56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154336300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (128)special occasion (126)fit for foodies (78)vibrant bar scene (76)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (54)hot spot (45)late-night find (30)good for groups (30)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- First time at BixSanFran2014Dined on 9/9/2014We found this restaurant on-line searching for somewhere nice to dine in San Fran with music in the background. It was perfect. Our waiter was fantastic but unfortunately we didn't get his name, on the receipt his initial was AJ A. He was very knowledgable about the food and wine. Our starters were potato pillows with American caviar and the crab rolls , small portions for some people but very tasty. For mains we had the pacific swordfish and the pork chop....we would recommend to try both. We both tried the warm chocolate brioche pudding and the plum cobbler with ginger ice cream we were split on this as one of us isn't a chocolate pudding fan ...would highly recommend this restaurant. Dined on the 9th sept .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- khjeatsDined on 9/9/2014The appetizers were tasty but entrees were nothing special...particularly at this price point. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- punctualVIPDined on 9/8/2014A great evening, tremendous food. Service was perfect. All courses were presented in a professional manner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Had a small table a dark corner by an exit. Not what we had expected.
- Always Love Bixjps5000VIPDined on 9/6/2014Have eaten and Bix many times...it has a great special occasion feel...good food good service...fun.Special Features:
- Good food, priceyAddictedDined on 9/5/2014The food is good with unique dishes but pricey for small portions. Especially the cocktails small glasses for double digit prices. Service was lacking. Had to really work the waiter to get a recommendation. Felt like he was rushing to turn the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it moreKayroDined on 9/4/2014Last time I was at Bix, many of you weren't even out of diapers. So the fact that it has lasted 25+ years must mean it's really good, right? Well, it's still got that supper-club feel, cave-like and dim. Our waiter was very professional. I did not find the food to be exceptional. The deviled eggs with truffle oil were fine. The swordfish on a bed of squash with a few tiny tomatoes was not bad, but was mediocre. I can't personally report on the open-faced burger w/truffled fries, but my husband was satisfied. Somehow, I hoped for more. I thought the menu was limited. My first cocktail seemed okay but the second tasted weird, and when replacing it didn't make a difference our waiter graciously took it off the bill.Special Features:
- Delicious but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014The food and service were fantastic, but for $34, I expect more then a few tiny pieces of lobster in the lobster spaghetti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimJVIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistently excellent...great atmosphere and music...interesting food and conscientious service...thoughtful restaurant manager allows us to select our preferred seating...Special Features:
- dining outDevineLadyDined on 8/31/2014We were a group of 7, service was fair, food was good. My upset was that we brought in a bottle of wine, a little larger than most because we were 7 people and they charged us double corkage because of the size of the bottle which we felt was not fair and they would not adjust the bill. Because of this I will not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Asked our server for another butter and her comment was--you have on--she did not notice it belonged to my guest Bad overall attitude with all the servers--like we were doing them a favor for eating at their establishment!Special Features:
- It's better at Bix!raeraeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our anniversary celebration at Bix was very special. This is a favorite of ours in San Francisco. Signature cocktails, lovely food, attentive service -- a romantic restaurant, upscale speakeasy atmosphere. Dress up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!WineLoverDined on 8/29/2014Bix is the best! Great food, great service, great ambience! Perfect for a romantic date or fun, adult dinner party!Special Features:
- Special Occaisionserverschild1Dined on 8/27/2014The ambience is Art Deco 20-30s San Francisco with dim lights, little lamps on tables, a wide, curving staircase to upstairs dining and a lively bar downstairs with white jacketed, attentive bartenders. Recorded jazz played downstairs while we dined. If you go in late afternoon/ early evening when the sun is bright, allow some time for your eyes to adjust as it's very dark. All table servers at our large, rounded booth were excellent. Can't say enough about the service. As for the food, I really enjoyed the deviled egg hors d'oeuvre and wished I could have had more than one half of one. We shared an order among the six of us. The lobster pasta was ok, not bad, just ok. Loved the bananas foster as well. I'd go again, just for drinks & apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2Dined on 8/27/2014I appreciate you recognizing that we were celebrating a birthday and the note at the table and spoon of sorbet was nice, thank you.Upon departure you had a large group siting outside drinking champagne and very intoxicated. They took over the entire street and our Uber driver was unable to get to pick us up. The drunk party had 2 Uber cars just waiting for them to get themselves together and load the cars. . I can't say this would be a restaurant that have on list to return. We felt our waiter was not excited to accommodate us. I had to ask him to tell us about the menu. He cited only the most expensive items and unable to elaborate on anything. It kind of killed our appetite and we ordered apps and wine only.
- Loved ItBaseballMomDined on 8/24/2014We had an early dinner reservation. Admittedly we were still full from a foodie event we just attended. I was concerned that they would be irritated that we only wanted drinks and appetizers. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Our waiter was a true professional and treated us like we had ordered the most expensive items on the menu. Our "snacks" were fabulous as were the desserts we shared. The bread pudding was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleiteDined on 8/21/2014The food at Bix's was great (my husband wasn't crazy for his lobster spaghetti but the appetizers, tomato cart, and my steak were all fantastic), and the service in both the bar and the restaurant was outstanding. My only complaint is that we were on time for our reservation - a few minutes early maybe - and we had to wait a significant time for a table. Which might have been fine if it weren't for the fact that the bar is tiny and there were no seats available there because people without reservations were eating dinner at the bar. We overheard a comment from someone else that led us to believe that this is a pretty common occurrence. Despite that, I would recommend Bix to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirdmanDined on 8/20/2014Reliably exceptional dining experience in such a swank spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieTravellerDined on 8/18/2014Bix had been recommended by a work colleague who hadn't been for while. While the quality of the service and the ambience were good, the meal was not on par with the reputation of the restaurant or the cost. As an example, one of our party ordered the Spaghetti with Lobster dish which contained virtually no Lobster. The server did offer to substitute the dish (so as not to delay the meal we elected not to change out the dish), however, for an upscale restaurant, we did not feel that the dish met the minimum standard.
- Fun evening, great atmosphereChrisDined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed our dinner here, food good, great waitress! Neat location, fun bar, nice booth arrangement upstairs.Special Features:
- ExcellentDinnerVIPDined on 8/16/2014My second time here and can't wait to return next time I am in SF. Love the ambiance. The food was fantastic. The server was great but the food runner not so much. Dropped an entree in my brother's lap and ruined the suits of 3 diners. The management and server were extremely apologetic and made amends right away. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF Calif Casual Elegant at its bestjazzoDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful meal, great ambience; impeccable service. Feels like 30's-40's modern but not like a "theme" restaurant; rather, it has an authentic vibe. You almost expect to see Bogie lounging at the bar as the smoke curls upward. Tucked away in an alley with old exposed bricks; valet parking service was prompt and friendly. Pricey? with tip, cocktails and a bottle of wine, $300.00 for two. Special place!!! Highly recommend if it's in your budget.Special Features:
- DPOPTDined on 8/15/2014Good food, fantastic space and wonderful drinks. Our barman was tremendous fun and taught us a lot about Gin martinis and rye whiskey. The Jazz was also excellent. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnersfbayareafoodieDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I very much enjoyed all parts of our Anniversary Dinner at Bix. We felt very well taken care of by the waiter and like we had all the time we desired to enjoy our drinks before dinner. The delivery of each course was well-spaced out and they even gave us a candle in our dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddieNaplesx2Dined on 8/9/2014Bix continues to be an all time favorite. Romantic, sophisticated, wonderful food, corn bisque soup incredible, oysters, yum, fab decor & jazz .... A San Francisco treat.Special Features:
- Too $$$$ for what they offerBecksDined on 8/9/2014Tiny portions, okay but not special food, slow service with attitude, and far to pricey for what they offer. If it was not because of the ambience they would have closed long ago.
- Loved Bix!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014Loved the jazz playing, and the food was excellent. Will definitely go again when we are in SF.Special Features:
- TriciaDined on 8/4/2014Bix is so San Francisco. Beautiful ambiance, great food and service was very professional, yet friendly.Special Features:
- Great New FindmerrynoelDined on 8/2/2014My boyfriend and I went here for our anniversary. We received excellent service, and many congrats. They had a table open or a better one to offer in a few minutes, we opted to wait and had drinks at the bar. The ambiance is fantastic, great old school feeling to the interior, loved having the piano and jazz music. The noise level was never loud despite the live music and packed tables. The food was delicious. We recommend the tomato cart, duck entree and lobster spaghetti. The wine list was a bit pricey for us, but expected with the prices on the rest of the menu, we still found an excellent bottle of cab to share. For dessert we had the chocolate bread pudding, it wasn't too rich, just right Love this place and will visit again!Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre servicegdtangDined on 8/1/2014Made a reso for my birthday. 1 person got stuck at work late, but called Bix to let them know that she was on her way and would arrive ~20 min. The rest of of us were there ready to be seated. The hostess refused to seat us due to their policy that all individuals must be present before a table was seated. She also kept telling us that they needed the table back at 9pm. We reassured her that we understood, and we would be done by 9, but we could still be seated now, but she refused. The policy just doesn't make sense-- the table was sitting empty, while we were standing around the entrance waiting...had we been seated, we would have ordered additional apps & wine. They lost $ by refusing to seat us. Not impressed by their level of service.
- Friday lunch treatMelroseDined on 8/1/2014I've had Friday lunch at Bix on my birthday many times and always enjoyed it. I took a new friend this time and they raved about the ambience, and that is a big part of the experience. It's beautiful. The staff is uniformly welcoming and professional, and the food is nicely done. This visit was slightly less spectacular than prior ones for two reasons: The waiter forgot my drink (truly surprising and quickly remedied) and my Caesar salad seemed rather ordinary: It looked a little messy, the leaves seemed slightly tired. On the other hand, my friend's corn soup and chicken hash were both nice, and my tagliatelle was perfectly done, al dente, bravo. I'd go back again and hope this was just an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The staff was great, the food was great, and the lounge music created a romantic ambiance (piano & vocals). It was tucked away in an alley, which added to its charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014It was amazing WE love this restaurant WE are french and réal lu appreciated the atmosphere the good and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Always enjoy an evening at Bix. It's my go to place for celebrating special occasions, or just when I what to feel like I've stepped into another world. The service is always top notch, the food never disappoints, and the live entertainment is the icing on a delicious cake! Truly one of the best dining experiences in the city!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DsesDined on 7/29/2014Great atmosphere. Food is just ok. Loved the location in the city.
- Not to be missed!ElizaDined on 7/29/2014Every time I go to San Francisco I make a point to go to BIX. Love the Jazz, worth paying attention to, but doesn't disrupt dining and conversation... classic service, fabulous food and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something SpecialSimonDined on 7/27/2014This was our first time visiting Bix. When we set up our reservation I stated that it was for our wedding anniversary. So restaurants on Open Table read the, "Special Attention" box and others don't. We we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess greeted us right away and congratulated us. When she showed us to our table, which was a nice and romantic corner table, Bix had a very nice hand-written card congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. Everything from the service, the food and the feel of the room were just first rate. If you are looking for some place romantic, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time capsuleTrixDined on 7/25/2014I first went to BIX about 20 years ago - to remain this vibrant and relevant after all this time is a worthy accomplishment. It is noisy - but the energy is part of it's personality. Food is not necessarily inspired but very satisfying, flavorful, and with just enough variety to engage most diners appetites. I am sorry I waited so long to return and will not make that mistake again.Special Features:
- Very tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/25/2014All of the things we ordered were excellent. We had 4 different appetizers and they were all wonderful. The entrees were also excellent. It is a bit noisy and was really getting hopping around 8:30 when we left. We would return here.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We were in SF and a friend had recommended this spot, so we gave it a shot. Wow. We are so happy we came. The ambiance is wonderful. Our waiter, Chris, was great and was very knowledgable on the menu. We split an incredible heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella salad that they made table side. We then had a corn soup with a habanero sauce that we shared that had just a hint of heat to it but great flavor. Finally, we had the duck and got the side of smashed potatoes fried in duck fat. The potatoes were indescribably awesome. The only reason I give service 4 stars is that we wanted to try the fish too but knew it was too much food. We found out as we were leaving that we could have ordered half of two dishes. Would still go back though!Special Features: