Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: (973) 347-3344
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Special Events: Oktoberfest, German Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Year' Eve, Game Dinners, Wine Pairing Dinners, Beer Pairing Dinners, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day Buffet, German Heritage Festival and more.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Exit 25 on Route 80 at the Morris-Sussex County border, the Black Forest Inn features award-winning Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, and gourmet sandwiches. Located at 249 Rt. 206 North in Stanhope.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)fit for foodies (58)good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (33)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- As always, the Black Forest Inn Delivers!MartyRVIPDined on 11/23/2014If you want a delicious dinner served in a rustic, Bavarian setting the Black Forest Inn is the place to go. Their food is wonderful, the service excellent and the decor makes you feel you are in Germany. The chef is a Master!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has probably seen better daysmc61Dined on 11/22/2014Having spent considerable time in Germany, I felt like having a German meal. The decor was authentic and pleasant. The food was just alright. The weiner schnitzel was bland. Not sure how the spatzle was made but it wasn't like any spatzle I've ever had. The bratwurst was very good. The potato pancakes looked like flattened tater tots and tasted the same. The seats were lumpy and I could feel the springs. The beer selection was good. The service was pleasant. All in all it wasn't worth the time and money.
- What a treat!hildowDined on 11/22/2014I haven't had German food in a long, long time. And this wasn't just any German food - it was really really tasty. We all loved our meals! The spaetzle was delicious. The desserts were great. But the entrees stole the show. I would absolutely go again. I would love to try the Fri night buffet; and/or the goose dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best German Restaurant and the food -bestsweetpeaDined on 11/16/2014we loved every minute of it including our server Kevin. Food outstanding. I've been to a few German restaurants, but this beats them all. Thank you for great afternoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special mealDashin2DineDined on 11/9/2014I brought my boyfriend in for a special birthday dinner over the weekend. We had a couple drinks at the bar and when we did sit, we had a cozy booth tucked away in a quiet corner. Our server, Hannah, was just about the best either of us had ever had. The food was absolutely beyond compare -- neither of us could remember having a better meal within recent memory. Try the house made wild boar prosciutto over melon, it was one of our favorites. I know my boyfriend felt incredibly special and that his birthday was transformed into an actual holiday. Black Forest Inn has been there a long time and after eating there, it's plain to see why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedDiscerningdinerDined on 11/8/2014The menu offered a wide variety of appetizers, entrees. drinks and desserts that were superb. I have dined at The Black Forest Inn on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all of my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!SaturdaysVIPDined on 11/8/2014We try to go out to dinner once a week and Black Forest Inn is one of those places we love to frequent. The atmosphere is simply beautiful, plenty of "old home" Germany in both the amount of visible wood in the dining areas, the decorum and dress of the staff. The food is out of this world and choices are many to whet anyone's appetite. We love the potato-crusted sea bass; even a steak lover would opt for this dish.Special Features:
- Feels like home!JhartDined on 11/7/2014We took another couple with us this time. His mother was born in Germany so he knew the entire menu and said it felt like home! Our server was great and offered great recommendations. Overall it was a wonderful experience for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Seafood BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We really look forward to the first Friday of the month because that's when they do the Seafood Buffet! Woul recommend to others!Special Features:
- Oktoberfest at The Black Forest Inn2WkndMunchersDined on 11/1/2014The wait was Horrendous but once seated near 8pm the Food was WONDERFUL!! Our server although frazzeled, was very helpful in explaining the dishes and suggesting items :) IT WAS A GREAT TIME WITH A GREAT FOOD EXPIERENCE! Expect to wait,but you are sure to ENJOY this place. If you want GERMAN this is the place to go .The red cabbage is to die for MMMMMMMMMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- traditional german food at its bestgermanfoodloverDined on 10/31/2014all the german favorites at the buffet, rouladen, sauerbraten, spätzle, red cabbage, and more, quiet, friendly service,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as alwaysMomnipVIPDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed the Friday night buffet. The full menu is always available but the buffet allows you to sample many entrees (at least 10) plus carving station with fantastic prime rib and one other meat, salad bar, chilled shrimp, etc. They change up the offerings so you can be a "regular" and get something different every time. Coffee and desert are included too. The chef stopped by and shared his ingredients for the FANTASTIC beef stroganoff with us. Another stellar dinner with great service at the Black Forest Inn!Special Features:
- Very goodARR3VIPDined on 10/30/2014Always a very nice experience. Very good food and service wth authentic german dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialUCFVisitorDined on 10/29/2014We have been here several times for special occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is very authentic and exquisitely prepared and we love the decor, it is very cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Everyone in our party of 4 enjoyed this dining experience. The service was also outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black Forest Inn Never DisappointsMartyRVIPDined on 10/25/2014The Black Forest Inn is one of those great restaurants where the quality has remained the same for decades. The food is great, the service excellent and its just a wonderful experience. We went there for my sister-in-laws birthday and it was just wonderful. We often celebrate Christmas Eve at the Black Forest. The German specialities are wonderful and no one does venison and game related dishes better.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindBeeNJDined on 10/25/2014The Man and I were pleasantly surprised. Excellent food, drink, and service. Portions are of a very healthy size. Did have to wait a few minutes, even with reservations. Seating is a bit tight and the dining areas can be a bit noisy but that did not put a damper on things. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great placeBBLUDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant is very consistant in their menu and service. A nice place to go for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oktoberfest FunOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2014We went to the Black Forest during Oktoberfest to enjoy the music and to have authentic German food which is what the Black Forest is all about. They never disappoint in the food department, everything was delicious, wild boar and venison are both excellent choices. We like to go to the Black Forest every couple of months but during Oktoberfest is always a highlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- annwalt073Dined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed an Octoberfest meal before, this time we added another couple. We had a delightful time, the food was outstanding it came out hot and in an timely fashion. My guests were very impressed and said they would return again. Our server was very good and attentive even though the place was jammed full.. She deserved the 20% tip that we left for her.Special Features:
- OktoberfeststcyprienDined on 10/18/2014Fun restaurant to celebrate Oktoberfest. Lots of noise to be expected, lots of loud people, busy bar, hefty portions of german specialities, and a man playing the accordeon and singing german drinking songs , its almost like being in Munich!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beeranonDined on 10/18/2014Great food and beer but we were seated too far from the live music and could not hear it at all. We arrived at 6:45 for a 7:00 reservation and we were not seated till 7:20.Special Features:
- zehr gut!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014As always, the BFI does not disappoint. The Octoberfest menu has all the standards as well as some seasonal speciaties. I had the OKTFST sampler (or something of that name). Excellent. As are the sides. In some places the sides can be cold, feel warmed over, etc. The red cabbage and dumpling came across as fresh and delicious. Also, our server was great. She knew all the dishes and desserts and provided some good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to celebrategreatfoodfindDined on 10/18/2014We brought another couple to celebrate with us and they had never been to Black Forest and they fell in love with it as we have. The food is always delicious and plentiful and we love the ambienceSpecial Features:
- MarsVIPDined on 10/18/2014Best crispy pork shank. Just reminds me of home! Potato dumpling was very good. It had that tasty chewy gooey texture that was not a typical of a mashed potato. For dessert we ordered dark chocolate with pecans...this is a must taste. Deellish!Special Features:
- Muffdvr420Dined on 10/17/2014The best German food I have ever had, and the service was excellent. The beer was also nice and coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerNiceNightOutDined on 10/17/2014Went to celebrate daughter's birthday. Very nice, buffet option on Friday night. Like they have 2 portion sizes depending on your appetite. Also appreciate you can get anything from a buffet to a salad to a sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryaneveningoutDined on 10/17/2014A memorable night. We were seated away from most diners, and able to interact with each other without effort. Flowers ordered for occasion were on the table prior to being seated. Everything came at a nice pace, staff very attentive. Thanks to all for great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014This was our first visit to The Black Forest Inn. We enjoyed it very much! My only suggestion would be to make the side order a bit larger and offer more vegetable side orders. Thanks!Special Features:
- Worth the tripbeachDined on 10/13/2014Delicious meal for our family of four. Cozy booth, friendly hostess and waiter. Fun to try German specialties that were prepared perfectly. If you don't have room for dessert, try a bite & take the rest home. They got every course just right!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceMaplewoodresidentDined on 10/13/2014The food is amazing. I usually have German stuff (the sauerbraten and the red cabbage are astonishing) but last time I started with lobster bisque and it was unbelievable. And the Friday night German buffets are the best deal on the planet if you eat as much as I do. They're also a good way to try out lots of different things, so you'll know what to order when you come on a weeknight. My mom has trouble hearing when there are lots of people in the room, so she doesn't like going to restaurants, but BFI is an exception -- we go early, around 5, and ask for a quiet table, and we often get a room to ourselves -- there are lots of little rooms and alcoves. Mom loves having great German food at a restaurant and still being able to hear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent food and very friendly. Great Oktoberfest music and a good selection of beers. Great deserts! Service a little slow, but they were very busy.Special Features:
- NonameReviewerVIPDined on 10/12/2014Front-of-house management needs attention. We arrived at 5:45 on an Oktoberfest Sunday for our 6PM reservations...told we needed to wait until 6. We were seated at 6:30. Meanwhile, the two hostesses disappeared for 5 or 10 minutes at a time; we realized they were setting tables. I'm guessing they have done Oktoberfest before, so this should not have happened. Hostesses setting tables? Is this the best use of their time when 20 people stood in their reception area, waiting for dinner. Once seated, the food and service were very good.
- disappointedoverndoneDined on 10/12/2014Had to wait 30 minutes to be seated for our reservation after reminding the hostess who we were at least 3 times. very unorganized. waiter we had was rude. musical entertainment was way too loud. could barely carry on a conversation at table. not worth the money. couldn't wait to leave.
- We LeftOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I live in Freehold NJ - Stanhope is 1 Hour 30 minutes away, we arrived early and were seated at 5pm, after 15 minutes no one had taken our drink order or acknowledged our presence. After a half hour of watching everyone around us being waited on and receiving their orders we started to believe that we were in the twilight zone! 40 minutes passed and still no service. We left. It's a shame, we don't usually go out for expensive dinners, We used to go to the Schwaebische Alps restaurant in Watchung NJ for German food, but they have been closed many years now. My family and I were really looking forward to adding a new tradition to our list, but I will never go back there again. Looks like it might have been a good place too ... what a shame.Special Features:
- October fest worthyDineandwineDined on 10/12/2014We brought in two small children and they were quite comfortable. The food was very true to the ethnic standard and quite excellent in some cases. The escargot was as good as I have ever experienced and my grandchildren ate most of my serving using the butter sauce to dip their bread in. The Breaded Veal was cooked just right tender and flavorful. The accompanying potato Pancakes were reminiscent of McDonalds breakfast home fries. The apple sauce was obviously from a jar. In all there was nothing wrong with the food and preparation and it was elevated by the decor and atmosphere. The German beer was extensive and also added to the octoberfest atmosphere.Special Features:
- Friday Night BuffetLykinnDined on 10/10/2014Nothing less than "wonderful". Lots of choices and dishes constantly being replenished keeping the entrees fresh and not over cooked. Service was friendly and very attentive. Overall this restaurant remains a five.Special Features:
- wouldn't have gone if we knew this!Partyof10Dined on 10/5/2014WOW! We made a reservation for a party of 10 and I SPECIFIED that there were 6 kids in the party. It was for a SUNDAY at 4:45 so not a time outside the kids normal dining time, not something that would interfere with other diners. So we got there and got seated immediately. Great! Then they forgot about us for 25 MINUTES even thou we were kinda right in a passage way that everyone HAD to walk thru.. they didn't have ANY kind of cups to accommodate children.. I'm not talking zippy cups or cups with straws.. I'm talking cups that were smaller, lower to the table.. not some goblet that you put in front of a 3 year old.. really? so out of 6 kids we had three spills, we didn't get our drinks until almost 45 mins in.. we finished DINNER at 6:40Special Features:
- Cheaper than going to GermanyBobandnancyDined on 10/5/2014Wehn you arrive you think you have been transported to the old country. The food was exeptional. Service was also very good. Highly reccoment.Special Features:
- Consistantly superb!midmaxlexDined on 10/4/2014Great restaurant with incredible homemade food - excellent game meats, seafood and traditional german selections. Highly recommended! Been going for many years and we are never disappointed.....the best!Special Features: