Black Forest Inn
249 Rt 206
Stanhope, NJ 07874Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Black Forest Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theblackforestinn.com/
- Phone: 9733473344x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday 4:30-10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, German
- Executive Chef: Heinz Aichem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a party at your place? We’ll go the distance for you!
From trays & chafing dishes ‘to go’ to fully staffed events, the Black Forest Inn is ready to fill your off-premise catering needs. With personal menu planning & attention to every detail, we will go above & beyond to make your party a big success.
- Entertainment: Every Second & Fourth Saturday nights, the Black Forest Inn offers dinner and dancing with live music from "Jersey Swings" from 7 to 10 pm.
A word from Black Forest Inn
One minute off Route 80's Exit 25 at the Morris-Sussex County border on Highway 206 North, the Black Forest Inn features fine Continental-German cuisine in a casual atmosphere. While we offer many German favorites, our menu is very Continental & European influenced by the cuisines of Italy, France and Eastern Europe. On our menu there's something for everyone including plenty of unique hot & cold appetizers, steaks, seafood, chicken, veal, pork, fabulous salads, gourmet sandwiches, and one of the best Angus Burgers you'll ever have.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Black Forest Inn - Best Restaurants in Stanhope ›
Black Forest Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)romantic (28)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (19)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- FranzFranzDined on 8/22/2014Overall the food and service was outstanding. If I could recommend to you the possibility of German music what you play does not fit the the Germany I feel around me.Special Features:
- Great food.BillDined on 7/27/2014We go to the Black Forest for special occasions. We have never been disappointed in the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love dining here!SaturdaysDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the Black Forest lnn a number of times for dinner and have never been disappointed. Their Potato Crusted Sea Bass is out of this world - one of those meals you wish would never end! Hubby is a steak lover but always orders the Sea Bass when we dine here. The value, quality and portions are all great, and the service is outstanding. Couple all that goodness with a gorgeous, black forest wooded atmosphere and it's truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Loved the Food, againGermanDined on 7/21/2014This was my 2nd time at the Black Forest Inn and I must say, the food didn't disappoint at all. Just like last time, it was very good and what I know to be authentic. Growing up in Germany makes me appreciate "real" german food and not just Brats and Sauerkraut.....which by the way are good too ;-) This time I was seated in te bar area, which of course was a little noisier, but still great. Food excellent, service was good too. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- All around excellencePorkChopsDined on 7/20/2014Consistently delicious German Food, well presented in a magnificent "Old Country" chalet surrounding.Special Features:
- Loved it, very authenticGermanDined on 7/18/2014This was my first time at the Black Forest Inn and I am sure I will be back. The food: very authentic german food ( and yes, they do have other things on the menu as well, but I went for my moms homecooking, so I picked the german food ;-) I started with the baked camembert , awesome and the sauerbraten with red cabbage and dumplings was amazing. Just like my mom makes.... The dessert was something else too. Cant tell you what it was called but yummy. The service: Joanne ( I believe) was very attending and super friendly. Made some great recommendations and always had perfect timing ;-))))) I saw they had a buffet as well, so next time I will give that a try. Thank you Black Forest Inn for making some amazing german food.Special Features:
- Great German FoodPoodle3LadyDined on 7/11/2014The service was excellent and most important non-obtrusive, i personally despise wait staff that hovers over me. After our wonderful meal and dessert we were allowed to dawdle and talk - there was no rushing us outSpecial Features:
- Nice Quiet DiningGermanDined on 7/10/2014The restaurant has been around for years. This visit was our first in 20+ years. The place is still good. It still has that old world charm that we remembered from years past. Service was excellent with the waitress well knowledgeable in the different German dishes. The sauerbraten is very good and was very tender, however, the dark gravy didn't have that ginger snap taste as I remembered. Overall, I would definitely return much sooner and not wait another 20+ years.Special Features:
- Far from the Maddening CrowdLouEVIPDined on 7/5/2014My companion and I found the Black Forest Inn while on a weekend getaway in western New Jersey. About an hour from my home in Manhattan, I was not expecting to find the quality and ambiance that we experienced. There were many German items on the menu but I was also very pleasantly surprised to find a nice variety of American and Continental dishes. I can't say enough about the service. Our waitress was attentive but not hovering, friendly without being personal, while all the staff was welcoming and accommodating. The food was well prepared and was served attractively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TimeJohnreviewsDined on 6/29/2014We visited to celebrate a Birthday and were not disappointed, We had an excellent experience. The server was outstanding, the food reasonably priced and nicely prepared. German theme throughout. Will return again. We recommend the full meal right to the dessert, delicious!Special Features:
- Good DinnerFranzDined on 6/22/2014Overall food was very good. Didn't like the house cabernet, but there is a good wine list by the bottle and great beer on tap. Chicken texture was a bit rubbery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet was outrageousGregVIPDined on 6/20/2014Their Friday Night Buffet was really awesome. Big selection from shrimp cocktail to a couple of carved meats. A lot of food so I suggest you come hungry.Special Features:
- danfrommorrisDined on 6/20/2014the menu has a large select and our waitress and chef were very helpful for choices for gluten free dining beyond the normal offeringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for German FoodJunebugDined on 6/20/2014Food and ambiance was very enjoyable -- great place to enjoy a buffet of great German foods - plenty of choices and they do not rush you at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome buffetgamineDined on 6/20/2014the last time I was at your restaurant was 20 years ago....my husband had never been, so we decided to go try the Fri. night buffet to celebrate my end of the school year!...it was OUTSTANDING through and through...we WILL be back!Special Features:
- Not worth the overpriced foodGermanFoodieDined on 6/15/2014it cost $42.50 per person (almost $300 when all was said and done) for 2 adults and 2 teens to eat at their buffet. What was supposed to be German Cuisine, had Piaya or something like it. This was an example of a few things off base. Then the food that was German like contained tough meat (sour Braten and Rouladen) covered up by heavy gravies... German food generally doesn't have such heavy thick gravies but rather more finely created sauces, more Au Jus like. The Spätzle (german noodles) were pretty good as was the red cabbage and potato salad though the potatoes in the potato salad were a bit disintegrated for my taste...
- Beautiful DinnerOliveDined on 6/15/2014We went for the Father's Day Dinner Buffett and had a wonderful time. All the food was fantastic and the selection was very diverse - something for everyone. Dessert included! Service was, as usual, outstanding as well. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014My family and I had a lovely time. The live music was a lot of fun. The cuisine was delicious and authentic. We intend to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic27stillcountingDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I began having dinner here 27 years ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary and have come back every year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstanding alwaysNightOutDined on 6/7/2014We have been going here for 15 years since our 1st date. We travel an hour to enjoy dinner. We are never disappointed. The food is fresh, the sauces amazing. It is absolutely worth the trip. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!SaturdaysDined on 6/7/2014We frequent the Black Forest for their fantastic food and excellent service! The ambiance of the Inn is truly "black forest Germany" with lovely woodwork and decor, and the staff is appropriately dressed. The food is without question, the best in the area, ranging from traditional German meals to one fantastic Sea Bass meal that is truly beyond compare! They do their vegetable side dishes in such a way that even makes delicious, unique and super yummy! The staff is pleasant, efficient and super friendly! This is a restaurant that we'll continue to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You asked, I answeredOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Excellent food, but a bit pricey You red velvet bench seating is in desperate need of replacement. Most uncomfortable surface I have sat on in years. I am German, so we go for soul food and I know those benches have been there since I was a much younger person - hint, happy customers happen with good food AND good comfortable seating. It is time!Special Features:
- True German FoodMrsBinNJDined on 5/24/2014From the moment you walk in, you are transported to Germany. The art on the wall, the waitresses' dirndls, and the food food food -- it all feels like the real deal. The food is unbelievably good. I reco schnitzel and the stroganoff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic germanTryinnewfoodsDined on 5/19/2014We were looking for an authentic german restaurant, this was definately the right place to go. Awesome authentic food cooked by 3 generations of germans. Authentic decor and dress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingGregVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food here is quite good but don't let the tag German food throw you. This is truly a continental restaurant with a German accent. I see influences of French, Northern Italian, and Slavic. This time we tried what is considered to be German ravioli, Maultaschen. We ordered it as an appetizer and it was outstanding.Special Features:
- A FavoriteSkipperDined on 5/16/2014Consistently great with an emphasis on German/Continental cuisine. Also, a good selection of imported beers and German decor. Family owned and operated. Try the Norwegian smoked salmon appetizer, the Icelandic sole, the pork or wiener schnitzel, the tuna and, of course the spaetzle and red cabbage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- how disappointingnick52948Dined on 5/11/2014We've been to the Black Forest Inn four times in the past year. We always enjoyed the food and surroundings. We went there for Mother's Day and were very disappointed. First of all we reserved the wine room for our group of ten. When we got there we were told they couldn't fill that request even though we called and confirmed this. The food was not up to snuff either. The food was tasteless and the dessert was horrible. The waitress was wonderful and made the best of a bad visit. We will never go back to this restaurant. Our bill was about $500 and we traveled almost an hour to get there - NEVER AGAIN!
- KatieDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed the 3 piece musical group playing old time tunes.Special Features:
- UnappetizingDisappointedDined on 5/9/2014Made reservations for romantic anniversary dinner.....UGH! Was seated in heavy traffic buffet room. Felt VERY rushed to order so we went with the buffet. ALL the food was cold (even after mentioning to buffet server, nothing was done) and all the meat dishes were served in the same tasteless, salty, brown sauce. Patrons were left waiting with empty plates as buffet refills were very slow. The staff ran around like chickens without heads and looked like they needed roller skates- very unprofessional. I think the buffet is good for the clientelle that was there looking to fill their plates and faces, and not care what they're eating. You know the type
- great classic German setting & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014great classic German setting & food with very friendly, efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 323 reviews are from the Black Forest Inn reviews archive.
- Dad's birthday treatLuv2dineDined on 5/3/2014Live in the area had always heard the food was excellent. My parents were in visiting from Arizona, and it was my father's birthday. So we took them there for Dad's birthday dinner, and the food was everything I hoped it would be! Each one of us had something different and loved everything on our plates! The staff was very pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Seafood Buffet is a winner!MomnipDined on 5/2/2014We are regulars at the Black Forest Inn but this was the 1st time we caught the "Friday Seafood Buffet". The shellfish (clams, oysters, mussels and shrimp) was fresh & perfectly served on ice. The hot entree portion sizes were perfect given that there were probably 20+ selections of various seafood dishes & some of the Inn's wonderful German entries too. We particularly enjoyed finding the lamb entry at this time of the year. The steamed lobster tails and crab legs were fresh and really great too. Pace yourself because dessert is included. We did have one person in our group who ordered from the menu so there are options for non-seafood lovers too (though the prime rib on the buffet was among the best I've ever had.) We'll be back.Special Features:
- NostalgiaMarsDined on 4/26/2014It made me reminisced the European vacation I had in Germany with my good friend. The ambience, decor & the food was excellent! I had ordered their crispy pork shank " what German food is also known for- it's their specialty " for me, It was just deliciously moist & with their potato dumpling uhmm! My friend ordered the duck & was very pleased with it... plus the sauce...it was just perfect. I would go back there & this time with a bunch of friends! I wonder what it's like in October?? I'm sure it's a great place to be there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for good german foodirbsjuliaDined on 4/25/2014We have eaten here a half dozen times over the last 3 years, and would eat here more often if it were only 80 miles closer to home. We meet as a group once a year for either their fabulous buffet on Friday, or off the menu on Saturday and I'd be hard pressed to say which is the more enjoyable occasion. Not being a fan of buffets, I have to say that they move the food quickly and is as fresh on your plate as if they had just cooked it for you. I cannot wait for next year, so we are planning on another meeting in mid summer just to tide us over until next April.Special Features:
- Love this place!md1088Dined on 4/20/2014This was my second time at the Black Forest Inn and was just as satisfied as the first. Their sauerbraten is the best! Because I went there for dinner on Easter, the staff were quite busy, yet despite that managed to remain very friendly and accommodating. Will be coming back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTuscanaDined on 4/20/2014It's been almost 9 years since my last visit ti The Black Forest Inn and the food is still outstanding. I had JägerSchnitzel the meat was so tender and German Maultaschen, with Fried Onions delicious. The staff was very friendly on the busy Easter Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverbookedJJtwDined on 4/20/2014Waited an 1 1/2 with a reservation to be seated for Easter. Terrible!
- Fabulous in every way.luvtheBFDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is a special place for me any my family. We've had a wedding rehearsal dinner there, romantic dinners, dinners with friends, dinners with family members. If you have not gone yet, don't delay -- get going.Special Features:
- Wonderful Easter DinnerGregVIPDined on 4/20/2014Going out on Easter or any other holiday at a popular restaurant can be a challenge because of the big crowds. I have to compliment the staff at the Black Forest Inn for a great job. Our food, service and everything were terrific. They truly are professionals.Special Features:
- MoosedancerDined on 4/20/2014I have dined at the Inn several times and it is always exceptional. Being of German background and having traveled to Germany, it is hard to find a restaurant that severs genuine German cuisine. The Black Forest Inn does! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for authentic German food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.