814 S. Bond Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackolive.com/
- Phone: 4102767141x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:00PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm ?9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Pauline Spiliadis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Black Olive has four private rooms on premises. Additionally, our exclusive wine cellar and outdoor seating area are available for private gatherings. Our restaurant is eager to accomodate special needs and menu requests. We look forward to helping you create a successful event.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Fulco 4102767141
- Special Events: The Black Olive restaurant opened its doors in 1997 after renovating a Fell’s Point row house that had been vacant for years. Over the years the restaurant grew and became a Baltimore institution. In the early days of the restaurant, on the back patio, where the view of the Inner Harbor and Harbor East reminded one of the histories of a city, a dream was hatched.
In the summer of 2010 that dream becomes a reality. The new Inn at the Black Olive, located on Caroline Street behind the original Black Olive restaurant will open its doors for business.
The Inn will have a market selling organic and sustainable fresh fruits and vegetables, wine, fresh seafood, foods prepared in the Black Olive kitchen, backed goods from a new bakery, suites for guests to spend the night with us, a rooftop café and wine bar that can be used for private events.
A word from Black Olive
The Black Olive is a Psarotaverna which is a Greek fish tavern set in the historic Baltimore neighborhood of Fells Point. We specialize in Mediterranean seafood such a whole fish; grilled and fileting at tableside. We also offer traditonal Greek dishes, housemade breads and desserts. Enjoy signature items such as our Village Pie, Grilled Octupus salad, Rack of Lamb ,grilled Filet Mignon or our fresh Dover Sole prepared to your liking. Pair your entree with international wines carefully selected by our sommelier ranging from California, New Zealand, and showcasing beautiful small vineyards from Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (54)romantic (48)notable wine list (25)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Seafood rules here!SusanDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal here. The grilled octopus salad starter was simply the best! My husband also ordered a few oysters and raved. For the main course we enjoyed the branzino and St. Peter's fish. Again, two wonderful entrees. Wait staff and bartender were very friendly and attentive. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the fishBWDoverDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed the fish selection and it's preparation . The service was professional and friendly. Many of the wines were fron Greece but all that we tried were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our 4 year anniversary date. It was the perfect spot. Great venue/decor, fantastic service, delicious food, and great wine, all on a quite street just off of the square in Fells Point.Special Features:
- Outdoor diningfoodnutDined on 10/17/2014They have a nice patio (that could use some renovation). I have eaten at this place many times, the food is always good, service is average to below average sometimes, ambiance is good. It's not the first time we ate outside, it was dark outside and there is only one light from a ceiling fan. Seated at the end of the patio there was no light at all!!!. Had to use my phone light to see the food.... I come here for the food which was good. It is getting too expensive for the entire exprience. Perhaps this is the reason why this place seems less busy than used to a few years ago. Still a good place to eat fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodWallaceDined on 10/17/2014This is a charming restaurant with outstanding seafood, Greek dishes, and desserts. It is very well run, you always leave with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/13/2014Brought two guests to this favorite restaurant. Our waiter and the proprieter made our guests feel special, and we enjoyed a great meal. We shared mixed grill and hummus appetizers, followed by fresh fish entrees. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- Lovely, quaint restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014What a lovely restaurant. The bronzino was excellent. We started out on the outside patio which was beautiful but it got to be too chilly.Special Features:
- The Black OliveDiningFineDined on 10/4/2014Memories were made getting what the server called "the visual menu" as he showed us the fish and seafood case from which to choose. I've never had such delicious fish so well prepared in the kitchen then prepped so beautifully at our table. The wine suggested to go with the fish was just right for my husband and me. My husband's crab cakes were very good styled in the Greek fashion but he didn't like picking a little shell out of them. We thoroughly enjoyed the roasted cauliflower side dish, wanting to know how it was made. The diner across the room from us loudly annoyed at her companion was certainly an irritant to all of us in the room. It was challenging to find parking. But, we'd try again and voice concern about noise.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Great fresh food! Fish was outstanding; they only sell what it fresh that day. We had an appetizer platter with various Mediterranean spreads- each made in house and delicious! Spinach Pie was tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014The sevice was not that great because they were short staffed and maybe because we were the only table out by the alley? Ryan, who turned out to be the busboy was terrific and was doing his best. We didn't learn that he wasnt our server until being there almost 45 minutes. The manager or guy at the front desk did keep checking on us but no effort was made to comp anything or buy us a drink. I would have thought as expensive and nice as the Black Olive was that was a given. Maybe we should have expressed more displeasure. I had been there a few times during restaurant weeks. Given this experience, not worth the expense.
- Perfect grilled fishOysterDined on 9/22/2014I selected the grilled octopus appetizer and for the main course,grilled whole fish, Dorade Royale. Both were excellent. My wife ordered lamb chops which were grilled as ordered and not overly seasoned. We both felt our dinner was appropriately priced which only added to our satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014We love the Black Olive. The grilled shrimp are fabulous, as is the fish, the lamb, the salads, the deserts, absolutely everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martini!JenTDined on 9/18/2014Food was great and the cocktails outstanding! The ambiance and service were just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not coming backMarclawVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been dining at Black Olive for the last 6 or 7 years every time we are in town from Baltimore. This time, while the food was up to the establishment's usual standards, our meal was ruined by the absolutely atrocious service we experience. From the time we walked into the restaurant and the Manager tried to seat us at a table that might as well have been on the street to the 30 minute wait for our dessert, we were made to feel as if the Black Olive was doing us a favor by taking our money and allowing us to dine there. As good as the food here is, no meal is good enough to tolerate the bad service and the major attitude.
- Awfulipa10VIPDined on 9/18/2014The service was awful and the good was not very good
- Overpriced and mediocoreMetanoicDined on 9/17/2014Not a terrible place to have dinner but the prices are outrageous for what you get. $30-36 dollar entrees with little to no effort on presentation, no sides and less than impressive serving sizes left us disappointed in the end. I can say the same about the appetizers, lack of effort on presentation, high prices and small serving sizes. The quality of their food is a step above other restaurants but Black Olive falls short in all other categories.
- Fresh from the ChesapeakeMimosamamaDined on 9/14/2014We were looking for a seafood restaurant on a Sunday night in Baltimore prior to a baseball game. We chose Black Olive because it was in walking distance and had small plates. The scallops, crab cake and octopus salad were so fresh and delicious. We also had a savory bread pudding which was quite tasty. I think that our choice of 4 small plates was the perfect amount for 2 persons. We also enjoyed their freshly baked bread with herbed olive oil. The wine selections included Greek varieties as well as domestic and European, and I really enjoyed the Greek Sauvignon Blanc blend that I selected. My husband had a Greek Rose and a red which he liked. The service was a bit slow but we had time and it was not a problem. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fish around!SeafoodieDined on 9/13/2014This is the third time at Black Olive. It has been excellent every time. The fish dishes are incredible! Grilled whole and fileted at your table. Greek seasoning brings the flavor out of everything. Nice wine selection, and they make a great martini using very good micro distillery vodka. Great meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but very pricey.HonHstreetDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service but at $50 for a seafood entrée this place is only for special occasions.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceCherVIPDined on 9/12/2014When server Elle offered to give us a tour of the fresh catch of the day, I was hooked. They had an amazing choice of whole fishes, shellfish and octopus. We chose the octopus salad, prepared grilled with capers, lemon and oil, grilled prawns and rockfish filet. The wines by the glass were limited but good. Great location in Fells Point. A real "find"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Black OliveJoeLes1973Dined on 9/6/2014We loved our dinner at The Black Olive. It was my birthday and I have always heard good things about the restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food, the service and the staff were outstanding. They made us feel special and were very accommodating. They gave us a nice table for 2 looking out at a pretty little street in Fells Point. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and we will definitely return to the Black Olive again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Black OliveBillDined on 9/5/2014For our anniversary, we decided to go to Black Olive since we were staying downtown in Harbor East. The restaurant had a great ambiance, wonderful and authentic Greek menu selection, and a great wait staff. The owner came over and explained the origin behind the Black Olive and was charming. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingjustforreviewDined on 9/5/2014This is the fifth time I've been to Black Olive. We usually go for special occasions because it is a bit out of our price range. It is always delicious!! This time I had the zucchini cheese appetizer and I haven't stopped thinking/talking about it since! Everything else was great, too, but that appetizer will bring me back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- variable dining experiencemergatroydDined on 9/5/2014The food at lunchtime has been great. It was only so-so for dinner.Special Features:
- Greek Gemfoodie4twoDined on 9/2/2014Cute little neighborhood, great food and service. Perfect for a date night or just catching up with friends. We ended up ordering a bunch of small plates and sampling a variety of foods. Food was great, dessert was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedVIPDined on 9/2/2014Just an awesome place. Fantastic food, great service. Good folks.Special Features:
- incredible dining.dinner4twoDined on 8/30/2014Dinner was amazing. food was exceptional! Customer service. ...impeccable. Will definitely be going back. Ambiance romantic. Perfect for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackVIPDined on 8/30/2014Somewhat slow on the service. Had to wait 10 min to get out water and drink orders in the beginning and waited or had to ask to get wine poured. Fish was very good, veggies on the side were bland, old and soft. Reine de Saba cake was outstanding but not enough to raise the overall rating. Also, does not have a full bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappearing WaiterSus3Dined on 8/30/2014The service was poor, on numerous occasions we had to ask someone to please get our waiter.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Waitress was extremely pleasant and the fish was delicious.
- Fresh fish dinnerBanashreeVIPDined on 8/29/2014Grilled sardine in grape leaves as appetizer and St.Peter fish were well prepared and very tasty. Although the amount of food is not large given the $$$. Service was friendly but kitchen took a long time to prepare our dishes although the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Amazing FishnlbjorkDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed fresh, wild caught fish grilled simply and fileted table side. How wonderful and delicious. We also love the organic options!Special Features:
- Quaint, quiet and classdnc5678Dined on 8/23/2014Was referred by a friend on a recent business trip to Baltimore. Booked a 7pm reservation and was excited it was walking distance from my hotel so I could see more of the city. The staff was excellent from the "fish tour" to making menu recommendations. Superb wine list and quaint ambiance with a mix of tradition and hip. Had the crab cakes ( gluten free btw) octopus and Sheep cheese wrapped in grape leaves. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.... So So servicefoodnutDined on 8/15/2014I have been several times to this restaurant but this time the service was not to par. Waiter not focused and not attentive enough for this kind of establishment. Food was great as usual and the atmosphere is great. We sat in the outside patio which I recommend weather permitting. Can't say enough for the food, including the vegetarian choice which was excellent. If you want a real good meal, great fresh fish this is the place to come in Fells Point. I hope the service issue will be fixed soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but the server.....OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/14/2014Lunch was great, every visit has been. But our server was slow and not very attentive, even though there were only four tables seated for lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014Best fish restaurant in Baltimore! Dover sole- perfect Fish soup - good but a little bland The atmosphere is calm and beautiful and because of the freshness of the fish and the wide selection this is the perfect place to take someone who isn't crazy about dish. They'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing21224Dined on 8/9/2014The food here is very good, but the table service was poor. The Mediterranean sea bass was cooked excellent, but there were very limited options for side dishes with the meal. The choice was corn or a remoulade that was loaded with onions. We had been here before and expected better service and more options with the meal.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was great, especially the stuff calamari pieces. A nice wine list and to top it off, the service was friendly and timely. Great find!Special Features:
- Could not be betterFoodEnthusiastDined on 8/8/2014Six of us chose this restaurant to have a get together. We were not prepared for the experience. The waiter took us on a "fish tour" to view our choices for seafood. Then we ordered. Everything for everyone was more than we expected. It was fantastic. Seating is comfortable. Service was impeccable. Each dish was delicious. The owners stopped by to make sure we were happy....we were. All of us have made note of this place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fells Point gemJimVDined on 8/7/2014We had a great meal at Black Olive under the grape arbor...the fresh fish was fantastic as were the bread and appetizers. Highly recommended.Special Features: