Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Exit 25 on Route 80 at the Morris-Sussex County border, the Black Forest Inn features award-winning Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, and gourmet sandwiches. 249 Rt. 206 North in Stanhope.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (37)romantic (30)neighborhood gem (26)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OktoberfeststcyprienDined on 10/18/2014Fun restaurant to celebrate Oktoberfest. Lots of noise to be expected, lots of loud people, busy bar, hefty portions of german specialities, and a man playing the accordeon and singing german drinking songs , its almost like being in Munich!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beeranonDined on 10/18/2014Great food and beer but we were seated too far from the live music and could not hear it at all. We arrived at 6:45 for a 7:00 reservation and we were not seated till 7:20.Special Features:
- zehr gut!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014As always, the BFI does not disappoint. The Octoberfest menu has all the standards as well as some seasonal speciaties. I had the OKTFST sampler (or something of that name). Excellent. As are the sides. In some places the sides can be cold, feel warmed over, etc. The red cabbage and dumpling came across as fresh and delicious. Also, our server was great. She knew all the dishes and desserts and provided some good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The best German food I have ever had, and the service was excellent. The beer was also nice and coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Went to celebrate daughter's birthday. Very nice, buffet option on Friday night. Like they have 2 portion sizes depending on your appetite. Also appreciate you can get anything from a buffet to a salad to a sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014A memorable night. We were seated away from most diners, and able to interact with each other without effort. Flowers ordered for occasion were on the table prior to being seated. Everything came at a nice pace, staff very attentive. Thanks to all for great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014This was our first visit to The Black Forest Inn. We enjoyed it very much! My only suggestion would be to make the side order a bit larger and offer more vegetable side orders. Thanks!Special Features:
- Worth the tripbeachDined on 10/13/2014Delicious meal for our family of four. Cozy booth, friendly hostess and waiter. Fun to try German specialties that were prepared perfectly. If you don't have room for dessert, try a bite & take the rest home. They got every course just right!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceMaplewoodresidentDined on 10/13/2014The food is amazing. I usually have German stuff (the sauerbraten and the red cabbage are astonishing) but last time I started with lobster bisque and it was unbelievable. And the Friday night German buffets are the best deal on the planet if you eat as much as I do. They're also a good way to try out lots of different things, so you'll know what to order when you come on a weeknight. My mom has trouble hearing when there are lots of people in the room, so she doesn't like going to restaurants, but BFI is an exception -- we go early, around 5, and ask for a quiet table, and we often get a room to ourselves -- there are lots of little rooms and alcoves. Mom loves having great German food at a restaurant and still being able to hear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent food and very friendly. Great Oktoberfest music and a good selection of beers. Great deserts! Service a little slow, but they were very busy.Special Features:
- NonameReviewerVIPDined on 10/12/2014Front-of-house management needs attention. We arrived at 5:45 on an Oktoberfest Sunday for our 6PM reservations...told we needed to wait until 6. We were seated at 6:30. Meanwhile, the two hostesses disappeared for 5 or 10 minutes at a time; we realized they were setting tables. I'm guessing they have done Oktoberfest before, so this should not have happened. Hostesses setting tables? Is this the best use of their time when 20 people stood in their reception area, waiting for dinner. Once seated, the food and service were very good.
- disappointedoverndoneDined on 10/12/2014Had to wait 30 minutes to be seated for our reservation after reminding the hostess who we were at least 3 times. very unorganized. waiter we had was rude. musical entertainment was way too loud. could barely carry on a conversation at table. not worth the money. couldn't wait to leave.
- We LeftOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I live in Freehold NJ - Stanhope is 1 Hour 30 minutes away, we arrived early and were seated at 5pm, after 15 minutes no one had taken our drink order or acknowledged our presence. After a half hour of watching everyone around us being waited on and receiving their orders we started to believe that we were in the twilight zone! 40 minutes passed and still no service. We left. It's a shame, we don't usually go out for expensive dinners, We used to go to the Schwaebische Alps restaurant in Watchung NJ for German food, but they have been closed many years now. My family and I were really looking forward to adding a new tradition to our list, but I will never go back there again. Looks like it might have been a good place too ... what a shame.Special Features:
- October fest worthyDineandwineDined on 10/12/2014We brought in two small children and they were quite comfortable. The food was very true to the ethnic standard and quite excellent in some cases. The escargot was as good as I have ever experienced and my grandchildren ate most of my serving using the butter sauce to dip their bread in. The Breaded Veal was cooked just right tender and flavorful. The accompanying potato Pancakes were reminiscent of McDonalds breakfast home fries. The apple sauce was obviously from a jar. In all there was nothing wrong with the food and preparation and it was elevated by the decor and atmosphere. The German beer was extensive and also added to the octoberfest atmosphere.Special Features:
- Friday Night BuffetLykinnDined on 10/10/2014Nothing less than "wonderful". Lots of choices and dishes constantly being replenished keeping the entrees fresh and not over cooked. Service was friendly and very attentive. Overall this restaurant remains a five.Special Features:
- wouldn't have gone if we knew this!Partyof10Dined on 10/5/2014WOW! We made a reservation for a party of 10 and I SPECIFIED that there were 6 kids in the party. It was for a SUNDAY at 4:45 so not a time outside the kids normal dining time, not something that would interfere with other diners. So we got there and got seated immediately. Great! Then they forgot about us for 25 MINUTES even thou we were kinda right in a passage way that everyone HAD to walk thru.. they didn't have ANY kind of cups to accommodate children.. I'm not talking zippy cups or cups with straws.. I'm talking cups that were smaller, lower to the table.. not some goblet that you put in front of a 3 year old.. really? so out of 6 kids we had three spills, we didn't get our drinks until almost 45 mins in.. we finished DINNER at 6:40Special Features:
- Cheaper than going to GermanyBobandnancyDined on 10/5/2014Wehn you arrive you think you have been transported to the old country. The food was exeptional. Service was also very good. Highly reccoment.Special Features:
- Consistantly superb!midmaxlexDined on 10/4/2014Great restaurant with incredible homemade food - excellent game meats, seafood and traditional german selections. Highly recommended! Been going for many years and we are never disappointed.....the best!Special Features:
- An enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Not our first visit! we introduced four friends to the Black Forest Inn and they loved it. Food was great from appetizer thru dessert. The many smaller dining rooms allow for quieter dinning. The help in friendly and professional.Special Features:
- A WarhorseBeeMoVIPDined on 9/28/2014The Black Forsest is like an old warhorse. Dependable and keeps on serving. Old world charm, very good food and polite service always await. Although the German-Continental style has taken a back seat over the last few decades, the Black Forest continues to provide quality food in a lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Meal rivaled veal I had in Munich - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- german gemdueceDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is good for families and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OctoberfestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We go every year for octoberfest and are never disappointed! Great entertainment and the food is delicious and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieDined on 9/27/2014Very poor service. We could never find our waitress Long wait for our food to be servedSpecial Features:
- Fun Oktoberfest settingkpollisDined on 9/27/2014but make sure to make a reservation and specify you want the room with the band if you are planning to enjoy the music with dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014As always the food was incredible!! Authentic German food at it's best ! Highly recommend The Black Forest Inn ! I find it to be the best German Restaurant in NJSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite Its Usual High StandardimpressionabledinerDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at BFI, a tradition that started with our wedding night years ago. As usual, the Oktoberfest atmosphere was convivial and a little noisy (those huge steins of beer!). About halfway through dinner our waiter (who'd been great) became unavailable. The dessert menu took forever as he scrambled to serve several much larger parties around us. We left without dessert or coffee to make our movie. I suspect the BFI was shorthanded that night, not his fault. My maultaschen (veal ravioli) appetizer was really special, braised boar entree less so. My wife had mushroom soup and Icelandic sole. Try to get a table out of the direct kitchen route, not always easy to spot in advance.
- JandEEandJDined on 9/21/2014Authentic German food and atmosphere. Exactly what we had hoped for to make Oktoberfest memorable.Special Features:
- Dinner Reuniontable4twoDined on 9/17/2014The ambiance at the Black Forest is a perfect mix between a quiet dinner setting with a great looking old world bar! The melon served with their Housemade Wild Boar Prosciutto appetizer was the freshest Melon ever tasted. The Veal Jagerschnitzel with Wine and Mushroom Cream Sauce was delicious and nicely complimented with a board of seasonal beer samplers. Sharing several desserts after dinner with coffee topped off a great dinner.Special Features:
- Terrific dinnerDisappointedDined on 9/14/2014We've been eating here for over 30 years, and we're never disappointed. We're fortunate that we live nearby. This visit we ate in the bar room which is very comfortable and quieter than the main room where there was musical entertainment, especially this Sunday evening when they were starting their Octoberfest specials. I had been looking forward to their wonderful scallops, but it was not on their specialty menu. However they were most accommodating, and since a fresh delivery had been received, they were happy to make the scallops for me! My husband had the veal schnitzelette gruyere, and it was thin and tender and delicious. Their maultaschen is to die for! Many thanks to Michelle for helping out with the scallops request. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic German FareJAS3Dined on 9/14/2014I've been coming to The Black Forest Inn for quite some time now and it has always been a stellar meal. This past time was on a Sunday afternoon for an early dinner, and they had a great little band playing traditional German songs in the one dining area. The food is always fantastic. I am a kind of guy who likes to try everything at a place that I know makes great food...well I think I have found my favorite in the venison dish with the cassis sauce is out of this world. My fiancee had the roast duck which was great, and other members of our party had the wild boar which received rave reviews, jaegerschnitzel which was devoured, and a salmon dish that was perfectly cooked. All of us left happy and absolutely stuffed. 5*I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014They ran out of a German beer during October fest? Didn't get told that for 20 minutes. After that all was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodDine4outDined on 9/12/2014Our late lunch was wonderful. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- overall expectations not metDisappointedDined on 9/10/2014Heard many great things about how awesome the food was...and it was good at best. The food is expensive and portions are small. Saved this trip for our anniversary, and was disappointed in our decision. Coudn't wait to get this iconic Lobster Bisque soup......omg only took about 4 spoonfuls -hoping to get used to the taste- but didn't. The waitress was very attentive and nice. Overall not a great dining experience
- DiningDivaDined on 9/7/2014Good German food is hard to find. Need not go further that the Black Forest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jojoDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good and the service was very good. The ambiance of the room and its characteristics is very appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceDHA76Dined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at the Black Forest Inn. The food was exceptional and the service was excellent. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome.SeafoodeatitDined on 9/3/2014Potato leek soup was to die for. Dinner entrees where good, not a fan of the potato pancakes (tasted more like tater tots w applesauce then authentic potato pancakes) but service was excellent (Tania) beer selection was great. In all we enjoyed our dinner and would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FranzFranzDined on 8/22/2014Overall the food and service was outstanding. If I could recommend to you the possibility of German music what you play does not fit the the Germany I feel around me.Special Features:
- Great food.BillDined on 7/27/2014We go to the Black Forest for special occasions. We have never been disappointed in the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.