Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Route 80's Exit 25 at the Morris-Sussex County border on Highway 206 North, the Black Forest Inn features fine Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, gourmet sandwiches, and one of the best Angus Burgers you'll ever have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (34)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (23)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A WarhorseBeeMoVIPDined on 9/28/2014The Black Forsest is like an old warhorse. Dependable and keeps on serving. Old world charm, very good food and polite service always await. Although the German-Continental style has taken a back seat over the last few decades, the Black Forest continues to provide quality food in a lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Meal rivaled veal I had in Munich - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- german gemdueceDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is good for families and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OctoberfestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We go every year for octoberfest and are never disappointed! Great entertainment and the food is delicious and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieDined on 9/27/2014Very poor service. We could never find our waitress Long wait for our food to be servedSpecial Features:
- Fun Oktoberfest settingkpollisDined on 9/27/2014but make sure to make a reservation and specify you want the room with the band if you are planning to enjoy the music with dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014As always the food was incredible!! Authentic German food at it's best ! Highly recommend The Black Forest Inn ! I find it to be the best German Restaurant in NJSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite Its Usual High StandardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at BFI, a tradition that started with our wedding night years ago. As usual, the Oktoberfest atmosphere was convivial and a little noisy (those huge steins of beer!). About halfway through dinner our waiter (who'd been great) became unavailable. The dessert menu took forever as he scrambled to serve several much larger parties around us. We left without dessert or coffee to make our movie. I suspect the BFI was shorthanded that night, not his fault. My maultaschen (veal ravioli) appetizer was really special, braised boar entree less so. My wife had mushroom soup and Icelandic sole. Try to get a table out of the direct kitchen route, not always easy to spot in advance.
- JandEEandJDined on 9/21/2014Authentic German food and atmosphere. Exactly what we had hoped for to make Oktoberfest memorable.Special Features:
- Dinner Reuniontable4twoDined on 9/17/2014The ambiance at the Black Forest is a perfect mix between a quiet dinner setting with a great looking old world bar! The melon served with their Housemade Wild Boar Prosciutto appetizer was the freshest Melon ever tasted. The Veal Jagerschnitzel with Wine and Mushroom Cream Sauce was delicious and nicely complimented with a board of seasonal beer samplers. Sharing several desserts after dinner with coffee topped off a great dinner.Special Features:
- Terrific dinnerDisappointedDined on 9/14/2014We've been eating here for over 30 years, and we're never disappointed. We're fortunate that we live nearby. This visit we ate in the bar room which is very comfortable and quieter than the main room where there was musical entertainment, especially this Sunday evening when they were starting their Octoberfest specials. I had been looking forward to their wonderful scallops, but it was not on their specialty menu. However they were most accommodating, and since a fresh delivery had been received, they were happy to make the scallops for me! My husband had the veal schnitzelette gruyere, and it was thin and tender and delicious. Their maultaschen is to die for! Many thanks to Michelle for helping out with the scallops request. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic German FareJAS3Dined on 9/14/2014I've been coming to The Black Forest Inn for quite some time now and it has always been a stellar meal. This past time was on a Sunday afternoon for an early dinner, and they had a great little band playing traditional German songs in the one dining area. The food is always fantastic. I am a kind of guy who likes to try everything at a place that I know makes great food...well I think I have found my favorite in the venison dish with the cassis sauce is out of this world. My fiancee had the roast duck which was great, and other members of our party had the wild boar which received rave reviews, jaegerschnitzel which was devoured, and a salmon dish that was perfectly cooked. All of us left happy and absolutely stuffed. 5*I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014They ran out of a German beer during October fest? Didn't get told that for 20 minutes. After that all was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodDine4outDined on 9/12/2014Our late lunch was wonderful. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- overall expectations not metDisappointedDined on 9/10/2014Heard many great things about how awesome the food was...and it was good at best. The food is expensive and portions are small. Saved this trip for our anniversary, and was disappointed in our decision. Coudn't wait to get this iconic Lobster Bisque soup......omg only took about 4 spoonfuls -hoping to get used to the taste- but didn't. The waitress was very attentive and nice. Overall not a great dining experience
- DiningDivaDined on 9/7/2014Good German food is hard to find. Need not go further that the Black Forest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jojoDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good and the service was very good. The ambiance of the room and its characteristics is very appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceDHA76Dined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at the Black Forest Inn. The food was exceptional and the service was excellent. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome.SeafoodeatitDined on 9/3/2014Potato leek soup was to die for. Dinner entrees where good, not a fan of the potato pancakes (tasted more like tater tots w applesauce then authentic potato pancakes) but service was excellent (Tania) beer selection was great. In all we enjoyed our dinner and would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FranzFranzDined on 8/22/2014Overall the food and service was outstanding. If I could recommend to you the possibility of German music what you play does not fit the the Germany I feel around me.Special Features:
- Great food.BillDined on 7/27/2014We go to the Black Forest for special occasions. We have never been disappointed in the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love dining here!SaturdaysVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the Black Forest lnn a number of times for dinner and have never been disappointed. Their Potato Crusted Sea Bass is out of this world - one of those meals you wish would never end! Hubby is a steak lover but always orders the Sea Bass when we dine here. The value, quality and portions are all great, and the service is outstanding. Couple all that goodness with a gorgeous, black forest wooded atmosphere and it's truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved the Food, againGermanDined on 7/21/2014This was my 2nd time at the Black Forest Inn and I must say, the food didn't disappoint at all. Just like last time, it was very good and what I know to be authentic. Growing up in Germany makes me appreciate "real" german food and not just Brats and Sauerkraut.....which by the way are good too ;-) This time I was seated in te bar area, which of course was a little noisier, but still great. Food excellent, service was good too. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- All around excellencePorkChopsDined on 7/20/2014Consistently delicious German Food, well presented in a magnificent "Old Country" chalet surrounding.Special Features:
- Loved it, very authenticGermanDined on 7/18/2014This was my first time at the Black Forest Inn and I am sure I will be back. The food: very authentic german food ( and yes, they do have other things on the menu as well, but I went for my moms homecooking, so I picked the german food ;-) I started with the baked camembert , awesome and the sauerbraten with red cabbage and dumplings was amazing. Just like my mom makes.... The dessert was something else too. Cant tell you what it was called but yummy. The service: Joanne ( I believe) was very attending and super friendly. Made some great recommendations and always had perfect timing ;-))))) I saw they had a buffet as well, so next time I will give that a try. Thank you Black Forest Inn for making some amazing german food.Special Features:
- Great German FoodPoodle3LadyDined on 7/11/2014The service was excellent and most important non-obtrusive, i personally despise wait staff that hovers over me. After our wonderful meal and dessert we were allowed to dawdle and talk - there was no rushing us outSpecial Features:
- Nice Quiet DiningGermanDined on 7/10/2014The restaurant has been around for years. This visit was our first in 20+ years. The place is still good. It still has that old world charm that we remembered from years past. Service was excellent with the waitress well knowledgeable in the different German dishes. The sauerbraten is very good and was very tender, however, the dark gravy didn't have that ginger snap taste as I remembered. Overall, I would definitely return much sooner and not wait another 20+ years.Special Features:
- Far from the Maddening CrowdLouEVIPDined on 7/5/2014My companion and I found the Black Forest Inn while on a weekend getaway in western New Jersey. About an hour from my home in Manhattan, I was not expecting to find the quality and ambiance that we experienced. There were many German items on the menu but I was also very pleasantly surprised to find a nice variety of American and Continental dishes. I can't say enough about the service. Our waitress was attentive but not hovering, friendly without being personal, while all the staff was welcoming and accommodating. The food was well prepared and was served attractively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TimeJohnreviewsDined on 6/29/2014We visited to celebrate a Birthday and were not disappointed, We had an excellent experience. The server was outstanding, the food reasonably priced and nicely prepared. German theme throughout. Will return again. We recommend the full meal right to the dessert, delicious!Special Features:
- Good DinnerFranzDined on 6/22/2014Overall food was very good. Didn't like the house cabernet, but there is a good wine list by the bottle and great beer on tap. Chicken texture was a bit rubbery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet was outrageousGregVIPDined on 6/20/2014Their Friday Night Buffet was really awesome. Big selection from shrimp cocktail to a couple of carved meats. A lot of food so I suggest you come hungry.Special Features:
- danfrommorrisDined on 6/20/2014the menu has a large select and our waitress and chef were very helpful for choices for gluten free dining beyond the normal offeringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for German FoodJunebugDined on 6/20/2014Food and ambiance was very enjoyable -- great place to enjoy a buffet of great German foods - plenty of choices and they do not rush you at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome buffetgamineDined on 6/20/2014the last time I was at your restaurant was 20 years ago....my husband had never been, so we decided to go try the Fri. night buffet to celebrate my end of the school year!...it was OUTSTANDING through and through...we WILL be back!Special Features:
- Not worth the overpriced foodGermanFoodieDined on 6/15/2014it cost $42.50 per person (almost $300 when all was said and done) for 2 adults and 2 teens to eat at their buffet. What was supposed to be German Cuisine, had Piaya or something like it. This was an example of a few things off base. Then the food that was German like contained tough meat (sour Braten and Rouladen) covered up by heavy gravies... German food generally doesn't have such heavy thick gravies but rather more finely created sauces, more Au Jus like. The Spätzle (german noodles) were pretty good as was the red cabbage and potato salad though the potatoes in the potato salad were a bit disintegrated for my taste...
- Beautiful DinnerOliveDined on 6/15/2014We went for the Father's Day Dinner Buffett and had a wonderful time. All the food was fantastic and the selection was very diverse - something for everyone. Dessert included! Service was, as usual, outstanding as well. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014My family and I had a lovely time. The live music was a lot of fun. The cuisine was delicious and authentic. We intend to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic27stillcountingDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I began having dinner here 27 years ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary and have come back every year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstanding alwaysNightOutDined on 6/7/2014We have been going here for 15 years since our 1st date. We travel an hour to enjoy dinner. We are never disappointed. The food is fresh, the sauces amazing. It is absolutely worth the trip. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!SaturdaysVIPDined on 6/7/2014We frequent the Black Forest for their fantastic food and excellent service! The ambiance of the Inn is truly "black forest Germany" with lovely woodwork and decor, and the staff is appropriately dressed. The food is without question, the best in the area, ranging from traditional German meals to one fantastic Sea Bass meal that is truly beyond compare! They do their vegetable side dishes in such a way that even makes delicious, unique and super yummy! The staff is pleasant, efficient and super friendly! This is a restaurant that we'll continue to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 332 reviews are from the Black Forest Inn reviews archive.