56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154336300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)romantic (114)fit for foodies (84)vibrant bar scene (68)neighborhood gem (66)hot spot (51)notable wine list (49)good for groups (32)late-night find (28)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Single-GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I am in my mid 30's and I love exploring new places in the financial district. I heard this place had great ambiance and a great location. I was surprised it was located in an alleyway, but pleasantly awakened when I went inside. I will definitely be re-visiting this place for dinner and a cocktail.Special Features:
- Not Suitable for Music LoversDissatisfiedDined on 10/18/2014Great service! Good Food! BUT useless for enjoying live music. Choose this place because it promised "Live Music". On our visit the Jazz Trio was a Duo for most of the evening BUT, in any case, it could not be heard when you are seated upstairs where most of the Dining seating is. A definite miss on our next visit to San Francisco.
- Just OK jazz & foodLeoinSFVIPDined on 10/17/2014My second time visiting Bix. I was quite frankly underwhelmed. The cocktails were relatively small, in relation to the last time I visited, and the food was just meh. The jazz trio that was downstairs was particularly uninteresting, and felt more like I was at a dinner hour at a bar mitzvah. Not really much excitement there. The pork chop entree was very good, I must say, but the firecracker shrimp appetizer was skimpy and tasted like something you could get at Popeye's. The wine selection was not as impressive as the last time I was there about two years ago, and the wine bottles were incredibly overpriced. Not sure what is going on at Bix, but seems like it needs new energy.Special Features:
- Fun for AllNarwhalbeanDined on 10/15/2014Bix is great! There are not very many places (if any) that you you can go for dinner and get live music almost every night and great food. The place has is very art deco and the service was excellent. All of the staff was on it and very friendly, not to mention the food was really good!Special Features:
- Very nice placerghdexDined on 10/14/2014A very nice and lively place, food is very good also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIX continues to be greatCatfishDined on 10/14/2014I have dined at BIX ten or more times and it has never disappointed. This last time was with a work team from SF and NY. Everyone had a great meal and a good time. Traffic was horrible because of Dreamforce, but the hostess was understanding and we were not rushed. Appetizer sampler was great. Oysters were fresh. Everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- Still my favorite...OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/11/2014I always expect to see Sky Masterson at the bar. Last weekend, we got dressed up and drove into town for dinner, our first visit in almost a decade. Our favorite dishes remain on the menu, but have been updated and we enjoyed them even more this time than we had in the past. We loved the deviled eggs, meatballs, the halibut civiche, and the seasonal pumpkin soup. The chicken hash, a BIX classic is now served as a 'cake' similar to crab cake and was delicious. My favorite, the pork chop, was paired with grilled radicchio, a beautiful pear chutney and a balsamic reduction which complimented the perfectly grilled chop. I was relieved to see bananas foster still headlines the dessert menu. All this AND wonderful live jazz! Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLE!!!!mark633Dined on 10/10/2014My co-worker and I had a fantastic lunch at BIX and I highly reccomend it to anyone who enjoy good food, great service and a very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodIlovefoodDined on 10/8/2014I tried 4 restaurants, all highly recommended by friends, in this trip to SF. Bix is the best, esp with its ambience and food. Among the 3 of us, we had the duck, the pork and the Wagyu beef. All are very well prepared in terms of meat tenderness and the sauce that goes with each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special on so many levelsLizGDined on 10/7/2014I hadn't been to Bix in several years, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered it. The artwork is amazing, especially Mark Stock's Butler in Love over the piano and John Register's Martini Hollywood sign in the hallway. The restaurant's decor is striking. The food is delicious. My swordfish was so juicy and tasty. Mary Stalling's voice is delightful. The only downside is that the restaurant is noisy. It was really hard to hear Mary singing on the Tuesday night I was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIX-a special placestan43VIPDined on 10/4/2014Romantic, jazz music, attentive staff, great drinks and great food- a place for a special dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.pjbjDined on 10/4/2014Excellent as always. When we are in SF, we eat at Bix.Special Features:
- The Complete PackageVerySatisfiedDinerDined on 10/4/2014Location is special, surrounded by old brick historical buildings, walking in the art work and murals set the mood enhanced by the art deco furnishings, lighting, and staircase. The bar is very impressive, the selection, but most notably quality of bar staff who are attentive, friendly, efficient, and incredibly talented at their craft. The wait staff were similarly outstanding, exuding genuine warmth and concern to ensure a quality dining experience, providing assistance/suggestions when asked. Constant, but unobtrusive, mindfulness for a smooth and comfortable meal. Highly recommended. This has become a go to spot for fine dining.Special Features:
- San Francisco GemEricDined on 10/1/2014Bix is hidden on a little alley, I like that. Awesome ambience, almost like an ocean liner like the Titanic. The noise level is pretty intense, but the food, wine, and music make up for it. I've never had an evening at Bix that I or my dates didn't enjoy. And the bone marrow...awesome...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasteless. Stingy.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Bix has a nice vibe. But, the food is disappointing. I had lobster pasta. It was the second most expensive item on the menu, but it sounded great. There were three miniature, hard to find. pieces of supposed lobster on my plate. Tasteless. My friend had duck that looked yucky.
- Too excited?michybellDined on 9/29/2014Server was sweet. Love the ambiance. Sat upstairs at a booth table for 2 that was a bit too close to our neighbors (I hate when you are afraid your butt is going to knock over their wine glass). Did find that the food was, soso okay. The pork chop was awesome, but then had some weird pear stuff on it...and the sample plate appetizer was a fun option (deviled egg, pork slider, prosciutto, and crab cake) but only 2 out of 4 of the items were great and the others were meh. $30 corkage fee and my girlfriend is in the industry which I thought was kind of pricey usually they waive that. Overall the food was okay but for $100 each for 2 entrees, corkage, and 1 shared appetizer, I can't say I'll go back again. Good experience though!Special Features:
- Perfect eveningsgunterDined on 9/27/2014We arrived at least 20 minutes late for our reservation, but they sat us right away. As they did they told us that we could only have the table for approx. 1 hour as others had made reservations too. We were still at our table nearly 2 hours later with only one "request" to wrap things up at that time. They clearly worked hard for us.Special Features:
- Great spot but too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Food was terrific - lobster spaghetti / beef medallions very tasty - service was very good - but even at a small table, almost impossible to converse due to music / din of other diners. Maybe mezzanine level is a bit quieter?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to DineJunnieDined on 9/23/2014As always BIX is a great place to dine, for all occasions. Service and food was excellent. I Love BIXSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time not the charmCSeattleDined on 9/21/2014We ate here about a year ago, and the entire experience was fabulous. The time, very noisy, server not very helpful, drink watery and food just average. (It didn't help that the tables were so close to each other; the tourists next to us kept leaning in to overhear our conversation -- which frankly was just average dinner conversation!) I hope it wasn't because we booked through Open Table this time... (just kidding)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed Bix. We had a large party and they took very good care of us. Our waiter was superb, very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- First time at BixSanFran2014Dined on 9/9/2014We found this restaurant on-line searching for somewhere nice to dine in San Fran with music in the background. It was perfect. Our waiter was fantastic but unfortunately we didn't get his name, on the receipt his initial was AJ A. He was very knowledgable about the food and wine. Our starters were potato pillows with American caviar and the crab rolls , small portions for some people but very tasty. For mains we had the pacific swordfish and the pork chop....we would recommend to try both. We both tried the warm chocolate brioche pudding and the plum cobbler with ginger ice cream we were split on this as one of us isn't a chocolate pudding fan ...would highly recommend this restaurant. Dined on the 9th sept .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- khjeatsDined on 9/9/2014The appetizers were tasty but entrees were nothing special...particularly at this price point. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- punctualVIPDined on 9/8/2014A great evening, tremendous food. Service was perfect. All courses were presented in a professional manner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Had a small table a dark corner by an exit. Not what we had expected.
- Always Love Bixjps5000VIPDined on 9/6/2014Have eaten and Bix many times...it has a great special occasion feel...good food good service...fun.Special Features:
- Great Experienceronnier0nDined on 9/5/2014The 2nd floor overlooking the live jazz trio band was a great addition to the dinner. Although there is a lot of people and with the band playing in the background, our dinner was still intimate and very enjoyable. Their cocktail menu is perfect for the setting, as well as their wine offerings. Be sure to make reservations early in advance because this place is packed!Special Features:
- Good food, priceyAddictedDined on 9/5/2014The food is good with unique dishes but pricey for small portions. Especially the cocktails small glasses for double digit prices. Service was lacking. Had to really work the waiter to get a recommendation. Felt like he was rushing to turn the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it moreKayroDined on 9/4/2014Last time I was at Bix, many of you weren't even out of diapers. So the fact that it has lasted 25+ years must mean it's really good, right? Well, it's still got that supper-club feel, cave-like and dim. Our waiter was very professional. I did not find the food to be exceptional. The deviled eggs with truffle oil were fine. The swordfish on a bed of squash with a few tiny tomatoes was not bad, but was mediocre. I can't personally report on the open-faced burger w/truffled fries, but my husband was satisfied. Somehow, I hoped for more. I thought the menu was limited. My first cocktail seemed okay but the second tasted weird, and when replacing it didn't make a difference our waiter graciously took it off the bill.Special Features:
- Delicious but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014The food and service were fantastic, but for $34, I expect more then a few tiny pieces of lobster in the lobster spaghetti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimJVIPDined on 8/31/2014Consistently excellent...great atmosphere and music...interesting food and conscientious service...thoughtful restaurant manager allows us to select our preferred seating...Special Features:
- dining outDevineLadyDined on 8/31/2014We were a group of 7, service was fair, food was good. My upset was that we brought in a bottle of wine, a little larger than most because we were 7 people and they charged us double corkage because of the size of the bottle which we felt was not fair and they would not adjust the bill. Because of this I will not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Asked our server for another butter and her comment was--you have on--she did not notice it belonged to my guest Bad overall attitude with all the servers--like we were doing them a favor for eating at their establishment!Special Features:
- It's better at Bix!raeraeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our anniversary celebration at Bix was very special. This is a favorite of ours in San Francisco. Signature cocktails, lovely food, attentive service -- a romantic restaurant, upscale speakeasy atmosphere. Dress up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!WineLoverDined on 8/29/2014Bix is the best! Great food, great service, great ambience! Perfect for a romantic date or fun, adult dinner party!Special Features:
- Special Occaisionserverschild1Dined on 8/27/2014The ambience is Art Deco 20-30s San Francisco with dim lights, little lamps on tables, a wide, curving staircase to upstairs dining and a lively bar downstairs with white jacketed, attentive bartenders. Recorded jazz played downstairs while we dined. If you go in late afternoon/ early evening when the sun is bright, allow some time for your eyes to adjust as it's very dark. All table servers at our large, rounded booth were excellent. Can't say enough about the service. As for the food, I really enjoyed the deviled egg hors d'oeuvre and wished I could have had more than one half of one. We shared an order among the six of us. The lobster pasta was ok, not bad, just ok. Loved the bananas foster as well. I'd go again, just for drinks & apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2Dined on 8/27/2014I appreciate you recognizing that we were celebrating a birthday and the note at the table and spoon of sorbet was nice, thank you.Upon departure you had a large group siting outside drinking champagne and very intoxicated. They took over the entire street and our Uber driver was unable to get to pick us up. The drunk party had 2 Uber cars just waiting for them to get themselves together and load the cars. . I can't say this would be a restaurant that have on list to return. We felt our waiter was not excited to accommodate us. I had to ask him to tell us about the menu. He cited only the most expensive items and unable to elaborate on anything. It kind of killed our appetite and we ordered apps and wine only.
- Loved ItBaseballMomDined on 8/24/2014We had an early dinner reservation. Admittedly we were still full from a foodie event we just attended. I was concerned that they would be irritated that we only wanted drinks and appetizers. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Our waiter was a true professional and treated us like we had ordered the most expensive items on the menu. Our "snacks" were fabulous as were the desserts we shared. The bread pudding was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleiteDined on 8/21/2014The food at Bix's was great (my husband wasn't crazy for his lobster spaghetti but the appetizers, tomato cart, and my steak were all fantastic), and the service in both the bar and the restaurant was outstanding. My only complaint is that we were on time for our reservation - a few minutes early maybe - and we had to wait a significant time for a table. Which might have been fine if it weren't for the fact that the bar is tiny and there were no seats available there because people without reservations were eating dinner at the bar. We overheard a comment from someone else that led us to believe that this is a pretty common occurrence. Despite that, I would recommend Bix to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirdmanDined on 8/20/2014Reliably exceptional dining experience in such a swank spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.