1131 N. State St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bistrotzinc.com/
- Phone: 3123371131
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Tim Kirker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bistrot Zinc
Experience the romance of France in Chicago. The taste and feel of Paris is right here in the Gold Coast, one of Chicago’s oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods. The name Bistrot Zinc is derived from typical French bistrots where the “zinc” bar is a popular meeting place for good food, conversation and camaraderie. Moderately-priced classic & contemporary French food is served amid the ambiance of tile floors, tin ceilings, and the beautifully handcrafted zinc bar. The feeling of French authenticity prevails throughout as you step into this lively Parisian atmosphere. The lunch, brunch and dinner menus include many French favorites in addition to the monthly specials. Also offered is an extensive selection of French wines by the bottle and glass, plus French aperitifs and liqueurs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistrot Zinc - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Bistrot Zinc reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)romantic (53)great for lunch (50)special occasion (49)great for brunch (47)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (23)notable wine list (21)scenic view (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Worst experience EVER!Justvisiting2Dined on 9/13/2014I surprised my daughter for her 20th birthday by taking her to Bistrot Zinc. We met up with two of her best friends. Our waiter was very nice and we really enjoyed our dinners. We paid our meal and were catching up as I haven't seen my daughter in months. The manager came up to us and informed us that there were 7 hungry people who have waited an hour for our table. He was extremely rude! We understand that they need to "turn" tables but he could have been much nicer kicking us out and the table we were sitting at could only fit 5 people and certainly not 7. We also noticed a larger party with small kids that had been finished with their meal for quite some time and were also just talking after their bill was paid. NEVER AGAIN!
- Liked it. As usual.TeddyVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food and service are good. The bartender made some nice martini's for us. We have been there several times and always like it.Special Features:
- consistently greatBillDined on 8/29/2014we have been going here for years, great food and atmosphere in the busy rush street areaSpecial Features:
- Excellent dinnerPierreJDined on 8/24/2014It was a charming experience And everything was up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchProperPorpoise55Dined on 8/24/2014I had a very enjoyable brunch at this pleasant little bistro. The fruit, granola, and yogurt-filled crepes were light and flavorful. I especially enjoyed the roasted breakfast potatoes. They were tender, golden-brown and well seasoned. I saw other tasty dishes (pan-fried trout, brioche French toast) being served that I will return again to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming back!AbcdVIPDined on 8/23/2014Through the years we always come back to our favorite bistro in Chicago. Wonderful food and a menu that changes monthly; great warm service. Management is always present and the owner is really great. Crazy, but we also really love the music!Special Features:
- luckymacDined on 8/23/2014I have been to the restaurant a half dozen times in the last year. This time the food was very disappointing. The pork milanese was dry and tough requiring a steak knife to cut it. Generally the experiences have been positive and worth repeating, but I question if I will return again this year with so many other options available.Special Features:
- Very niceSarahDined on 8/23/2014The people were pleasant, the atmosphere was quaint, the food was good, the dessert was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchLauraVIPDined on 8/23/2014Best mussels I've ever head - smaller portion than I've had before but incredible quality. Ambiance with open windows is fantastic as is the modern yet classic bistrot decor. Bread is wonderful; very nice wine selection and delicious salad. The menu selections make choosing difficult because everything is just what you want. The place was filled with happy diners and the dishes I saw around me all looked wonderful. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Francophone47Francophone47Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent service, great food, friendly owner all made for a very nice lunch. I continue to return time after time to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Best bistro in ChocagoAbcdVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very reminiscent of Paris bistro's. Always wonderful food and service. We also love sitting at the great zinc bar for dinner.Special Features:
- Bistrot ZincJimmyDined on 8/17/2014A good, if not outstanding, restaurant. I had the daily stew made with apples and pork. It was tasty, but the pork was a little dry, and there wasn't quite enough gravy to cover that sin. A carrot/ginger soup got the meal off to an excellent start. The dessert--a chocolate cake with caramel sauce and whipped cream--was satisfactory but also a little dry. The server was helpful and friendly without being overbearing. I'm surprised that the bread on the table was not accompanied by butter or oil: Is this becoming the (unfortunate) trend?Special Features:
- Unrushed Rush Streetdrive2eatDined on 8/16/2014We were a foursome on a busy Saturday night and this venue was a perfect choice. The setting was comfortable and not too noisy. Service was relaxed and we never felt rushed. The food was priced well, the menu choices interesting, the atmosphere was friendly. It was possible to chat without straining to hear, and we had the impression from the other diners that this was a local crowd that had been here before. It did not have a trendy, short term feel. The customers were of all age groups and the mood in the restaurant was vibrant. It is a restaurant we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic neighborhood bistrotChicagoTomVIPDined on 8/15/2014A spot of France without any 'tude, just genuine French-inspired food (with seasonal starters and entrees that change monthly) and the friendliest service we've had in 25-plus years in the area. Fish dishes, always accompanied by interesting vegetables and sauces, are invariably good. The trout, surrounded by cherry tomatoes and topped with capers and Chef Tim's sauce, is a Zinc staple. Grandmother's chicken is wonderful, as is the stew du jour(with potatoes and pastry). BZ's crepes and egg dishes are elegantly simple classic bistrot brunch fare. And people actually talk to each other! A neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSandyDined on 8/15/2014We had 3 couples from out of town accompany us. One couple has spent a lot of time in France; they loved the food and atmosphere! Our waiter was fun and put up with our indecisiveness as we visited. Wonderful creme brûléeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014A lovely French Bistro. Daily specials are well thought out and adventurous , a joy for a foodie. Large front window open in good weather provide the best of street cafe dining without the hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGlaucoDined on 8/12/2014Muy buen lugar para comer en Chicago. Muy buena comida y excelente servicio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot on Rush StreetjohnDined on 8/9/2014keep walking North past the chain restaurants and stop at Bistro Zinc for a great meal. The menu is on the small side, but everything my wife and I had was wonderful. The onion crepe for an appetizer was out of this world. We split the Pork milanese for an entree which had a great flavor! So walk past the chain restaurants that are way to crowded on Rush and enjoy excellent meal at Bistro Zinc. I know we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bag, cute spotUpNorth52Dined on 8/8/2014Recommended by a knowledgable friend: attentive waiter, cute restaurant in a vibrant part of the city, food was under seasoned unfortunately, although fresh and attractive on the plate. Desserts were great: profiteroles and creme brûlée were some of the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealSunshineVIPDined on 8/7/2014A longtime friend and I meet here to reconnect at least twice a year for dinner. The food is always quite good and the service is impeccable. If I offer a different restaurant choice, my pal inevitable points us back to Bistro Zinc.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysAbcdVIPDined on 8/3/2014With all the new restaurants in town, this is the one we find ourselves coming back to, over and over. The food is consistently great, with lots of specials, the service is always warm and with it. We seem to order mussels, the frisée salad, steak frites and special fish and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodbbpowellDined on 8/2/2014Everything about this place is good. A Pariesian gem in the heart of Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2014I went here because it was one of the few French restaurants in Downtown Chicago that is open from 2:30-5p.m. I had their Lyonnaise salad. It was okay.. I also had their frites. Compared to other french restaurants it was okay. I just loved the fact that they were open all day and that our waitress was very friendly. I also liked how they kept their window open during the summer. It's very scenic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BergunkiVIPDined on 7/25/2014The pate and french onion soup were amazing. My smoked salmon crepe was too salty and on the mushy side. Seemed to be a bit understaffed, but we didn't wait painfully long for anything.Special Features:
- Weeknight ReviewMothersdayreviewDined on 7/23/2014Excellent food and great service! Definitely going to be a regular here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left Bank of ChicagoBellaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Lovely and casual French dining with lots of very typical bistro choices - moules mareniere, steak frites and so on. Enjoyed a fabulous bottle of 2010 Guigal Cotes du Rhone. Outstanding server ! Moderate prices for Gold Coast area.Special Features:
- Wow, we love this bistro!AbcdVIPDined on 7/19/2014Perfect brunch! The best hollandaisse I've ever experienced, on the best eggs benedict. Lots of choices and our group loved everything. The whole place feels upbeat, cheerful and authentic. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little bit of ParislattegirlDined on 7/19/2014Just love going to Bistro Zinc for a French fix. Love the food, the ambiance and the menu. It's one of our favorites when we visit Chicago.Special Features:
- Memorable Bastille Day!DWNTNFOODIEDined on 7/14/2014The restaurant was decorated nicely for Bastille day and they even had a guest appearance by Marie Antoinette! We had the esgargots for an appetizer and the banana Nutella crepe for dessert, highly recommend both! Michael and the staff always makes you feel welcome and like you are dining at someone's home. Bistrot Zinc is truly a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodwaldmkaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Loved the crepe and my boyfriend came here especially for the french onion soupSpecial Features:
- Fun SpotBillDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed a great meal at a fun, French bistro. Menu was diverse and interesting. Specials were great. Really good wine list, with some good, reasonable options. Our waiter was really pleasant and helpful. Overall, a great find, and a fun evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On all respects it was great!EJG05Dined on 7/6/2014The waiter did a great job. His suggestions regarding food and wine were right on the mark. Great food. Kids loved their meals and older people in the group had plenty on interesing things to try also.Special Features:
- Wonderful!alana1061Dined on 6/28/2014One of my favorite spots. Like cheers; it never changes. Excellent food, service, and ambience, every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014I hate to condemn the entire restaurant due to one waiter, but I will. He was rude from the outset, and it got worse to a point of disbelief when a busboy spilled my friend's glass of wine all over his clothes. They acted as if it was my friend's fault, and when the waiter slammed down our bottle of wine on the table I immediately went to talk with a manager. Other than offering to pay for the dry cleaning, and a weak apology, nothing else was said or done - not even an offer of paying for the spilled wine! How sad... Needless to say with so many great restaurants in Chicago, we won't be back.
- French ComfortLetsEatOutTonightDined on 6/19/2014When you have a hankering for Bistro Steak and Frites, Bistrot Zinc will satisfy. Other notables include Escargot and Mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Definitely a Rush Street Triangle Gem. I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant and I would highly recommend for a special occasion and/or a nice lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- French ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014I love Bistro Zinc! The restaurant is charming, the service is excellent, and the food is delicious. I was however, upset that I was not allowed to use my coupon that has no expiration date. I didn't want to cause a scene so I didn't call the manager over. Our evening was wonderful, Dave our server was just great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old StandyStreetguyVIPDined on 6/6/2014There is nothing great about Bistsro Zinc. But the food is always pleasant. So is the service. The atmosphere is low key. In the warm weather the open the large front window. My soft-shelled crab was crisp sitting on a bed of corn. My companion's quiche with salad was just fine. An ideal place to go for lunch.Special Features:
- 4boz4bozDined on 6/1/2014Loved it! Great food and atmosphere...I hought I was in Paris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistrot Zinc is our favoriteAbcdVIPDined on 5/31/2014We've been going to this bistro for many years and can't believe how consistently great it is. The staff have been there a long time which I think is very telling. Great food and service alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.