Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Route 80's Exit 25 at the Morris-Sussex County border on Highway 206 North, the Black Forest Inn features fine Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, gourmet sandwiches, and one of the best Angus Burgers you'll ever have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (34)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (23)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The service was very slowdeb02Dined on 2/14/2014The service was very slow and incompetent The waitress tried to remove my food while I was eating I ordered prime rib and was given a fatty, burnt end piece which was awful I took this home to feed my dogs We were never asked if we wanted refills on our water or drinks The service was really awful
- Somewhat DisappointedkellsmanDined on 2/14/2014I went to the restaurant on Valentines Day, so I think it's a little hard to give an accurate review due to a holiday. I reserved a table the week of the holiday and requested a table near the fireplace. I was seated as far from that as you could get. We were actually seated right next to the band that they had, When I say right next to, I mean my girlfreind's back was inches from the keyboard player. The band was very good and we did enjoy them but just a little to close. For a pricey menu, the food seemed to be pre-cooked and served on a plate that was hotter than the actual food. Service was good, but at one point the waitress did thake my credit card and was gone for 10-15 minuets? I would try again, but it will not be on a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!HollyDined on 2/14/2014The Black Forest Inn has been around for decades and it is always a great experience. This Valentine's dinner was exceptional! Can't wait to go back :)Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014My husband took me here for Valentine's Day.It was our first time here. For appetizers, my husband and I ordered the potato pancakes and the mushroom bisque. The bisque was extremely flavorful and potato pancakes were delicious but more like mini tater tots. For our main course, I had the wiener schnitzel, which is the restaurant's specialty. It was very good and the portion was generous. My husband had the linguine with crabmeat, salmon, and shrimp. He was very pleased with his dish. We saved room for dessert, and ordered a slice of the black forest cake and the wine drenched cherries served with vanilla ice-cream. I loved the cake and my hubby enjoyed the cherries and ice-cream. We will definitely be back to this little neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad birthdaysadbirthdayDined on 2/8/2014I made a reservation to take my husband for his birthday. We were seated right but only given one menu. We asked for another menu were told they didn't have any more. We asked about wines & a wine menu was given. We ordered a wine and the my husband had an appetizer and a salad and I had just a salad we each had an entrée. My salad came with my husband's appetizer and my husband's salad came 20 minutes after. Much later the meal. The waitress was nowhere to be found. Later a busboy took the dinner plates but the waitress never came. We were never asked about coffee or dessert. We asked hostess who the arranged for the bill. As we paid the bill the waitress asked if we wanted dessert menus. When we said it was too late she just walked away.
- Good foodKempofloDined on 2/8/2014They do a fair job of recreating German fair. The prices are a little high so this will just be an occasional stop. Dines there with my wife, mother and two small children. While the staff was very friendly they sat us alone in a part of the dining area whee we had no view of the rest of the restaurant so this diminished the experience some.Special Features:
- OverratedJoJoeDined on 1/31/2014Our first experience with this restaurant, the food was not exceptional, the gravy on the beef tasted like canned and the carving board gave us a very small piece of meat. Atmosphere is very nice but the food is definitely over rated.
- Everything great butKarenSteveDined on 1/29/2014Waitress not nice. Left room after serving desert and we had to ask to find her after 20 minutes. Then after taking credit card to bar to process the bill she stood at bar talking to others for 10 minutes before finally bringing slip to sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exceptional Dining ExperienceGregVIPDined on 1/25/2014It was a cold winter night so we wanted to relax and enjoy a great dinner. The Black Forest Inn definitely delivered. The atmosphere was great - warm woodwork, the fireplace going, and very friendly service. When it comes to food, you can't beat this place. I couldn't believe that they had so many entrees under $20!!! I mean this is a fine dining restaurant. My wife had what they called a junior portion and I had the full portion. It was almost the same but priced lower. It makes sense because so many people are eating lighter and want to save money at the same time. The next day we went to their game dinner and it was spectacular! Too bad it wasn't available through Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried the Friday buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014We tried the Friday buffet this time, a little pricey but the variety of choices where great and the German food was as usual wonderful. Their selection of authentic German beers are also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a warm atmosphereGregVIPDined on 1/18/2014How can you beat this? Excellent food, attentive service, and a warm fireplace on a cold winter night. It doesn't get any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, old world charmSlapshotDined on 1/17/2014This restaurant has authentic German cuisine and the food is excellent. The decor is beautiful and gives the place an old world charm. We will definitely be going back. This is a gem of a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Forest FanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014My husband and I have been coming to the Black Forest for years! We recently attended their Friday night buffet with another couple which was their first dining experience there. I am sometimes hesitant to recommend a restaurant, as everyone's taste and opinions are different, however, I was sure they would be happy with the Black Forest Inn. Not only were they impressed with the beautiful and clean interior, but with the food, service and comfort. They were both "WOWED" and vowed to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The veal dish we had was wonderfullOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/16/2014The veal dish we had was wonderfully prepared and the service was terrific. I and my friends always enjoy ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwayscubbyDined on 1/11/2014Black Forest is always a "go to" restaurant when you want atmosphere, delicious German/American fare, and excellent service. We have been going to this restaurant for literally 30+ years and it never disappoints. Anyone we have brought there has always been very pleased. Beside the great food, the woodwork that was done many years ago when the addition was done, is truly beautiful. I highly recommend the Black Forest.Special Features:
- No Thanks, Port Shanks!RedRobinDined on 1/10/2014When I saw pork shanks on the menu, I ordered it hoping that it would be very tender and falling off the bone. That was not the case. There was sauce spooned around the shank but the shank was dry and there was a disconnect between the meat and the sauce as if the sauce was just an add-on. Maybe I'm used to a good osso buco, but I was very disappointed. The fat on the shank was also tough. When I told the waiter it was unsatisfactory, he took it away and comes back to the table with it all broken up to prove it was "falling off the bone". I thought that gesture was insulting and very tacky. The friends we were with agreed. That sealed it for me. I'll never return again.
- It's as good as it getsGregVIPDined on 1/4/2014Probably the most consistent fine dining restaurant in the area. We used to go to a lot of the chain restaurants but it can't compare to the Black Forest. For the same price, we are getting a gourmet meal. How can you beat that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a birthday dinner hereBreeDined on 1/4/2014Had a birthday dinner here a few nights ago. Food was excellent and we had a great time!Special Features:
- NEW YEARS EVEmaxieDined on 12/31/2013We have been coming to the Black Forest for quite some time on New Years Eve. If I had so say how long it would be around 9 years. My husband is German and we both love German food. Everything we get here is always delicious ...friendly service starting with the greeter, the bartenders, the servors, the help. We couldn't be happier when we dine at your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DinnerluvgreatfoodDined on 12/31/2013Our New Years dinner was excellent! I had scallops & strimp in a phylo dough with an orange ginger reduction as an appetizer, I get this every time its a special here. For dinner I had lobster, shrimp, scallops & monkfish in a sabyone sauce. A couple people at our table also the sole in a potatoe crust & loved it. We come here often & the food is always excellent. The service was great too, we were seated promptly at our reservation time.Special Features:
- One of our faveslab3617Dined on 12/31/2013If you want trendy and avant garde, go elsewhere. Hasn't changed in years, thank goodness! Potato - crusted fish is a must. Don't skip the dumpling. Wait staff is friendly, attentive, down to earth and know their jobs. The food is just excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Considering for a holiday meal?BroncoFanDined on 12/31/2013When one considers them for a Holiday meal, they have to pack their patience and be prepared to be there for a while. We were there for a 6:45 PM reservation and finally walked out the door at 9:15 PM. Don't get me wrong, it was nice not to be rushed but I think this was to the opposite extreme.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayoverthetopDined on 12/29/201313 years ago we celebrated our marriage reception at the Black Forest. We have returned several years since for our anniversary. The food has never been a disappointment. I order the Smoked Trout - cold appetizer- it is garnished with delightful extras. Often we will order a traditional German dish- Snitzel or Saurbraten- knowing it will be delicious. Past week I ordered the Crispy Pork Shank- done to perfection. The Syrah was wonderful. It's a delight to dine in a beautifully decorated. The servers are accommodating and friendly. The cost-- typical of fine dining yet within reason. Not a bad comment on Black Forest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service/FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2013I haven't been back to this restaurant in many years, however we came a week ago to check the place out for a family event and everything was very good, the waiter was excellent, he was attentive, courteous, and knew the menu. This prompted us to book for our event. The day of the event we had a different person wait on us, she was dry, seemed grumpy, didn't know the menu and was not attentive. It seemed to be a bother to check on things we had questions on. So now we are in a position of the service being hit or miss.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great german foodMaplewoodresidentDined on 12/27/2013I'm always on the lookout for good German food, and I have my go-to places in the city. But the Friday night buffet here is just unbeatable. The best sauerbraten in the area. Unbelievable red cabbage - you'd think that would be easy, right? No it's not. German potato salad, topnotch. And plenty of other stuff too, but I always go for fourths on the sauerbraten! If you go for the buffet, be sure to ask specifically for a dumpling, it's not part of the buffet but it's amazing. You'll love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to eatTandLDined on 12/26/2013The food was out of this world and the restaurant was beautiful in side . We drove over an hour just to eat there and it was well worth it . A+ in my bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013So nice to still have a great restaurant in the area that's not an impersonal, noisy chain! Service is attentive but not intrusive, and the food is wonderful. They also offer more than just German food with seasonal specialties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverrateddineDined on 12/26/2013I went here with my wife for their traditional Christmas Goose Dinner. Six small oil soaked toasts began the meal. After a significant wait, the meal was served. We had to ask for bread. When it came it was a warm roll and not rye or pumpernickel which you would expect in a German restaurant. The goose was passable but the potato dumpling was grease coated and the red cabbage was just so so. Thankfully we ordered the gravy on the side. We were served what seemed to be a watery beef gravy. Great anticipation turned to disappointment at the conclusion of a rather expensive meal. My advice is to avoid this restaurant as it seems to be highly overrated.
- Alway excellent 4 15 years!midmaxlexDined on 12/24/2013The best meals every time - wonderful gourmet food - great beef, veal, fish, game meats - my husband is extremely picky and this is one of the only restaurants he always has a good experience - chef Heiner is truly an accomplished chef! highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German cuisine.StephDined on 12/21/2013Authentic German cuisine. The servers have great themed attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice and decent German placeFlogalenDined on 12/14/2013Nothing can be as German as in Germany but here in this restaurant you'll get close enough to experience a good meal what's almost German. The Staff is really friendly and the prices fit the meals. Especially you should look for the beer there and try some of them. It's a really nice and neat place what's really big inside. Even on a snowstorm it's worth it to go there and enjoy a dinner near the fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a PartyGregVIPDined on 12/13/2013It is truly a pleasure working with the people at the Black Forest Inn. Their attention to detail is exceptional. Food and service could not have been better. Our party was the talk of the office. We look forward to coming back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good German BuffetwinenrosesDined on 12/13/2013Buffet had genuine German foods like Maultauchen and Spaetzle. The beautiful roast beef was gone before our party had the chance to enjoy. Most of the foods were overdone in the chaffing dishes. The food was OK, but not phenomenal. The escargot ordered from the regular menu was just OK too. It was in a parsley butter garlic sauce that was not at all special. This used to be a 5 star restaurant. It was quite the disappointment. The service was the highlight of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2013We were a party of 4 on a Saturday night. The restaurant was busy and we had a 20 minute wait for our table. But it was worth the wait. The food was excellent as was the service.Special Features:
- Not Totally German CuisineHoneyBadgerDined on 12/7/2013We had hoped for a more German cuisine experience having visited that country and, although they offered the usual schnitzel and a few other authentic options, the majority of the menu catered to more American tastes. Drove quite a distance (45m) to get there and, if we lived locally we would come back but unless in the area, will not return. Staff friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, ambience was lively and pleasant. A very popular spot as every table appeared occupied on an early Saturday evening. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/4/2013Perfect as always. Never had a bad meal here. The food is outstanding! Also very accommodating to special drink and food requests. My 3 year old loves the German sausage and we alway request one for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is firstDashin2DineDined on 12/1/2013Anytime I eat at Black Forest, it's always a wonderful experience. The food is meticulous, the service is exemplary, and the decor is simply divine. Even if one doesn't enjoy German food, there are many other options on the menu and Chef Heiner will (most often) go out of his way to ensure that a meal is enjoyed fully. I look forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversarytcj14Dined on 11/29/2013We had a wonderful experience and meal. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy German RestaurantSarahDined on 11/28/2013My husband and I eat at the Black Forrest Inn about 6 times a year. The ambiance is wonderful. The food is always delicious. The service is excellent. Further, the music is quiet background music, usually waltz music such as the Blue Danube Waltz. It is so wonderful and soothing. We're tired of restaurants that play loud rock music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy holiday dinner good experiencegigiDined on 11/28/2013We went to the Black Forest Inn for Thanksgiving dinner. We had reservations for 4:30 pm and waited til 5:00 in a crowded lobby. Once seated, we were not rushed and the service was adequate. The special Thanksgiving menu had several interesting choices for appetizers and entrees. We all chose the turkey with gravy and dressing. The turkey was moist and delicious, the dressing was a mushy lump under the turkey. Our appetizers were all tasty as well as our side dishes. There was too much salad dressing on the complementary house salad, but it was good. We made room for dessert and all tried something different, all raved about our scrumptious choices! A great choice for our Thanksgiving feast! We'll go back again when it is not a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.