1437 N. Wells
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrotmargot.com/
- Phone: (312) 587-3660
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 9 PM
Tuesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM 10 PM
Wednesday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Thursday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 10 PM
Friday: Lunch 11:30 AM - 4 PM; Dinner 4 PM - 11 PM
Saturday Brunch: 10 AM - 3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 11 PM
Sunday Brunch 10 AM-3 PM; Dinner 3 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joe Doppes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Half-Price Wine on Mondays, $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe on Wednesdays.
Mother's Day Brunch is coming up on May 12. $26.95 Three-Course Prix Fixe available, featuring many of the chef's special creations!
A word from Bistrot Margot
Bistrot Margot is a family-owned, authentic French bistro that features regional French cooking in an Art Nouveau environment. We are known for our friendly, upscale service, our affordable prices, and our neighborhood feel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistrot Margot reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (44)special occasion (40)romantic (35)great for outdoor dining (31)great for brunch (26)great for lunch (24)good for groups (19)notable wine list (19)hot spot (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Another Wonderful Holiday Dinner at Bistrot MargotAngelaDVIPDined on 11/27/2014Bistrot Margot is our favorite restaurant for the holidays. We have enjoyed MANY meals here for Thanksgiving as well as Easter. This year's Thanksgiving meal was no exception. With traditional offerings and several other delicious, unique options they make a fabulous 3-course meal at a fantastic price served by friendly, happy and wonderful staff. We love Bistrot Margot for brunch as well as dinner and we especially love to spend the holidays with them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old friend revisitedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/26/2014My wife and I ate here about 8 years ago, but hadn't been back. Now I don't understand why. A good bistro menu, excellent food, friendly and efficient staff, and on Wednesday nights, a three-course dinner for $30: any appetizer or salad, any entree, any desert. I promise it won't be 8 years before our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Food was great, everyhting we ordered was very delicious, service was great, overalled we trully enjoyed the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold Standard!vcefaliVIPDined on 11/22/2014Bistrot Margot is my Gold Standard restaurant in Chicago! The ambiance is charming and the food is fantastic all the time. I have never had such good frittes! I love taking people here and enjoying good company over wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Some of the best food we have had.. Would go back if I'm in Chicago again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum!TammyADined on 11/16/2014Super friendly! Loved the service and the food is really great!! I had the french toast and it was perfect for brunch! I really like this place and I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- quiet and delicious brunchNadineYVIPDined on 11/15/2014Went for a late brunch on a Saturday and the restaurant was very quiet. everyone enjoyed their meal, and the service was fantastic. Our server brought a little to-go box of bread after one of our party commented how much he liked the bread. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy CafebillDined on 11/13/2014Warm, friendly atmosphere and excellent service marked our early dinner before we attended an enjoyable 2nd City revue. The celery root soup was just the thing on a cold evening as light jazz played in the background and we sipped our S.B. K's chicken was a little dry and mustard lacked tanginess, while my pepper steak was a little strange and overwhelmed by the 'frites'. Nevertheless the meal was very satisfying, good quality, and well-prepared. 170 including tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulMamaTemboVIPDined on 11/9/2014Lovely place. Dependably good. Our brunch was just yummy: eggs florentine and eggs with smokedsalmon - both excellent. Nicely serve with al dente French green beans and wonderful home fries. The same price as my "meh" breakfast the day before at Batter and Berries - way better meal and value and ambiance at Bistrot Margot.Special Features:
- DisappointedanonymousDined on 11/7/2014The food was good, but our server was completely uninterested in attending to our party of 8. She took ages to show up to take our orders, from drinks, to the main course, to dessert. It would have ruined the evening, if the people in our party weren't such good sports.
- 11/7/2014DanoverVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great evening as usual....the complimentary appetizers were a welcome surprise.Special Features:
- not worthygreatfoodDined on 11/5/2014The food was decent but not excellent. The noise is unbelievable. Overall, not worth the price.
- liked it a lotChurchillVIPDined on 11/1/2014I liked Bistro Margot. I had not been there in years and years and was happy to return. I had the mussels and a fish and really enjoyed both. The service was good and I liked the ambiance. It is friendly and open and I did not find it noisy. I recommend a visit here.Special Features:
- Very Fine Local GemJimmyDined on 10/31/2014I had some great friends in town and decided to take them to Bistro Margot for some great food and local place where we could relax and re-live some old times and memories. Our waiter was very astute to our needs and let us take our time and relax and be ourselves. Chef / Owner Joe doppes stopped by our table to make sure we were enjoying the meals and the service...what a great touch.Special Features:
- Excellent luncheon special!JamesDined on 10/30/2014We each had a luncheon special—a half-sandwich, a bowl of soup and a creme brullee. It was all absolutely wonderful and for only $10.95! I'd especially recommend the onion soup and the creme brulee which were among the best we've ever had!Special Features:
- Excellent food, too loudCOnativeDined on 10/25/2014I would give 5 stars if it hadn't been so loud. I would certainly not recommend for a romantic dinner. The food was great, the service was efficient. I have no answer for changing the noise level....women (I hate to bash my own gender) seemed to be trying to outdo each other that night. Men sitting with them were just sitting there, not being able to get a word in edgewise. We had trouble hearing each other across the table and we are not hearing impaired. We were glad to get out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal with great service!FoodieGalDined on 10/25/2014We each had an item off the specials menu, the Magret de Canard and the Boef Bourgogne. Delicious! I will say however, the Magret de Canard was very special, indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryandsteveDined on 10/25/2014Ab-so-lute-ly the best food we have had in forever!!!! The duck and the filet w/ bordelaise was beyond our expectations. (Wish you would bottle that bordelaise!!) Desserts were SO good! Thank you for making our trip to Chicago so memorable!!!Special Features:
- A taste of Paris in Chi townKandKDined on 10/24/2014Authentic Parisian decor and charm. Great French classics and some American fare as well. There is a small outdoor area to eat, relax and kick back at. Prix fix lunch options. They participate with Open Table making reservations a snap. If you want a taste of Paris or are just tiding your pelf over before a return trip to the City of Lights, Bistrot Margot is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We need to come more oftenmfc2VIPDined on 10/23/2014We have been here many times and always wonder why we don't come more often. It is as good a neighborhood bistro as you will find anywhere including Paris. The service though is better than Paris. I don't think we have ever had an item that we didn't enjoy. The setting is a little shop worn and could use some updating and the noise level is more than we like but maybe that's because we are of an older generation. It does seem though that the piped in music competes with the conversations and between the two and the lack of good sound insulation it is very loud. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Delicious DuckGourmetGalVIPDined on 10/22/2014Good location near 2nd City and very good value. The roast duck was so moist and would have been fantastic if it wasn't drowning in too sweet barbeque sauce. Service was pleasant and the restaurant was warm and cozy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Food was good, but short of that required to be special.
- cold foodcherylVIPDined on 10/19/2014I love everything about Bistro Margot, especially their weekend brunches. The only problem is that quite often the food is not warm when served. I had the eggs benedict and they were only lukewarm. I have sent back food for this reason in the past.Special Features:
- KAMIDined on 10/18/2014Great service, excellent french menu at reasonable prices, wine list was appropriate and well priced.Special Features:
- Bistro Margot eveningJohn1LDined on 10/16/2014There were two in our party. We started w an appet of pate which was wonderful. Dinner was lamb chops which were incredible and half a duck which was also tasty. We decided not to have dessert bc we were already "full". Next time ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The salad was perfect. The main courses were average. The worst part was the swelling after from food additives.Special Features:
- Lovely French bistroIrishboy714Dined on 10/10/2014Upon entering the restaurant we were immediately struck by the warm and inviting Belle Epoque decor. The menu is classic French bistro; ths escargot (one of my favorites) are excellent, as was the main dish. The chicken was moist, tender and very tasty and the sauce was very well constructed. This is a lovely place for a nice evening out.Special Features:
- A must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Service was outstanding and food was very good. Valet parking in a busy neighborhood made it very convenient. We will be back.Special Features:
- They know how to cook!JBMWDined on 9/20/2014It is always a delight to find a place where they know how to prepare food. The combination of specific elements, textures and tastes working to together to collectively produce a taste sensation is a wonderful thing.........and they do it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...FfpedVIPDined on 9/19/2014Slow service. French onion soup was mostly bread and cheese. Bread was soggy. Steak frites- poor quality meat and a terrible green sauce... Used to be a bistro if much nicer quality... Too many other good restaurants and bistros to return here again. Felt more like a diner than a bistro...
- They made our occasion special.ScottVIPDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were celebrating her birthday and a sentinel event in our lives. The chef agreed to serve us a special dish not on his menu. It was wonderful! The entire staff new we were coming, what we were celebrating and what we had pre ordered. We loved both the ambiance and the special service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantCromagnonDined on 9/13/2014Their first visit, probably our fifth or sixth. Food was excellent quality and not unreasonably priced. Better selection of craft beers would be nice, but thank God for one or two. Bistro food was made for beer, in spite of French origen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9/12/2014DanoverVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always a great experience, excellent food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealsage1Dined on 9/8/2014We had visitors from Ireland and we all had a wonderful dinner. Our guests particularly enjoyed the sauce with the Roast Pork. Excellent choices on the menu. The only negative would be that the service was a little lacking. For example, our guest ordered a beer and 10 minutes later we had to remind the waiter to bring it. Same thing happened with the bread. It was a Monday night so they were not that busy. Have been on Saturday nights and never had a problem with the service. Good value for money and nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningFoodie54Dined on 9/7/2014Food was good but service was a little lacking. Sitting outside on a nice evening in Chicago was priceless.Special Features:
- great food, lively neighborhoodchitowngrrlVIPDined on 9/6/2014we had dinner outside on one of the last nice nights of the summer and everyone was out. service was good, once they realized we were there. Wine list interesting, bistrot salad excellent, as was the duck. steak frite had great flies and good flavor but steak could have been more tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014My husband had the frite steak and it was tough and the frites were skiing & crunchy he won't come back. I had the walleye and loved it.Special Features:
- Great choice!AgirlsgottaeatDined on 9/4/2014Perfect for a fancy dinner or dessert. Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night let downESQFoodieDined on 8/24/2014I have been told that Sunday night is the worst night for restaurants in terms of quality and it proved to be true here. Nothing specifically went wrong aside from being empty and slow. Also the escargot was only mediocre. Mainly I'm disappointed because I proudly intended to show off to my friend who just moved from LA and it frizzled. I've been here a half a dozen times before and each time, I was more impressed then the last time. Well not Sunday. My expectations were not meet. Our waitress was nice and all so hats off to her. It's just that the over all experience was lacking, especially compared to all the other times. Bottomline: experience this authentic neighborhood gem but avoid going on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time even betterBluegrassMDDined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Bistrot Margot. It was absolutely delightful. French comfort food. And the profiteroles were a perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.