Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Route 80's Exit 25 at the Morris-Sussex County border on Highway 206 North, the Black Forest Inn features fine Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, gourmet sandwiches, and one of the best Angus Burgers you'll ever have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (34)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (23)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- You asked, I answeredOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Excellent food, but a bit pricey You red velvet bench seating is in desperate need of replacement. Most uncomfortable surface I have sat on in years. I am German, so we go for soul food and I know those benches have been there since I was a much younger person - hint, happy customers happen with good food AND good comfortable seating. It is time!Special Features:
- True German FoodMrsBinNJDined on 5/24/2014From the moment you walk in, you are transported to Germany. The art on the wall, the waitresses' dirndls, and the food food food -- it all feels like the real deal. The food is unbelievably good. I reco schnitzel and the stroganoff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic germanTryinnewfoodsDined on 5/19/2014We were looking for an authentic german restaurant, this was definately the right place to go. Awesome authentic food cooked by 3 generations of germans. Authentic decor and dress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingGregVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food here is quite good but don't let the tag German food throw you. This is truly a continental restaurant with a German accent. I see influences of French, Northern Italian, and Slavic. This time we tried what is considered to be German ravioli, Maultaschen. We ordered it as an appetizer and it was outstanding.Special Features:
- A FavoriteSkipperDined on 5/16/2014Consistently great with an emphasis on German/Continental cuisine. Also, a good selection of imported beers and German decor. Family owned and operated. Try the Norwegian smoked salmon appetizer, the Icelandic sole, the pork or wiener schnitzel, the tuna and, of course the spaetzle and red cabbage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- how disappointingnick52948Dined on 5/11/2014We've been to the Black Forest Inn four times in the past year. We always enjoyed the food and surroundings. We went there for Mother's Day and were very disappointed. First of all we reserved the wine room for our group of ten. When we got there we were told they couldn't fill that request even though we called and confirmed this. The food was not up to snuff either. The food was tasteless and the dessert was horrible. The waitress was wonderful and made the best of a bad visit. We will never go back to this restaurant. Our bill was about $500 and we traveled almost an hour to get there - NEVER AGAIN!
- KatieDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed the 3 piece musical group playing old time tunes.Special Features:
- UnappetizingDisappointedDined on 5/9/2014Made reservations for romantic anniversary dinner.....UGH! Was seated in heavy traffic buffet room. Felt VERY rushed to order so we went with the buffet. ALL the food was cold (even after mentioning to buffet server, nothing was done) and all the meat dishes were served in the same tasteless, salty, brown sauce. Patrons were left waiting with empty plates as buffet refills were very slow. The staff ran around like chickens without heads and looked like they needed roller skates- very unprofessional. I think the buffet is good for the clientelle that was there looking to fill their plates and faces, and not care what they're eating. You know the type
- great classic German setting & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014great classic German setting & food with very friendly, efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's birthday treatLuv2dineDined on 5/3/2014Live in the area had always heard the food was excellent. My parents were in visiting from Arizona, and it was my father's birthday. So we took them there for Dad's birthday dinner, and the food was everything I hoped it would be! Each one of us had something different and loved everything on our plates! The staff was very pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Seafood Buffet is a winner!MomnipDined on 5/2/2014We are regulars at the Black Forest Inn but this was the 1st time we caught the "Friday Seafood Buffet". The shellfish (clams, oysters, mussels and shrimp) was fresh & perfectly served on ice. The hot entree portion sizes were perfect given that there were probably 20+ selections of various seafood dishes & some of the Inn's wonderful German entries too. We particularly enjoyed finding the lamb entry at this time of the year. The steamed lobster tails and crab legs were fresh and really great too. Pace yourself because dessert is included. We did have one person in our group who ordered from the menu so there are options for non-seafood lovers too (though the prime rib on the buffet was among the best I've ever had.) We'll be back.Special Features:
- NostalgiaMarsVIPDined on 4/26/2014It made me reminisced the European vacation I had in Germany with my good friend. The ambience, decor & the food was excellent! I had ordered their crispy pork shank " what German food is also known for- it's their specialty " for me, It was just deliciously moist & with their potato dumpling uhmm! My friend ordered the duck & was very pleased with it... plus the sauce...it was just perfect. I would go back there & this time with a bunch of friends! I wonder what it's like in October?? I'm sure it's a great place to be there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for good german foodirbsjuliaDined on 4/25/2014We have eaten here a half dozen times over the last 3 years, and would eat here more often if it were only 80 miles closer to home. We meet as a group once a year for either their fabulous buffet on Friday, or off the menu on Saturday and I'd be hard pressed to say which is the more enjoyable occasion. Not being a fan of buffets, I have to say that they move the food quickly and is as fresh on your plate as if they had just cooked it for you. I cannot wait for next year, so we are planning on another meeting in mid summer just to tide us over until next April.Special Features:
- Love this place!md1088Dined on 4/20/2014This was my second time at the Black Forest Inn and was just as satisfied as the first. Their sauerbraten is the best! Because I went there for dinner on Easter, the staff were quite busy, yet despite that managed to remain very friendly and accommodating. Will be coming back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTuscanaDined on 4/20/2014It's been almost 9 years since my last visit ti The Black Forest Inn and the food is still outstanding. I had JägerSchnitzel the meat was so tender and German Maultaschen, with Fried Onions delicious. The staff was very friendly on the busy Easter Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverbookedJJtwDined on 4/20/2014Waited an 1 1/2 with a reservation to be seated for Easter. Terrible!
- Fabulous in every way.luvtheBFDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is a special place for me any my family. We've had a wedding rehearsal dinner there, romantic dinners, dinners with friends, dinners with family members. If you have not gone yet, don't delay -- get going.Special Features:
- Wonderful Easter DinnerGregVIPDined on 4/20/2014Going out on Easter or any other holiday at a popular restaurant can be a challenge because of the big crowds. I have to compliment the staff at the Black Forest Inn for a great job. Our food, service and everything were terrific. They truly are professionals.Special Features:
- MoosedancerDined on 4/20/2014I have dined at the Inn several times and it is always exceptional. Being of German background and having traveled to Germany, it is hard to find a restaurant that severs genuine German cuisine. The Black Forest Inn does! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for authentic German food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i was expecting morephillyDined on 4/19/2014the last time i was here which was in 2013 i had a great meal. so i wanted to bring my wife for our 24th wedding anniversary. the food was passable, we had potato pancakes which looked and tasted as if they were frozen. the saurbratten was dry and tough. all in all i will not return to this place
- Great Place, fantastic food!SaturdaysVIPDined on 4/19/2014Excellent German food, and fantastic food all around! The Black Forest Inn has a fantastic selection of food and their best by far is the Sea Bass! If you love fish, and even if you don't, you can't go wrong. Hubby is an avid steak guy but will opt for the sea bass when we visit the Black Forest Inn.Special Features:
- Food and Service was great!JenUDined on 4/6/2014My in-laws had been here years ago and wanted to go again and offered to take us to dinner. It did not disappoint! The service was outstanding and the food was really delicious. The sauerbraten on the regular menu was delicious! My son and husband has the rouladen special and they loved it! We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2014The cuisine at The Black Forest Inn is authentically German according to our guests who lived in Europe for 25 years and often dined in German restaurants. The presentation is lovely and the food is superb. The service is excellent; friendly and helpful servers; Impeccable table settings; Warm, elegant dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocre at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014The food was mediocre at best. We were seated very promptly but service was very slow. We had wanted to try the restaurant for some time but were very disappointed. I will not go back.
- Best German Food AroundJerseyTechGuyDined on 3/29/2014After not having been to the Black Forest Inn in about 15 years I wanted to see if it was as good as I remembered and I was impressed with how great the food and service was. I would absolutely go again. Great job Black Forest Inn!Special Features:
- Feels like you are in BavariaVinoRossoDined on 3/28/2014Overall a nice experience. The service was excellent and they went out the way to accomodate my 5 year old. We went for my wife's birthday. We really liked the German feel of the decor, especially the bar room. The food was authentic German but a little bit salty.Special Features:
- Great German FoodWillcallagainDined on 3/23/2014Going to the Black Forest Inn brings back great memories of when I went to dinner with my family in my youth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticDrumdogDined on 3/21/2014Great, authentic German food with very friendly staff. We had a wonderful experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not the best...ChurchladyDined on 3/13/2014The Black Forest Inn is a very pretty restaurant, traditional German folk art decor, wait staff in traditional costume. However, much as others seem to like the potato dumpling, we found it to be tasteless, more like flavorless dough than anything. Not good. The rest of our meal was good, but we found things to be very salty. I had "traditional roast pork", and my companion had a crusted salmon dish. Her salmon was better than my pork, which was smothered in a very salty brown gravy. Even the green beans were salty! Best part of the food was our appetizer - we split an order of potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream - delicious! We could have made a meal of potato pancakes, had they been offered as an entree.Special Features:
- A Needle in a HaystackGregVIPDined on 3/13/2014All around Northern New Jersey there are hundreds of Italian restaurants. Sometimes dining out can get a little boring. After finding the Black Forest Inn, I was happy to find a top quality restaurant that does not serve Italian food. Instead a great selection of continental-European cuisine. You don't have to like German food because the majority of their menu is not German. I learned the chefs are both trained in Europe and the food is of the highest quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteSaturdaysVIPDined on 3/8/2014We've been going to the Black Forest for the past 10 years and simply love the food, service and ambiance. The rustic "Black Forest" theme of the restaurant is complimented by servers dressed in German attire. To say the food is fantastic is underplaying the excellence of their chefs! Lately, they have had a special on their menu - "potato crusted sea bass" - which is out of this world. My husband is a steak lover, but prefers the sea bass when we visit the Black Forest! Service is always friendly and courteous, and the servers have actually remembered us and go out of their way to say "hello"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints :)niteoutfor2Dined on 3/1/2014The food is outstanding! The servers are attentive. An excellent choice for dinner with plenty of special events.Special Features:
- TerrificmilfordDined on 2/28/2014Our waiter was one of the best ever. All the food was delicious, presented properly, delivered timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice night out.SusanDined on 2/28/2014We all enjoyed our recent meal at the Black Forest Inn. We will be back again to try some new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightNightOutDined on 2/22/2014We travel over an hour to go to this restaurant. Food is always outstanding. Homemade lobster ravioli, mushroom ravioli and the sauces are unbelievable. Especially excellent is the Seafood Medley. The service is usually very good here. This time we had someone very slow... and we love taking our time, but this was a bit too slow. The bus boy wasn't up to speed either and did not clear my plate; the waitress had to which took some time. We would not let this one incident hold us back from going again. And with prior experience, I will rate this as 5 stars. We had our first date here, now married for 13 years and continue to travel back a couple times a year. Well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationMickDined on 2/22/2014My family and I were celebrating a birthday. The handicapped elevator was not working and while the food was satisfactory, the service was extremely slow. I had ordered a cake prior our arrival and had to remind the waitress to please bring it out. Overall, since my visit was not exceptional, I will not be returning to the Black Forest Inn.
- The food was excellent.. QuietskibumDined on 2/15/2014The food was excellent.. Quiet for older crowd but an atmosphere of a German Inn The Serviced was very good. We have eaten here several times and never been disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German Restaurant!kaybeeVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was my first visit to The Black Forest Inn and I really enjoyed it. I loved that the waitresses dressed in German outfits and the music fit the mood perfectly. We visited for Valentine's weekend, so we only had a condensed menu, but I truly enjoyed the boneless pork tenderloin with apple compote. The spatzle was really delicious as well. We didn't have enough room to fit in dessert, but all the choices sounded wonderful. I will definitely get back there again!Special Features:
- Wonderful, never disappointsMoondancerVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a lovely Valentine's dinner, warm & cozy by the fireplace. The food was outstanding: the potato leek soup was delicious, as were the Sauerbraten and my husband's braised wild boar. And the desserts! Black Forest cake and warm apple struedel. We come here as often as possible, and the food and service are always top notch. Love to come here with the whole family, or to sneak off just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy every visitJessDakotaDined on 2/14/2014I have been coming going to the Black Forest Inn for years and am never disappointed. The food and atmosphere are comforting and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.