out and some amazing seafood, this is it. The service is strong as well as the ambiance. Just beware is you get what you pay for, meaning the food is pricey but worth every penny. Also, I highly suggest the trademarked Baklava Ice Cream!Special Features:
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Compared to the other many restaurants in Baltimore in the same price range, the Black Olive was not good. The service was great. The restaurant was pretty. The food was completely unnoteworthy. I have personally not made at home on a Wednesday night after a long day at work a meal as bland as the meals ( I tasted my wife's) we ate at the Black Olive. Which is sad. I have never given a negative review before. And hope to never again. This review is a warning: to the diner- you will be wasting your money; to the restaurant- do better.
- Always wonderfulkaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was not our first time and, again, we were not disappointed. The food and the service were A1. The next time we're in Baltimore, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Resturant Grand Food BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Server was polite, but hardly knowledgeable. Usually when we go to a nice place, regardless of the food, the servers tend to be very knowledgeable about the dishes and wine. This kid could not pronounce the wine or some of the dishes. Food was ok. Not bad but not wow... hardly good. Fish was tasty but the skin was soggy and not crisp. Wife had the lamb/couscous. It was bland and the couscous was unseasoned. The "chefs side" (your only choice) was lightly seasoned potatoes and totally boring. Not even an onion or pepper or something else in it. Loukomades were hard and NOT Greek Loukomades. Over all it was not a terrible experience, and staff was very nice. But it just wasn't a meal worth $100 and really under wow'ed. It was just ok.
- DeliciousloveitDined on 7/23/2014Everything was superb and the staff provided exceptional service. Would recommend for any special occasion. The tableside fillet was great. The wine was fabulous and we could not have asked for better service! The staff's knowledge of the food was top notch.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceLuv2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014After reviewing the restaurant's website which stressed the wine knowledge of the staff, they were unable to recommend a red wine in our price range for our meal. The first bottle offered was well above the price point we had set, and the second was not a good match to our entrees. When asked about it we were told by the server that the wine person and head chef were both not at the restaurant (on a Saturday night???) and no one in the kitchen knew anything about pairing wine with food. We settled for a decant bottle of white wine. The food itself was good, but could have shown a little more creativity. I'm not sure we will return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We were disappointed with the service. We had reservations, but they could not seat us for 20 minutes. We sat at the bar for 15 minutes before we were asked what drinks we would like. Once at the table, the service was not stellar either. We felt as if our patronage was not appreciated. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerKatieDined on 7/19/2014Our second time at the Black Olive and it once again did not disappoint. The fish - Mediterranean sea bass - was fabulous - and the surprise of the day was the vegetable of the day the most delicious beets (and I am not a beets fan) I have ever eaten. A great dinner and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First bad experience at Black OliveRogarDined on 7/17/2014I have been going to the Black Olive for 15 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. I have been there at least 30 times. The waitress was really terrible. She was pushy, rude and unhelpful. Her goal seemed to be to make us leave. She complained that we were discussing business at lunch. I ordede two very simple dishes--the Greek salad and the sardines . The portion of the salad was very smal, the vegetables were old and soft and the feta cheese was flavorless--not the pungent, crumbly kind they used to serve. I love fresh sardines. These were dries out and odd tasting, difficult to eat. Maybe they were from a can. Hoping this was an exception. Otherwise the Black Olive is going to disappear. Maybe thechef was on vacation?
- Still outstanding.LeeFVIPDined on 7/13/2014We used to visit Black Olive for special occassions when we lived in Baltimore. Returned there while driving back to Philly. The food remains outstanding. Unlike the reviews on yelp, the service was extremely attentive. Best fish we have had in a long time. Kudos to the Black Olive for maintaining their standards.Special Features:
- A must if you are in Baltimore areaShadowDined on 7/12/2014Black Olive is a phenomenal dining experience that is now a must for us when in Baltimore area. The inside ambience is lovely and back patio is also a special spot. We enjoyed fresh incredibly tasty dips and a giant sampler of grilled seafood delights for shared appetizers and chose our entries after viewing fresh fish of the day displayed on ice. The white wine from Greece that was recommended by our server complimented the meal perfectly. My family (ages 59 to 14) loved everything about it both times. Great spot for romantic date or group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor customer serviceRKMM2VIPDined on 7/12/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and this time will be our last. We had to wait well over an hour to receive out entree. We offered a complaint to this manner which was not appropriately addressed by the on site owner/manager. The food was great and our waitress was excellent. Customer service is non existent !