Black Betty Burger & Winebar
606 1st St SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1M6Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: CAN$30 and under
Black Betty Burger & Winebar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackbettybwb.com/
- Phone: 4032654230x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Mon-Fri 11am till late.
Saturday 6pm till late .
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Burgers, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Derek Wilkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon! Please visit our website for details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Kittleson 4032654230x
- Entertainment: Featuring live music every Wednesday for Wine Wednesday.
- Special Events: Inquire within or email email@example.com
- Cross Street: 6th Ave 1st Street
- Public Transit: C-Train and most major bus routes within one block.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Daytime public parkades in surrounding area such as James Short Parkade located on 5th Avenue and 1st Street SW.
Street parking is also available by meter during business hours.
A word from Black Betty Burger & Winebar
Black Betty Burger & Winebar is pleased to offer Calgary a new twist on the traditional burger joint, providing a casual yet upscale dining and entertainment experience showcasing a unique contemporary menu with a substantial beer, wine and cocktail list. We will be featuring live music and exceptional happy hours within our French inspired decor meets Hollywood walls. Think classic rock haven and wine cellar all in one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Black Betty Burger & Winebar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (65)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014Quality lunch fare, very tasty. Service was good.Special Features:
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/29/2014good vibe, creative food, great cocktails, fantastic serviceSpecial Features:
- Great downtown lunch spotFoodfanDined on 10/23/2014The food was really great - fabulous burgers! Atmosphere was upbeat and inviting. Service was attentive and quick enough to accommodate a one hour lunch break.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014I could go on and on about our server, but I will sum it up by her taking the dinner order when a guest was not at the table yet, and trying to do the same for dessert. Multiple beverages not making the table. And a very rushed pace. But last calling us at 9:00 was just ridiculous. Burger was okay. Bacon wrapped figs were amazing. Overall a bad birthday experience.
- HorribleChristineJeanetteDined on 10/21/2014I was very excited about dining at this restaurant but my friend who I was with warned me that she had some bad experiences there before. I should have listened to her. I ordered the toasted chick pea salad with chicken. I was suprised at the size - the portion I got was maybe half a cup. The worst part was the chicken. It looked processed and it was very salty. I have a salt sensitive palate so I didn't mention anything, thinking it could be me. My friends Alfredo dish was dry - she had to ask for Alfredo sauce on the side. The real kicker was when they charged us for water at the table. Service was good - food was very bad. I did post a review on Yelp. I won't be returning.
- Amazing service, food not so much3bestfriendsDined on 10/18/2014I can't remember our servers name, but she was extremely attentive in ensuring that our wine glasses were always full. She was genuine and really took care of us. Now the food... It is a "burger bar" so our group of 3 each ordered a burger. Nobody wanted to say anything, in an attempt not to be negative, but the minute someone mentioned they needed water because their mouth was dry, we all pitched in. The burgers were extremely dry and flavourless, and the buns were giving our mouths the pasties. Normally we will finish a meal, instead we filled up on average French fries and left half our burgers to be taken away. I would not go here again to eat, however the place is cute and would probably be ideal for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go backHaveStandardsDined on 10/17/2014I made reservations but the hostess didn't have a table waiting for us and we were seated at the only avail table--directly in front of the mens washroom. I ordered three different entrees and they were all out of what I wanted. The place did not look as nice as what the prices charge. The only saving grace was our waitress, who was really good. All in all, would not go back here.
- YUM! Best food ever!slickoilDined on 10/16/2014if you like Rockabilly/Pin Ups and food with flair than this is definitely the spot for you. Delicious food meets style.Special Features:
- shouldn't charge for waterSilverLeftyVIPDined on 10/16/2014This is a great place and I like that reservations can be booked on OpenTable. Only thing you need to watch for is that if you don't specify, they'll charge you for water. And, the tomato salad swims in olive oil. otherwise, haven't ever been disappointed.Special Features:
- October 16thcriticDined on 10/16/2014Items on the menu were not available or being discontinued. What we did order was NOT cooked properly (steak and chicken). Had to beg the server for refills and to come to the table. General look of the place is shoddy. Will not be back nor would it be recommend to anyone.
- Good business lunchluvreservationsDined on 10/15/2014A pretty decent business lunch destination. The burger was fantastic. A little dark and loud downstairs for a lunch place. Would be a good atmosphere for their after dinner crowd. The service was good. They seemed to have good coverage. I was pleased that they took reservations for lunch and that they use OpenTable for that. Makes planning to take business clients out for lunch a whole lot easier. I will definitely return with clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellaDined on 10/14/2014As a woman, I found the experience uncomfortable. Too many provocative photos of women and at first glance, while I was led to my seat in the basement, I thought it was a strip club because of the photos and the amount of males there - I was the only woman customer at that time in the place. It definitely caters to males. I won't go back.
- Whoa black betty!CleodnineDined on 10/10/2014Definitely a trendy place. Very cute waitress outfits. I had the fried chicken club: It was OK, but unfortunately a little hard to handle and fell apart after the second bite. I prefer meals that aren't an ergonomic challenge and would not recommend the sandwich to the average joe. Stay away from the "Australian Negroni" cocktail, it is the worst drink I have ever experienced..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Burger BarOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014Had the BBQ burger. It was good, but nothing special though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor QualityCLOSEBYDined on 9/30/2014Service is too slow, food is sub par for the price. Attempting to please a varied, high end palette - but missing the mark. Quality and flavour of the food just isn't there. This restauant is relying on location and not on quality food or service.
- Not GreatyumyketchupDined on 9/27/2014They open at 6 my reservation was 6:30pm they were out of a number of items on the menu & wine list. Drinks are over priced & in an attempt to be "kitchy" they're gross combination. The foods nothing to rave about, wish I tried a burger but what I had was super salty, with a stale bun, small & again overpriced!!!! Would have liked to have had dessert but again they were out of the only 1 of 3 I would've liked! Turns into a night club downstairs, gets smoky upstairs & young bouncers are seen spitting chew into Red Bull cans at the door in sight of restaurant guests eating! Yep gross!!Special Features:
- TerribleTimewarpVIPDined on 9/24/2014My second time here, the food was terrible and very very salty, service was lousy, staff is inexperienced. Complained about food and our bill was not adjusted. The manager did not even come to our table. The food is over priced when comparing the size of portions and quality. I will not be going back. Very disappointed.
- Everything was excellentnopeDined on 9/16/2014Fantastic food (as always) Really enjoy Black betty and the great serviceSpecial Features:
- AverageCamoVIPDined on 9/9/2014Burger Patty was huge(maybe a little too big), bun was cold and a little dry. Flavours were good. Music kept being turned up and turned down which was kind of annoying at lunch. Service was excellent and attentive. Must try the onion rings.Special Features:
- Food barely passable/Great ServiceSpackalDined on 9/8/2014Although the service was great, the food was barely passable. Our fries were cold and hard, the sub had about 1/4 mayonnaise on it that was oozing out of all sides, very difficult to hold and eat, the sub bun was hard as if it was left out for the past week.
- always goodDaveyADined on 9/3/2014This a fun location with great burgers and fun times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodWiezieDined on 8/21/2014Great place for lunch - the parm fries were a little strange (flavor), but other than that, we all enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjtinyycDined on 8/20/2014I ordered the bacon & blue cheese burger and a Velvet Devil merlot. Delicious! Thank you for the delicious meal, I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good but chillyWearyEpicureanDined on 8/14/2014Staff were pleasant and handled losing my open table reservation well. Food was good but smallish portions for those that like to eat big. The booth we were given in the basement may as well have been in the freezer as it was directly in the path of all the air conditioning.
- DisappointingOliviaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Been wanting to come here for some time. I had the special burger for August, which was a pork burger with sweet & sour sauce with pineapple slaw with onion rings as the side. The burger was just okay; I didn't find it had much flavor at all and I didn't see any pineapple in the pineapple slaw. The onion rings were cold and burnt, didn't really have any Cajun seasoning at all on them, but quite a bit of honey. Service was a little slow. We were charged $4 for water even though we specified tap water. Didn't really mind the $4 but would have liked the server to have mentioned it. Many restaurants to try, so probably won't go back.
- Great for a quick lunch!AnitaDined on 7/31/2014If you arrive on time and order quickly (I recommend to browse the menu before going to the restaurant) you can get in and out in 1 hour during lunch time. Great burgers and sandwiches. Good music. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewerDined on 7/29/2014Unfortunately, we had a bad dining experience at Black Betty. Our Big Betty salad did not have toasted quinoa and when we asked if they could provide it, we received a cup of cold, soggy quinoa. The service was poor as our waitress was hard to find. The final straw was raw chicken in our salads, explained by the manager as the way they cook the chicken makes it look pink but it is actually cooked. In the end, we did not pay for our meal which was great that they did something about the service and food we received, but I am not sure I would give them another try.
- Great spot, but not for lunchNikiBDined on 7/25/2014I went to this restaurant with a couple friends for lunch. I've been here a few times before and the food is always great, but the kitchen is always slow over the lunch hour. Knowing this, we ordered our food and drinks as soon as the waitress came by about 10 min. after we were seated. We informed her we had less than an hour for lunch , but she assured us it would be enough time. We placed our orders. Our drinks came out right away, however we waited over 30 min, then reminded the waitress we were in a rush and our food had not arrived. She went to check on it 10 minutes later, we told her that with our limited time, we'd have to get it to go. The food was good but the cook mixed our sides up and it was cool when we finally ate at work.Special Features:
- Good option for a downtown burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014This place turns into a nightclub after hours and I think they are more focused on that business than than the restaurant. The food was pretty good, we all had a variation of a burger and everyone left happy. The service was ok but not great, food took a bit longer than you would expect for lunchtime and the plates came out about 5-10 minutes apart leaving half of our party watching the other half eat. All in all a decent place for the money.Special Features:
- Just ok this time aroundBryAGDined on 7/23/2014Went for lunch with a colleague during the day, restaurant was super busy and service received was subpar. Other service staff had to follow up after our server as even they noticed we waited for such lengths for drinks and meals. Portion sizes were ok but not in line with menu prices. I won't be making an effort to get back here again in the near future as other restos like Charcut have better lunch prices and express service for those on a schedule. 5 dollar glasses of wine made the experience tolerable.
- Wine bar?DetroitVisitorVIPDined on 7/21/2014Black Betty calls itself a wine bar. It has a very modest wine list, and only a couple bottles over $100, both mass produced brands. We ordered one of the more expensive bottles and asked that it be decanted. We were told they don't have any decanters. The food was otherwise what you'd expect in a burger joint.
- Good food and fast service.HZProjectsDined on 7/15/2014I held a marketing luncheon at Black Betty. The basement was quiet enough for discussions, the service was excellent, and the food was quite satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistantfoodie1Dined on 7/15/2014Burgers were overwhelmed by the large buns. Onion rings were cold and included more honey than onions.Special Features:
- CarnivoreDined on 7/14/2014Great burgers, friendly polite service, food delivery needs speeding up a little and I struggled to read the menu with the very low (dim) lighting in the basement area of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, no service at allOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014We showed up for lunch just after noon, usual restaurants downtown get you in and out within an hour since they know we have to be back at work. we sat down and a waitress brought us our drinks. we asked to order but she said she wasnt our waitress and would grab her. 10 minutes later we asked her again if we could order, same story, another 10 minutes goes by and nobody takes our order or comes by to check. anyone we asked said they werent our waitress so we had to wait. after 25 minutes we left. I have no idea how good the food is, but the service was awful. Either they hire imcompetent people, or have idiot management that cant figure out that all tables need to be assigned. whatever the case, I wont be back over lunch.
- Best beer list and burgers in townFussyMareDined on 7/8/2014I brought my American customers for pre-rodeo burgers and beers. They were over-the-moon happy with Black Betty! Couldn't find a better place to introduce out of towners to true Calgarian style great food and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 262 reviews are from the Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews archive.
- SoniasandsDined on 6/27/2014Despite the reviews about poor service we went here for dinner. We ended up being seated upstairs and had a great time. They had a fabulous little band playing and the atmosphere was excellent. Try the bacon wrapped figs for an appie - they were unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushiloveVIPDined on 6/26/2014We came for a work function which was a special occasion. The service was excellent and we all really enjoyed our meals. This was my first time trying the appetizers, which were all really good. I had the chicken and waffles, which I would probably not order again. Nothing wrong with the food at all - just not my thing.Special Features:
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Service was very slow and confused with different people serving and taking orders.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014Great place, quick service. You have to try the Parm fries..... amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.