Black Betty Burger & Winebar
606 1st St SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1M6Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: CAN$30 and under
Black Betty Burger & Winebar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blackbettybwb.com/
- Phone: (403) 265-4230
- Hours of Operation:
Open Mon-Fri 11am till late.
Saturday 6pm till late .
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Burgers, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Derek Wilkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon! Please visit our website for details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Kittleson 4032654230x
- Entertainment: Featuring live music every Wednesday for Wine Wednesday.
- Special Events: Inquire within or email email@example.com
- Cross Street: 6th Ave 1st Street
- Public Transit: C-Train and most major bus routes within one block.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Daytime public parkades in surrounding area such as James Short Parkade located on 5th Avenue and 1st Street SW.
Street parking is also available by meter during business hours.
A word from Black Betty Burger & Winebar
Black Betty Burger & Winebar is pleased to offer Calgary a new twist on the traditional burger joint, providing a casual yet upscale dining and entertainment experience showcasing a unique contemporary menu with a substantial beer, wine and cocktail list. We will be featuring live music and exceptional happy hours within our French inspired decor meets Hollywood walls. Think classic rock haven and wine cellar all in one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Black Betty Burger & Winebar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (68)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (28)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (12)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (6)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- great spotdateDined on 11/20/2014The burgers and onion rings are awesome. Great decor and the service has always been good to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool vibe, good foodnickrasDined on 11/19/2014The homemade burgers were very tasty and the onion rings were great! Although, I was disappointed with the caesar salad, it was kind of bland. We also had the spring rolls to start and they were delicious except for the cilantro, which the menu failed to mention. But thankfully there was only a hint of it. Our server was friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed. We definitely enjoyed our evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2014if you are going for a quick lunch...Don't come here! Slow service, food is not bad...but came out cold
- Always great!calgarycutieDined on 11/13/2014Third time at Black Betty and wasn't disappointed! Each time I've visited there has been a different menu so I've been able to try awesome things. Most recently I had the seasonal turkey burger - YUM. Service usually on par. Price is good, standard for downtown. Awesome spot for work day lunch and great proximity to the train if you're meeting someone in the core. I would definitely recommend Black Betty as a must see in Calgary and take all my visitors here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger of the MonthBigBoyDined on 11/10/2014I have been to the Black Betty on numerous occasions and have always been impressed with the food. They recently added the burger of the month and I have tried it twice now. Both feature burgers were fantastic and I would highly recommend trying them. The onion rings are a great compliment and are a must try item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but deliciousWolfieMcGDined on 11/8/2014Downstairs was quite empty early in the evening, but the music was loud and got turned up a few notches every 20 min or so, despite there being only about 6 people eating in the room between 7pm and 8pm. Made more sense as the seats filled but the noise level was aggressive for a dinnertime with few customers. The food was great and burgers live up to hype. Worth the prices, gorgeous building and decor. Try the dessert... but be ready to speak loudly to your companions if you are seated downstairs for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food diminished by serviceJackrabbitDined on 11/7/2014No complaints about the food - whether one of the delicious burgers or a new take on an old favourite like a clubhouse, the food here is inventive and well-executed. The noise level is a little off putting but probably is to be expected for a downtown, after work kind of place on a Friday evening. Service was distracted and missed the mark on creating the feeling that they were genuinely glad to have you there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...alwaysout2eatDined on 11/7/2014We wanted to try something different and maybe a bit out of our way. This was recommended. Place felt more like a nightclub than a restaurant/pub. I was disappointed with the signature dishes.
- Hit and MissFoodieVIPDined on 11/6/2014I love BBs for the astounding burgers and wonderful cocktail menu. What I don't love about BBs is the upstairs - cold and drafty. Unfortunately, although I'd been telling my date all about the wonderful burgers, we had to pass because BBs was hosting a party downstairs and the only seating available was in the aforementioned cold & drafty upstairs. Must remember to call and ask what's open before booking again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgers and moreCalgary4togoDined on 11/6/2014Great place for a quick lunch. I usually order the veggie burger (excellent), but I felt like trashing it out and had the chicken and waffles instead. The waffle was nice, but the chicken was a bit dry. My table-mate had the poutine and I tried some and it was great but lots! Needless to say, that neither was a health lunch, but you're got to do sometimes.Special Features:
- Gourmet BurgersYumyum78Dined on 11/6/2014I am not a huge burger fan, however the burgers here are not to be missed. With essentially organic meat, freshly baked buns, and beautifully delicious toppings, this is one of the best burger joints in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Nice friendly service.DdavidoffDined on 11/4/2014Will go again. And again. And again. I had the burger which I recomend and the onion rings. Which have local honey on them from the waitress' family farm. So cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014Quality lunch fare, very tasty. Service was good.Special Features:
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/29/2014good vibe, creative food, great cocktails, fantastic serviceSpecial Features:
- Great downtown lunch spotFoodfanDined on 10/23/2014The food was really great - fabulous burgers! Atmosphere was upbeat and inviting. Service was attentive and quick enough to accommodate a one hour lunch break.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014I could go on and on about our server, but I will sum it up by her taking the dinner order when a guest was not at the table yet, and trying to do the same for dessert. Multiple beverages not making the table. And a very rushed pace. But last calling us at 9:00 was just ridiculous. Burger was okay. Bacon wrapped figs were amazing. Overall a bad birthday experience.
- HorribleChristineJeanetteDined on 10/21/2014I was very excited about dining at this restaurant but my friend who I was with warned me that she had some bad experiences there before. I should have listened to her. I ordered the toasted chick pea salad with chicken. I was suprised at the size - the portion I got was maybe half a cup. The worst part was the chicken. It looked processed and it was very salty. I have a salt sensitive palate so I didn't mention anything, thinking it could be me. My friends Alfredo dish was dry - she had to ask for Alfredo sauce on the side. The real kicker was when they charged us for water at the table. Service was good - food was very bad. I did post a review on Yelp. I won't be returning.
- Amazing service, food not so much3bestfriendsDined on 10/18/2014I can't remember our servers name, but she was extremely attentive in ensuring that our wine glasses were always full. She was genuine and really took care of us. Now the food... It is a "burger bar" so our group of 3 each ordered a burger. Nobody wanted to say anything, in an attempt not to be negative, but the minute someone mentioned they needed water because their mouth was dry, we all pitched in. The burgers were extremely dry and flavourless, and the buns were giving our mouths the pasties. Normally we will finish a meal, instead we filled up on average French fries and left half our burgers to be taken away. I would not go here again to eat, however the place is cute and would probably be ideal for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't go backHaveStandardsDined on 10/17/2014I made reservations but the hostess didn't have a table waiting for us and we were seated at the only avail table--directly in front of the mens washroom. I ordered three different entrees and they were all out of what I wanted. The place did not look as nice as what the prices charge. The only saving grace was our waitress, who was really good. All in all, would not go back here.
- YUM! Best food ever!slickoilDined on 10/16/2014if you like Rockabilly/Pin Ups and food with flair than this is definitely the spot for you. Delicious food meets style.Special Features:
- shouldn't charge for waterSilverLeftyVIPDined on 10/16/2014This is a great place and I like that reservations can be booked on OpenTable. Only thing you need to watch for is that if you don't specify, they'll charge you for water. And, the tomato salad swims in olive oil. otherwise, haven't ever been disappointed.Special Features:
- October 16thcriticDined on 10/16/2014Items on the menu were not available or being discontinued. What we did order was NOT cooked properly (steak and chicken). Had to beg the server for refills and to come to the table. General look of the place is shoddy. Will not be back nor would it be recommend to anyone.
- Good business lunchluvreservationsDined on 10/15/2014A pretty decent business lunch destination. The burger was fantastic. A little dark and loud downstairs for a lunch place. Would be a good atmosphere for their after dinner crowd. The service was good. They seemed to have good coverage. I was pleased that they took reservations for lunch and that they use OpenTable for that. Makes planning to take business clients out for lunch a whole lot easier. I will definitely return with clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellaDined on 10/14/2014As a woman, I found the experience uncomfortable. Too many provocative photos of women and at first glance, while I was led to my seat in the basement, I thought it was a strip club because of the photos and the amount of males there - I was the only woman customer at that time in the place. It definitely caters to males. I won't go back.
- Whoa black betty!CleodnineDined on 10/10/2014Definitely a trendy place. Very cute waitress outfits. I had the fried chicken club: It was OK, but unfortunately a little hard to handle and fell apart after the second bite. I prefer meals that aren't an ergonomic challenge and would not recommend the sandwich to the average joe. Stay away from the "Australian Negroni" cocktail, it is the worst drink I have ever experienced..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Burger BarOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014Had the BBQ burger. It was good, but nothing special though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor QualityCLOSEBYDined on 9/30/2014Service is too slow, food is sub par for the price. Attempting to please a varied, high end palette - but missing the mark. Quality and flavour of the food just isn't there. This restauant is relying on location and not on quality food or service.
- Not GreatyumyketchupDined on 9/27/2014They open at 6 my reservation was 6:30pm they were out of a number of items on the menu & wine list. Drinks are over priced & in an attempt to be "kitchy" they're gross combination. The foods nothing to rave about, wish I tried a burger but what I had was super salty, with a stale bun, small & again overpriced!!!! Would have liked to have had dessert but again they were out of the only 1 of 3 I would've liked! Turns into a night club downstairs, gets smoky upstairs & young bouncers are seen spitting chew into Red Bull cans at the door in sight of restaurant guests eating! Yep gross!!Special Features:
- TerribleTimewarpVIPDined on 9/24/2014My second time here, the food was terrible and very very salty, service was lousy, staff is inexperienced. Complained about food and our bill was not adjusted. The manager did not even come to our table. The food is over priced when comparing the size of portions and quality. I will not be going back. Very disappointed.
- Everything was excellentnopeDined on 9/16/2014Fantastic food (as always) Really enjoy Black betty and the great serviceSpecial Features:
- AverageCamoVIPDined on 9/9/2014Burger Patty was huge(maybe a little too big), bun was cold and a little dry. Flavours were good. Music kept being turned up and turned down which was kind of annoying at lunch. Service was excellent and attentive. Must try the onion rings.Special Features:
- Food barely passable/Great ServiceSpackalDined on 9/8/2014Although the service was great, the food was barely passable. Our fries were cold and hard, the sub had about 1/4 mayonnaise on it that was oozing out of all sides, very difficult to hold and eat, the sub bun was hard as if it was left out for the past week.
- always goodDaveyADined on 9/3/2014This a fun location with great burgers and fun times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodWiezieDined on 8/21/2014Great place for lunch - the parm fries were a little strange (flavor), but other than that, we all enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjtinyycDined on 8/20/2014I ordered the bacon & blue cheese burger and a Velvet Devil merlot. Delicious! Thank you for the delicious meal, I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good but chillyWearyEpicureanDined on 8/14/2014Staff were pleasant and handled losing my open table reservation well. Food was good but smallish portions for those that like to eat big. The booth we were given in the basement may as well have been in the freezer as it was directly in the path of all the air conditioning.
- DisappointingOliviaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Been wanting to come here for some time. I had the special burger for August, which was a pork burger with sweet & sour sauce with pineapple slaw with onion rings as the side. The burger was just okay; I didn't find it had much flavor at all and I didn't see any pineapple in the pineapple slaw. The onion rings were cold and burnt, didn't really have any Cajun seasoning at all on them, but quite a bit of honey. Service was a little slow. We were charged $4 for water even though we specified tap water. Didn't really mind the $4 but would have liked the server to have mentioned it. Many restaurants to try, so probably won't go back.
- Great for a quick lunch!AnitaDined on 7/31/2014If you arrive on time and order quickly (I recommend to browse the menu before going to the restaurant) you can get in and out in 1 hour during lunch time. Great burgers and sandwiches. Good music. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 272 reviews are from the Black Betty Burger & Winebar reviews archive.
- ReviewerDined on 7/29/2014Unfortunately, we had a bad dining experience at Black Betty. Our Big Betty salad did not have toasted quinoa and when we asked if they could provide it, we received a cup of cold, soggy quinoa. The service was poor as our waitress was hard to find. The final straw was raw chicken in our salads, explained by the manager as the way they cook the chicken makes it look pink but it is actually cooked. In the end, we did not pay for our meal which was great that they did something about the service and food we received, but I am not sure I would give them another try.
- Great spot, but not for lunchNikiBDined on 7/25/2014I went to this restaurant with a couple friends for lunch. I've been here a few times before and the food is always great, but the kitchen is always slow over the lunch hour. Knowing this, we ordered our food and drinks as soon as the waitress came by about 10 min. after we were seated. We informed her we had less than an hour for lunch , but she assured us it would be enough time. We placed our orders. Our drinks came out right away, however we waited over 30 min, then reminded the waitress we were in a rush and our food had not arrived. She went to check on it 10 minutes later, we told her that with our limited time, we'd have to get it to go. The food was good but the cook mixed our sides up and it was cool when we finally ate at work.Special Features: