Black Betty Burger & Winebar
606 1st St SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1M6Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: CAN$30 and under
Black Betty Burger & Winebar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackbettybwb.com/
- Phone: 4032654230x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Mon-Fri 11am till late.
Saturday 6pm till late .
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Burgers, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Derek Wilkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon! Please visit our website for details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Kittleson 4032654230x
- Entertainment: Featuring live music every Wednesday for Wine Wednesday.
- Special Events: Inquire within or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 6th Ave 1st Street
- Public Transit: C-Train and most major bus routes within one block.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Daytime public parkades in surrounding area such as James Short Parkade located on 5th Avenue and 1st Street SW.
Street parking is also available by meter during business hours.
A word from Black Betty Burger & Winebar
Black Betty Burger & Winebar is pleased to offer Calgary a new twist on the traditional burger joint, providing a casual yet upscale dining and entertainment experience showcasing a unique contemporary menu with a substantial beer, wine and cocktail list. We will be featuring live music and exceptional happy hours within our French inspired decor meets Hollywood walls. Think classic rock haven and wine cellar all in one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Black Betty Burger & Winebar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (77)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)special occasion (7)notable wine list (6)romantic (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Very GoodWiezieDined on 8/21/2014Great place for lunch - the parm fries were a little strange (flavor), but other than that, we all enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjtinyycDined on 8/20/2014I ordered the bacon & blue cheese burger and a Velvet Devil merlot. Delicious! Thank you for the delicious meal, I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good but chillyWearyEpicureanDined on 8/14/2014Staff were pleasant and handled losing my open table reservation well. Food was good but smallish portions for those that like to eat big. The booth we were given in the basement may as well have been in the freezer as it was directly in the path of all the air conditioning.
- DisappointingOliviaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Been wanting to come here for some time. I had the special burger for August, which was a pork burger with sweet & sour sauce with pineapple slaw with onion rings as the side. The burger was just okay; I didn't find it had much flavor at all and I didn't see any pineapple in the pineapple slaw. The onion rings were cold and burnt, didn't really have any Cajun seasoning at all on them, but quite a bit of honey. Service was a little slow. We were charged $4 for water even though we specified tap water. Didn't really mind the $4 but would have liked the server to have mentioned it. Many restaurants to try, so probably won't go back.
- Great for a quick lunch!AnitaDined on 7/31/2014If you arrive on time and order quickly (I recommend to browse the menu before going to the restaurant) you can get in and out in 1 hour during lunch time. Great burgers and sandwiches. Good music. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewerDined on 7/29/2014Unfortunately, we had a bad dining experience at Black Betty. Our Big Betty salad did not have toasted quinoa and when we asked if they could provide it, we received a cup of cold, soggy quinoa. The service was poor as our waitress was hard to find. The final straw was raw chicken in our salads, explained by the manager as the way they cook the chicken makes it look pink but it is actually cooked. In the end, we did not pay for our meal which was great that they did something about the service and food we received, but I am not sure I would give them another try.
- Great spot, but not for lunchNikiBDined on 7/25/2014I went to this restaurant with a couple friends for lunch. I've been here a few times before and the food is always great, but the kitchen is always slow over the lunch hour. Knowing this, we ordered our food and drinks as soon as the waitress came by about 10 min. after we were seated. We informed her we had less than an hour for lunch , but she assured us it would be enough time. We placed our orders. Our drinks came out right away, however we waited over 30 min, then reminded the waitress we were in a rush and our food had not arrived. She went to check on it 10 minutes later, we told her that with our limited time, we'd have to get it to go. The food was good but the cook mixed our sides up and it was cool when we finally ate at work.Special Features:
- Good option for a downtown burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014This place turns into a nightclub after hours and I think they are more focused on that business than than the restaurant. The food was pretty good, we all had a variation of a burger and everyone left happy. The service was ok but not great, food took a bit longer than you would expect for lunchtime and the plates came out about 5-10 minutes apart leaving half of our party watching the other half eat. All in all a decent place for the money.Special Features:
- Just ok this time aroundBryAGDined on 7/23/2014Went for lunch with a colleague during the day, restaurant was super busy and service received was subpar. Other service staff had to follow up after our server as even they noticed we waited for such lengths for drinks and meals. Portion sizes were ok but not in line with menu prices. I won't be making an effort to get back here again in the near future as other restos like Charcut have better lunch prices and express service for those on a schedule. 5 dollar glasses of wine made the experience tolerable.
- Wine bar?DetroitVisitorVIPDined on 7/21/2014Black Betty calls itself a wine bar. It has a very modest wine list, and only a couple bottles over $100, both mass produced brands. We ordered one of the more expensive bottles and asked that it be decanted. We were told they don't have any decanters. The food was otherwise what you'd expect in a burger joint.
- Good food and fast service.HZProjectsDined on 7/15/2014I held a marketing luncheon at Black Betty. The basement was quiet enough for discussions, the service was excellent, and the food was quite satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistantfoodie1Dined on 7/15/2014Burgers were overwhelmed by the large buns. Onion rings were cold and included more honey than onions.Special Features:
- CarnivoreDined on 7/14/2014Great burgers, friendly polite service, food delivery needs speeding up a little and I struggled to read the menu with the very low (dim) lighting in the basement area of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, no service at allOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014We showed up for lunch just after noon, usual restaurants downtown get you in and out within an hour since they know we have to be back at work. we sat down and a waitress brought us our drinks. we asked to order but she said she wasnt our waitress and would grab her. 10 minutes later we asked her again if we could order, same story, another 10 minutes goes by and nobody takes our order or comes by to check. anyone we asked said they werent our waitress so we had to wait. after 25 minutes we left. I have no idea how good the food is, but the service was awful. Either they hire imcompetent people, or have idiot management that cant figure out that all tables need to be assigned. whatever the case, I wont be back over lunch.
- Best beer list and burgers in townFussyMareDined on 7/8/2014I brought my American customers for pre-rodeo burgers and beers. They were over-the-moon happy with Black Betty! Couldn't find a better place to introduce out of towners to true Calgarian style great food and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoniasandsDined on 6/27/2014Despite the reviews about poor service we went here for dinner. We ended up being seated upstairs and had a great time. They had a fabulous little band playing and the atmosphere was excellent. Try the bacon wrapped figs for an appie - they were unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Service was very slow and confused with different people serving and taking orders.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014Great place, quick service. You have to try the Parm fries..... amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Black Betty'sSusanKVIPDined on 6/13/2014I have always wanted to try Black Betty's, as it seemed like a fun place, however, I will probably never return..... Pros - good wine selection and decent sized glasses, Wonton nachos were delicious. Burgers were decent, but expensive Cons - service left a lot to be desired, server was too busy talking to other servers and customers; forgot to bring water to one guest who asked for it twice and a glass of wine was ordered and never received. Food - here were the problems, lobster ravioli was served FROZEN, replacement was not served until the rest of the table was finished their entrees, pasta was not cooked in another dish, and the beef tartar was served without the egg, when asked why were told that they "ran out of eggs"
- LOVE THIS PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014I've been to Black Betty's several times, we absolutely LOVE going there...the atmosphere is so neat and the servers are always super fun hosts!! Love the balsamic caesar...yummmmm, all of it :)Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsJustMyOpinionDined on 6/10/2014Food is great, but our server tried to up-sell us on everything, without mentioning the additional price. And they charge you for everything ... even water to start your meal (not bottled - apparently "filtered" - but I didn't ask for "filtered") or mustard for your burger because it didn't come with it! Cocktails were a lil' over priced ... $10-$12 per. It becomes a little pricey to go for lunch when burgers are $17, cocktails $12, they up-sell and charge for EVERYTHING that is usually complimentary! I understand what they are trying to provide, I understand the up-sell, and even the pricing being downtown; but instead of the taste of their great food in my mouth when I left - it was the sour taste of feeling nickel & dimed!.Special Features:
- Great For Lunch!Foodie1976Dined on 6/10/2014I've been here for dinner before and wasn't really happy with the service but I thought I would try it again but this time for lunch. I brought the girls from the office hoping that we could find a new spot for group lunches. Lately the downtown food scene has been bad for poor food, terrible service (especially for groups of women) and long wait times over the noon hour. I am pleased to say, the food was delicious, our server was friendly and attentive (despite how busy it was) and we were in and out within the hour! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch (but pricey)GoodFoodDined on 6/10/2014Our party of four had a pretty good experience. Two of us ordered burgers (Return of the Mack); one had a salmon burger; and one had the soup of the day (mushroom) and the chickpea salad. All meals were served quickly and were delicious! We had a very outgoing server who was attentive and efficient, however tried to upcharge us on everything. Only drawback was the price - lunch for 4 came in around $88 without drinks. Ensure that you don't pay for regular water.Special Features:
- Fun placeGareDined on 6/7/2014Cool atmosphere and great food. It was a quiet night so we had great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceFoodSnobDined on 6/6/2014The food was good, but I wouldn't rate it any higher than like... Joey's or Earls. The ambiance though was lovely. Our server was friendly and attentive, but let us eat in peace. She gave good recommendations for our meals and I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Black Betty ReviewJadeDined on 5/30/2014The special, waffles with fried chicken was really tasty and a large portion. I didn't like how dark it was in the basement or that we had to sit in high style chairs. Also, noticed that they seemed to stick all the women clientele in the basement, while putting the men upstairs.Special Features:
- They charge for water?! WTF?!gotolunchgalVIPDined on 5/29/20144 of us went out to Black Betty’s to try it for lunch. Overall the experience was pretty good but BEWARE we all ordered regular water (not sparkling) with a twist of lemon and they charged us $2 per person!!! For plain water! I completely understand paying for sparking water but plain water?? We did complain and the waitress did take it off our bill. My advice to you is to check your bill before you throw your credit card down to make sure you are being charged appropriately.
- Another great lunchLuvfoodDined on 5/20/2014New menu since my last visit so got to try the Sate Beef sandwich. It was good but would have liked more Sate flavour and more cilantro. Served quickly and in and out in an hour. Impressive. Po Betty shrimp sandwich looked great will try that next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken & waffles yummy.nikkiheinDined on 5/14/2014The Chicken & waffles special was great (without the sausage gravy).I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just a burger joint....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014We needed more napkins the burgers were so juicy; who ever thought of honey on onion rings???? Pure genius!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Great Burgers. Needs more attention. When we were there is was pretty quite. Definitely worth considering.Special Features:
- Dam good burgers!Foodie1976Dined on 5/9/2014I love the decor of the restaurant. It reminds me of places I've been to in Vegas. So that is fun! The menu is good for foodies. The burgers are delicious and cocktails are refreshing. I would recommend this place if you're looking for good food and a hot spot to be (great for the after work crowd) but beware that service could definitely be improved! Our server was not very attentive and the restaurant was not that busy so that was disappointing. Other than that, I would say it's worth a visit. I'd definitely give it another try because the food was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun DifferenceNewtoTownDined on 5/9/2014I've only had the burgers but they're really good, the beer's nice and cold and it has a fun atmosphere. Great for a different lunch option in Calgary.Special Features:
- Not GreatcraigVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food is just ok but lacked attention to detail and flavour. Many restaurants put little effort into making a great salad. the noise is excessive and the basement room lacks character and charm. For the price I expected more. Probably won't go back.
- Good on weeknights, avoid weekendsAllyDined on 5/7/2014I had dinner here both on a Wednesday and a Friday. Wednesday was great. So good that we decided to come back on Saturday to see how the nightclub was. We booked a table and ordered dinner and drinks. Our server advised that because the place was "transitioning" to a nightclub we had to settle up. Of course. No complaints. Then not 10 minutes later we were advised that if we wanted to keep our seats we had to buy bottle service. I'm sorry.....WHAT?! This is not Vegas. We had planned to stay and likely spend another 200-300 dollars on drinks between the 6 of us. But we promptly left. That is ridiculous. I will never go back for a weeknight evening. Lunch or midweek dinner only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good, not outstandingparisiensVIPDined on 5/7/2014We expected to have great burgers at this place. They were tasty, but a little dry. The servers outfits are black with something animal print. One girl has on stay-up stockings with animal print at the thigh. Looked like it should have been worn at a strip joint. NOT an appropriate place to conduct a business lunch!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomeBigUnitDined on 5/7/2014I go to Betty's often -- a couple times a month, for lunch AND dinner, and the food is always impeccable. Best part? It's not JUST burgers...and I LOVE burgers. There are options for vegans as well -- definitely a great spot to go. Ask for Miaka -- she's a very attentive and speedy server!!Special Features:
- The following 238 reviews are from the Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews archive.
- something offOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014Service was very slow. At one point we wondered if our food would ever come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchJD32Dined on 4/29/2014Perfect meal with a client for lunch. Good food and quick service. Glad we decided to go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger-licious!cclancyDined on 4/29/2014I've only been here twice (so far!), had a a different burger each time, and was equally impressed with the taste and quality of the both! The honey-chipotle onion rings are amazing!!Special Features: