1131 N. State St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bistrotzinc.com/
- Phone: (312) 337-1131
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Tim Kirker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bistrot Zinc
Experience the romance of France in Chicago. The taste and feel of Paris is right here in the Gold Coast, one of Chicago’s oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods. The name Bistrot Zinc is derived from typical French bistrots where the “zinc” bar is a popular meeting place for good food, conversation and camaraderie. Moderately-priced classic & contemporary French food is served amid the ambiance of tile floors, tin ceilings, and the beautifully handcrafted zinc bar. The feeling of French authenticity prevails throughout as you step into this lively Parisian atmosphere. The lunch, brunch and dinner menus include many French favorites in addition to the monthly specials. Also offered is an extensive selection of French wines by the bottle and glass, plus French aperitifs and liqueurs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistrot Zinc - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Bistrot Zinc reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (118)great for lunch (60)fit for foodies (59)great for brunch (54)romantic (54)special occasion (50)good for groups (20)notable wine list (19)scenic view (14)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Almost ParisBonVivantDined on 11/23/2014Enjoyed brunch. Glad we made reservations; it fills up. Decor and ambience are reminiscent of a French bistro. Buckwheat crepe is a French favorite of mine. Prepared a bit differently here, but quite delicious. My companion's omelette was excellent, and service was friendly. Will return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary at Bistrot ZincOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Came here to celebrate my two-year anniversary with my partner. When we arrived, we were told "Happy Anniversary" and were greeted with two glasses of champagne at the table. Our waiter made the night very special, and when we ordered dessert, both plates came with candles. Would definitely recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner - Bistrot ZincKimmersDined on 11/22/2014This is my go-to restaurant in Chicago's Gold Coast. Consistently superb food and service. The other night our table of three had the oxtail and beet risotto, arugula salad with bacon and dates, escargots, and pan fried trout. It was delicious. Having dined in bistros in Paris, I can say that this is the real thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful!AbcdVIPDined on 11/20/2014Love, love, love it. Food, service, atmosphere are perfectly French and fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, butLovetoeatDined on 11/6/2014WE really enjoyed the food and our server was terrific, but it was noiser than we expectred making it difficult to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood magnetaskpegVIPDined on 11/6/2014As ever, lovely food, and friendly and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicbillmartDined on 11/1/2014I'm someone who, when returning to a city for a visit after a number of years, will look for places that provided pleasurable experiences in the past. The Berghoff is one of a dying breed, a comprehensive restaurant specializing in German cuisine. In fact, it has been resurrected recently after a period of closure. Purists and nostalgics rejoice, The Berghoff has retained its classic architecture and decor, and its menu continues to provide textbook examples of schnitzels and sausages at reasonable prices Their lineup of house beers compliments the dishes nicely. In the heart of downtown, you can step back in time for a special and flavorful experience here. It is part of the Chicago experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in ChicagoJulieDined on 10/30/2014First time at this charming bistro. Ambiance, menu, setting, zinc bar, and friendly, attentive service made for a lovely dinner in Paree, but comfy in Chicago. My husband had calves liver and mashed potatoes, perfect here and not often available other places. I had arugula, date, bacon salad with Parmesan, a special, and great combo. Also had hanger steak, served with cauliflower gratin and haricot vert. Just a great find. Sound track of jazz and classics was just the right decibel level to allow conversation, but set the mood. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AbcdVIPDined on 10/30/2014What a treat to find this wonderful restaurant in a neighborhood that has way too many expensive or steakhouse options. Fantastic brunch menu with lots of choices. All our food was great. We will go back a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has that special flaireddiebDined on 10/30/2014Much different than surrounding eating establishments. A no rush relaxed setting with polite servers. A gem in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great Service and AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Bistro Zinc has great service and a quiet, calm atmosphere (which are sometimes exactly what you need). The food is good, not great, but is cheaper than some of its French restaurant counterparts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and tastyFoodSnobDined on 10/26/2014Brought my adult daughter for a birthday dinner. She was delighted at how much it felt like a Paris bistro. She had rabbit and loved it, and my trout with spinach was very good. Appreciate the moderate price point, and of course, the desserts are out of this world. Bistro Zinc gets it all right in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014The experience is always a greeting as one of the regulars with a consistent French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingFoodeeezVIPDined on 10/25/2014This used to be great all the time, and it was disappointing. Food was ok but not great, and our service was terrible. Hostess was lovely, bar was great, and the restaurant looks beautiful .... But such a letdown.
- Limited MenuGreatVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was once a great spot but time is telling a story of time running out
- Better than the othersAbcdVIPDined on 10/22/2014I'm always amazed by how much better bistrot zinc is than the other french restaurants in town. The food is always great, from old standbys like roast chicken, to the specials. There is no attitude here other than warmth and good comfort, and you get the sense that they all are good at what they do and happy to be doing it. None of that restaurant tension you can feel a mile away. Too bad France doesn't understand this kind of service!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulAbcdVIPDined on 10/20/2014From the minute you walk in to this warm room, with French jazz playing, you can't go wrong. The prices are moderate, especially for the neighborhood, and the food and service are as good as, or better, than all the other places in the area. You can't beat it.Special Features:
- Excellent! Will ReturnWisconsinCityGirlDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant was recommended by people who live in Chicago whose palates we respect! We live in Wisconsin and visit Chicago regularly to attend performances - symphony, theater, dance, and museum exhibits. Our first visit was an October Sunday brunch. We loved it and will definitely return. We even talked about what hotel we could stay in that would be in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvelynDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I had a delightful birthday dinner here. The atmosphere was lovely, it was very French bistro in feel, with an old-fashioned touch, beautiful wood and brass trim, lots of mirrors, walls painted a gently warm cream color, and vintage posters and prints in frames. Food was really delicious, from the French Onion Soup to the trout to the dessert. loved everything. Service was warm and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort foodPatsyDined on 10/18/2014Our table of 6 had a great time. The restaurant is cozy and very French. We had a wonderful Burgandy with dinner. The generous portions of food were delicious and warm. Desserts were heavenly. Our waiter was friendly and very attentive and was very helpful with the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with a large groupEmilyDined on 10/18/2014Our group of 7 enjoyed dinner before a show at Second City. We all enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesmaryelizabethVIPDined on 10/17/2014I am always happy at Bistrot Zinc. Its warm environment make it a great place to have a long evening with friends. The food is also unfussy and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy Bistrot ZincegkjcmDined on 10/17/2014Food and staff are fabulous. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Hit the spotmorebreadpleaseDined on 10/10/2014I ordered the Vol-au-vent, featuring a stew du jour of beef, a flaky puff pastry, and a deliciously creamy side of mashed potatoes. The stew had a generous portion of perfectly tender protein, and grabbing a bite of warm beef, pastry, and potato was the perfect warm-you-up bite on a crisp Chicago fall evening. For dessert I kept it simple with fresh berries and a large dollop of vanilla mascarpone. The berries tasted fresh and ripe. The meal was a good value, checking in right in the $25-30 range for my portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsDHB1Dined on 10/10/2014Lived in Europe 12 years and BZ has a great French ambience. Simple food prepared well is what I always find. Dependable and pleases all my guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time for French foodEFredVIPDined on 10/8/2014It's always fun to introduce a friend to a cuisine they have not previously experienced. And Bistrot Zinc did not disappoint. He greatly enjoyed the French onion soup and the braised rabbit. My roasted chicken was as good a classic French preparation as I have had. And the pork rilettes with chutney starter was nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome all round!AbcdVIPDined on 10/8/2014We celebrated our 5th anniversary here for the first time. We don't normally eat 'French' and thought it might be a little stuffy and formal but was just the opposite. The place was busy, everyone was really nice and kind of casual- lots of people must come here a lot because the waiters know a lot of the customers by name. The food was amazing too: best French onion soup we've ever had, outstanding steak and roast chicken, and Devine almond cake. What a way to go. We're going to be regulars too!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!AbcdVIPDined on 10/7/2014What a great date night restaurant! We had wonderful food, eating both classic french (me) and modern french ( girlfriend ). I'm in the food business, and I have to say it's one of my favorite places to go. Service is always friendly and and informed, and the place just feels kind of busy and happy. I'm never disappointed at bistro zinc.Special Features:
- Zinc is always fabulous...GennaVIPDined on 10/5/2014A neighborhood gem that is always consistent. The ambiance is warm and inviting. Service is always impeccable and food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchET312Dined on 10/4/2014Cute place, highly recommend the brioche french toast for brunch. Wish I had ordered the quiche instead of the omelette. Coffee and orange juice were almost $4 each which I thought was kind of pricey for the tiny little cups/glasses, but I guess it is the Gold Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingPrairiequeenVIPDined on 9/30/2014This was our fourth visit and maybe last to Bistro Zinc. Previously, we had the same waiter on the other three occasions. He was warm and welcoming and made our grandkids feel special when we brought them. This time, the waiter was a cold fish, who I felt was just being icily polite. The main issue was the way he handled the situation when I wanted to bring a dinner home to my husband. He said the chef does not do that because the food does not set up well. And he had such an attitude about that. I had promised to bring my husband steak frittes. They could not stop me from ordering two dinners to be served to me. So, there I sat with my dinner and my husband's dinner, that one being waited to be put in a bag for when I went home.
- Thanks for a great evening!ThorVIPDined on 9/27/2014We decided to try Bistro Zinc after hearing many good things about it. We had a great experience: excellent food, great service and overall a perfect evening. We were most impressed by Chef Tim Kirker. He made his way through the dining room and stopped to talk to different tables. Upon arrival at are table he asked how we enjoyed the food and proceeded to talk to us for about 5 minutes. We are impressed by somebody who takes time to make sure his guests enjoyed their experience and to get feedback on the experience. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Bistro ZincOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Well done Bistro Zinc! everything was great: food, service, ambiance...Special Features:
- Italian experience at its bestBobbyDined on 9/27/2014Been there twice and still not disappointed. I love the place. Great waiters that have great knowledge. Food was delicious. Will always be a top spot for me to take anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemgraceDined on 9/26/2014bistrot zinc is always a reliable, pleasant, neighborhood place for good food and nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian feeling.InternationalGourmetVIPDined on 9/19/2014Bistrot Zinc has a typica cafe atmosphere and the food is also similar. Comfort in food and decor is the feeling, except service here is impeccable. Loved the skate preparation and escargot were garlicky and excellentSpecial Features:
- Worst experience EVER!Justvisiting2Dined on 9/13/2014I surprised my daughter for her 20th birthday by taking her to Bistrot Zinc. We met up with two of her best friends. Our waiter was very nice and we really enjoyed our dinners. We paid our meal and were catching up as I haven't seen my daughter in months. The manager came up to us and informed us that there were 7 hungry people who have waited an hour for our table. He was extremely rude! We understand that they need to "turn" tables but he could have been much nicer kicking us out and the table we were sitting at could only fit 5 people and certainly not 7. We also noticed a larger party with small kids that had been finished with their meal for quite some time and were also just talking after their bill was paid. NEVER AGAIN!
- Liked it. As usual.TeddyVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food and service are good. The bartender made some nice martini's for us. We have been there several times and always like it.Special Features:
- consistently greatBillDined on 8/29/2014we have been going here for years, great food and atmosphere in the busy rush street areaSpecial Features:
- Excellent dinnerPierreJDined on 8/24/2014It was a charming experience And everything was up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.