1721 W Division St
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackbullchicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 227-8600
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Friday 3:00pm - 2:00am
Saturday 3:00pm- 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Music is also at the heart of BLACK BULL, where carefully crafted playlists place guests in their favorite pub madrileño. Artists from Spain, playing 80s rock en español, flamenco and bohemian classics are seamlessly mixed with American and British rock.
A word from Black Bull
BLACK BULL pays homage to the tapas and pintxos bars of Spain, full of warmth and vivacity, a meeting point for friends, where an unassuming entrance conceals a boisterous setting serving simple yet surprising food. At the heart of Black Bull is the custom of tapeo, a treasured Spanish custom of drinking and socializing, grazing on food, bouncing from one dish to another, always accompanied by a little wine, sangria or beer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Black Bull - Best Restaurants in Bucktown / Wicker Park ›
Black Bull reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (25)romantic (23)hot spot (23)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (11)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic Food and ServicePun0105Dined on 11/14/2014We loved the food and the service here! We had Sylvia as our waitress and she was fantastic. She knew the menu inside out and made some great recommendations. The squid ink pallela was delicious as were the prawns. The group I was with commented on her excellent service and she truly made us feel like we were in Spain and having an authentic Spanish meal. The restaurant was busy and energetic, but Sylvia was checking in on us to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. We will definitely be back to Black Bull!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!alariosDined on 11/8/2014I was NOT dissapointed! The food was phenominal! The service was outstanding! My wife and I loved it! I recommend the Croquetas de Jamon and the bacon wrapped dates! Un-real! Those things are SO GOOOOD!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eat and shareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Black Bull is not a place to scrutinize value (cost per bite might be kind of high depending on what you order), but the food is good, meant to be shared with just a few bites each, and it's a fun and energetic atmosphere. Great place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014It was pretty good but definitely over priced for the quality.Special Features:
- Much BetterNoNameNoSloganVIPDined on 10/21/2014After not going here for about 7 months, decided to give this place another chance. Glad we did. Service was a complete 180 (Michael was superb, and spot on with wine and drink recommendations). Food was excellent (strongly recommend the new cod item on the menu). Although not eating meat right now, there was still plenty to choose from with regards to fish or veggie dishes. Prawns had a great char to them, wonderful flavor. The cod dish, I really wish was an full entree size; it was that good, and very hearty for cod. The potato pancake was nice and chunky, but a bit runny in the middle. And the Tuna Tatake was perfectly black and blue. Now, to check out the lounge upstairs...Special Features:
- The ups & downs of Black BullSweetWillieDined on 10/19/2014We were thrilled with the first item that came to our table, then hits & misses. The first item was one of the best things I've eaten all year (the Escalivada Con Anchoas which is Roasted Eggplant, Onion, Piquillo Peppers, Anchovies). Even if you go for this one dish, go. It was amazing. An example of a miss was the Carrillada Ibérica De Bellota, which was a braised Iberian Pork Cheek, Mushroom Confit, Potato Foam. Perhaps it was my expectation that wasn't met but when I picture mushroom confit, I imagine delectable, slow cooked, rich pieces of mushrooms. Instead the mushroom confit was more like mushroom soup. There were enough hits that we will go back at some point and try some other dishes.
- maximmaximDined on 10/17/2014took them an hour to seat us - 9PM reservation, saw a table at 10PM! much OVERBOOKED! unreasonable wait... great Spanish tapas! Tijuana crowd)) May be the best tapas in town but do not go on the weekend. try them on wed or thu - that is when I may be backSpecial Features:
- Fun Energetic Night, Good FoodJandTVIPDined on 10/17/2014We tried it and liked it. Good menus selections, excellent serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional quality!DiehardDined on 10/17/2014Made reservations at 7 but we arrived early and it was no problem. The food was amazing - we had mojitos and sangria....for starters we had the jamon, salchicha and cheese. Super delicious! Also tried the tortilla de patata which my date loved. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Loved itjpilz402VIPDined on 10/7/2014Quiet dinner with my daughter who is vegan. We both enjoyed our meals and left satisfied. I had the pork cheek as recommended by our server. It was vey tasty. My daughter had a potato dish she said was fantastic. Finished with flan and chocolate moesse, both well done. The decor was nicely done, and we will be back.Special Features:
- Tapas n' Sangrias, mmmmFinetravellerDined on 10/4/2014We were needin' a place on a Saturday night for family and friends. Wanted something a little different than the usual American bar food. With a little research we found Black Bull on W. Division. Walked in from a cool misty night and found a tight, warm little restaurant. Our server was attentive and informed. She helped us with choices, as we wanted vegetarian to full on carnivore. It was all there on the menu. We would recommend to all. Sangrias kept the conversations and the laughs coming all nite. Walked out with stomachs full and wallet not empty. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKnaggersDined on 9/26/2014The food was great. The service was phenomenal. The ambiance is fun. I definitely recommend checking this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the service/food!IknowgreatfoodVIPDined on 9/25/2014I loved the scallops and the bacon wrapped dates the best! The grilled pawns and grilled octopus were also good as well. The chocolate lava cake with a side scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream was the way to go to finish off a delicious dinner! Thank you, Black Bull!Special Features:
- Nice Time, Good Food, Great ServerDFIDinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Can't say all the food was incredible, but most of it was really good. Lots of items are "typical" tapas plates, but with more creativity and bolder flavors. Also, decent size portions for tapas and decent prices. Sangria (white and red) was great. Above all, our server, Michelle, was great. Friendly, helpful, pleasant and working hard.
- PerfectAngieDined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious. The atmosphere was great. Our server Sarah was wonderful, and it made for a perfect girls night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPeruvianfoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014In all categories. From Host to bartender server to the chefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecenttoronegroDined on 8/16/2014Food was fine, but better tapas can be found for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic tapasimpunityjaneDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding service. The waiter was beyond excellent. Food five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black bull didn't receive us !isabellefromFranceVIPDined on 8/10/2014Our reservation was at 9:30 on last sunday. We arrived at 9:25 et mentioned that we had a reservation. The restaurant was empty, just a man behind a bar, very surprised that we could have this reservation. A woman came and said to us that the kitchen was closed. The computer was already switched off. When she saw our faces she said may be they could find something for us. We have chosen this restaurant to eat tapas, which means cooking and not eating a sandwich alone with people looking at you, waiting for one thing : your departure ! So we took a taxi again (12$ each ride) and came back to our hotel near Water Tower. It was too late to find another restaurant so we used the dining-room service . What a nice evening !
- Madelineo808Dined on 8/8/2014The restaurant made my birthday. It was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!JTeatsDined on 8/1/2014Great first experience at Black Bull. Myself and two girlfriends had a fun and delicious dinner on Friday 8/1. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Black Bull reviews archive.
- Fabulous placePeggyDined on 7/11/2014We ate outside, great, friendly waitress! Tapas was outstanding! Never felt rushed! Was a very festive feeling and we'd definitely return!Special Features:
- BlandTeriDined on 7/10/2014The service is the only thing preventing me from giving this place one star. The food was underseasoned and just underwhelming. Pretty much the worst tapas we've ever had.
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2014We lived in Madrid for 6 years and were very happy to find out that the folks at Black Bull are authentic Spaniards from Valencia, Madrid and other places. The food is authentic. Unas croquetas de jamón muy ricas!Special Features:
- Great service and small platesLuckygirlChicago2013VIPDined on 7/2/2014Our server Sylvia really made our experience special. She had wonderful recommendations for food, Scallops are a must try! The restaurant is really inviting and would be good for both groups or date night.Special Features:
- Perfect summer night!LAA35VIPDined on 6/29/2014We enjoyed the red sangria while sitting on the patio. It is delicious and authentic tasting. It just like the sangria in Spain. The meat and cheese tray is our favorite starter. We ate the lamb special and the pork special at the bottom of the menu with some brussel sprouts. Delicious! It was a perfect summer Sunday on the patio!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightNothardtopleaseDined on 6/28/2014It was fun and vibrant there with our party of 8. Some of our guests were not as impressed with the food as others, but overall I would return. Really enjoyed the red sangria. It got quite lively in there by the end of dinner.Special Features:
- MissAreanaDined on 6/28/2014Food was fantastic and our server JJ aka Jaime (in spanish) was all around awesome! The prices are affordable and just loved the place Will def come back with the family and friends :)Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceiDesignDined on 6/27/2014It's a small restaurant, and once the place got crowded, our waitress was not keeping up. Their tables are too small for tapas eating, so I made sure we ordered only 2 tapas at a time. At one point we ordered clams, and she brought out mussels. When I told here they were clams, she insisted I was wrong. Thankfully the table next to us, since they were practically sitting with us, butted in and told her I was right and they're not clams. She took them away and then she forgot to bring back the clam order. Eventually a different waitress brought them, by which time we were out of drinks and the clams were terrible, but everything else we had was good. It then took forever to get the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeCeceDined on 6/22/2014Nice place, nice feel, good friendly service. But, having traveled to Spain several times I was disappointed in the food. It was OK but not great. Other places in the city hit the mark much more so than Black Bull.
- Solid food, service could use workallaboutserviceDined on 6/20/2014We ate in a group of 8 outside on a busy Friday night. That said, our server was great. Nothing was forgotten or delayed and she was attentive. What I found lacking was the support staff -- people keeping our water glasses full, switching out plates when one filled up with mussel shells, etc. If those details had been better attended to, the overall experience would have improved.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014Food was good, service was very very slow; it took about 20 mins to get a waitress and we had to ask where she was. Food was good, but took a very long time to come outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Elizibeth was are server and she was very helpful and very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open table reservation issueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014This is the second time open table has made an error in a reservation. They put it 30 minutes later and for 6 instead of two. Fortunately each time the restaurant was able to accommodate us. As always black bull was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014First time trying this place, definitely a must see. The food was delicious and looking forward to coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Took 20 minutes to get seated with reservation- not worth making the reservation
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014My reservation for two of us happened to be 30 minutes before the Friday rush hit, so the place was empty when we got there. We only ordered 3 small plates, which were all great. We had two pitchers of sangria, so we occupied the table for a very long time. Early on, they asked up to move to an adjacent table so they could accommodate a large party. Our server moved our drinks and food, and then she brought us new plates and silverware. We didn't mind moving as the place was getting to be standing room only, and the second table was further away from the crowd. Our server never rushed us despite us being at there for more than 3 hours, and provided some good recommendations on the menu. Can't wait to go back again.
- What a treatMlash6Dined on 5/11/2014Waitstaff and chef were outstanding! Food recommendations were "spot on".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceFoodie4lifeDined on 4/25/2014Food was unbelievable. Great service. Perfect ambiance. Delicious sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ugh....NoNameNoSloganVIPDined on 4/19/2014Our server did not seem to be at all functioning upstairs. Flaky when she was around, but that was hardly at all. They way the black paella, which was highly recommended by the host and server, was extremely underwhelming and incredibly bland. We didn't finish it. Requested the scallops come with no bacon; they came with bacon. We actually got pushback for asking to return a dish that was not made to specifications, like we were crazy that we didn't want the bacon. If someone in the party does not eat pork, we do not want pork. Fortunately, they did cook another order, but it seemed like a such a chore. Sangrias were quite bitter/acidic. Stick with the Caipirinha.