122 East 28th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackduckny.com/
- Phone: 2122045240
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 4:00 to Midnight (Friday & Saturday till 1:00 am)
Dinner: 4:00 to 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hector Tice
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Events
From intimate gatherings, wedding receptions, from extraordinary company parties, the Black Duck is the unparalleled choice for events for 20 to 75 guests. The Black Duck offers a truly one-of-a-kind New York City event experience.
• 1000 square feet
• Prime Midtown location
• 2 levels, New York City’s only Alabaster Bar
• Large or intimate events
• Plasma displays & 6' projection screens
• Events of 20-100 guests
- Private Party Facilities: Perfect for Reunions, Birthday Parties, Office Parties, and Holiday Events.
- Private Party Contact: Evelyn Marrero 2122045226
- Entertainment: Join us on Friday and Saturday nights for Live Jazz! With no cover charge and all the amenities, you are sure to have a great time! The music starts at 8:00 PM. If you seek something more low key, we play the James Bond Film movies all night long.
- Special Events: Join us at the Black Duck this Sunday, February 24, 2013; E!'s Live from the Red Carpet coverage begins at 7 p.m., followed by ABC's red carpet broadcast at 8 p.m., and the 84th Academy Awards at 8:30 p.m.
Vote for Dressed and Worst Dressed
Win the Awards pool
Win a dinner for 2 at the Black Duck
Gift Cards Prizes
Special Oscar Cocktail List
A word from Black Duck
Named after a notoriously elusive rum-running prohibition ship, the Black Duck resides in a beautifully restored 18th century brownstone. Besides the the historical landscape, we offer an array of Contemporary American delicacies served by candlelight. The romantic yet New England inspired décor perfectly compliments the backlit alabaster bar. Our elegant and cozy lounge with a fireplace is perfect for a happy hour drink (served daily from 4:00 - 7:00) or to enjoy the live Jazz performed Friday and Saturday evenings. We end the week by playing the James Bond Film Series on our dining room projector.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Black Duck reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great EveningTinkerDined on 3/16/2014We were in New York to a couple of days and Black Duck had gotten good revues so we decided to have dinner there. It was quiet, not many people there and then we found out the restaurant would be closing down the next day. The meal was great and the presentation was wonderful. Our server was helpful and very attentive. We were sorry to hear it would be closing because it is such an enjoyable place to sit and relax and savor a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate that they're closingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/14/2014A very pleasant meal. The jazz trio that was playing that evening added great ambiance. The ducking was delicious, but the steak slightly overdone.Special Features:
- Black Duck was only so-so.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/13/2014Black Duck was only so-so. While the food was good, our waiter was not well trained and was inattentive, and the room was dark and institutional looking with loud piped in music that was not a positive addition to the dining experience. Even though the chef turned out tasty and well-prepared dishes, given the unappealing ambiance and poor service I'm not surprised that there were only a few other tables of people there when we had dinner. I won't be going back.
- Nice place for relaxing dinnerManhattaniteVIPDined on 3/11/2014I've been to the Black Duck over the past 5 years, the food is consistently good. I especially love the crab cake. Their signature dish, the duck is usually good, but occasionally it's less memorable and just passable. I love that there's a working fireplace during the winter. I've never sat at the bar, but they put a flat screen t.v. with sports there a while ago. I believe that the crowd is half locals like myself and the others are tourists who are staying in the hotel which houses this restaurant. Our friendly waiter Henry informed us that the restaurant will be closed from Monday, March 17. The ownership of the restaurant and hotel will be renovating both the lobby and the restaurant for next 10 months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never knew about this place!omatthew25VIPDined on 3/8/2014Walked by this place 4-5 times a week for months and finally decided to give it a try -- glad we did. The food was succulent -- short rib burger juicy and flavorful, the duck just the right amount of tender. There was a [very good] jazz combo playing, which was nice, though I might have selected a different place for the night if I'd known (we were looking for a quieter, late dinner, and the combo made the atmosphere much more energetic and noisy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and a Must TryRoxieDined on 3/7/2014Small and unique menu. Everything is very good. The service, atmosphere, food and of course the live jazz playing on Friday and Saturday nights. Inside The Park South Hotel. This is a well run establishment. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Food.KarenDLPDined on 3/6/2014Food was excellent, my friend had the pork chop, and she ate every morsel on her plate. I had the pan seared chicken, like butter on the inside with a perfectly seasoned crisp crust on the outside . Mushroom truffle risotto was a perfectly creamy, nutty concoction. My only regret is that I couldn't eat it all !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingKevinVIPDined on 3/5/2014A nice find with good food and service, be sure to save room for desert. The flat iron oatmeal cookie was superb. A comfortable bar scene for after dinner is also a plus.Special Features:
- Great Jazz PlaceNYC4HDLDined on 2/28/2014This cozy gem near Midtown has an eclectic menu, and moderate wine list; both with ample choices for just about any occasion. The Duck Special and the Salmon were especially good. The staff is friendly and accommodating, and the real bonus is the live Jazz on Friday and Saturday nights. I am literally torn between posting this review, and wanting to keep the place a secret, to keep the crowds away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for the nyc restaurantKcufmanVIPDined on 2/28/2014went for the nyc restaurant week - the fish dish and the chicken is average. They are too salty and not too creative. I have to say the truffle fries are great. The iron cast cookie is awesome. Overall, its average for me, nothing to shout about although the live pianist & cellist did make the night much livelier.Special Features:
- Get there fastjump4joyDined on 2/23/2014The food and service were superb. Bottles of wine are offered at 1/2price on Sunday and Monday; great savings; excellent wine list. The restaurant is going through a major revision and work will start the third week in March for 10months so get there quickly if you want to take advantage of this excellent cuisine and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service but worth the waitRacheDined on 2/21/2014It took forever to get seated although we had a reservation. Getting the check also took a while. We also ended up standing by coat check for a few minutes because the hostess went on break. I recommend getting the duck, truffle risotto, and any of their cocktails. My pork chop was really bland. Honestly, I make a better one at home, so don't order that. The ambience is awesome. It has an old school prohibition era feel. I loved it. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic evening with my Lady...sheItsBrooklynmackDined on 2/21/2014Romantic evening with my Lady...she loves this place..always a great dining experience...Special Features:
- DeliciousSamurainekoDined on 2/20/2014The restaurant is on top of its game. Everything is very organized, tables, menu, reservations and especially food. Decor is rich but for the sports minded they still had TVs by the bar. The signature Duck was out of this world and we also enjoyed the arugula salad and mini-burgers. As we were rushed, we did not have time to order much else but the fact that the waiter quickly anticipated our lack of time by bringing the bill without being asked and tending to it immediately said how attentive and concerned he was. I will certainly return to this little gem maybe on a weekend when they have a jazz band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third or fourthdebBVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was our third or fourth time at the Black Duck. The duck dishes, of course, are awesome. Others in our party had salmon and chicken dishes that they said were excellent as well. The bar is very pleasant and the bartenders made good wine and cocktail recommendations. We have been there for happy hour before dinner a couple of times and have always enjoyed the atmosphere. Overall, this is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Day SpotBryanDined on 2/14/2014Had a nice dinner with my date. We started with the miniburgers - the patties on these had more flavor than I think I've ever experienced on a burger. Delicious. Their special duck dish was also fantastic, and paired with a good bottle of wine at a reasonable price, we were very happy once we finished. Really nice meal, would go again for another occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day HitAtomsDined on 2/14/2014I went for Valentine's Day and it was fantastic. My girlfriend had the Jolly Rancher drink that they have. She absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was exceptional. The dim lighting and candles made me look dashing(Narcissistic much?) The Jazz group also made everything just right. The music wasn't too loud and my girlfriend was memorized by the music. I would say update that piano though. It sounds like something out of a 1920's movie. The food was delicious. I had the hanger steak. Overall, try this place out after 8:30 when the music starts. Its worth the whileSpecial Features:
- one of my local favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014This little restaurant has a relaxed ambience, great food, reliable service. It's a breath of fresh air in the neighborhood, which is dominated by Asian restaurants. I've eaten here several times and had fish, chicken and pork dishes along with appetizers and desserts. My only complaints are that the menu seems to have gotten a little heavier than a couple of years ago. The wine list is somewhat limited but I liked the wine I ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fiancée and I love BlackKrishDined on 2/7/2014My fiancée and I love Black Duck and its our "go to" when we want to unwind ons Friday night. The jazz is outstanding and provides such a intimate, relaxing feel which we love. The menu had a nice selection and we really lived the muscles and calamari. My salmon entree was very good as well. The service is always great - they have a friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly enjoyablecyphermemberVIPDined on 2/1/2014Can't think of a better place for a weekend evening of good food, music and comfortable setting at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- A really nice neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014A really nice neighborhood restaurant. Diverse menu. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs Gordon Ramsay interventionGemGenieDined on 1/31/2014I was very disappointed with The Black Duck. Particularly since I had already ordered a few gift certificates for them that now I will have to use. The menu and wine by the glass list is very small. I was surprised that they didn't have even one Malbec, Shiraz, or Merlot on the wine menu. The décor is in desperate need of being re-done. It was so dark I couldn't see the black napkin on the black table cloth that was laying under the bread plate. I hesitated to sit in my chair because it was so badly worn and looked like something had been spilled on it and never cleaned up. I could go on about the food but I think the only thing that could save this place is Gordon Ramsay's intervention.
- Wonderful food, too noisyKitKatDined on 1/31/2014Great food and service, the pork chop is terrific as is the shrimp/crab cake. However, the jazz band that comes on Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 is way too loud for that early in the evening. It was difficult to have a conversation at the table.Special Features:
- Nice place!TopazDined on 1/5/2014The staff was great. Nice cozy place for a drink am a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantCarolynDined on 1/4/2014Fireplace, great presentation, delicious, large dinner portions, in a very cozy restaurant. Our server was not the right fit for this job but the manager was outstanding. Introduced himself, shook hands and talked with all of the guests. It was a very nice evening. Everyone in my family loved their dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night on NYE!EricEatsEverythingVIPDined on 12/31/2013A group of 6 of us (3 couples) reserved a table at Black Duck for NYE on 12/31/13. Prix Fixe, 4-course meal. Everything was delicious, server was great, drinks weren't cheap, live jazz band started at 9. Very cool! Would definitely go back for a more 'normal' night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here, food wasTomDDined on 12/31/2013First time here, food was good especially considering it was New Year's Eve and restaurant was booked solid. Service did not suffer a bit.Special Features:
- a reliable good timechiefDined on 12/27/2013At Black Duck you will be warmly greeted on arrival. Our request for table in rear was honored. Service was attentive without being pressured. Fish and duck are two things that they do very well very consistently. And we have enjoyed the music every time that we have been there. We have also received the same kind of reviews/reactions from friends that we have sent and/or brought there.The wine was as good as the very satisfying food..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than We ExpectedGrandebay13Dined on 12/27/2013My husband and I had dinner at "The Black Duck". My husband loves duck. He is usually disappointed. This was one of the first times that he wasn't. The food was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for both service as well as food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Pleasant SurpriseHappytasterDined on 12/24/2013Although native New Yorkers we have not stayed at the Park South in a few years. We are happy to see that the Black Duck has continues to provide a throughly enjoyable meal. We always have the duck one night and it does not disappoint. Fresh ingredients and pleasant service are still there top menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy atmosphere and just-right menuFrosterDined on 12/22/2013This is the kind of place that we need more of in Manhattan. Moderate prices, comforting cuisine, charming staff. A great place to bring a date or to meet friends, relax and chat. The food is well-executed though it will win no awards for innovation. (But sometimes a nice piece of salmon or a perfectly roasted half chicken is exactly what one wants, yes?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The noise level was a bitJeff42Dined on 12/20/2013The noise level was a bit high, but our round table for six (6) was perfect. Service was great and the food outstanding!Special Features:
- wonderful eveningLunchmuncherDined on 11/30/2013We were there Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. The restaurant was not crowded and therefore not noisy. Excellent service by a very attentive waiter. Squash soup with marshmallow was delicious; as was the bronzini. After dinner we had a cognac in front of the fireplace - romantic. We left just before the live music started.The Black Duck a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic OutingShifty316Dined on 11/29/2013My fiancé and I have made a tradition of eating at the Black Duck since we first met 5 years ago. We found this restaurant almost by accident. It has become our favorite spot for special romantic dinners. This time we were celebrating my fiancé's birthday. We had the Salmon, and it was fantastic! We also enjoyed the Jazz band's performance that night. They provided great background conversational music for our romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Thanksgiving DinnerLynznZoeDined on 11/28/2013Lovely little restaurant, cosy and friendly. Unfortunately as we ate towards the end of the Thanksgiving afternoon (table booked for 8 o'clock) the service was a little 'jaded' and the food cold. Overall a lovely find, and good value for a nice menu - shame we felt we should have been there earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here before and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2013Been here before and always look forward to returning. The food is always delicious and presented well. We shared a half bottle of wine and that was perfect. Wait staff is friendly and courteous. Kitchen could be a little faster. We did relish having some time between our shared appetizer of ussels (which were amazing and plentiful) but it took so long before our main course and we had to get to the theatre so we couldn't do coffee or dessert and we've been spoiled by their delicious desserts before. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old style place with a nicecyphermemberVIPDined on 11/13/2013Old style place with a nice feeling. Good food, reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Decent Food, Great VenueJasonVIPDined on 11/8/2013The good at the restaurant was only okay, but the live music and atmosphere were great. Black Duck provides a unique experience that allows you to feel like you are outside of the city while still being there. The burger and salads were much better than the duck. Desserts were only average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy birthdayNycfoodieDined on 10/26/2013When booking on opentable I noted that we were celebrating a birthday and they brought us two complimentary glasses of champagne and put a candle in our dessert without me even asking... Great service and the food was excellent! They also have a happy hour that I will definitely be going back for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a festive atmosphereArtLDined on 10/25/2013We ate on a Friday night when a jazz band was playing. It set the right tone in the dimmed down restaurant. The food was superb and carefully prepared in presentation and taste. We had the Berkshire pork, burger, and the crab cake which were all good.