Bitter Tasting Room
16 W. Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1G6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
Bitter Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bittertastingroom.com/
- Phone: 6045584658
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am. Friday: 4:30pm - 12am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alain Chow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: We pay respect to our drink of choice by offering you eight rotating taps coming to us from the best BC craft brewers, with occasional imported offerings. Our selection is balanced with a large collection of bottled options from all over the world. Pair your favourite beer with one of our take
- Private Party Contact: Events Mangager 8776904944
A word from Bitter Tasting Room
At Bitter, we want you to join us on a journey to a time when Vancouver had a bustling beer culture. Before Prohibition shut down the taps, the local breweries were countless. Delicious ales, lagers and bitters poured free. A golden era in history, before the rise of the beer monopoly, when brewers made the beer they wanted to make, not the beer they had to make.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bitter Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
- Bitter Tasting RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2013Good selection of beers, food was typical pub snacks / Tapa's. Problem is that it is not in a good part of town. Not recommended if you have to walk alone at night to either get there or leave.
- Best bite and beer in Vancouver!ConnoisseurVIPDined on 5/23/2013Best bite and beer in Vancouver! Tried every dish in the menu and they were all superb. Their very own smoked mackerel rocks and the pork scratchings was the best we've had. The Manager and the staff were friendly and hospitable. Definitely stop here if you want great food and beer!Special Features:
- Well-priced grogOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2013Two rounds of beer (4 beers) came out to under $30 all-in! $29.91 to be exact. Very impressive, and the beers were, of course, smashing.Special Features:
- Drinks OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013Bitter is a place to get drinks before you get where you are going. I can't say enough about the talent of the bartender. From mixed drinks to their amazing selection of beer. The food left a lot to be desired. It falls flat and doesn't satisfy. Go for drinks you will not be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place if you can findOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013Great place if you can find a table! The staff are friendly and helpful despite how busy the place is. And they have an amazing selection of beer.Special Features:
- Interesting fishbowl nosh.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/20133 of us went on a Thursday night. Much quieter than usual. Had the Scotch eggs, the tasting platter (pickled egg, yorkie w/ mushroom ketchup, sausages, fancy cheeses, apricot jam, honey, and some kind of relish. All good. Got develed eggs - very yummy. A goat cheesecake thing - really good. Chocolate with fudge. Not bad. And two flights of micro-brews that I'd never tried before. All interesting. Even if we didn't really LOVE anything, there was enough to like. I think this place would be a good liquid lunch spot, if only because the lighting is really weird at night. Don't know who designed it, but they should re-consider. And I gotta say - it's disturbing to be in a fishbowl for the homeless. A wee bit disconcerting all around.Special Features:
- Great beer list. Small menu.StephaneVIPDined on 2/14/2013Great beer list. Small menu. Irish influenced menu.Special Features:
- Casual and trendyLynxiDined on 2/3/2013In contrast to some comments, I thought the food was quite nice - meat plate appetizer, mushroom crepe, cheesecake, all for $18. It's casual and low key, but pleasant and comfortable. There is lots and lots of beer (in bottles and on tap) but also some very good cider and wine. The authentic setting is replete with brick walls and feels very trendy. Even though we are in our 60s, we were treated well and felt comfortable.Special Features:
- Had the Dine-Out menu: beetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2013Had the Dine-Out menu: beet salad was absolutely delicious, beef & ale stew was warm and hearty and enjoyed the rice pudding for dessert. Great portion sizes, not too small but not too much. Really enjoyed my meal and so did my friend.Special Features:
- Beer heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013If you're a beer enthusiast, this is the place to be. A beer fridge that takes up the entire wall, every guy's dream come true! Great selection of wonderful beers from all over the world, great options for food pairing too.Special Features:
- Our server was very knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2013Our server was very knowledgeable down to earth and friendly!Special Features:
- Cheers!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013The mushroom crepe was to die for! The room is an interesting mixture of old and new materials, and the clientelle were a good group to be amongst. Didn't personally like the cherry beer, but they did a good job in pairing it with the rice pudding and it was interesting to try something very different in the sampler.Special Features:
- Will definitely be backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013This is, as they say, a "beer forward" establishment, although they also have wine and cocktails for those who don't speak malt. The selection, especially of bottles but also including a number of notable taps, is excellent and wide ranging, including fine local, regional and international offerings. The food is delicious, reasonably priced, and served up hot. The service is attentive and eminently knowledgeable. A great place for lunch, happy hour, dinner, after dinner or after show (to midnight) drinks.Special Features:
- A goodie for a foodie...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Food was good, not overly excptional but definitely good! The pretzels and mustards were delicious! I had the mushroom crepe and liked it! The beer pairings with my dine out menu were delicious! Overall a pleasant experience, one that I would go back to with a group of people for more pretzels, beer and maybe a hockey game?Special Features:
- We had a great meal at theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/28/2013We had a great meal at the Bitter Tasting Room as part of DineOut Vanvouver. The food was great, the beer selection was impressive and the wait staff friendly. My only complaints are that the food took a long time and it was a bit chilly (to be fair we were sitting by the window).Special Features:
- We were looking for a casual,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013We were looking for a casual, interesting night out. The beer list was extensive and impressive. We tried quite a few beers and the server gave excellent suggestions. Our table location was terrible and the metal stool I had to sit on was very uncomfortable. The food was good comfort food as promised but portions were a bit small. My husband would likely go back with his friends just for the impressive beer selection.
- This was truly the worst mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013This was truly the worst meal that I have ever been served at a restaurant. Having said that,I didn't realize that Bitter Tasting Room was a beer place that served pretzels and hotdogs. The service was great and the bar snacks looked good but a dine out menu definitely does not work. I only had a few bites of each course - the taste and quality was just terrible.
- Pub trying to be something it's notGastownfoodieDined on 1/25/2013Food was pretty good although not prepared on site. Draft beer was WAY too expensive, especially for local stuff. (10+ dollars for a pint of local beer??) Overall it is a pub trying to be something it's not.
- Loved it for Dine Out Vancouver. WOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2013Loved it for Dine Out Vancouver. We had the beer pairings, which were excellent. Food was good - the goat cheese cheesecake was amazing!Special Features:
- Fun place for a girls nightTammyDined on 1/22/2013Fun place for a girls night out. We came for dine out and enjoyed everything!Special Features:
- Great vibe, great beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013We had a great evening at Bitter. The ambiance and feeling of the restaurant is energetic, but not overbearingly so. The service was excellent. The food was solidly tasty, with a home-cooked (but a little better) feeling to it. We had no complaints about the meal, but would probably go back just to enjoy beer and snacks rather than for a dinner out. Beer selection is amazing - not cheap though!Special Features:
- good for beer- not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013good for beer- not great for food . food is very bland- underseasoned
- Great beer selection thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2013Great beer selection though some by the bottle are overpriced. Don't come hungry because the best food on the menu are the snacks ( don't believe they have a kitchen in there like salt tasting room which may explain the lack of variety of food). Always get great service here.Special Features:
- Great beer list and good appetizer/OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012Great beer list and good appetizer/snack food. A bit pricey to get a whole meal here, but if you like sausages, cheese, eggs and pretzels, you're set.
- this pub is one of those placesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/25/2012this pub is one of those places you stumble upon and be completely delighted - it's hip, good selection of beer and pub food with a english flair! Excellent service. Definitely try the scotch eggs. Check it out if you want something different from the norm.Special Features:
- I was pleasantly surprisedphoebeKATDined on 10/13/2012I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the food. Great beer selection for me because I love Lambic!! Service was great too but I wouldn't say the atmosphere is nice. I think I would be back again maybe not for a special occasion, more for just normal weekend with some drinks and food.Special Features:
- Nice patio tables + beer & snacksOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2012Fun beer spot, not the cleanest neighborhood but still safe. Interesting beer cocktails, nice selection of beer, and one server was quite knowledgeable. Service was fairly slow considering the volume (not that busy) and we had to remind our server about a couple drinks that were forgotten - but we weren't in a rush so it didn't detract. Would go back.Special Features:
- BitterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012Great room, inviting staff and delicious beers! Definitely going again.Special Features:
- Good TimeEastVanGalDined on 8/25/2012The "Perfect Stormy" was one of the best mixed drinks I have ever had. Food was delicious and the beer list was excellent. The stool chairs were not too comfortable so try to sit on the bench side with the backrest.Special Features:
- Cool room with loads of interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Cool room with loads of interesting beers on tap and in bottle. Our server was knowledgeable in recommending suggestions and did a great job of looking after our group that continually expanded throughout the evening.Special Features:
- Not a bitter taste at all.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012Sean Heather does it again. Hats off to him. Simple well thought out ingredients presented in a friendly and attentive manner. The staff were very interested in being there and cared for the quality of food and drink they were serving and who they serving it too. It is so refreshing to turn up to a restaurant where simple friendly gestures cost nothing but make an evening to the guests feel priceless. Well done. Inventive and simple food. The beer was great. Loved the tasting flights. Overall - we will be back and now have to wrestle between going to Bitter or the Irish Heather! Or just do both!! We actually did that night!!Special Features:
- I was under the impresionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2012I was under the impresion this place had tapas but instead had very unique and limited food, i guess it was my fault for not reading the specs of the retaurant, but great place for mingo with freinds.
- We went looking for some goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012We went looking for some good food and beer pairings. The food we ordered was either bland (spinach salad), small (pretzel) or unusual (weiners). The beers were great but very expensive. I was hoping for a more extensive draft list.
- Great beer and unimpressive food.LittleowlDined on 5/5/2012Although the beer is quite delicious and the beer list is impressive and extensive, I would not have dinner here. Service was polite and friendly. As a small group we were seated in a comfortable nook however the other larger groups made conversation between us very challenging. Too noisy for me.Special Features:
- Good room and great service/beer,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2012Good room and great service/beer, but the food is not that great. It's okay but certainly not great or even really good. The chicken and biscuits was just some shredded chicken bits and again it was not super warm. The seasoning was also totally void and no one came to ask us if it was good (nor did we get the opportunity to offer or feedback) on the meal overall. Also, for the type of food and the fact that I think it's just reheated, it is sort of expensive. The dessert however was really good. It was not described to us as something that would even be tasty and apparently the staff was 50/50 on the dessert themselves but we said what the heck. Turns out it was way better than it was described. It was like a banana cream pie panna cotta.Special Features:
- Great beer selection. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/17/2012Great beer selection. The menu is limited but what we tried was fabulous....sauage roll (make sure to ask for mustard), welsh rarebit (yummy) and pork rillette (good but didn't know it was served cold). Since we were there on St. Paddy's Day it was a lively crowd...very trendy little place.Special Features:
- The food is pretty miserable,DaSprangzDined on 3/16/2012The food is pretty miserable, but it'd be a good spot for a beer on your way to or from dinner.
- We enjoyed this place. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012We enjoyed this place. The menu is a bit limited but what we had was good. Soft pretzel, scotch egg, cassoulet and chicken and dumplings were all good. The pork rind things were ok. Shockingly we could not order a coffee.... Large selection of beers. We specifically enjoyed Crannog's The Backhand of god (my hubbie's favourite beer of all time) and I enjoyed the milk stout and also the selection of sour beers.Special Features:
- Great beer, cool staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Great staff behind the bar. Simon's knowledge and enthusiasm of the variety of beers they carry made for a fun night.Special Features:
- Great beer, bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Friendly staff, very accommodating (we were considerably late for our reservation because of a car accident and they were very understanding). My partner loved the beer list and would probably come back for just drinks but not for dinner. The food lacked flavor and was just meh.Special Features: