56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154336300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (122)vibrant bar scene (82)fit for foodies (71)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (55)hot spot (41)late-night find (37)good for groups (27)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Loved ItBaseballMomDined on 8/24/2014We had an early dinner reservation. Admittedly we were still full from a foodie event we just attended. I was concerned that they would be irritated that we only wanted drinks and appetizers. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Our waiter was a true professional and treated us like we had ordered the most expensive items on the menu. Our "snacks" were fabulous as were the desserts we shared. The bread pudding was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleiteDined on 8/21/2014The food at Bix's was great (my husband wasn't crazy for his lobster spaghetti but the appetizers, tomato cart, and my steak were all fantastic), and the service in both the bar and the restaurant was outstanding. My only complaint is that we were on time for our reservation - a few minutes early maybe - and we had to wait a significant time for a table. Which might have been fine if it weren't for the fact that the bar is tiny and there were no seats available there because people without reservations were eating dinner at the bar. We overheard a comment from someone else that led us to believe that this is a pretty common occurrence. Despite that, I would recommend Bix to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirdmanDined on 8/20/2014Reliably exceptional dining experience in such a swank spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieTravellerDined on 8/18/2014Bix had been recommended by a work colleague who hadn't been for while. While the quality of the service and the ambience were good, the meal was not on par with the reputation of the restaurant or the cost. As an example, one of our party ordered the Spaghetti with Lobster dish which contained virtually no Lobster. The server did offer to substitute the dish (so as not to delay the meal we elected not to change out the dish), however, for an upscale restaurant, we did not feel that the dish met the minimum standard.
- Fun evening, great atmosphereChrisDined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed our dinner here, food good, great waitress! Neat location, fun bar, nice booth arrangement upstairs.Special Features:
- ExcellentDinnerVIPDined on 8/16/2014My second time here and can't wait to return next time I am in SF. Love the ambiance. The food was fantastic. The server was great but the food runner not so much. Dropped an entree in my brother's lap and ruined the suits of 3 diners. The management and server were extremely apologetic and made amends right away. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF Calif Casual Elegant at its bestjazzoDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful meal, great ambience; impeccable service. Feels like 30's-40's modern but not like a "theme" restaurant; rather, it has an authentic vibe. You almost expect to see Bogie lounging at the bar as the smoke curls upward. Tucked away in an alley with old exposed bricks; valet parking service was prompt and friendly. Pricey? with tip, cocktails and a bottle of wine, $300.00 for two. Special place!!! Highly recommend if it's in your budget.Special Features:
- DPOPTDined on 8/15/2014Good food, fantastic space and wonderful drinks. Our barman was tremendous fun and taught us a lot about Gin martinis and rye whiskey. The Jazz was also excellent. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnersfbayareafoodieDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I very much enjoyed all parts of our Anniversary Dinner at Bix. We felt very well taken care of by the waiter and like we had all the time we desired to enjoy our drinks before dinner. The delivery of each course was well-spaced out and they even gave us a candle in our dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddieNaplesx2Dined on 8/9/2014Bix continues to be an all time favorite. Romantic, sophisticated, wonderful food, corn bisque soup incredible, oysters, yum, fab decor & jazz .... A San Francisco treat.Special Features:
- Too $$$$ for what they offerBecksDined on 8/9/2014Tiny portions, okay but not special food, slow service with attitude, and far to pricey for what they offer. If it was not because of the ambience they would have closed long ago.
- Loved Bix!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014Loved the jazz playing, and the food was excellent. Will definitely go again when we are in SF.Special Features:
- TriciaDined on 8/4/2014Bix is so San Francisco. Beautiful ambiance, great food and service was very professional, yet friendly.Special Features:
- Great New FindmerrynoelDined on 8/2/2014My boyfriend and I went here for our anniversary. We received excellent service, and many congrats. They had a table open or a better one to offer in a few minutes, we opted to wait and had drinks at the bar. The ambiance is fantastic, great old school feeling to the interior, loved having the piano and jazz music. The noise level was never loud despite the live music and packed tables. The food was delicious. We recommend the tomato cart, duck entree and lobster spaghetti. The wine list was a bit pricey for us, but expected with the prices on the rest of the menu, we still found an excellent bottle of cab to share. For dessert we had the chocolate bread pudding, it wasn't too rich, just right Love this place and will visit again!Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre servicegdtangDined on 8/1/2014Made a reso for my birthday. 1 person got stuck at work late, but called Bix to let them know that she was on her way and would arrive ~20 min. The rest of of us were there ready to be seated. The hostess refused to seat us due to their policy that all individuals must be present before a table was seated. She also kept telling us that they needed the table back at 9pm. We reassured her that we understood, and we would be done by 9, but we could still be seated now, but she refused. The policy just doesn't make sense-- the table was sitting empty, while we were standing around the entrance waiting...had we been seated, we would have ordered additional apps & wine. They lost $ by refusing to seat us. Not impressed by their level of service.
- Friday lunch treatMelroseDined on 8/1/2014I've had Friday lunch at Bix on my birthday many times and always enjoyed it. I took a new friend this time and they raved about the ambience, and that is a big part of the experience. It's beautiful. The staff is uniformly welcoming and professional, and the food is nicely done. This visit was slightly less spectacular than prior ones for two reasons: The waiter forgot my drink (truly surprising and quickly remedied) and my Caesar salad seemed rather ordinary: It looked a little messy, the leaves seemed slightly tired. On the other hand, my friend's corn soup and chicken hash were both nice, and my tagliatelle was perfectly done, al dente, bravo. I'd go back again and hope this was just an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The staff was great, the food was great, and the lounge music created a romantic ambiance (piano & vocals). It was tucked away in an alley, which added to its charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014It was amazing WE love this restaurant WE are french and réal lu appreciated the atmosphere the good and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Always enjoy an evening at Bix. It's my go to place for celebrating special occasions, or just when I what to feel like I've stepped into another world. The service is always top notch, the food never disappoints, and the live entertainment is the icing on a delicious cake! Truly one of the best dining experiences in the city!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DsesDined on 7/29/2014Great atmosphere. Food is just ok. Loved the location in the city.
- Not to be missed!ElizaDined on 7/29/2014Every time I go to San Francisco I make a point to go to BIX. Love the Jazz, worth paying attention to, but doesn't disrupt dining and conversation... classic service, fabulous food and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something SpecialSimonDined on 7/27/2014This was our first time visiting Bix. When we set up our reservation I stated that it was for our wedding anniversary. So restaurants on Open Table read the, "Special Attention" box and others don't. We we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess greeted us right away and congratulated us. When she showed us to our table, which was a nice and romantic corner table, Bix had a very nice hand-written card congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. Everything from the service, the food and the feel of the room were just first rate. If you are looking for some place romantic, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time capsuleTrixDined on 7/25/2014I first went to BIX about 20 years ago - to remain this vibrant and relevant after all this time is a worthy accomplishment. It is noisy - but the energy is part of it's personality. Food is not necessarily inspired but very satisfying, flavorful, and with just enough variety to engage most diners appetites. I am sorry I waited so long to return and will not make that mistake again.Special Features:
- Very tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/25/2014All of the things we ordered were excellent. We had 4 different appetizers and they were all wonderful. The entrees were also excellent. It is a bit noisy and was really getting hopping around 8:30 when we left. We would return here.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We were in SF and a friend had recommended this spot, so we gave it a shot. Wow. We are so happy we came. The ambiance is wonderful. Our waiter, Chris, was great and was very knowledgable on the menu. We split an incredible heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella salad that they made table side. We then had a corn soup with a habanero sauce that we shared that had just a hint of heat to it but great flavor. Finally, we had the duck and got the side of smashed potatoes fried in duck fat. The potatoes were indescribably awesome. The only reason I give service 4 stars is that we wanted to try the fish too but knew it was too much food. We found out as we were leaving that we could have ordered half of two dishes. Would still go back though!Special Features:
- Great for everyoneJunnieDined on 7/23/2014Love this place, will recommend to everyone. Food is good service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Visually a lovely hidden gem...LetsdineoutDined on 7/23/2014Although we found the restaurant to be quite beautiful; the food, while acceptable, did not manage to match the caliber of the service, the ambiance, nor the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar service lackingsuzanneVIPDined on 7/23/2014The bar service was extremely poor last night. It took 1/2 hour to get an initial drink at the bar and it wasn't all that crowded. Getting refills was almost as hard and we had to chase down the bartender. Bartenders need to look around and be aware - catching his eye was impossible. We then asked that the bar tab be put on our dinner bill and it never was, nor was our credit card returned until we asked for it at the end of the evening. A very poor experience at the bar while waiting for our table. Inexcusable for a restaurant like Bix
- Perfect for Mom's Bday dinnerjfabVIPDined on 7/22/2014Took Mom there for midweek Birthday dinner and everything was excellent. All the staff were very accommodating and patient with Mom. They even had a birthday card for her. I knew she'd like it and she did thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience- big thanks to Bix! My only note is that I didn't remember it being such a lively, loud dining experience. Perhaps it was just this evening, but we couldn't converse with each other without leaning in across the table. Otherwise, great spot for fancy, old san francisco dining experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!TornadoOrphanDined on 7/21/2014My wife and I came here on our honeymoon and could not be happier! It all started with the service. Our waiter took the time to explain the entire menu to us, and also made a special cocktail for my wife based on what she described she liked. Her drink was exactly what she wanted. I had the Elixer No. 3 to drink and it was unlike anything I've ever had. It was wonderful. We had a couple appetizers which were very good, and my wife had a couple great glasses of wine. For our meals, my wife had the duck and I had lobster spaghetti, both of which were outstanding. It was an overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidMVARELADined on 7/19/2014Really enjoyed this place, very classy solid service and excellent food.Special Features:
- Smooth jazz - cool placeOkok2Dined on 7/18/2014We loved the look and feel, very old world cool. But Bix was very busy, and our service staff presented as overwhelmed and stressed. Combine this with it being very loud it was not the romantic dinner I hoped for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014It used to have amazing food, and the attire was way above casual. I was disappointed in the food, just okay, and terribly overpriced. There were people there in jeans and t-shirts. When we go to celebrate a special occasion, very disappointing. Also, part of my party was arriving late. We were very hungry, yet they would not let us sit and begin eating appetizers (which would have made the bill even higher) until our entire party was there. I would have been happy to sit at the bar and eat and drink while we waited, but we had minors, and yet, they still would not seat us.Special Features:
- One of the bestBillVIPDined on 7/16/2014We felt like the clocks had been turned back to the 1930s. The atmosphere with live music just set the tone. Our food was not rushed and was outstanding. Service was great, but the waiter was a little stiff. He, however, did not take away from a great evening. Located down an alley, it was difficult to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phillyDined on 7/15/2014The restaurant was oddly lit (our table a bit dark) and somewhat noisy. However food overall was very good and service excellent. We had the combination appetizer for the table which was very good. I had the lobster spaghetti which was very good, but not at all spicy even though requested. Others enjoyed their dishes such as salmon and pork chop. Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for dates or business.NoFoodFightDined on 7/12/2014The food was quite nice. Service at table accptable but stiff, unpersonal and standard compared to what sould be expected for the tip-level this restaurent requires. The lady/girl at the door "greeting us" was very unprofessional. She assumed that we were in the know of the, apparently very rigid sitting-rules at this place which resulted in a very unplesent one-way comunication. The 4th person of our party were running late which were taken as a personal vendetta against the reastaurent, so we had to argue for the right to our table. This approach was taken to protect the overall dining experience of this place, where priority nr 1 is to have all persons sitting at the same time. I would have preferred focus on guest comfort.Special Features:
- Food was okay not greatNice5tehdjyydDined on 7/10/2014Wait staff and hostess were rude. Very unusual for SF where people are very friendly.
- Hip old-timerMartinVIPDined on 7/10/2014Excellent, simple imaginative but traditional food; perfect service; classy informality. Always fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Noise level was a little high and desert took a little too long. Food was amazing. especially the apetizers.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceMaggieSFDined on 7/5/2014This place has been around for 26yrs & is still a great place!!!! The Jazz music, decor, & food make for the perfect ambient!!!! Highly recommend this place to try with either a date or a small group!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.