56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 433-6300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)romantic (112)fit for foodies (96)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (57)neighborhood gem (57)notable wine list (46)good for groups (33)late-night find (28)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great with one badDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 11/20/2014Loved our evening with one exception -- it was SO loud it was hard to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this SF secretJR415Dined on 11/17/2014I have been here for two work dinners and it is a lovely place to bring out of towners. (they have a coat/bag check which is especially great if you are leaving the office then headed to the hotel because you don't have to stop in between to drop the luggage off!) Great menu selections, wonderful service and beautiful decor. The music is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in a terrific atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Food, drink, and the room were all excellent! Service was paced correctly and very professional and conscientious. Music was good, but to set expectations, Bix is set up for you to enjoy your company - the pianoman and songstress do not impose, but relax in the background. If you're looking for a hopping jazz scene, this isn't really it. The bar has a great feel and the bartenders are real pros. I highly recommend Bix and my wife loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the Worst Service EVERWorstServiceVIPDined on 11/12/2014Celebrating a birthday with a party of 8 we ate at Bix's. We brought two bottles of wine to complement the meal. The first bottle was quickly opened and poured at seating. This was odd, because it was before being offered cocktails or water. There was a long delay to open a big tannic wine which needs airing prior to consumption. The waiter hastily poured that wine into 4 glasses right after he opened it, spilling the wine on the table. We instructed him to stop and had to take control over the wine. The manager was informed of what had happened, and he became confrontational and stood by Bix's wine service.. We were told, "we brought the wine and it was our responsibility." He seemed to have no conception on the proper method and etiquette of serving fine wines. We were never provided the opportunity of inspecting or tasting the wines prior to consumption. Decanting was never offered. We usually collect our corks and asked to have them back, to which the manager replied "corks are considered garbage." We were never offered the wine list. Eventually our food arrived, which was awesome. However, the meal ended on an sour note. The celebratory desert and candle arrived with the check. There was no offer of coffee, tea, or desert. It was obvious they wanted us to go. Upon leaving , we informed the manager of some of our concerns. His response was that "some customers are wrong)! Bottom line worse service ever experienced in a restaurant. Not a place to drink or take fine wines.
- Great food!RestaurantseekersVIPDined on 11/11/2014We were were in the city for a getting away with our kids (10, 13) and Bix is one of their favorite restaurants! We ordered the Bone Marrow as an appetizer and our boys always LOVE that item! My son ordered the truffle burger and enjoyed that tremendously and the pork chop was cooked to perfection for myself and my other son. My husband had the swordfish and that was delicious too! All in all, fantastic evening. The only complaint was our reservation was on a Tuesday nite at 8pm, and the noise level was quite loud upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/11/2014Front of the house is more concerned about their policies and policing practices than their customers. Rather than a warm welcome, the hostess seems more focused on what they won't do for you than what they will.Special Features:
- Love this restaurantsusbuzzVIPDined on 11/8/2014Bix is a very fun restaurant. The food and service are excellent. The ambiance is always vibrant and energetic. There is live music and a great bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014The food was incredibly average. Service was dynamite.
- firstvisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Would definitely recommend Bix. They accommodated my request for a romantic table for a special birthday. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- food was a joke and way over pricedletdownon10Dined on 10/30/2014this place is very beautiful and could be a very romantic experience for a special occasion however that was not the case and we were very disappointed. We assumed it would be pricy and that was fine with us but the quality was absent from the time we were greeted to our waiter to the pathetic food and our exit. It's too bad because it really is a cool place. It needs a new manager and chef and a much more pleasant staff. I would say if you try this place out stick with drinks only.Special Features:
- Another Great Bix DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/27/2014We brought clients from out of town, and Bix did not disappoint! A great space, innovative food, fun appetizers, and thoughtful service made for a memorable evening. Great wine list too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We were in the city to celebrate husbands birthday.They had a nice greeting card at our table.Great food,service,and a piano player.The bar was gorgeous.It is dark so reading menu got tricky.Our waiter had a flashlight which helped.I had chicken mash.It is their version of a crab cake but made with chicken. Delish.My husband enjoyed the pork chop.For dessert we shared chocolate bread pudding.A fine ending to a fine meal.I will definately tell everyone what a great place this is.It was one of the highlights of our tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great speakeasy style restaurantmhallVIPDined on 10/25/2014great food,wine and service! The dinning room is so elegant.Live jazz combo too.We all enjoyed the dinner and this is my third time in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SF GEMakkarlaDined on 10/24/2014My son proposed to his girlfriend here last week and the staff was absolutely amazing! The food was superv and the wine list amazing!!Special Features:
- Not up to parDarrenADined on 10/24/2014Have always enjoyed dining here, however last night was a bit of a let down. Overall, the food was not up standard or to our liking and after sending our entree back and getting another dish we still weren't impressed and didn't finish our food. Additionally, the service wasn't up to par and we felt like more of an inconvenience rather than guests for the evening. There's so many wonderful restaurants in SF and this experience left us feeling like it's time to branch out. I wish Bix all the best!
- Single-Getawaysingleloves2dineDined on 10/20/2014I am in my mid 30's and I love exploring new places in the financial district. I heard this place had great ambiance and a great location. I was surprised it was located in an alleyway, but pleasantly awakened when I went inside. I will definitely be re-visiting this place for dinner and a cocktail.Special Features:
- Not Suitable for Music LoversDissatisfiedDined on 10/18/2014Great service! Good Food! BUT useless for enjoying live music. Choose this place because it promised "Live Music". On our visit the Jazz Trio was a Duo for most of the evening BUT, in any case, it could not be heard when you are seated upstairs where most of the Dining seating is. A definite miss on our next visit to San Francisco.
- Just OK jazz & foodLeoinSFVIPDined on 10/17/2014My second time visiting Bix. I was quite frankly underwhelmed. The cocktails were relatively small, in relation to the last time I visited, and the food was just meh. The jazz trio that was downstairs was particularly uninteresting, and felt more like I was at a dinner hour at a bar mitzvah. Not really much excitement there. The pork chop entree was very good, I must say, but the firecracker shrimp appetizer was skimpy and tasted like something you could get at Popeye's. The wine selection was not as impressive as the last time I was there about two years ago, and the wine bottles were incredibly overpriced. Not sure what is going on at Bix, but seems like it needs new energy.Special Features:
- Fun for AllNarwhalbeanDined on 10/15/2014Bix is great! There are not very many places (if any) that you you can go for dinner and get live music almost every night and great food. The place has is very art deco and the service was excellent. All of the staff was on it and very friendly, not to mention the food was really good!Special Features:
- Very nice placerghdexDined on 10/14/2014A very nice and lively place, food is very good also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIX continues to be greatCatfishDined on 10/14/2014I have dined at BIX ten or more times and it has never disappointed. This last time was with a work team from SF and NY. Everyone had a great meal and a good time. Traffic was horrible because of Dreamforce, but the hostess was understanding and we were not rushed. Appetizer sampler was great. Oysters were fresh. Everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- Still my favorite...OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/11/2014I always expect to see Sky Masterson at the bar. Last weekend, we got dressed up and drove into town for dinner, our first visit in almost a decade. Our favorite dishes remain on the menu, but have been updated and we enjoyed them even more this time than we had in the past. We loved the deviled eggs, meatballs, the halibut civiche, and the seasonal pumpkin soup. The chicken hash, a BIX classic is now served as a 'cake' similar to crab cake and was delicious. My favorite, the pork chop, was paired with grilled radicchio, a beautiful pear chutney and a balsamic reduction which complimented the perfectly grilled chop. I was relieved to see bananas foster still headlines the dessert menu. All this AND wonderful live jazz! Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLE!!!!mark633Dined on 10/10/2014My co-worker and I had a fantastic lunch at BIX and I highly reccomend it to anyone who enjoy good food, great service and a very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodIlovefoodDined on 10/8/2014I tried 4 restaurants, all highly recommended by friends, in this trip to SF. Bix is the best, esp with its ambience and food. Among the 3 of us, we had the duck, the pork and the Wagyu beef. All are very well prepared in terms of meat tenderness and the sauce that goes with each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special on so many levelsLizGDined on 10/7/2014I hadn't been to Bix in several years, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered it. The artwork is amazing, especially Mark Stock's Butler in Love over the piano and John Register's Martini Hollywood sign in the hallway. The restaurant's decor is striking. The food is delicious. My swordfish was so juicy and tasty. Mary Stalling's voice is delightful. The only downside is that the restaurant is noisy. It was really hard to hear Mary singing on the Tuesday night I was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIX-a special placestan43VIPDined on 10/4/2014Romantic, jazz music, attentive staff, great drinks and great food- a place for a special dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.pjbjDined on 10/4/2014Excellent as always. When we are in SF, we eat at Bix.Special Features:
- The Complete PackageVerySatisfiedDinerDined on 10/4/2014Location is special, surrounded by old brick historical buildings, walking in the art work and murals set the mood enhanced by the art deco furnishings, lighting, and staircase. The bar is very impressive, the selection, but most notably quality of bar staff who are attentive, friendly, efficient, and incredibly talented at their craft. The wait staff were similarly outstanding, exuding genuine warmth and concern to ensure a quality dining experience, providing assistance/suggestions when asked. Constant, but unobtrusive, mindfulness for a smooth and comfortable meal. Highly recommended. This has become a go to spot for fine dining.Special Features:
- San Francisco GemEricDined on 10/1/2014Bix is hidden on a little alley, I like that. Awesome ambience, almost like an ocean liner like the Titanic. The noise level is pretty intense, but the food, wine, and music make up for it. I've never had an evening at Bix that I or my dates didn't enjoy. And the bone marrow...awesome...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasteless. Stingy.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Bix has a nice vibe. But, the food is disappointing. I had lobster pasta. It was the second most expensive item on the menu, but it sounded great. There were three miniature, hard to find. pieces of supposed lobster on my plate. Tasteless. My friend had duck that looked yucky.
- Too excited?michybellDined on 9/29/2014Server was sweet. Love the ambiance. Sat upstairs at a booth table for 2 that was a bit too close to our neighbors (I hate when you are afraid your butt is going to knock over their wine glass). Did find that the food was, soso okay. The pork chop was awesome, but then had some weird pear stuff on it...and the sample plate appetizer was a fun option (deviled egg, pork slider, prosciutto, and crab cake) but only 2 out of 4 of the items were great and the others were meh. $30 corkage fee and my girlfriend is in the industry which I thought was kind of pricey usually they waive that. Overall the food was okay but for $100 each for 2 entrees, corkage, and 1 shared appetizer, I can't say I'll go back again. Good experience though!Special Features:
- Perfect eveningsgunterDined on 9/27/2014We arrived at least 20 minutes late for our reservation, but they sat us right away. As they did they told us that we could only have the table for approx. 1 hour as others had made reservations too. We were still at our table nearly 2 hours later with only one "request" to wrap things up at that time. They clearly worked hard for us.Special Features:
- Great spot but too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Food was terrific - lobster spaghetti / beef medallions very tasty - service was very good - but even at a small table, almost impossible to converse due to music / din of other diners. Maybe mezzanine level is a bit quieter?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to DineJunnieDined on 9/23/2014As always BIX is a great place to dine, for all occasions. Service and food was excellent. I Love BIXSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not the charmCSeattleDined on 9/21/2014We ate here about a year ago, and the entire experience was fabulous. The time, very noisy, server not very helpful, drink watery and food just average. (It didn't help that the tables were so close to each other; the tourists next to us kept leaning in to overhear our conversation -- which frankly was just average dinner conversation!) I hope it wasn't because we booked through Open Table this time... (just kidding)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed Bix. We had a large party and they took very good care of us. Our waiter was superb, very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- First time at BixSanFran2014Dined on 9/9/2014We found this restaurant on-line searching for somewhere nice to dine in San Fran with music in the background. It was perfect. Our waiter was fantastic but unfortunately we didn't get his name, on the receipt his initial was AJ A. He was very knowledgable about the food and wine. Our starters were potato pillows with American caviar and the crab rolls , small portions for some people but very tasty. For mains we had the pacific swordfish and the pork chop....we would recommend to try both. We both tried the warm chocolate brioche pudding and the plum cobbler with ginger ice cream we were split on this as one of us isn't a chocolate pudding fan ...would highly recommend this restaurant. Dined on the 9th sept .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- khjeatsDined on 9/9/2014The appetizers were tasty but entrees were nothing special...particularly at this price point. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- punctualVIPDined on 9/8/2014A great evening, tremendous food. Service was perfect. All courses were presented in a professional manner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Had a small table a dark corner by an exit. Not what we had expected.