Black Eyed Susan Restaurant
18727 North Pointe Drive
Hagerstown, MD 21742Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Black Eyed Susan Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackeyedsusan.biz/
- Phone: 2404202955x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: MONDAY - SATURDAY: 11:00am - 3:45pm; Dinner: MONDAY - Saturday: 4:00pm - CL : SUNDAY BRUNCH & DINNER SERVICE
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: JOHN WALLA
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: CATERING FOR ANY EVENTS
A word from Black Eyed Susan Restaurant
Second location opening soon in Hagerstown, MD!Black Eyed Susan Restaurant & Catering offers a wide selection of made to order foods. We strive to use the freshest ingredients available and to create menu choices that will satisfy your palette as well as your wallet. At Black Eyed Susan Restaurant & Catering, we know that great food doesn’t have to be pretentious or expensive! From sandwiches to dinner and desserts, you’ll find meals that will keep you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Eyed Susan Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- NICE DINING EXPERIENCEDRR3Dined on 3/28/2014If you want a finer dining experience than the typical out of the box restaurants this is it. Everything was freshly made and quite tastey. The dipping sauce for bread to the last morsel of entree was really good. The price is reasonable and the portions even on the large size. We visit them about four times a year and are not normally disappointed. Oh there were some ceiling lights out and it was quite dark..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good. Service attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2014Food was good. Service attentive. Overall, pleasantSpecial Features:
- valentinemrburns45Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentine's Day on Friday. It was really noisy in the corner room that we got put in and everyone seemed really frantic....which is to be expected I guess at 7:45 on a Friday holiday. Once the people started to leave it was a great atmosphere. Food took a long time to come out but they were slammed busy so that's not really surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average1234dinerDined on 2/14/2014Maybe it was the Valentine's Day rush, but the food was OK, and staff a little on the slow side.Special Features:
- I found the food to be veryPJMillerDined on 1/31/2014I found the food to be very good and the staff exceptionally attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong seatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2014Even though I requested a seat away from any door, we were still seated right beside the front door. Only a few customers when we were seated. Made a remark but it was ignored.
- New Year's EveeatingoutlocallyDined on 12/31/2013Had an excellent meal for this special evening. The service was excellent, and we were very pleased with the menu and our selections, stuffed shrimp. Food was well prepared, and the wine selections were a hitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country Ham and CrabagebDined on 12/28/2013The pasta dish called Country Ham and Crab is awesome! So are the crab fries! Huge portions, fast service, reasonable prices, and great food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- It was a spur of the momentRavensWeekEndDined on 12/3/2013It was a spur of the moment decision to take the kids out for dinner on a Tuesday evening. I had a rough day at work and really just wanted a drink. The waitress, who we've had before, was attentive and very entertaining. She was careful with the kids and helped them with the decision making. It was a pleasant diversion after a difficult day. The food was excellent. I wish there was more seafood in the small portion of the seafood pasta, but the taste was very good. As always, the chicken, bacon, avocado sandwich is my favorite. I recommend this place to everyone!Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013The food was nothing special. I've had better at chain restaurants and I don't like chain restaurants. The meatballs were dry, sauce flavorless, the portabella rice bowl was too salty, the chicken caesar wrap was mostly lettuce, the portabella wrap was ok, as was the burger. On the upside the wait staff was very nice. There was a large party and our waitress got our order in before theirs so we didn't have to wait on our food, however, we did have to wait 10-15 minutes for our bill after we requested it.
- Nice quick evening mealDRR3Dined on 11/2/2013It was a Saturday evening and a little slow.. The pot roast on the special sandwich must have been a Friday night feature. The crab corn chowder wasn't quite up to previous visits. Had the crab fries and were not to bad except the fries seemed a little soggy instead of crisp. I've never had a bad Friday night but Saturday wasn't outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- commentsbabysisterDined on 10/13/2013Although there is a wide variety of food selections and prices, the dinner entrees are expensive. There was a featured steak on the menu at "market price". The flavor was mediocre at best and the price was right up there with the filet. The steak was ordered medium and it came out well done. Stick with the filet and send it back if it isn't cooked to your liking. I would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or lunch with the girls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2013I have only gone for lunch, which has been very good. Food is fresh, menu is varied, service is friendly.Special Features:
- Very good restaurant withAlanDined on 8/31/2013Very good restaurant with a variety of entrees. It is one of best restaurants in the city and is located in a section of the city where there are very few establishments available. We have never been disappointed on the food and service. Sometimes it can get noisy if the restaurant is full due to lack of acoustic treatment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMikeHVIPDined on 8/9/2013Excellent service and food. Scallops great. Hopefully you get April for your waitress. She really knows how to take care of customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service - Noisy - Food OKgiessen74Dined on 7/19/2013visited on Friday evening. 8 PM reservation wasn't seated until 8:15 PM, waited until 8:25 PM to have a server stop by. Waited at the bar (only one bartender on a busy Friday evening). Bartender complained about servers. Later, the server complained about bartender. I am not interested their issues. I've been to this restaurant before when it was slow and the service was good. Better staffing and management is needed. Food has always been good. Very noisy, had guy singing and playing instruments. Not very good and it took away from the ambience. It was impossible to have a conversation. This entertainment actually made the evening worse.
- Something didn't clickGManDined on 7/13/2013The service seemed disjointed and lacked any chemistry between the staff. The kitchen had trouble keeping up with baking fresh bread for the tables. We had to wait a while for ours. The server introduced herself then ran off to take care of some other customers. We had the swordfish dinner, and the seafood trio. Both dinners were served with perfectly steamed vegetables and rice pilaf. The swordfish was very tasty and nicely prepared. The seafood trio consisted of shrimp, scallops and swordfish. The shrimp and scallops were prepared perfectly. The swordfish portion had a large piece of sinew which made part of it inedible. I'm not sure we'd dine here again.
- Escape the RoutineEgar2supDined on 6/26/2013Our dining experience was very pleasant and special. Live music lended to the appeal, making our evening an escape from the routine of franchise dining. We had dined at the old location at Virginia Ave, and enjoyed our second visit as much or more than our first. We would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Post Father's day dinnerphotog237Dined on 6/18/2013A group of seven of us dined out at the Black Eye Susan. We have eaten here before and find the food delicious, the atmosphere welcoming and upbeat, as well as the staff. I originally had made reservations for six but at the last minute had to make it seven. I arrived early to let them know this change and they were very accommodating. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceluv2eatDined on 5/29/2013I had a lovely time. The food was very good. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreLAP82Dined on 5/24/2013I expected a better experience based on what I'd heard from others regarding the old location. The staff members were decent, but not as attentive as I had hoped they'd be. The food was average and so was the service. We were "politely" asked to leave our table because they were waiting to seat someone else. I can appreciate them wanting to keep the next reservation on time, but they probably should have better structured the reservations so that no customer was rushed. I don't plan on visiting this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Anniversary DelightEdnSueDined on 5/19/2013We dined at BES for our anniversary. Traditionally, we have picked an upscale, more expensive restaurant for these occasions. I asked my wife where she wanted to dine; Volt, LJ's, Dutch's Daughter, Tasting Room, any place she wanted? She picked BES, and we were delighted - couldn't have been better! Extensive wine list, wide choice of craft and premium beer on draught, a Daily Specials menu, their regular menu that changes often enough to keep it interesting. Our server was doing double duty, but she made sure we were well cared for. All-in-all, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal, the service was excellent and the price is less than one would expect to pay for such a fine dining experience. Good Job!! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day diningDebbieDined on 5/12/2013Our party of 6, including two vegetarians, had dinner at the Black Eyed Susan on Mother's Day. We each had a different entree and everyone was quite satisfied with their selection. I had the lump meat crab cakes that were cooked perfectly. Our group also enjoyed several of the appetizers on the menu and loved these as well - shrimp, crab dip, hummus, etc. Our server, Suzie, was very attentive to our needs and really knew the menu. We also enjoyed the specialty drinks on the menu for Mother's Day!! All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live JazzOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/27/2013Our first time we happened upon some amazing live Jazz duo...really brought the experience to another level! Our server was great! We will return!Special Features:
- AMAZING FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013We just love this place!! Service is always great, you're never rushed and feel taken care of. Best of all is the food. American cuisine with plenty of delicious twists. There's something for everyone....and it's all yummy!!Special Features:
- Should be packed every nightDowntownJonVIPDined on 4/14/2013Had another great dinner at Black-eyed Susan's this past week-end. Caesar Salads with anchovies, and shrimp & grits for entree. Great service, great bread, great food. Very reasonably priced. This place should be packed every night. Ambiance is more like a sports bar, which could turn off some, but go for the food!Special Features:
- Food was nice and the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2013Food was nice and the price was ok but the service made the meal. I would go back and would also recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Outstanding food as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Outstanding food as always. Everyone at the table had gotten something different and all enjoyed.Special Features:
- We had an incredible experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013We had an incredible experience!!! We were "testing the waters" before signing a catering contract for our daughter's upcoming wedding. We had amazing food and our waitress, April, was outstanding. We are planning to go back again soon with friends and looking forward to offering great food at the wedding.
- Great dining experienceDebbieDined on 3/8/2013Our food was very good. The ham and crab pasta was delicious. Waitress was very friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013I was glad to see the heater at the front door. It made a big difference. The food was great as always,!Special Features:
- The guy that was sing wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013The guy that was sing was good, but I can not say the same about the food. I was expecting a much better meal than what I received.
- Decent place for a nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2013Food was good (my steak was overcooked but overall the food was good). Decent beer selection... the Oysters and the goat cheese fritters were great. There was live music that night that was good, but way way way too loud. Like I said, other than the overcooked steak (I wanted rare -really rare- and it came more towards the medium rare side), was a good experience.
- We visited on Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We visited on Valentine's Day so it was very busy. They seated us right at our reservation time but the service was slow but to be expected for a holiday. Food was excellent!
- I decided on the Blackeyephotog237Dined on 2/14/2013I decided on the Blackeye Susan because of past experience. The new North location is fantastic, and for Valentines it was a perfect venue. The food was excellent, as was the wine. The service and staff are impecable. Valentines day had live music, an acoustical guitar player who did a fine job. My only complaint would be, upon entering the musician was immediately to our left and made hearing very difficult. Fortunately, we were seated in an area away from the direct music so we were able to hold a conversation without shouting. I would also recommend larger signs on the other set of doors. During the breezy, cold winter months, with those people who could not read it made for a bit of a chill (not enough to complaing about).Special Features:
- The restaurant is a favoritequiltyDined on 2/14/2013The restaurant is a favorite of ours in the Hagerstown area. We enjoyed the ambiance of the old location better as this one seems a bit more sterile. I have several favorites - the crab-cakes have little filler with a flavorful sauce, good salads, and an excellent chocolate cake that is more like chocolate mousse. It is very reasonably priced for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Don't sit near the front!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013Food was average.. We had reservations and were seated next to the door. It was freezing. I had to wear my coat.
- This was a good find. OurdjvnetDined on 2/1/2013This was a good find. Our waitress was awesome (have to find her name on my receipt) and my three boys found interesting food on the menu. I had the Sausage Sampler and the house Merlot. Very good...we will go back again soon.Special Features:
- They really need to do somethingDRR3Dined on 1/18/2013They really need to do something about the coldness in the front dining area. From December to March it is freezing. You need to supply blankets to wrap over you legs.. Dining with your coat on is not really helping the experience. You need to have an early reservation if you want to avoid all the noise from the bar..Special Features:
- The food was great as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/9/2013The food was great as always. The cold air when the door opened was a distraction.