1437 N. Wells
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrotmargot.com/
- Phone: 3125873660x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 9 PM
Tuesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM 10 PM
Wednesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Thursday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Friday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 11 PM
Saturday Brunch: 10 AM - 3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 11 PM
Sunday Brunch 10 AM-3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joe Doppes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Half-Price Wine on Mondays, $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe on Wednesdays.
Mother's Day Brunch is coming up on May 12. $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe available, featuring many of the chef's special creations!
A word from Bistrot Margot
Bistrot Margot is a family-owned, authentic French bistro that features regional French cooking in an Art Nouveau environment. We are known for our friendly, upscale service, our affordable prices, and our neighborhood feel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistrot Margot - Best Restaurants in Old Town ›
Bistrot Margot reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (103)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (55)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (43)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (33)good for groups (26)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)Show More
- Sunday night let downESQFoodieDined on 8/24/2014I have been told that Sunday night is the worst night for restaurants in terms of quality and it proved to be true here. Nothing specifically went wrong aside from being empty and slow. Also the escargot was only mediocre. Mainly I'm disappointed because I proudly intended to show off to my friend who just moved from LA and it frizzled. I've been here a half a dozen times before and each time, I was more impressed then the last time. Well not Sunday. My expectations were not meet. Our waitress was nice and all so hats off to her. It's just that the over all experience was lacking, especially compared to all the other times. Bottomline: experience this authentic neighborhood gem but avoid going on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time even betterBluegrassMDDined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Bistrot Margot. It was absolutely delightful. French comfort food. And the profiteroles were a perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceLeFranceGourmetDined on 8/23/2014We've been loyal fans of Bistro Margot for 15-plus years. The food is exceptional and we can say that based on our love of French cooking (Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg and Nice). We honeymooned as college students in Montreal and Quebec City 44 years ago and had our first taste of French-Canadian cuisine. Once we had enough money to really travel, it was off to France. After Chicago's La Bastille was demolished to make way for a parking lot at State and Superior, we searched for something as good or better and that's when we discovered Bistro Margot. The food is authentic French with a great and ever-changing wine list The service is superb. It's the closest to actually being in France, yet for us, only a 40-mile drive into Chicago's Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodBarbaraVIPDined on 8/23/2014We made last minute reservations and still got a nice table. Both my husband and I really liked our meals. Prepared excellently, salads, meats and dessert. The service was very good, attentive and not pushy. Only issue was my husband kept getting bumped when tables around us was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid dining exp in a great spotSiciliannuDined on 8/23/2014Our group had duck, steak and two fish dishes that were all well prepared. Had decent table outside as well. The wine list is limited - just an fyi -- and even some of the listed wines weren't availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLouis14Dined on 8/20/2014This was my first time here. I have been to Paris many times and the food here is just as good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DelightfulFredVIPDined on 8/9/2014Fantastic menu, wonderfully prepared and served, and most delicious. We wish we were locals so that we could become regulars...and we would! Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Incredible food!!!!!ChicoDined on 8/6/2014I came to Bistrot Margot looking for a nice place to take my wife for our anniversary. I was impressed by the service and the place is just fabulous. What can I say about the food??? We are very critic when it comes to food and Bistrot Margot enchanted us with dreamlike flavors. Thanks for an unforgettable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistrot Margo a Gem in the CityCathyDined on 7/30/2014Loved Bistro Margo. It has been an institution on Wells Street! The food was exceptional and the ambience was outstanding. Thank you Doppes for giving the City a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice saturday lunhboboDined on 7/26/2014Very accommodating for our party of 5. Service was excellent and let us sit for a nice lengthly time to catch up with people we hadn't seen in years. Nice job Bistro MargotSpecial Features:
- Excellent pre-theatre dinnerCanadatravellerDined on 7/24/2014We dined here before seeing a show at Second City which is just down the street. They were very accomodating in ensuring we would be timely, the food was excellent as was the service. Their servers are also knowledgeable in recommending wines. We would have enjoyed lingering after dinner if we had the time. The ambience is very lovely! We first tried Bistro Margot on our first trip to Chicago two years ago and it remains just as good as it was then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodexpectgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoy this place and go back often. I really appreciate the atmosphere and service. You can always count on good food here. Their specials are always very good and I think they have the best omelets in town.Special Features:
- one of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014We love this place and eat there two to three times in a month. If you have not tried this hot spot you should get it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice & Enjoyable.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014Went to dinner on a Friday night and it was never full inside. Thought our server did a nice job of recognizing that we wanted to enjoy and take our time. No rush at all. He was courteous and thoughtful. Didnt have the best knowledge of the menu. The food was fine. Nothing exciting or mind blowing but fine. I would suggest this place if you were looking for a simple, uncomplicated & easy dining experience.
- Cold food and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014An overcooked and cold steak, drowned in a congealed pepper sauce. Frits that were greasy, soggy and cold. Server tossed plates onto the table. No attention to the basic details of service. Disappointed and not returning anytime soon.
- Excellent.LampertDined on 7/15/2014Four diners. Three five-star entrees, one a four-star... Pork loin was a tiny tad on dry side. Duck was marvelous and cooked perfectly. But the absolute best entree was the veal... Perfect and succulent and to die for! Mussels were fresh and sauce a delight. Fave dessert was the strawberry rhubarb crisp, but apple tart was fabulous, light, and not too sweet-- made in the elegant French way. We will all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodChappyDined on 7/15/2014I was in Chicago with a girlfriend of mine and this restaurant was recommended to us because it was close to second city where we were going later that evening. I had the veal and my girlfriend had the white fish both were excellent. The portion sizes are very generous and the salads are very reasonably priced and tasty as well. i would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014The service at this restaurant was wonderful, very friendly and attentive. The food was very good.Special Features:
- best brunch in towncherylVIPDined on 7/13/2014As usual, Bistro Margot's brunch was delicious, reasonable priced, great service and ambience. The Le Trois Benedictines--three different egg benedicts, was heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2014Fantastic Sunday morning brunch. Group of four tried several things including the classic quiche lorraine. All were fantastic. We dined with a couple that are real "foodies" and they said it was one of their best brunches ever. Oh...and try the french onion soup. It was the best I've ever had!Special Features:
- Great food, great experience!Obleak28Dined on 7/12/2014While staying in Old Town on vacation, I had been looking for a good restaurant nearby that had some gluten free options for my girlfriend. Bistrot Margot came up in a Yelp search, we looked at the menu and it looked great. And, it was only a few block away from where we were staying, within easy walking distance. We had a great table right in the middle of the action, and our waitress was very friendly, very helpful, and had good advice when were choosing entrees and drinks. The food was reasonably priced, and we had good, full plates of great, freshly made food. We felt like we'd accidentally stumbled into some Parisian bistro! We loved it, and would like to come back to try something new!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchReviewer4Dined on 7/10/2014Came here on a tip from someone who lives in old town and it was great! The food, service and ambiance was perfect on a beautiful summer afternoon. Great for a chick lunch or date. Portions were large and the lunch special was very reasonable. Check their menu on the web. Just a short walk to the Chicago History Museum where we ended our day out.Special Features:
- Always great foodgmsattyVIPDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I frequent this restaurant because bot the food and service are consistently very good. We both had fis. I especially enjoy the trout special, a very flavorful presentation of the fish. Prices are reasonable, always great when the quality of the food and service is consistent. We have also been for holiday brunch, which is also quite enjoyable with interesting menu selections. We highly recommend Birstrot Margot, for both a night out and a special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful find on WellsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014We just love this place have been going for many years and are never disappointed. friendly polite employees that there to help not intrude. The food is very good, fresh and healthy like the French intend. Bloody Mary's are a must on each visit and maybe a glass of wine with the meal. Hurry and make a reservation you will not regret the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- egkjcmDined on 7/2/2014I enjoyed the meal and my friends company immensely. The staff was friendly, but they rushed us through our meal. Not good. I chose scenic view, but really none of them apply.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodGrannieDined on 6/29/2014All four of us had the grouper. The grouper was delicious and perfectly done. The vegetables on which the grouper was placed was worth the whole meal. I've never been more enthusiastic about vegetables as this. I would definitely order this dish again. The roast pear salad and the special salad with duck also received rave reviews from our group. My friend had escargot and said that it was perfect. We have been here before and have always enjoyed it. It was a beautiful day when we were there and we did not valet park because we went to Second City before. It is a short walk from Second City. Definitely consider the valet parking in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch spot.JoanopinionDined on 6/26/2014This is a great place to have an outdoor lunch and people watch. The food was great, service was efficient and it's really close to some interesting shoppes to investigate post delicious meal!Special Features:
- Authentic French restaurantAmatureChef1Dined on 6/21/2014It's a great French bistro, the dishes reminded me very much of those I ate while living in France for 7 months. This place would be casual in France but here it's on the fancy side, you can walk in with jeans or a suit and not be out of place. Friendly, relaxed with great food. There is always a good quality to the ingredients, you can tell the chef takes pride in his work- it is everything a French bistrot should be with a clasic menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frenchSusieqDined on 6/21/2014the noise level in this restaurant was not good at all..service was fine, food was so so onion soup was great
- Great service!DMCMDined on 6/20/2014It was a great dinner and wine. Thanks to our server. We had risotto, mussels, snails and the lamb chops. Amazing with the bottle of wine. Great dinner before Second City... perfect night! DMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go for the food & go back for OmarfrenchifiedDined on 6/18/2014Love this place! Haven't been in awhile but revisited for a trip down memory lane. We loved coming here for pate, mussels and a glass of wine in the past. This time we dined in order to try everything! We all had the 3 course prix fixe Wednesday special, and it was delicious! Our water, Omar, was exceptionally helpful and pleasant. He guided us through our courses with helpful suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for date nightGreedygurlVonDined on 6/16/2014According to my beau who has actually visited France several times, the menu was true to France. The food was very good and the server was nice, though he seemed to be stretched slightly thin. The only thing I did not like was the fact that people had their dogs eating on the patio. But that has more to do with rude people that think its okay to bring their dogs to restaurants, than the restaurant themselves. Also, without asking the server took $25 off of our tab either due to his being little busy while serving us, or the fact that we kept a calm demeanor even though it started to downpour suddenly on the patio. I will eat here againSpecial Features:
- jerrykDined on 6/15/2014We enjoy this place for brunch. Food is very good. Staff is attentive and polite. Great atmosphere and they pay attention to the details. We had our granddaughter with us at 7 months old. they were very helpful with her. We just enjoy the place very much.Special Features:
- they ran out of wine glassesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014After waiting 15 minutes for our wine, we finally were able to flag done our waitress, she said they were waiting for clean wine glasses
- Better than Mon Ami GabiChazDined on 6/14/2014Tough choice, both Mon Ami and Bistro Margot were about the same distance away, went with Margot and very pleased. Delicious French bread and butter, a very fair priced menu and friendly but overwhelmed service. Limited wine list, no sommelier on duty. Sit upstairs, the noise levels are deafening downstairs and there is a very nice bar upstairs too. Our server was a little too apologetic for perceived wait times on his part. Totally unnecessary, enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of Open TablenorthsiderDined on 6/14/2014When we arrived, there was no evidence of our reservation in Bistrot Margot's system! Luckily they were able to seat us. I hope you will find out what went wrong as I rely on Open Table.Special Features:
- Delicious!FunTimeDined on 6/14/2014The food was terrific and generous portions. Charming with helpful waitstaff. We all loved the bread pudding! A great place to celebrate a college graduation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUSTPaulDined on 6/12/2014Moved to Brooklyn two years ago and this was my first time back. Food was better than ever and server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The decor was lovely and food was good. But the service was really underwhelming. Still, we made our dining experience enjoyable w our own good company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nickVIPDined on 6/8/2014We went on a sunday evening for dinner. Service was great, good wine choices and an always tasty food choice. My daughter had the lamb chops which were very good and we all had french onion soup which is not to be missed.Special Features: