814 S. Bond Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackolive.com/
- Phone: (410) 276-7141
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:00PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm ?9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Pauline Spiliadis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Black Olive has four private rooms on premises. Additionally, our exclusive wine cellar and outdoor seating area are available for private gatherings. Our restaurant is eager to accomodate special needs and menu requests. We look forward to helping you create a successful event.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Fulco 4102767141
- Special Events: The Black Olive restaurant opened its doors in 1997 after renovating a Fell’s Point row house that had been vacant for years. Over the years the restaurant grew and became a Baltimore institution. In the early days of the restaurant, on the back patio, where the view of the Inner Harbor and Harbor East reminded one of the histories of a city, a dream was hatched.
In the summer of 2010 that dream becomes a reality. The new Inn at the Black Olive, located on Caroline Street behind the original Black Olive restaurant will open its doors for business.
The Inn will have a market selling organic and sustainable fresh fruits and vegetables, wine, fresh seafood, foods prepared in the Black Olive kitchen, backed goods from a new bakery, suites for guests to spend the night with us, a rooftop café and wine bar that can be used for private events.
A word from Black Olive
The Black Olive is a Psarotaverna which is a Greek fish tavern set in the historic Baltimore neighborhood of Fells Point. We specialize in Mediterranean seafood such a whole fish; grilled and fileting at tableside. We also offer traditonal Greek dishes, housemade breads and desserts. Enjoy signature items such as our Village Pie, Grilled Octupus salad, Rack of Lamb ,grilled Filet Mignon or our fresh Dover Sole prepared to your liking. Pair your entree with international wines carefully selected by our sommelier ranging from California, New Zealand, and showcasing beautiful small vineyards from Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (69)special occasion (59)romantic (50)notable wine list (28)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- One mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We've been here before and had a lovely dinner. This past weekend was no exception except for that my entrée of lobster kebab came out with two small, dry tasteless pieces of lobster drowning in a sea of grilled vegetables. I expected more for $40. Coffee and dessert were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentDonBDined on 11/22/2014The Black Olive is one of those restaurants where you can always count on excellent service, food and atmosphere. You can tell the owners take personal interest in, and are proud of, their restaurant. We keep coming back to the Black Olive time after time despite having to drive for an hour each way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, What a Meal!Peters11Dined on 11/22/2014The BEST rack of lamb ever eaten! Love the stroll to the food display case where our waiter explained all our options for the evening. Great service. Our waiter pampered us and had perfect timing throughout the evening's meal. Will return again next year when we make our annual trek to Baltimore! Hope you will still be serving Rack of Lamb and St. Peter's fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/22/2014Fantastic food, Superb Service, and the mouth-watering fish tour. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and delicious!SuebeeDined on 11/22/2014Everything was excellent. Highly recommend the corn meal crusted sautéed sea bass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Fun Night OutMeganVIPDined on 11/17/2014Just recently did a date night here and we loved it. My boyfriend is a seafood lover, so this was the perfect menu for him. The coolest part is the grilled whole fish section. They actually take you to where the fish are kept on ice so you can see for yourself which fish you want. Would definitely recommend doing that and doing the stuffed calamari for an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014This was our first time here. I loved the quaint old world feel/decor. The service was amazing. We had all looked at the menu and kind of decided what we were going to have until we were walked over to the fresh fish on ice and presentation of their other menu options all plated up to see. We all ended up getting the fish because who can resist freshly caught fish! We also did the appetizer w/all the Mediterranean dips - all amazing. We shared a couple bottles of wine, also great. The main course of fish was incredible! We finished with baklava, fried dough balls and baklava ice cream...all amazing of course! It was a 3 hour dinner but I didn't feel like it was too long, I felt like we were in Europe dining the way they do. I can't stop telling people about it, so I know it was truly amazing! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILL NEVER RETURNnw151718Dined on 11/15/2014Went with my dad, valet guy was the best part in my opinion. Food was overpriced & lacked significant flavor....i could have made better tasting items in my own kitchen!! Had a weird vibe that i didn't find appealing! Waiters were uptight & awkward....dining area was congested. WILL NOT BE RETURNING!!!!!Special Features:
- Good FindTimothyVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have been to the Black Olive a few times and left completely satisfied each time. I have never brought my wife. this occasion it was she and I. They seated us in the rear dining room (the more romantic room). Each one was most attentive from the moment we arrived, until we were completely done. the food has always been exceptional. We enjoyed ourselves for 2 hours 15minutes and never felt rushed. It's a must try.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a whilerubfellsVIPDined on 11/14/2014Our fish tasted so fresh and was prepared perfectly. Loved the broccoli that accompanied the meal. This was one of the best meals we have had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice evening at the Black OliveMoreBigCatDined on 11/13/2014Interesting concept of meals centered on whole fish. I liked seeing the fish in the cooler prior to making a decision on which fish to choose. Very good preperation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Baltimore's legendary restaurantsdisappointedVIPDined on 11/12/2014In a very competitive restaurant neighborhood, Fells Point, The Black Olive has not only survived, but has gotten better year after year. Our most recent experience impressed our Chicago cousins as much as it did us. Every aspect of the evening was great, topped off by a table side visit from the owner. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around great dinnerisitworthitDined on 11/8/2014Great food - appetizers and delicious fish, great ambiance both the neighborhood and inside the restaurant and great service - I spilled my cocktail and had a replacement within a minute. We had 7 in our party and all had a great time and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting DinnerFineDinerDined on 11/5/2014Our adult son chose this place for our family dinner on his birthday, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Some on-line reviews panned the food and service, some praised these same things. We ordered a variety of items -- the Black Olive seafood appetizer, crab cakes, steaks, fresh St. Peter's fish, large shrimp and lamb chops. Everyone was pleased with the taste and quality of the food. Service: friendly, low-key, out of our way but there when we needed it. Overall we had a pleasant night. We weren't in a hurry, but neither was the staff - no one pushed us to leave to turn the table over. Not a place for a quick dinner before theater unless you plan well - the time between courses is longer than normal so keep that in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black oliveTempoVIPDined on 11/3/2014Interesting restaurant. I enjoyed our time there and picking out our own fish was certainly unique. Service was slow but pleasant. Fish was very good- side vegetable was swiss chard without any particular interest.Special Features:
- A Baltimore culinary treasure!culinaryguruDined on 11/1/2014You approach the Black Olive on a quaint, cobblestone, Baltimore street. The elegant, wooden sign hangs on its wrought iron post. Inside you see contented faces glowing in warm light through the window. You enter a humble, clean, upscale grotto, greeted with smiles and are led past white linen tables. You are seated in comfortable, stylish chairs. Your waiter arrives smiling. You browse fascinating, organic, Greek wonders from the hearth far from your typical fare. Dinner arrives. Everything is perfect. Melts in your mouth. You cannot leave a crumb on any plate from appetizer to dessert. Your entire party is happy and wants to return as soon as possible. The Black Olive is a Baltimore culinary treasure not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor pre-show experiencemomto2inCuseDined on 10/24/2014We went to Black Olive before a show at the Landmark. We let our server know we had tickets and would need to move quickly. Everything started out great - we ordered the saganaki before we had our menus and that came out quickly and was delicious. But then we had to request menus twice, and after ordering, our server returned to let us know that the item that my husband ordered was not available, so we had to wait again. Once our food finally arrived (it was over 30 minutes between courses), it was clear that several dishes had been held while the final dish was cooking - my husband's food was hot, mine was lukewarm at best. The food, although the temperatures were inconsistent, was good -- but we had eat so quickly it was hard to taste.
- Seafood rules here!SusanDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal here. The grilled octopus salad starter was simply the best! My husband also ordered a few oysters and raved. For the main course we enjoyed the branzino and St. Peter's fish. Again, two wonderful entrees. Wait staff and bartender were very friendly and attentive. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the fishBWDoverDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed the fish selection and it's preparation . The service was professional and friendly. Many of the wines were fron Greece but all that we tried were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerFoodieAtHeartDined on 10/17/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our 4 year anniversary date. It was the perfect spot. Great venue/decor, fantastic service, delicious food, and great wine, all on a quite street just off of the square in Fells Point.Special Features:
- Outdoor diningfoodnutDined on 10/17/2014They have a nice patio (that could use some renovation). I have eaten at this place many times, the food is always good, service is average to below average sometimes, ambiance is good. It's not the first time we ate outside, it was dark outside and there is only one light from a ceiling fan. Seated at the end of the patio there was no light at all!!!. Had to use my phone light to see the food.... I come here for the food which was good. It is getting too expensive for the entire exprience. Perhaps this is the reason why this place seems less busy than used to a few years ago. Still a good place to eat fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodWallaceDined on 10/17/2014This is a charming restaurant with outstanding seafood, Greek dishes, and desserts. It is very well run, you always leave with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RupertVIPDined on 10/13/2014Brought two guests to this favorite restaurant. Our waiter and the proprieter made our guests feel special, and we enjoyed a great meal. We shared mixed grill and hummus appetizers, followed by fresh fish entrees. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- Lovely, quaint restaurantSusieQDined on 10/4/2014What a lovely restaurant. The bronzino was excellent. We started out on the outside patio which was beautiful but it got to be too chilly.Special Features:
- The Black OliveDiningFineDined on 10/4/2014Memories were made getting what the server called "the visual menu" as he showed us the fish and seafood case from which to choose. I've never had such delicious fish so well prepared in the kitchen then prepped so beautifully at our table. The wine suggested to go with the fish was just right for my husband and me. My husband's crab cakes were very good styled in the Greek fashion but he didn't like picking a little shell out of them. We thoroughly enjoyed the roasted cauliflower side dish, wanting to know how it was made. The diner across the room from us loudly annoyed at her companion was certainly an irritant to all of us in the room. It was challenging to find parking. But, we'd try again and voice concern about noise.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Great fresh food! Fish was outstanding; they only sell what it fresh that day. We had an appetizer platter with various Mediterranean spreads- each made in house and delicious! Spinach Pie was tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014The sevice was not that great because they were short staffed and maybe because we were the only table out by the alley? Ryan, who turned out to be the busboy was terrific and was doing his best. We didn't learn that he wasnt our server until being there almost 45 minutes. The manager or guy at the front desk did keep checking on us but no effort was made to comp anything or buy us a drink. I would have thought as expensive and nice as the Black Olive was that was a given. Maybe we should have expressed more displeasure. I had been there a few times during restaurant weeks. Given this experience, not worth the expense.
- Perfect grilled fishOysterDined on 9/22/2014I selected the grilled octopus appetizer and for the main course,grilled whole fish, Dorade Royale. Both were excellent. My wife ordered lamb chops which were grilled as ordered and not overly seasoned. We both felt our dinner was appropriately priced which only added to our satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014We love the Black Olive. The grilled shrimp are fabulous, as is the fish, the lamb, the salads, the deserts, absolutely everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martini!JenTDined on 9/18/2014Food was great and the cocktails outstanding! The ambiance and service were just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not coming backMarclawVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have been dining at Black Olive for the last 6 or 7 years every time we are in town from Baltimore. This time, while the food was up to the establishment's usual standards, our meal was ruined by the absolutely atrocious service we experience. From the time we walked into the restaurant and the Manager tried to seat us at a table that might as well have been on the street to the 30 minute wait for our dessert, we were made to feel as if the Black Olive was doing us a favor by taking our money and allowing us to dine there. As good as the food here is, no meal is good enough to tolerate the bad service and the major attitude.
- Awfulipa10VIPDined on 9/18/2014The service was awful and the good was not very good
- Overpriced and mediocoreMetanoicDined on 9/17/2014Not a terrible place to have dinner but the prices are outrageous for what you get. $30-36 dollar entrees with little to no effort on presentation, no sides and less than impressive serving sizes left us disappointed in the end. I can say the same about the appetizers, lack of effort on presentation, high prices and small serving sizes. The quality of their food is a step above other restaurants but Black Olive falls short in all other categories.
- Fresh from the ChesapeakeMimosamamaDined on 9/14/2014We were looking for a seafood restaurant on a Sunday night in Baltimore prior to a baseball game. We chose Black Olive because it was in walking distance and had small plates. The scallops, crab cake and octopus salad were so fresh and delicious. We also had a savory bread pudding which was quite tasty. I think that our choice of 4 small plates was the perfect amount for 2 persons. We also enjoyed their freshly baked bread with herbed olive oil. The wine selections included Greek varieties as well as domestic and European, and I really enjoyed the Greek Sauvignon Blanc blend that I selected. My husband had a Greek Rose and a red which he liked. The service was a bit slow but we had time and it was not a problem. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fish around!SeafoodieDined on 9/13/2014This is the third time at Black Olive. It has been excellent every time. The fish dishes are incredible! Grilled whole and fileted at your table. Greek seasoning brings the flavor out of everything. Nice wine selection, and they make a great martini using very good micro distillery vodka. Great meal every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but very pricey.HonHstreetDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service but at $50 for a seafood entrée this place is only for special occasions.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceCherVIPDined on 9/12/2014When server Elle offered to give us a tour of the fresh catch of the day, I was hooked. They had an amazing choice of whole fishes, shellfish and octopus. We chose the octopus salad, prepared grilled with capers, lemon and oil, grilled prawns and rockfish filet. The wines by the glass were limited but good. Great location in Fells Point. A real "find"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Black OliveJoeLes1973Dined on 9/6/2014We loved our dinner at The Black Olive. It was my birthday and I have always heard good things about the restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food, the service and the staff were outstanding. They made us feel special and were very accommodating. They gave us a nice table for 2 looking out at a pretty little street in Fells Point. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and we will definitely return to the Black Olive again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Black OliveBillDined on 9/5/2014For our anniversary, we decided to go to Black Olive since we were staying downtown in Harbor East. The restaurant had a great ambiance, wonderful and authentic Greek menu selection, and a great wait staff. The owner came over and explained the origin behind the Black Olive and was charming. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingjustforreviewDined on 9/5/2014This is the fifth time I've been to Black Olive. We usually go for special occasions because it is a bit out of our price range. It is always delicious!! This time I had the zucchini cheese appetizer and I haven't stopped thinking/talking about it since! Everything else was great, too, but that appetizer will bring me back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.