Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Route 80's Exit 25 at the Morris-Sussex County border on Highway 206 North, the Black Forest Inn features fine Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, gourmet sandwiches, and one of the best Angus Burgers you'll ever have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)fit for foodies (33)romantic (30)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (20)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- We went with friends for OktoberfesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012We went with friends for Oktoberfest and really enjoyed it. The entertainers were engaging and very friendly. The food was authentic German and excellent and we will definitely make the trip (80 miles) every year for the occasion.Special Features:
- Their Roasted Crispy PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Their Roasted Crispy Pork Shank (aka, schweinshaxen) is the only reason I go there. This place is VERY expensive.Special Features:
- Oktoberfest at Black ForestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Oktoberfest at Black Forest Inn is always good!! We love the German food and venison dishes. Beer and music help set a complete mood of Oktoberfest. The staff is always so courteous and helpful. So glad Open Table reservations were available -- because when I called the Inn directly -- they were completely filled for the evening.Special Features:
- The food was great, and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012The food was great, and our server Raymond was very informative and friendly.Special Features:
- Could have been better!TerryDined on 10/19/2012We went on a Friday evening for the buffet. The wait staff was very busy and seemed overwhelm at times. Table service very slow and at times unattendtive. The soup and dessert were included with the buffet but were not set out on any buffet table. We specifically had to ask about for them.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012My wife and I love German cuisine and have been looking for a new place to check out. One of my wife's co-workers recommended the Black Forest Inn so we decided to make reservations there for our anniversary. I must say that we were very pleased with every aspect from the overall aesthetic, to the menu, the service, and of course the food. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- We love the Black Forest InnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012We love the Black Forest Inn & have been dining there for many years. We live in Florida now & there is nothing like it there. When we come back to visit that is a definite stop.Special Features:
- After making a reservationDinerDined on 10/14/2012After making a reservation several days in advance, we were put in a small side room where we had both the piped in music and live music at almost the same volume and therefore unable to enjoy either. The food was tasty but rather expensive considering everything was al-la-cart including the iced tea @ $2.00 per 8oz. glass. The service was acceptable considering the quantity of people there.Special Features:
- Our family thoroughly enjoyedGregVIPDined on 10/13/2012Our family thoroughly enjoyed Oktoberfest. The food was great, service quite good considering the big crowd, and the entertainment was a lot of fun. There is nothing quite like this if you enjoy a fun night out.Special Features:
- Great German food and lotsGmcg1Dined on 10/13/2012Great German food and lots of live entertainment for Octoberfest.Special Features:
- The food was excellect butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2012The food was excellect but the place was a zoo. It was Octoberfest and maybe that was why. After being shown to our table it was over a half hour and noone came to take our order. I finally hailed a passing waiter (which was difficult because the noise level was so high) and he was extremely apologetic. The hostess also came over and they both insisted on getting us a drink or salad or appetizer or something on the house because of our wait. We opted out but when the hostess heard it was our anniversary she brought us champagne. The food was excellent but needless to say it was not a romantic dinner which was our fault in picking a place like that.Special Features:
- A good and truely German RestaurantJoe52VIPDined on 10/13/2012A good and truely German Restaurant is hard to find in New Jersey. Black Forest is certainly one of those few.Special Features:
- Wonderful! Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2012Wonderful! Highly recommend it. Great food, great service and very romantic. Go during Oktoberfest!Special Features:
- This restaurant is a bit pricey,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2012This restaurant is a bit pricey, however; the food is very high quality. We went to the early bird Friday night dinner, same food, a little bit limited on the menu, but yummy all the same!!Special Features:
- My last experience at theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012My last experience at the Black Forest Inn was some 30 years ago. It was very good then and so much so now with the menu covering traditional German dishes as well as other standards. There is something on the menu that's sure to please every palette. Overall, the food was delicious, the service was courteous. I would recommend the Black Forest Inn to anyone for a night out on a special occasion.Special Features:
- FRom the time we arrived theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012FRom the time we arrived the staff was warm, friendly and accomodating. The food was excellent, the bar staff was very friendly and answered our questions about the special wine we ordered. We were not rushed and had a very nice evening. Good food and good desert.Special Features:
- We went there on the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012We went there on the first day of Oktoberfest so it was chaos. I have been here several other times and it was not to bad! Well worth the waitSpecial Features:
- The band for Octoberfest makesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The band for Octoberfest makes it a fun time for all. We brought guest that had never been to Black Forest Inn,and they too had a fun time in the main dinner room. We had a table of guest ages 21-70 yrs., and again we all had a fun time because of the the traditional music offered. Of course the German ambiance, food and beer was truly outstanding.Special Features:
- My wife and I brought my parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012My wife and I brought my parents here for special night out. Everything was wonderful,was simply a great meal and a great night.Special Features:
- German Food during Octoberfest !OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2012Very nice decor and great service ! Entrees were good not great! Very expensive for the amount of food served and well as quality.
- Authentic experiencenjguyDined on 10/6/2012Having always wanted to dine at the Black Forest Inn for years, it was the fullfillment of every expectation. Ordering off the Oktoberfest menu our waitress guided us through the varied options. Good german drafts were enjoyed. Each course was authentic and the oak carved and paneled decor in the dining with the bar reminded me of being in Austria. Glad we went early as people were waiting for tables after we arrived.Special Features:
- Oktoberfest ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2012Classic German fare. Oktoberfest entertainment weekend evenings during September and early October. Excellent food prep. Friendly service. Reasonable prices. Well worth the 40 minute drive.Special Features:
- A German theme parkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2012Like a German theme park especially if the band is playing. It has a fun spirit.Special Features:
- It could not have been better.GregVIPDined on 10/5/2012It could not have been better. The food was outstanding. Service excellent. It's simply a great place to dine, probably the finest restaurant in this part of New Jersey.Special Features:
- It was a busy Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012It was a busy Sunday night and we were put at a table next to the computer and the leftover packing station. It took 20 minutes before I had to ask someone who our server was and then our drink order was taken. The waiter that came seemed to be overwhelmed that night and spent most of the time in the other rooms where most of the people were. The food was very good as well as the beer.
- Glad we went, will go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012Understaffed for Oktoberfest kickoff, the BFF maitresse forgot to assign us a server but after 20 minutes the nearest leapt to our aid with profuse apologies and thereafter was attentive and gracious despite being overloaded herself. We had fun anyway watching the quiet very German-dressed revelers and oompah band. I had a pork dish and my wife, filet of sole. We were both quite pleased. The portions and meat-free selection were smallish, but the excellent food (so-so potato pancakes), extra-mile service and cozy, distinctive atmosphere (a trio of men in knee breeches serenaded each of the many dining rooms with drinking cheers) made our experience more than worth the very reasonable tariff. We will be back.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012we were disappointed and will not be returning. We had a 7pm appointment and had to wait 40 min/ to be seated. All this while witnessing odd things going on at the reception desk.One gentleman came out of nowhere thanked the hostess and slipped some money in her hand,I guess for a table. A second group of 6 came in well after us , the hostess was overheard saying yes you have a reservation but you did not inform us that 6 were coming, this man insisted where he wanted to sit and got his table. one of the better in the dining room.We were finally seated I sat in the corner of the room with a wall on my left sholder and staring at the wall in front of me. I had a completely obstructed view of everything and everyone in that room.
- A Great Restaurant OverstretchedBobADined on 9/29/2012I have been to the Black Forest Inn many times and it is among my favorite places. I think this year, a Saturday in "Ocktoberfest" with every single table in every nook and cranny being used, it was not at its peak. If I were reviewing the restaurant as a result of my other experiences I would give five stars overall and for each of the three sub-categories. However, Saturday's experience, while good, was not exceptional as it almost always is. I think the kitchen is not up to full 'overcapacity' and certainly our waitress was overstretched; there were huge gaps in the service, although we gave her a nice tip anyway and she was pleased. Go during the regular season!Special Features:
- Traveled 1 bour to use ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012Traveled 1 bour to use our Groupon and felt it was worth the Groupon price.
- Top Flight Restaurant!!!GregVIPDined on 9/26/2012Exceptional! Magnificent! This is a top flight restaurant, one of New Jersey's best. Their chef does an outstanding job. Always great service. I don't like to be rushed but the staff is always attentive. Fine variety on the menu even if you're not a German food fan. We enjoy the imported beers and German wines too. The Friday Night Buffet is not to be missed too.Special Features:
- Four of us went here for aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2012Four of us went here for a Birthday celebration for our friend who loves German food. We were here during Octoberfest which was fantastic. the food was outstanding and so was our waitress Dorothy! Each one of us enjoyed our meal, desserts and beverages! We were the last ones to leave. Black Forest Inn is definitely the best German Restaurant in NJ. We will be back!Special Features:
- SLOW/bad service and mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/23/2012Took 20 minutes for a waitress greet us. Completely wrong drink order and beverage list knowledge. Another 20 minutes before waitress came to take our order (40 minute mark!) Hostess said there was no manager on staff when I asked and she said I could only speak to her. I told her of the horridly slow service thus far and she responded that they were busy and I had the "best waitress." Being busy is no excuse for no service. Waitress should at very least check in with their table. Waitress cleared appetizers without asking and we weren't done. Pizza, potatoes/sauerkraut, and goulash appetizers- mediocre. Venison, lamb shank (bland), and beef rouladen-mediocre and all meat overlooked. Long wait for a table to be cleared and long wait pay.
- Um-pa-paOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012Wonderful for an upscale Octoberfest. We have been here many times for a meal with European feel. Friendly fun staff, very professional yet warm.Special Features:
- Great food and great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Great food and great atmosphere! Special Oktoberfest menu was very festive!Special Features:
- Octoberfest at the Black Forset....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Octoberfest at the Black Forset....hard to find much better this side of the pond.
- We love the old world atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012We love the old world atmosphere which is unique in this area. The Oktoberfest music added to the ambiance. The wait staff is dressed in traditional German garb and the table settings are beautiful. We enjoyed the beef rouladen and veal schnitzlet gruyere. Our beverage choices were the Oktoberfest seasonal ale and Franzikaner Weissbier. Both were on tap. There is a very good selection of wines and beers as well as a beautiful full bar. We had the German chocolate cake and coffee, both very good. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Food was good, but maybe aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Food was good, but maybe a little high in price. We had made a reservation, but were seated in the back of the restaurant. Finally made a request to be seated in an open area. Not a friendly place for anyone that has a walking handicap.Special Features:
- Truly Outstanding!!!GregVIPDined on 9/21/2012This is one of the true favorites in Northwest New Jersey. The food is exceptional, the service is impeccable (they couldn't enough for us), the atmosphere is very warm. Last night we savored on the fabulous buffet. Like it so much we're going to celebrate the next family birthday here next month. I highly recommend it. They offer a lot more than just German food too.Special Features:
- Overall the food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2012Overall the food was good. The Maultaschen appetizer was tasty & served on a hot plate however the food itself needed to be warmer which I mentioned to our server. Having grown up with German cuisine & still cooking it at home, I must say that the sauerbraten was a bit of a disappointment - the meat itself didn't have much flavor - it seemed more like regular pot roast with a flavored gravy poured over it rather than actual marinated meat. The potato dumpling was not bad but was missing the bread cube in the middle. The spaetzle & red cabbage were delicious ! We visited on an Oktoberfest weekend & thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance & the live music. Would definitely return to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:
- Black Forest InnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012We've been going to the Black Forest Inn for years and have never been disappointed. Authentic German food in a beautiful setting. Try their Friday Night buffets to sample a little of everything!Special Features: