1118 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrotlafayette.com/
- Phone: 7035482525
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Keo Koumtakoun
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 40 people - private bar - hard wood floor very cozy and romantic, candlelight - no charge if 20 people or more. Prix fixe available.
- Entertainment: FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT , PIANO BAR SING ALONG UPSTAIRS FROM 9 PM TO CLOSING. PAT ROHER AT THE PIANO.
- Special Events: MOTHER'S DAY SUNDAY MAY 8 2011 - We are open from 11.30 am to 3 PM with a $35.00 prix fix menu. (multiple choice) please call for reservation. And for dinner from 4.30 PM to 9 PM. SPECIAL OFFER - Make your reservation by calling 703.548-2525 by Wednesday night by 10.00 PM and receive a free glass of Champagne.
A word from Bistrot Lafayette
Bistrot Lafayette is a traditional Parisian Bistrot- cozy, friendly and great food. Voted number 1 French restaurant with AOL CITY GUIDE for 2007 - reviewed with Washington Post magazine, Washingtonian, local newspapers. 50% off wine list every Mondays, with purchase of entree. Outdoor seating is available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistrot Lafayette reviews from OpenTable diners
- Sadly, we were told that theGiGiVIPDined on 11/29/2012Sadly, we were told that the restaurant will close before Christmas. It has been a mainstay in Old Town for years and will be missed.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant in OldOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/28/2012Wonderful restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. The filet is absolutely the best I've had in quite a while and we dine out at 5 star restaurants around the country frequently. You will not be disappointed with your dining experience at Bistrot.Special Features:
- This was an above-averageThe3CsDined on 11/26/2012This was an above-average visit to an excellent restaurant. The grilled tuna and cassoulet were outstanding. Go on Monday evenings for the half-price bottles of wine.Special Features:
- Good French Food for Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2012The pate was an excellent starter. The portions were surprisingly large and the menu offered a wide selection. We had the trout special and loved it.Special Features:
- A great thanksgiving tradition.4eatsDined on 11/22/2012A great thanksgiving tradition. While most of the guest were enjoying a traditional roast turkey(and it did look moist & tender) my wife and I enjoyed salmon with capers and beef bourguignon. The meal was great. We topped it off with coffee and cream brulee and went home very satisfiedSpecial Features:
- Chicken fricassee was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/14/2012Chicken fricassee was excellent but needed more sauce. Homemade soup was delicious and he pate was good as always.
- My wife really liked thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2012My wife really liked this place. I enjoyed myself as well.Special Features:
- The tuna tartare and the musselsRed52VIPDined on 11/6/2012The tuna tartare and the mussels and frites were excellent as usual.Special Features:
- My wife took me to Bistrot4eatsDined on 11/3/2012My wife took me to Bistrot for my birthday. The food, the service, and my dining partner made it a wonderful experience. Very romantic and the meal was superb.Special Features:
- Solid middle-of-the-road frenchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012Solid middle-of-the-road french restaurant. It's good, not great.
- Great food......only issueRosebudVIPDined on 10/20/2012Great food......only issue was we were at a really small table in a crowded corner.......Special Features:
- Visit number 4 to this restaurant,The3CsDined on 10/18/2012Visit number 4 to this restaurant, and it has been consistently excellent. The food uses highest-quality ingredients and is well-prepared. Service has been exceptional. Check out the half-price bottles of wine on Mondays.Special Features:
- the food just ok nothing typicalGeorgeVIPDined on 10/16/2012the food just ok nothing typical French, just the name :) Tables are too close together you can move. old house smell ..
- The food was excellent. IEDinerVIPDined on 10/13/2012The food was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to tables of 2 - 4 people. They experienced a traditional evening out - excellent food delivered in a timely manner. The timing of delivery of our dinner was unacceptable. We were told that upstairs was a group of 20 and that was the problem of preparing and delivering our own large group's food. It's not our problem. We did not choose to sit 1 1/2 hours without dinner. The wait staff was gracious. The manager was defensive.
- Flash fried escargot was excellentNewfanVIPDined on 10/6/2012Flash fried escargot was excellent as was the baked salmon. One in our party had a filet and asked for vegetable substitute for french fries. Very disappointed in quality of vegetables. We have dined here a number of times and in general our experience has been very good but with the occasional lapse where there shouldn't be one.Special Features:
- I went there Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2012I went there Sunday night for a last-minutes birthday dinner with my husband. It was almost empty, and that made me wonder. The foie gras with pear had a nice sauce and not too bad, but though the menu said "5 pieces," there were only three pieces. French onion soup was not very good, and had what looked like a slice of wonder bread on top of the bowl, and not in the soup, which made it very hard to eat. Moules (mussels) were small and shriveled, and barely acceptable. Beuf Bourginion was mostly pasta and not so good either. Overall, we decided we will not be going back there. I wish Open Talbe would be a bit more discriminating about giving stars. Almost every restaurant has 4 stars, and many of them are worth only one or two.
- A solid performerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/15/2012We've been here several times, and we always enjoy it. Nice selection of French bistro "comfort food" like cassoulet, as well as a solid menu. Nothing huge or flamboyant, but the choices are always good. Same for the wine list. It's not massive and you won't find any trophy wines, but there's something for everyone.Special Features:
- Nice people, lousy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Good atmosphere. The New England chowder was watery and uninspiring. The mousse clearly came out of a commercial container, with a whip cream can added. While the duck entree was decent, it's clear the chef is mailing his/her performance in. The waitstaff are friendly. Given that the food is not acceptable at the listed prices (let alone French bistro expectations), I won't be going back.
- We have dined many times inlhmiVIPDined on 9/2/2012We have dined many times in this bistro - but the last three times we have been called by the restaurant requesting that we change our reservation and come in earlier - usually about TWO HOURS earlier. So if you are planning a late evening meal, it is not assured that your reservation will be honored as requested.
- Went as a group of five. QuaintJeffDined on 9/2/2012Went as a group of five. Quaint little French restaurant complete with French waiter, who although attentive, had moments of French snootyness. Wine & food selections were typical. I had the flash fried escargot as an appetizer. Should have had a large plate of that for an entree if it had been available. It was excellent. Pate appetizer far less appealing or imgainative, mostly dull. I had the mussells. A lot in the bowl but they were very small. The wife had the special ribeye. I always warn her not have a steak special if it is covered in sauce. Usually it is a lesser cut of beef. Sure enough, it was grissely and even through the bleu cheese sauce you could taste the over-charred flavor. Too many french restaurants to return.
- Charming French restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/22/2012Charming French restaurant with an eclectic menu. Excellent crab and avacodo salad and the salmon was grilled perfectly.Special Features:
- Finish StrongMikeandLoVIPDined on 8/11/2012Overall our meal was not bad, just not flavorful. Everything was a little under seasoned. The Lobster Bisque was tasty but not rich. The flavor grew on you. We the Chicken Fricassee was nice and light. Again it was under seasoned but the flavor grew on us. The Walnut Parfait was the highlight. They say you should finish strong and they did with the dessert. This was enough for us to decide that we need to come back and try again.Special Features:
- We had 3 adults and 4 childrenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012We had 3 adults and 4 children (5,6,12 &15). This can always be challenging. However, the wait staff immediately recognized our situation and quickly seated us, had bread on the table, took our wine and little persons' order and then dealt with the older folks. It's amazing how French restaurants "get" that ..... With the kids being able to snack and the adults able to imbibe all else quickly fell into place and our experience was truly a pleasure ....great food and service ....Special Features:
- Excellent always. At 9pm4eatsDined on 8/4/2012Excellent always. At 9pm on a Saturday night, every table was taken. That says it allSpecial Features:
- Half the menu wasn't availableShannonVIPDined on 8/3/2012Half the menu wasn't available and what was available was sub par.
- We miss items from the oldAlex2dineVIPDined on 7/7/2012We miss items from the old menu which were very special -- such as the grilled shrimp with potatoes and vegetables.
- On June 15, my husband andIndianFoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2012On June 15, my husband and I were celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary and so we decided on Bistrot Lafayette for this special event because we had enjoyed great dinners there in the past. After we ordered cocktails, our waiter gave us our menus without telling us about the specials for that evening and he had to be prompted by us to do so. When we placed our orders , we were only then told that both the Cassoulet and Lamb Shank entrees were off because they had run out of lamb shanks. My husband had wanted the Cassoulet and so had to completely rethink his dinner order. The starters were mixed – a delicious Tuna Tartare but an undistinguished Pâté which lacked flavor. Then, before we had even received our entrees, the waiter presente
- Typical French bistro.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/9/2012Ordered Ceasar salad and hanger steak with frites. All perfection. I would also recommend the lamb shank which was fall-off-the-bone tender! Only complaint was the rather long wait between the salad and the entree, and they were out of the wine we had chosen though they were quick to suggest a fine alternative.Special Features:
- The room is worn, but thediningoutVIPDined on 5/20/2012The room is worn, but the food is lovely and the staff is casual, friendly, engaging without being over-familiar. I'd go again if I lived near-by.Special Features:
- We were there for an early-eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2012We were there for an early-evening (6:30 p.m.) anniversary dinner. There was a bit of a scramble when we arrived, as if they weren't quite ready for the dinner crowd. The waiter seemed a bit flustered (maybe he was new?) and stumbled over the evening's special items. The food was very good, but we decided to forego dessert there in lieu of strolling the surrounding area of Old Town Alexandria and finding an upscale ice cream parlor. Nothing major to complain about, just not in the "top 50" of all the restaurants we've experienced during our 30-plus years in the DC area.Special Features:
- Acceptable French food, butPeteVIPDined on 5/16/2012Acceptable French food, but there are several better choices in the area. By location, this restaurant tends to cater to walk-in trade versus the locals. Nothing wrong with that, but the food doesn't hold up to the competition.
- The food was excellent asOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2012The food was excellent as was the service. They have a very friendly staff who will go out of their way to please their customers. Everything on the menu sounded so amazing that it was difficult to decide what to order. The prices are not as expensive as other restaurants I've been to with this type of top notch food. I can't wait to go back and try the rest of the items on the menu.Special Features:
- Foodies bewareOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/6/2012I'm not sure were to begin, but it was bad.. The French onion soup had the thick web of cardboardesque 'bread' (I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I have not eaten anything like this before and hope I never do again) with melted cheese on it, served as a kind of lid over the bowl of soup. The good news was I could take of off, the bad news was I couldn't cut it with a knife and fork, or eat it. The onion soup (no coupons, no bread with melted cheese, no layer of melted cheese over the top - so essentially onions in a broth) could have done with a little seasoning, but was ok Mussels and fites - usually a fairly safe bet in a French restaurant, was bad and both were clearly frozen - nuff said
- If you are hankering for unpretentiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/4/2012If you are hankering for unpretentious, really classic food in a classic bistro setting, Lafayette is great - be prepared to pay top dollar for it, though.Special Features:
- Very nice menu and deliciousAnonVIPDined on 5/1/2012Very nice menu and delicious food. The restaurant decor could use a fresh coat of paint.
- Charming and DeliciousEmptyStomachDined on 4/29/2012Just got home from a wonderful dinner at Bistrot Lafayette.The place is cozy and comfortable and the service was excellent. We started with grilled calamari with olives, red peppers and garlic in a delicious sauce that was the perfect foil for fresh hot, French bread. My friend devoured his entrée, a lamb shank cassoulet. I settled on a five-spice duck breast, sliced thin and fanned out around a delicious poached pear in a lemon and honey sauce. We closed the meal with a great warm chocolate fondant with white chocolate and dark chocolate sauce. I love to end a restaurant meal with a cup of coffee and Bistrot Lafayette did not disappoint. My only concern is that they won't be able to hold a candle to this meal the next time I show up!Special Features:
- Steak Tartar was great andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2012Steak Tartar was great and so was my Lamb Shank. Great Place. We will go back.Special Features:
- The staff was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012The staff was outstanding, was a very warm and welcoming environment. The food is amazing and completely worth the price. Would definately recommend it.Special Features:
- It is well known french peopleCorinneDined on 4/27/2012It is well known french people like to complain. Well I am French and I cannot find a single thing to complain about Bistrot lafayette. We have dined there a few times now and there is never a surprise. The food is always excellent. The ambiance brings me back to France each time.. It is for me one of the true authentic french restaurant in the DC area. We just love it and the prices are very decent. I highly recommend it. Check out also their early dinner special.Special Features:
- This was our second visit,The3CsDined on 4/27/2012This was our second visit, this time to celebrate the son of a friend getting a job. The food was excellent; if anything even better that the first visit. The wine list is small, but has selections from all over the world, including some areas not often seen on menus here. Service was excellent overall; the only real flaw was our waiter filling the wine glasses to the rim. We went early on a Friday evening, and it was not crowded, although it was full by the time we finished. The piano bar upstairs is supposed to be very good.Special Features: