BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove
17 North Market Street
Selinsgrove, PA 17870Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bjsribs.com/
- Phone: 5703749841
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Joe Storer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate Private parties up to 70 guests on weekdays or weeknights. On most weekends, we can accommodate a Private party of up to 30 guests. We have special Party Menus available to meet your needs, but we will accommodate a full menu group.
- Private Party Contact: Cathy Oehrig 5703749841
A word from BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove
Located in charming downtown Selinsgrove, just blocks from Susquehanna University. BJ's Steak & Rib House is housed in a historic old hotel dating to 1874. Established in 1982, BJ's is known throughout the valley as the quality dining destination. The restaurant features thick-cut USDA Choice Black Angus Steaks, authentic smoked-in-house barbecue babyback ribs, fresh seafood selections, burgers, sandwiches, & salads - all served until closing! Our Bar & Cocktail Lounge features 12 fresh brewed beers on tap & a value priced quality Wine List. At BJ's you are assured quality food with personal quality service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove - Best Restaurants in Selinsgrove ›
BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (20)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (16)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014I've eaten here 4 times over the past year as I traveled through the area. Always great food and a fun bar area.Special Features:
- Love the raw barLovetofindagoodrestaurantDined on 8/22/2014We are from out of town and love the raw bar and seafood so much at BJ's that we specifically make our hotel reservation around its location. The lobster and steak are terrific. Staff is always friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Amazing Food and Service!SavvyTravvyDined on 8/11/2014BJ's Steak and Ribs is a fantastic regional treasure! We enjoyed the Rib Sampler for a birthday celebration. This style of BBQ comes with a kick (heat), but it's an addition to the usual, not a drawback. The corn bread starter was like dessert, and the desserts were totally decadent. We enjoyed the coconut cream gnache pie and Snickers cake (two slices on the Snickers)! A pleasant surprise was coffee in a French press. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!OUTSTANDINGDined on 8/1/2014All I can say is that everything was better then expected! My wife and I normally dined at the Danville location but due to the fire we have had to use the Selinsgrove location for my Chicago steak and Bongo Bongo fix. The food was incredible but more importantly the service was out of this world! I wish I could remember his name but you need to harness his skills and pass them off to you other staff members! Way to go! We will be seeing you again very soon!Special Features:
- Very disappointedEattolivelivetoeatDined on 7/27/2014We had asked to be seated in the room to see the musician Michi and her band, but were not able to be accommodated, even though we had made a reservation online. Nowhere on the web site does it say that you have to request a specific rm. We asked for the recorded music to be turned off so we could hear the band. Our request was refused. On the children's menu, we asked for a salad substitute, but could only have it with an upcharge. Just make that an option as a side on the kid's menu. I ordered oyster stew. There were only three tiny oysters and some bland cream broth - very disappointing. The menu is overpriced and the food is underwhelming. We will not be back and we will not recommend this restaurant to friends.
- Excellent Beef ruined by Chef!BeantownFoodieDined on 7/26/2014If you go to BJ's, eat the fish!!! It is fresh and expertly prepared--I am from Boston and was very impressed! The beef on the other hand was totally ruined by the chef. My husband ordered the dry aged beef medium-rare. It came our without the slightest hint of pink on it. The taste of the beef was delicious but it was ridiculously overcooked and tough. So we sent it back, reiterated that he wanted medium-rare, and the second one came back medium-well to well. Unbelievable! Shame on them for ruining good beef.
- Date NightDinnerFor2Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I drove over an hour just to eat at BJ's for my birthday dinner, since the one in Danville burnt down. The drive was worth it! The food was fantastic. We sat in the bar area at a high top table overlooking downtown Selinsgrove and the outside dinning area. It wasn't overly noisy, we could communicate without having to talk over music. Our waitress was very friendly and it was just a nice atmosphere. We will definitely be back and I will most likely have my husband's 40th birthday dinner at BJ's. I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions or just a nice dinner out for steak and seafood.Special Features:
- Not the normal exceptional lunchEdandJoyceDined on 7/23/2014We arrived and was greeted immediately, stated we have made an open table reservation, the person said I have no idea about that. We were seated with menus and ordered drinks, when the drinks came we commented to the waitress that we usually get cherries, comment was ignored. Then our apps came out and we asked for corn bread, which is usually just brought to the table. The waitress said there is a three dollar charge. So we ordered bread. The cornbread is always exceptional, but half the bread in the basket was burnt. We ordered a combination of items from the raw bar and a sandwich. We asked for no tomato. The entree came out with tomatoes, so it was sent back.Special Features:
- Always hits the spot!EdandJoyceDined on 7/8/2014From the signature Dip to the awesome raw bar BJs can't be beat. We were regulars at the Danville location and look forward to the re opening!Special Features:
- another fantastic mealGR8GAZOODined on 7/6/2014Once again another enjoyable evening at a Selinsgrove premiere restaurant. Not sure what the owner is putting in the staff's water, but it works well. Our waiter was professional, always asking if everything was ok and even apologized at the beginning of the meal for being 1 min late to take drink orders. I wish other regional wait staff would watch this guy in action and follow his lead. There would be less dissatisfied customers. The food was at the usual high level of excellence. Try the home made potato cakes. Incredible does not start to describe them. Do yourself a favor and visit BJs. You will not be sorry!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BjsdmanDined on 6/14/2014made a reservation oinline since I heard that it is always busy and was glad I did place was packed for a very good reason, took my family which includes two children younger than 8. The choice for me was obvious steak and rib, kids choose other stuff and my gf had the crab cakes. All the food was fantastic, the kids loved it and so did I, our waitress was wonderful and talked to the kids and always smiled. I drove 45 minutes to try this place and will drive it again to come back, if you are in the Selinsgrove area you must go there.Special Features:
- Nice Place!tweetiesDined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant. Our steaks were tender and delicious, although I would have liked a little more seasoning on mine. We especially enjoyed their Bongo Bongo Dip appetizer - it's fantastic! I could just eat that for a meal and be happy. The ambience is great, and we were there on a summer night that was fairly quiet. I'm guessing that when the local university is in full swing, BJ's is pretty busy and loud, but I think it would still be enjoyable. Our server was pretty good, although a little slow in refilling my husband's water. But she was friendly and easily answered any questions we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly AwesomeIPNetGeekVIPDined on 6/12/2014So many great things here. The oysters and steaks were absolutely fantastic. Steaks were great cuts and cooked to perfection. They had a wide selection of fresh oysters that change by the day. As silly as it is, the best part was the cornbread with honey butter. I'm not sure what secret recipe they use, but the cornbread is more like a cake and quite addictive. The service was superb and they had a good selection of wine and beer to choose from. The interior is rustic but comfortable. This place is an absolute gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation celebration!proudBUgradDined on 5/16/2014Had a great time with my family and friends. Drinks, food (steaks and oysters) were exceptional. I had a variety of oysters, and they came with a description and name card to help me decide which ones I liked best. Definitely check this place out. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BJ's in SelinsgroveKibbsterDined on 5/12/2014Had excellent Parmesan-crusted haddock. Dlicious coffee, too. I'll go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayEatNout35Dined on 5/11/2014My mother, husband and I went for lunch on Mother's Day. Of course the restaurant was packed with big family groups. When making reservation, should have asked for a booth to be in smaller room that isn't as LOUD. My mother is 92, wears hearing aids and adjusted for less background noise. Sweet waitress stood next to each of us as we ordered so she could hear us. Food was good. Mother, normally light eater, ate most of her steak, took the leftovers including perfectly cooked green beans. High praise from her! Husband had chicken - said best dish he'd had there. Iced tea served with simple syrup- lovely touch. Will return because they take reservations, not long to be seated and everyone can find something they like.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceSusqueUnivFamDined on 5/11/2014We keep coming back to BJs because of their consistently pleasing food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsSUMomDined on 5/10/2014BJ's in Selinsgrove is a local hot spot, popular with both locals and the college students and their familes. The menu has enough variety to satisfy both those looking for a higher end meal (steak) or casual (sandwiches/salads) I usually have the steak sandwich which is a decent size and done according to your order but my family has had the fish, the barbeque, and the fried oysters - all good. The oyster bar is excellent! Although one would not usually expect an inland location in a small town to be a destination for raw oysters such is the case. The variety of oysters is good, and the oysters themselves are fresh and delicious. The bar also has a fair choice of beer. Overall a excellent choice for dinner.Special Features:
- Disappointing.foodie2Dined on 5/5/2014Waitress took our order then came back some ten minutes later to say they were out of fish. Notice on board in main dining area was also outdated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIRTHDAY DINNERFOODIEDined on 5/4/2014HAD ASKED IN ADVANCE THRU THIS SITE TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE AS A BIRTHDAY SURPRISE FOR A PERSON IN R PARTY ................NEVER MENTIONED THIS TO THE WAITRESS. WHEN R MEAL WAS COMPLETED THE WAITRESS BROUGHT A YUMMY LOOKING PARFAIT W/ A LIGHTED CANDLE ON TOP TO THE PERSON. THE BIRTHDAY GIRL WAS CELEBRATING HER 24TH AND WAS TAKEN BY SURPRISE AS WE SANG "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" TO HER. I WAS IMPRESSED THAT I NEVER HAD TO MENTION THIS FACT TO R WAITRESS.............IT WAS JUST DONE ..............ALL FROM ONE EMAIL! SERVICE AND FOOD = GREAT! ATTENTION TO DETAIL = GREATER!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lve2eatDined on 5/2/2014The offerings are very good, raw bar is great if you like that. Have been going here for years, and most menu revamps have been acceptable, but this last one has cut out a lot of our favorites and the menu is pretty small now. No pasta to be had, which is disappointing. The cowboy ribeye is really good though. Just missing some old faves...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 236 reviews are from the BJ's Steak & Rib House - Selinsgrove reviews archive.
- Birthday funBongocrazyDined on 4/5/2014I brought two freinds out for their birthday. It was perfect. Great food and great service made it all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good birthday....birthdaygirlDined on 3/22/2014I really do think this can be a nice restaurant - however, our dining experience 3/22/14 was not good at all. First, we were led upstairs to a table in the corner. Their upstairs is very very crowded. In about a half hour it was filled with a couple of large parties and of course four people right next to us. It was very noisy. We could NOT talk amongst ourselves. Our waiter was nice but he was overworked. I ordered the BBQ platter and initially asked for the garlic mashed potatoes, but then changed my mind and asked for a salad instead. I found out later that I was charged $3.00 extra for the salad. I thought I was substituting it for the potatoes. I feel the waiter should have said something. Then all of my meats were kind of tough.
- Great MealGR8GAZOODined on 3/22/2014The meal and the service is top of the line. We have been there numerous times, each time is better. Try the Bisque! It is incredible. The oyster bar is amazing. The staff is friendly and inviting. You will never go wrong at this restaurant. !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better the first timejmevball28Dined on 3/16/2014This is our 2nd visit, we meet my parents here because it's a halfway point from where I live. The service is always consistent and friendly and the ambience is cozy while spacious. The food was just ok this time, scallops were not seared well, and my mother's greek beef was strange, the ribs were excellent however and were definitely the highlight of the meal. I guess everyone should have stuck with what the place is known for. I would still go again, perhaps to see the night scene a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMeggyDined on 3/1/2014Recently moved to the region and this restaurant was recommended for their steaks. We found the entrance crowded and then upon being seated found the noise level was really unacceptable. This is NOT a fine dining restaurant but their prices are certainly that of fine dining. The food was good and the steak was tender enough to use a butter knife to cut. The other in our party of 2 ordered surf and turf and found the lobster perfect. We ordered oysters Rockefeller which were delicious but at $2.45 each ... ridiculous! The total for our meal was ridiculously costly for the lack of ambience. The only other option for any type of quiet is in the bar. Doubtful we will return.Special Features:
- Very good dry aged steaks.MarkDined on 2/22/2014We were celebrating my wifes birthday and decided on BJ's in Selinsgrove. The table was ready and we were seated on time. The waitress was prompt and courteous and helpful with special selections from the menu. Our dry aged ribeye steaks were very tender and juicy all cooked to the desired temperature. The garlic mash side was fantastic too. Our meals were accompanied by a wonderful glass of cabernet. The french press coffee was great and the desserts are all to die for. My wifes dessert was free for her birthday, nice touch. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!LiliDined on 2/22/2014BJs is our 'go-to' restaurant for special occasions and family dinners while my so attends Bucknell university. The raw bar is superb -as good as if not better than any you will find in NYC and surrounding areas( that is where we normally dine). We tried the gongo dip as an appetizer-by far the best version of spinach artichoke dip ever!!!!! The dining room is energetic and you do expect to be there for some time as it is always quite busy during normal dining hours. The food does take some time but the warm bread and corn bread, a family favorite, keep you busy. Stick with the crab cakes or burgers and you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotFresserDined on 2/15/2014Always a great stop for those not into the national chain setting. Great food, lively ambiance and friendly staff make this a great place to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was delicioushungrycoupleDined on 2/14/2014The bongo-bongo appetizer was so good we almost didn't need the entree. Everything was great!Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration!CarrieDined on 2/7/2014We had an excellent meal, wonderful atmosphere and a great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ave looking place,above ave foodSUMomDined on 1/18/2014the ambiance when you come into this place may remind you of your average neighborhood hole-in-the-wall bar, but the food is definitely way above that. Sure there's comfort food and bar food staples but also upscale steaks and oysters. Particularly good - the pulled pork nacho appetizer. We had the half shell oysters and they were good - meaty and fresh tasting. whether you want a fancy steak dinner or soup and appetizers they have something on the menu for whatever mood or occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Option to the chain restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/20/2013I've gone to BJs for years. It's good in that it's not Appleby's or a chain eatery, of which there are many in this part of PA. It's the only place I know of in the area where you can get fresh oysters. But BJs is hit or miss in quality. I've ordered steaks (that and ribs are their thing) asking for medium and gotten well. I've had overcooked fish. My friend said the broccoli she ordered was mushy. I ordered a steak salad and was pleasantly surprised: it was delicious, the meat was perfect. If you want better than Denny's, this is a good option, unless you are willing to drive farther north (maybe 10 miles) to Lewisburg where you have a few more options. If you order one of BJs pricier steaks, make sure they cook it properly and to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu. One of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013Great Menu. One of my favorite restaurants. My wife and I love the oyster bar.Special Features:
- Great seafood!qbertDined on 12/7/2013The oyster bar is reason enough to visit here. That said, the steak I had was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomHTomHVIPDined on 11/30/2013Food great as always but server Randi was amazing in her service and warmth and friendliness! The best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdinaryMitchDined on 11/24/2013Received fair review because my entree of a of a Rib/shrimp/chicken barbecue sample was overcooked and dry.
- Special nightDatenightDined on 11/22/2013This is a great place! Food was excellent waitress was pleasant and attentive but not overkill. It was a wonderful place to start a date night with my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't make a Special Trip.JerseyLoversDined on 11/8/2013First, you have to consider the Area. It's a small town with no major draw as far as nightlife or fine dining. You have a choice of 2 restaurants in the fine dining category. The Spicy Calamari is ordinary, better cooking at home. The Oyster Bar is excellent. The Aged steaks were good but lacked any flavor or seasoning. The crab cakes were nothing outside of ordinary. All things considered,if you are there, in the area, it's worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Family WeekendSUmomDined on 11/1/2013We met our son, a student at Susquehanna University, for dinner the Friday night of Family Weekend. We have dined here previously and know how wonderful the food is! Everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.