1437 N. Wells
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrotmargot.com/
- Phone: 3125873660x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 9 PM
Tuesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM 10 PM
Wednesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Thursday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Friday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 11 PM
Saturday Brunch: 10 AM - 3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 11 PM
Sunday Brunch 10 AM-3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joe Doppes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Half-Price Wine on Mondays, $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe on Wednesdays.
Mother's Day Brunch is coming up on May 12. $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe available, featuring many of the chef's special creations!
A word from Bistrot Margot
Bistrot Margot is a family-owned, authentic French bistro that features regional French cooking in an Art Nouveau environment. We are known for our friendly, upscale service, our affordable prices, and our neighborhood feel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistrot Margot reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (41)great for outdoor dining (40)special occasion (37)romantic (34)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (23)good for groups (20)notable wine list (17)hot spot (7)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Excellent food, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014I would give 5 stars if it hadn't been so loud. I would certainly not recommend for a romantic dinner. The food was great, the service was efficient. I have no answer for changing the noise level....women (I hate to bash my own gender) seemed to be trying to outdo each other that night. Men sitting with them were just sitting there, not being able to get a word in edgewise. We had trouble hearing each other across the table and we are not hearing impaired. We were glad to get out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal with great service!FoodieGalDined on 10/25/2014We each had an item off the specials menu, the Magret de Canard and the Boef Bourgogne. Delicious! I will say however, the Magret de Canard was very special, indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Ab-so-lute-ly the best food we have had in forever!!!! The duck and the filet w/ bordelaise was beyond our expectations. (Wish you would bottle that bordelaise!!) Desserts were SO good! Thank you for making our trip to Chicago so memorable!!!Special Features:
- A taste of Paris in Chi townOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Authentic Parisian decor and charm. Great French classics and some American fare as well. There is a small outdoor area to eat, relax and kick back at. Prix fix lunch options. They participate with Open Table making reservations a snap. If you want a taste of Paris or are just tiding your pelf over before a return trip to the City of Lights, Bistrot Margot is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We need to come more oftenmfc2VIPDined on 10/23/2014We have been here many times and always wonder why we don't come more often. It is as good a neighborhood bistro as you will find anywhere including Paris. The service though is better than Paris. I don't think we have ever had an item that we didn't enjoy. The setting is a little shop worn and could use some updating and the noise level is more than we like but maybe that's because we are of an older generation. It does seem though that the piped in music competes with the conversations and between the two and the lack of good sound insulation it is very loud. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Delicious DuckGourmetGalVIPDined on 10/22/2014Good location near 2nd City and very good value. The roast duck was so moist and would have been fantastic if it wasn't drowning in too sweet barbeque sauce. Service was pleasant and the restaurant was warm and cozy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Food was good, but short of that required to be special.
- cold foodcherylVIPDined on 10/19/2014I love everything about Bistro Margot, especially their weekend brunches. The only problem is that quite often the food is not warm when served. I had the eggs benedict and they were only lukewarm. I have sent back food for this reason in the past.Special Features:
- KAMIDined on 10/18/2014Great service, excellent french menu at reasonable prices, wine list was appropriate and well priced.Special Features:
- Bistro Margot eveningJohn1LDined on 10/16/2014There were two in our party. We started w an appet of pate which was wonderful. Dinner was lamb chops which were incredible and half a duck which was also tasty. We decided not to have dessert bc we were already "full". Next time ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The salad was perfect. The main courses were average. The worst part was the swelling after from food additives.Special Features:
- Lovely French bistroIrishboy714Dined on 10/10/2014Upon entering the restaurant we were immediately struck by the warm and inviting Belle Epoque decor. The menu is classic French bistro; ths escargot (one of my favorites) are excellent, as was the main dish. The chicken was moist, tender and very tasty and the sauce was very well constructed. This is a lovely place for a nice evening out.Special Features:
- A must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Service was outstanding and food was very good. Valet parking in a busy neighborhood made it very convenient. We will be back.Special Features:
- They know how to cook!JBMWDined on 9/20/2014It is always a delight to find a place where they know how to prepare food. The combination of specific elements, textures and tastes working to together to collectively produce a taste sensation is a wonderful thing.........and they do it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...FfpedVIPDined on 9/19/2014Slow service. French onion soup was mostly bread and cheese. Bread was soggy. Steak frites- poor quality meat and a terrible green sauce... Used to be a bistro if much nicer quality... Too many other good restaurants and bistros to return here again. Felt more like a diner than a bistro...
- They made our occasion special.ScottVIPDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were celebrating her birthday and a sentinel event in our lives. The chef agreed to serve us a special dish not on his menu. It was wonderful! The entire staff new we were coming, what we were celebrating and what we had pre ordered. We loved both the ambiance and the special service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantCromagnonDined on 9/13/2014Their first visit, probably our fifth or sixth. Food was excellent quality and not unreasonably priced. Better selection of craft beers would be nice, but thank God for one or two. Bistro food was made for beer, in spite of French origen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9/12/2014DanoverVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always a great experience, excellent food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealsage1Dined on 9/8/2014We had visitors from Ireland and we all had a wonderful dinner. Our guests particularly enjoyed the sauce with the Roast Pork. Excellent choices on the menu. The only negative would be that the service was a little lacking. For example, our guest ordered a beer and 10 minutes later we had to remind the waiter to bring it. Same thing happened with the bread. It was a Monday night so they were not that busy. Have been on Saturday nights and never had a problem with the service. Good value for money and nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningFoodie54Dined on 9/7/2014Food was good but service was a little lacking. Sitting outside on a nice evening in Chicago was priceless.Special Features:
- great food, lively neighborhoodchitowngrrlVIPDined on 9/6/2014we had dinner outside on one of the last nice nights of the summer and everyone was out. service was good, once they realized we were there. Wine list interesting, bistrot salad excellent, as was the duck. steak frite had great flies and good flavor but steak could have been more tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014My husband had the frite steak and it was tough and the frites were skiing & crunchy he won't come back. I had the walleye and loved it.Special Features:
- Great choice!AgirlsgottaeatDined on 9/4/2014Perfect for a fancy dinner or dessert. Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night let downESQFoodieDined on 8/24/2014I have been told that Sunday night is the worst night for restaurants in terms of quality and it proved to be true here. Nothing specifically went wrong aside from being empty and slow. Also the escargot was only mediocre. Mainly I'm disappointed because I proudly intended to show off to my friend who just moved from LA and it frizzled. I've been here a half a dozen times before and each time, I was more impressed then the last time. Well not Sunday. My expectations were not meet. Our waitress was nice and all so hats off to her. It's just that the over all experience was lacking, especially compared to all the other times. Bottomline: experience this authentic neighborhood gem but avoid going on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time even betterBluegrassMDDined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Bistrot Margot. It was absolutely delightful. French comfort food. And the profiteroles were a perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceLeFranceGourmetDined on 8/23/2014We've been loyal fans of Bistro Margot for 15-plus years. The food is exceptional and we can say that based on our love of French cooking (Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg and Nice). We honeymooned as college students in Montreal and Quebec City 44 years ago and had our first taste of French-Canadian cuisine. Once we had enough money to really travel, it was off to France. After Chicago's La Bastille was demolished to make way for a parking lot at State and Superior, we searched for something as good or better and that's when we discovered Bistro Margot. The food is authentic French with a great and ever-changing wine list The service is superb. It's the closest to actually being in France, yet for us, only a 40-mile drive into Chicago's Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodBarbaraVIPDined on 8/23/2014We made last minute reservations and still got a nice table. Both my husband and I really liked our meals. Prepared excellently, salads, meats and dessert. The service was very good, attentive and not pushy. Only issue was my husband kept getting bumped when tables around us was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid dining exp in a great spotSiciliannuDined on 8/23/2014Our group had duck, steak and two fish dishes that were all well prepared. Had decent table outside as well. The wine list is limited - just an fyi -- and even some of the listed wines weren't availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLouis14Dined on 8/20/2014This was my first time here. I have been to Paris many times and the food here is just as good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DelightfulFredVIPDined on 8/9/2014Fantastic menu, wonderfully prepared and served, and most delicious. We wish we were locals so that we could become regulars...and we would! Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Incredible food!!!!!ChicoDined on 8/6/2014I came to Bistrot Margot looking for a nice place to take my wife for our anniversary. I was impressed by the service and the place is just fabulous. What can I say about the food??? We are very critic when it comes to food and Bistrot Margot enchanted us with dreamlike flavors. Thanks for an unforgettable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistrot Margo a Gem in the CityCathyDined on 7/30/2014Loved Bistro Margo. It has been an institution on Wells Street! The food was exceptional and the ambience was outstanding. Thank you Doppes for giving the City a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice saturday lunhboboDined on 7/26/2014Very accommodating for our party of 5. Service was excellent and let us sit for a nice lengthly time to catch up with people we hadn't seen in years. Nice job Bistro MargotSpecial Features:
- Excellent pre-theatre dinnerCanadatravellerDined on 7/24/2014We dined here before seeing a show at Second City which is just down the street. They were very accomodating in ensuring we would be timely, the food was excellent as was the service. Their servers are also knowledgeable in recommending wines. We would have enjoyed lingering after dinner if we had the time. The ambience is very lovely! We first tried Bistro Margot on our first trip to Chicago two years ago and it remains just as good as it was then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodexpectgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/20/2014I enjoy this place and go back often. I really appreciate the atmosphere and service. You can always count on good food here. Their specials are always very good and I think they have the best omelets in town.Special Features:
- one of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014We love this place and eat there two to three times in a month. If you have not tried this hot spot you should get it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice & Enjoyable.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014Went to dinner on a Friday night and it was never full inside. Thought our server did a nice job of recognizing that we wanted to enjoy and take our time. No rush at all. He was courteous and thoughtful. Didnt have the best knowledge of the menu. The food was fine. Nothing exciting or mind blowing but fine. I would suggest this place if you were looking for a simple, uncomplicated & easy dining experience.
- Cold food and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014An overcooked and cold steak, drowned in a congealed pepper sauce. Frits that were greasy, soggy and cold. Server tossed plates onto the table. No attention to the basic details of service. Disappointed and not returning anytime soon.
- Excellent.LampertDined on 7/15/2014Four diners. Three five-star entrees, one a four-star... Pork loin was a tiny tad on dry side. Duck was marvelous and cooked perfectly. But the absolute best entree was the veal... Perfect and succulent and to die for! Mussels were fresh and sauce a delight. Fave dessert was the strawberry rhubarb crisp, but apple tart was fabulous, light, and not too sweet-- made in the elegant French way. We will all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodChappyDined on 7/15/2014I was in Chicago with a girlfriend of mine and this restaurant was recommended to us because it was close to second city where we were going later that evening. I had the veal and my girlfriend had the white fish both were excellent. The portion sizes are very generous and the salads are very reasonably priced and tasty as well. i would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features: